Mari Discussion/Speculation: Version 2.22

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

her just sensing generic doom on the way is also a viable option, but in any case, the chances that we'll be seeing the MP evas in Rebuild is very small.

The more the story advances, the more it's gonna go off the rails. And the MP Evas are something that appears fairly late in the series... they would be 4.0 material. And we already have gotten hints that the only thing that will look nostalgic about Q will be Kaworu's arc. Anno's talked about "getting the old stuff over with in 2.0".
None of their foreshadowing was kept ("there shouldn't have been plans for anything after Unit five" as oposed to the constant background mumbling about EVAs in contruction in episodes 7 and... 23? 24? Not sure. It has Hyuuga and Misato on a bench) while more potential doomsday machines turn up by the second (Eva 06, Eva 08, isn't there something missing in-between?) with the talk about the "True Evangelion" and stuff.

It's funny to note that EVa 08's final design (not the one with the anchor visor, the recent one with those weird-ass eyes) sorta got the harpies' white/red color sheme.

I think the doomsday machine will be Eva 08 and not EVa 06, tough.
First, Eva 08 is the white one. Many creepy-ass things in this anime have come with the colors white and red.

also, eva 06 is Kaworu's toy and kaworu is the last angel, he must go before TI starts.
I think Anno is finally gone make up for that unspeakable sin of never showing us how exactly Shinji *totally pwned* the remote controlled EVA 02.
He just throws it out before him with a knife in its skull.
Would have been an instant badass moment if it wasn't overshadowed by the drama.
Maybe we'll get to see a proper mecha fight this time.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm

@Kendrix: would be cool. I hope to hear Soul's Refrain, Thantos, Ode to Joy, or Kanon d-Dur or something if we do though. :eva1_huff:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:59 am

I know something though. I want the plot to keep moving even if Instrumentality is halted. Like, yay, we averted instrument- wait... Now we have another thing in our hands... Something like that.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 am

^ There is a lot of potential with that. I'm hoping all this international intrigue is not just window dressing (as it was in NGE) and leads to actual conflict. Mari being on the front lines (or even causing) an Eva civil war could be fun.

Amitch1991
Adam

Postby Amitch1991 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:44 am

I'm convinced that Mari is working for/aligned with Seele, i'll be surprised if she isn't :P
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:59 am

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:Like, yay, we averted instrument- wait... Now we have another thing in our hands... Something like that.

Something like... Anima?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:48 am

I've suggested ANIMA to Strato before, haha.

Funny that.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Draconis
Adam

Postby Draconis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:49 pm

She's just fanservice at this point. If there's no explanation for why she's relevant and should get so much screen time, I'll be pissed.

Mana
Embryo

Postby Mana » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 pm

@ Warren Peace: I think I'll cry golden tears if there's a world war between Evas in Rebuild.
call me vapor instead of this account's displayhandle, please
(account is old, abandoned for years after briefly using it during 3.0's hype)

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:32 pm

View Original PostMana wrote:@ Warren Peace: I think I'll cry golden tears if there's a world war between Evas in Rebuild.
NERV vs the UN would make my dick rock hard. It wouldn't even have to make sense.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am

View Original PostClover wrote:NERV vs the UN would make my dick rock hard. It wouldn't even have to make sense.

Nerv is part of the UN, so... who would they be fighting? The entire UN, including themselves?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Nerv is part of the UN, so... who would they be fighting? The entire UN, including themselves?

The same can be said for the original series, until Gendo goes rogue. Then suddenly NERV goes from the UN's shining achievement to the dragon that must be slayed.

What bugged me about EoE was that it was just too much of a slaughterfest. I'm sure that in some way was Anno trying to out-Tomino "Kill 'em all" Tomino, and maybe even reflected Anno's attitude towards the Japanese media establishment for not letting him make the show entirely his way (notice that the Japanese government itself does all the dirty work in EoE). The battle of the GeoFront in EoE is so one-sided however that it ceases to be drama and converts into horror show.

ITOH having NERV and the UN split into sides and fighting each other, EVA on EVA, has possibilities that I would really like to see on screen.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:15 pm

View Original PostAmitch1991 wrote:I'm convinced that Mari is working for/aligned with Seele, i'll be surprised if she isn't :P

If Mari is working for Seele then that begs the question of who detonated the self destruct device for Eva-05? On the other hand, why would Seele want Mari dead?

Honestly, we haven't been given enough information on her to draw any conclusions on her motives (other than the fact that she simply enjoys piloting the Evas).

I would be interested in hearing why you think she's working for Seele though.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:07 pm

View Original PostGrand Duke of Yashima wrote:The same can be said for the original series, until Gendo goes rogue.

I was secretly aware of the implications, but nitpicking the phrasing. :p

Far as EoE goes, I see it as things being brought full circle. It's revealed that our species is the 18th Angel, and we see the JSSDF slaughter Nerv personnel as mechanically and brutally as Nerv personnel slaughtered the equally human Angels 3 thru 17.

Quadhonk wrote:If Mari is working for Seele then that begs the question

Raises the question.

of who detonated the self destruct device for Eva-05?

Mari doesn't seem too surprised by the fact that Eva-05 went up in a blazing cross.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Nerv is part of the UN, so... who would they be fighting? The entire UN, including themselves?
NATO..? Post-Second Impact politics were really muddy in the show. I just assumed NERV was an independent organization that received funding from the UN. If NERV wanted to wreck shit with their giant robots or take over a country, the UN's only defense would be cutting their funding and trying to shut them down. Did Japan even have a sovereign government or was it just run by the UN Planet Ruling Council?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:22 pm

^
Huh? The UN doesn't seem to work like a Federation government in Evangelion, the details are unclear but I see no reason to think that Japan isn't a sovereign country, they have their own army, independent from the UN one, which seems to be even more capable than real world Japanese "army", also in EoE, if it's fine to bring it up in absence of contradictions, we see Japan's PM and the Japanese government revoked Nerv's special legal status (something akin to extraterritoriality afaik, we see in Shinji's rebellion case that Nerv had its own jurisdiction at least on matters relevant to Nerv's operations).
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

View Original PostGrand Duke of Yashima wrote:What bugged me about EoE was that it was just too much of a slaughterfest. I'm sure that in some way was Anno trying to out-Tomino "Kill 'em all" Tomino, and maybe even reflected Anno's attitude towards the Japanese media establishment for not letting him make the show entirely his way (notice that the Japanese government itself does all the dirty work in EoE). The battle of the GeoFront in EoE is so one-sided however that it ceases to be drama and converts into horror show.

Eva is about the failure and inadequacies of authority figures. It's important that all of the adults are incompetent, malicious, or both, even the likeable ones. The reaction of the government and Mankind being the 18th Angel (and thus an enemy the same as the others) in EoE is an extension and completion of that theme. The overall narrative of the series is a metaphor for the failure of the leaders of the late twentieth century to rise from the ashes of the early twentieth century and build something better for their children; instead they are manipulative (Yui), self-centered (Gendo), aloof and resigned to going through the motions (Fuyutsuki), unable to see past short-sighted goals (Misato), secretive for the sake of it (Seele, Kaji), dedicated to upholding the system the know is corrupt for the sake of it (Ritsuko), and inflict their suffering on the children they manipulate and grind up in their machinations.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

A scene depicting mass slaughter should be a horror show. The visceral nature of it communicates how much danger Fuyutski and company are in. If the army was just going around Nerv creating random, bloodless explosions, the threat would not be so great. The film shows exactly what will happen to our heroes if those guys get in.

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm

I rejected Anima because the theme about the characters "becoming Evas" and the "Angel Carrier" wank and the like are just too weird for my taste. And I want something animated...

As you've seen, I'm not the only one liking this. As said by other voices, I'd welcome a global conflict with Evangelions, less like Anima and more like Code Geass/Macross Frontier/Guilty Gear. The reason Eva spin-offs don't do well at all and that the original scared potential watchers tell me Evangelion as a whole just likes going full blown towards one side. No wrong things have happened with this method, but by blending both concepts, Evas' demographic could be even wider [s:lv5htu7r]as if that is even possible[/s:lv5htu7r] and get more mainstream to the point of becoming a long runner.

Plus, Instrumentality averted. So? Are the most powerful WMD and most awesome mecha pushed aside like they mean nothing. No impact = No panic. With that logic, why won't governments realize they have weapons of immense power and harness them to expand their domains?

Basically, not only are you making the world less bleak, but also pitting the characters against a more realistic situation. Realistic casts usually get huge plots and the obverse is true, so why not have the realistic cast face a realistic situation? It would make people see them in a new light unlike before.

Evas being a more powerful alternative to Knightmare Frames for Japan or Europe and therefore Mari would make things take an interesting turn, and give us a good plot (Mari's treason) and would finally allow for an "Evangelion; Season 2" for the first time.

Just let the plot follow it's path and take this idea for extra fun time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBhsDtFUgdM
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:05 pm

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:I rejected Anima because the theme about the characters "becoming Evas" and the "Angel Carrier" wank and the like are just too weird for my taste. And I want something animated...

The characters becoming Evas is an extension of what happened to Shinji in episode 19, isn't it fine? About "something animated", honestly I was hoping that Anima could move to another medium, possibly the anime one but even a regular manga would be fine, anyway the chances are probably low.
View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:Plus, Instrumentality averted. So? Are the most powerful WMD and most awesome mecha pushed aside like they mean nothing. No impact = No panic. With that logic, why won't governments realize they have weapons of immense power and harness them to expand their domains?

This is exactly what happens in Anima, I don't know if you've noticed it but each Nerv branch has been seized by the hosting government.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”