Toji and Hikari's Relationship in NME

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Who gives a shit? Their relationship doesn't effect anything, it's not what new fans are here to see, and there's so much shit going on that we just can't spare the fucking time for some relationship fodder.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Plus the whole city got 'energy condensed' by god-mode Shinji so they're dead and gone anyway. They served absolutely no purpose (Hikari never even became Asuka's friend this time around) and are best just forgotten.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:17 pm

It doesn't matter.

At all.

But the thread still exists.

Why?

No idea.

Yossarian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yossarian » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Plus the whole city got 'energy condensed' by god-mode Shinji so they're dead and gone anyway. They served absolutely no purpose (Hikari never even became Asuka's friend this time around) and are best just forgotten.
I doubt they're dead for the sole reason that Pen Pen is with them. I mean, they wouldn't kill their cute animal mascot? Would they?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 pm

People need to chill out and keep it civil in this thread, ok? Furthermore, if you don't like a thread, then don't bother replying in it.

Yossarian: It's possible Toji and the others died in the blast from the 10th Angel, just like it's possible that they evacuated ala episode 24. Q should clear things up at least.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Yossarian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yossarian » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Yossarian: It's possible Toji and the others died in the blast from the 10th Angel, just like it's possible that they evacuated ala episode 24. Q should clear things up at least.

Yeah, their fate is really up in the air, with all the damage Zeruel, Unit-00, and later the failed 3I did. I'm hoping they are okay though, always liked the three. Mostly because they had a lot of potential as characters, potential I doubt we'll see in rebuild though.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:27 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It doesn't matter.

At all.

Why?
Because the "Interesting little details" thread was closed for being a "pot pourri" thread, so every little detail that doesn't fit into another thread needs a thread of its own.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It doesn't matter.

At all.

Why?

No idea.

I would say, this thread is semi-troll but a legitimate one.
You ask me, i think the-pot-pourri thread, was better for the role it stood for, since now every little shit, can/will get its own thread, and people can justify that by pointing out on that original thread and say "but i wanna discuss this and there generic thread was closed dude!11" But i am not mod.
So yeah.
Last edited by the_seventh_child on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Yossarian: It's possible Toji and the others died in the blast from the 10th Angel, just like it's possible that they evacuated ala episode 24. Q should clear things up at least.

Interestingly, in NGE ep 19, everyone in Tokyo-3 was evacuated into the GeoFront, along with Shinji. When Eva-02's severed head smashes open the wall of the shelter, there's other people there and some of them get squished. However, in 2.0, Shinji is all alone in the shelter. Since it's very unlikely that all of Tokyo-3 is huddled into the shelter, but Shinji still found a nice, big deserted room all for himself, the implication is that everyone was evacuated elsewhere. I say the '24 scenario is implied here.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 am

Anno is remarkably subtle on the cinematographic level. As we know from say, the Episode 22 Montages, Anno is able to imply tons of meaning through a single shot. Just because something is hinted at in a couple of shots doesn't mean Anno thought of it as irrelevant.

Hell, the sheer lack of shots that it's in is probably more of a remark on how "under-the-radar" the relationship is. I'm sure Kensuke and Shinji are completely oblivious to anything going on between Hikari and Toji.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 pm

re: OP, i don't know if that shot was supposed to mean anything, but i "awwwwww"-ed. :nyao: i figure that's what anno was going for. and this fandom, filled as it is with crazy observant people, is all about the continuity nods/mythology gags, so it's no wonder they added that little bit.

you can't really infer they like each other from that blink-and-you'll-miss-it-moment, let alone draw any conclusions of their relationship from such a vague gesture, but... heck if it's not a fanfic waiting to happen. :toothy:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:re: OP, i don't know if that shot was supposed to mean anything, but i "awwwwww"-ed. :nyao: i figure that's what anno was going for. and this fandom, filled as it is with crazy observant people, is all about the continuity nods/mythology gags, so it's no wonder they added that little bit.

you can't really infer they like each other from that blink-and-you'll-miss-it-moment, let alone draw any conclusions of their relationship from such a vague gesture, but... heck if it's not a fanfic waiting to happen. :toothy:

Anno never goes for "awwwwww"-moments. He goes for "ooooooooh. wtf just happened."

Fanfic is anothing story though,.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Anno never goes for "awwwwww"-moments.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:55 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Anno never goes for "awwwwww"-moments. He goes for "ooooooooh. wtf just happened."

no, he does give us a few "awwww" moments. he just goes through a lot of effort later on to make it obvious that those moments were worth crap in the grand scheme of things. :tongue: you gotta give the audience little moments like that to make them feel happy, because the happier they feel now, the worse they'll feel when you make everything go to hell. :nod:

@NAveryW-- i am totally going to use that screencap as my wallpaper. the adorableness! :nyao:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:10 pm

carla wrote:i figure that's what anno was going for. and this fandom, filled as it is with crazy observant people, is all about the continuity nods/mythology gags, so it's no wonder they added that little bit.

You appear to be missing the fact that Anno is a masterful filmmaker.

His utilization of complicated elements like the flash-sign montage is proof enough of that, regardless of all of the subtlety within the narrative itself.

A filmmaker always puts great care into each one of his shots before deciding to use them in a film.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Image

Ok, i take that statement back. He did go for it. Once.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:You appear to be missing the fact that Anno is a masterful filmmaker.

oh, believe me, i would never forget that fact. anno's genius is pretty much ever-present in my mind. so much, i may or may not have a shrine to anno in my bedroom closet. :bigeyes:

he clearly had a reason for adding that detail in there; he didn't just pop in something random as padding. i was just saying that his reason doesn't necessarily have to be to make a plot point. sometimes scenes are added solely for the sake of the audience-- in fact, in a lot of cases those scenes that a non-fan might find irrelevant are what completely makes the movie for the fandom.

touji and hikari might not even appear again in the following movies, but i'll always have that little bit to look back on. that alone tells me anno took great care to put that little scene in, precisely thinking of us (the fans of the original), and i appreciate that. :kawaii:

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:27 am

Did anno even had anything to do whit hikari crushing on toji in the original series? There were other people writing the eps whit him, so that may not had ben his call. In the live action scene that was cut from EOE he had toji and Asuka in a loveless relationship. Hikari barley has a personality or any development in all 3 canon series. She nothing more but a worthless love interest to a guy who never really notice her feelings. Anime and manga has a bad habit using that lousy troop rather it a guy or a girl. In rebuild she not even a love interest, her character is more flat due to her not getting any real screen time nor is she friends whit Asuka. I have nothing againts her character and I think she and T-sizzle make a fine pair along whit being one of the two paring that comes off being stable and safe where a guy wont strangle a girl on a beach. Yet she has no important roll in eva other then a pointless romance that never goes anywhere. What really bother me how she got more screen time in the later half of the series then kensuke who has some development and a personality only to get ass out for a pointless romance that never went anywhere? Unless the writers felt that toji and hikari can't carry their own characters so by putting them together solve that problem. On the other hand Kensuke can carry his own character like he did in the second half of ep 4 and in the second rebuild movie he has more screen time and a bigger speaking roll then both H&T. Seem like he was gonna have even more bigger roll...until plans changed. I don't know what the hell going on now But I do hope this trio is alive. I also notice how right before the final battle in both movies they would should these 3 together along whit pen pen hinting at something involving them in the future. If that true then the only person who seem to have any roll at this point of the story is kensuke.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 am

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Hikari barley has a personality or any development in all 3 canon series.

That's a bit harsh.

What really bother me how she got more screen time in the later half of the series then kensuke who has some development and a personality

This is unimportant, because neither has a long-term role in the story - they serve as examples of normality against which to view the developing problems of Shinji and Asuka.

But I do hope this trio is alive.

It seems likely to me. Sakura survived, and her big brother is likely to have been with her, looking out for her. It's reasonable that all four were together or in the same area when shit went down.

If that true then the only person who seem to have any roll at this point of the story is kensuke.

As I implied above, I doubt that very much.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It seems likely to me. Sakura survived, and her big brother is likely to have been with her, looking out for her. It's reasonable that all four were together or in the same area when shit went down.

I tend to agree.

Regarding the OP, I think that might have just been Touji being his chauvinistic self -- i.e., Hikari's a girl, so he has to protect her since that's what guys are supposed to do. Doesn't necessarily imply anything (though I'm all over the fanfic bandwagon on that one, don't get me wrong).

As I implied above, I doubt that very much.

If we see any of the three in Final I would expect it to be, in order, Touji (because Sakura), Hikari (because Touji), and only then Kensuke (because he tags along). Guy offers nothing to the story on his own, and barely anything with the others, so I doubt we'll see much of him.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”