Dinner

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Dinner (2.0 Spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:52 am

After watching 2.0 I see the big emphasis on meals... It's really too damn bad we didn't get to see the dinner party as planned.

I hope to god they make amends and have another in Quickening.. that is if Rei and Shinji ever come out..

What are your thoughts? What kind of things would you have liked to have seen at the dinner party? I wonder if Gendo would have gotten a laugh with everyone... or would there be a very awkward silence?

Strings
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strings » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:43 am

I personally think that 2.0 was Anno's opportunity to show the audience a glimpse of the pilots' social lives on the lighter side. I'm expecting 3.0 & 4.0 to be more straight forward and to the point so I don't think Rei will be hosting any dinner parties. But what do I know? I'm not Anno. I bet he doesn't even know what's going on.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Dinner (2.0 Spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:05 am

OKdesuKA wrote: I hope to god they make amends and have another in Quickening.. that is if Rei and Shinji ever come out..

That will be the denouement of Rebuild.

Shinji, Gendo, Rei, and heck, everybody else will be sharing a hearty meal, where they discuss how great the struggle that is now behind them was, how much they have learned, and how great life is in general.

Then, Keel Lorenz (who turns out to be a nice guy when all is said and done) makes an inspiring speech in the guise of a toast to the newly wed couple, Shinji and Rei. After Keel is done, everyone will reflect on their lives for a few moments in silence, a silence which will be broken by Pen-Pen declaring "Waark!". Then everyone will laugh, and the credits will start to roll set to some schmaltzy, upbeat music.

Seriously: i don't think the plot will have time for quiet, social moments in the upcoming films (if they keep the schedule of 3.0+4.0 with the original running time, the plot won't have time for anything). Maybe a "last supper" reference will be thrown in for extra symbolism.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:12 am

Strings wrote:I personally think that 2.0 was Anno's opportunity to show the audience a glimpse of the pilots' social lives on the lighter side. I'm expecting 3.0 & 4.0 to be more straight forward and to the point so I don't think Rei will be hosting any dinner parties. But what do I know? I'm not Anno. I bet he doesn't even know what's going on.

Yeah, I think they're gonna enjoy an extensive mindtrip before doing anything else. Welcome to the forum, Strings!
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:47 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Maybe a "last supper" reference will be thrown in for extra symbolism.

See, even the social dinner could fit with the religious references! :clap:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:57 pm

I was really annoyed not seeing the party, but hey I'm sure can make up for it. I am hoping for an arkward dinner like in episode 22 with Asuka, Misato and Shinji. ^^
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:41 pm

I read the topic in King Harkinian's voice by default. That is all.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Swords for dinner in 3.0!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:35 pm

It probably won't happen. Gendo and Shinji blew their chances with each other given what happened to Asuka in Eva-03. The only way I COULD see it happening as a "last supper" deal (but in this case their would be only Misato, Rei, Shinji and maybe Asuka as well as another pilot or two) before some final battle (Kaworu?) like somebody else mentioned.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shinjiikari1991
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinjiikari1991 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:56 pm

wspeaking of dinner scence was Misato mad at Kaji for something or was it just drunk talk not that i know Japanese

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Shinjiikari1991 wrote:wspeaking of dinner scence was Misato mad at Kaji for something or was it just drunk talk not that i know Japanese
The scene's been translated.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Shinjiikari1991
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinjiikari1991 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm

NAveryW wrote:The scene's been translated.[/url]

thanks

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:06 pm

OKdesuKA wrote:It's really too damn bad we didn't get to see the dinner party as planned.

The only canceled dinner party that interests me is Yui-sama's appointment with Zeruel. [/spam]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:25 am

In case you guys hadn't noticed "dinner" and food motif runs very strongly through eps 17 and 18 - especially 18 where it is often exploited in scene cuts.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”