Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 pm

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Kaji does have smexy new though.

He sounded good up until he said "It is. Hey, you're a pretty good little cook there, Shinji" at which point I cracked up laughing at his voice.

you're a pretty good little cook there, Shinji

I can't take it seriously. I just can't.
Voluntary Illusion.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:That clip sounds too much like the dub from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Hey, I happen to love the English dub of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time! And if that's the case, then this dub is going to ROOOOOCCCCCKKKK!!!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:49 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:He sounded good up until he said "It is. Hey, you're a pretty good little cook there, Shinji" at which point I cracked up laughing at his voice.

I can't take it seriously. I just can't.

Funny, I did the same. :lol:
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:Hey, I happen to love the English dub of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!

I also love that English dub. However, I feel that Evangelion in English should have an identify of its own and not attempt to emulate the dub of another work.
Voluntary Illusion.

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:you're a pretty good little cook there, Shinji

It's like they're building up to the almost!kiss scene.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 am

That's an excellent improvement on Grant's part. And they -SURPRISE!- actually sound like teenagers. Kaji sounds more like the character you have in the original, chauvinistically. The only qualms I had was that I thought it was Hikari talking at the beginning of the aquarium clip. Greg Ayres was a better Kaworu.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

View Original PostCombs wrote:That's an excellent improvement on Grant's part. And they -SURPRISE!- actually sound like teenagers.

That was the one of the biggest improvements Funi made with their Evangelion dub. Asuka's improvements remind me of how Spike's performance has improved as well. Even his screams are (slightly) better. The scene with Ramiel sending him into cardiac arrest was surprisingly good. Rei's new VA also sounds (in my opinion) better than her old one. She sounds cold and distant, but she actually sounds like a HUMAN GIRL who can show some emotion in her lines. Not a computer who can only whisper or a ghost.

And here's hoping Grant gets better with the battle cries like she did in End.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 am

View Original PostClover wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qow6eRlPCgI&feature=BF&list=SP67189DE250CF2480&index=6

Pen Pen's crazy noises and Kaji's sexy voice make this dub worthwhile. Haters gonna hate. Still, Grant sounds like a piece of shit, and so does Spencer. Funimation should have thought it through before re-hiring them. New (actual) talent could have given the series a new start, but like before, Eva is relegated to the area of the weird and low quality. Really sad seeing as how FMA and Baccano had pro-tier dubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:23 pm

supposedly Funi will be screening the English dub of Eva 2.22 at the Katsucon anime convention. the screening is expected to go on for three days.

source: [url]http://blog.funimation.com/2011/02/funimation-convention-tour-2011-starts-with-katsucon/[/url]
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:01 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:supposedly Funi will be screening the English dub of Eva 2.22 at the Katsucon anime convention. the screening is expected to go on for three days.

source: [url]http://blog.funimation.com/2011/02/funimation-convention-tour-2011-starts-with-katsucon/[/url]

Maybe we'll get the official English title of 3.0 now.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:04 pm

View Original PostSeen wrote:Maybe we'll get the official English title of 3.0 now.

That only happens when Khara starts plastering posters all over Japan.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:51 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:supposedly Funi will be screening the English dub of Eva 2.22 at the Katsucon anime convention. the screening is expected to go on for three days.

Yup. They screened it each day of the convention. I saw it. I didn't like it very much. It felt like a lot of the lines were not just translated, but forcefully injected with more... I don't know... "cool"? Seems like they were overbuilt. Like, I can understand changing wording slightly to fit mouth movements a little better, but it seems like they were purposely trying to make the dialogue better, as if a faithful translation wasn't good enough. I remember this being a common complaint of the dub for the first film. I was quite surprised by the liberties they took, including all of the swearing they worked in. I think I heard a good three or four uses of the word "fuck", several of which were by Mari. They also completely dropped her British accent. Not sure about that.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:14 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Yup. They screened it each day of the convention. I saw it. I didn't like it very much. It felt like a lot of the lines were not just translated, but forcefully injected with more... I don't know... "cool"? Seems like they were overbuilt. Like, I can understand changing wording slightly to fit mouth movements a little better, but it seems like they were purposely trying to make the dialogue better, as if a faithful translation wasn't good enough. I remember this being a common complaint of the dub for the first film. I was quite surprised by the liberties they took, including all of the swearing they worked in. I think I heard a good three or four uses of the word "fuck", several of which were by Mari. They also completely dropped her British accent. Not sure about that.

how would you describe the audience's reaction to the dub?
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:22 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:how would you describe the audience's reaction to the dub?

Hard to tell. It was clear that there were people there who hadn't seen it before at all. I didn't interview anyone, so I can't differentiate from people liking the dub, and people liking the movie.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:31 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Yup. They screened it each day of the convention. I saw it. I didn't like it very much. It felt like a lot of the lines were not just translated, but forcefully injected with more... I don't know... "cool"? Seems like they were overbuilt. Like, I can understand changing wording slightly to fit mouth movements a little better, but it seems like they were purposely trying to make the dialogue better, as if a faithful translation wasn't good enough. I remember this being a common complaint of the dub for the first film. I was quite surprised by the liberties they took, including all of the swearing they worked in. I think I heard a good three or four uses of the word "fuck", several of which were by Mari. They also completely dropped her British accent. Not sure about that.

Really? They used the word "fuck"? That seems,I dont know,uneeded I guess. Doesnt sound like something Mari would say. Sounds like they just added it in for the hell of it. But I am curious about something though. What did they do for those Nerv workers that spoke english when we see Mari for the first time near the begining of the film? Did they keep them(if it's possible) or did they simply re-dub them?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Most of the audience seemed to like it, if the fact that it received a standing ovation from the entire screening room exempting maybe five people at the end was any indication. I thought it was pretty good, anyway; like the first film, it's more well-rounded than the ADV and Manga dubs, meaning it doesn't have any of the facepalm-worthy low-points, but it also doesn't quite have any of the exhilarating high points found in those dubs. (Now's as good a time as any to proclaim that I am a huge fan of the original dubs; though I wouldn't dare pretend they were flawless or anything near it, I maintain that when firing on all cylinders they remain some of the best performances in the history of anime dubbing.)

A few more specifics on my impression of the 2.0 dub: Spike Spencer continued to be the most consistently excellent performance in the series, and there are moments in this movie where he just nails it, single-handedly selling the scene. Allison Keith was also superb as ever, although I was ever-so-slightly disappointed with her monologue during Misato's most emotional scene in the film. I am really warming up to Justin Cook as Toji, and I think Michael J. Tatum did great as Kaji, exerting just the right amount of aloofness and swagger. On the negative side, I think Brina Palencia actually got a little bit worse as Rei compared to the first movie, and Greg Ayres as Kensuke is by far the most grating performance in the dub. I'm actually surprised by this, as I came to respect him quite a bit after being blown away by his performance in Welcome to the NHK; I guess his acting quality is just a huge variable. Trina Nishimura as Mari, I felt, was neither here nor there; we know so little about the character that it's kind of hard to define her, and by extent what she "should" sound like, at this point. I thought the script was decent; smooth enough to get the job done, but not quite as strong or quotable as some of the better parts of the earlier dubs. I actually liked the fact that Mari was given coarse language and a tendency toward swearing; it helps establish her character and gives her dialogue a personality that it would otherwise be lacking. I only counted one F-bomb, though; not sure where you heard the other ones, Aaron.

I should also point out that I too fall heavily on the side of "localization" over "translation", at least for dubs. That's probably why I loved the previous Evangelion dubs, and hated the dub for FLCL.

@Eva-04: They re-dubbed them, and rewrote the dialogue a bit.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 pm

That's the same with me. I tend to be more towards "localization" over "translation", and I prefer a localized dub. If I wanted an accurate translation, I'd watch the subs. But I perfer seeing a new interpretation of an anime, so I watch the dubs. Besides, not all American audiences would take kindly to a bare bones translation. Sometimes you need to reinterpret something to get a larger audience.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I also forgot to mention, McFarland said that the 2.22 DVD/BR will feature a full-length commentary by himself and several of the voice actors. He said that it will take a sort of "revolving-door" format; each actor will come on for 15 minutes or so to discuss their character and their experiences with the series, then leave, and then another one will come on, so that it stays fresh. Should be interesting. I asked him if he'd seen the Manga DVD commentaries (which I thought were a riot). He didn't remember, which I imagine probably means the answer is no (for better or worse, those commentaries tend to stand out in the memories of their viewers).
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:Really? They used the word "fuck"? That seems,I dont know,uneeded I guess. Doesnt sound like something Mari would say.

What I remember very vividly was in the opening scene, she yelled at the third angel to "FUCKING DIE". That was kinda like... whoa. I think the scene where she was changing into her pink suit she said something like "so fucking cold".

My memory sucks. I admit. But I am fairly certain there were at least two f-bombs in there.

It amuses me because I think I can now agree with AWL's use of the f-bomb in The End of Evangelion a lot more than what I heard in 2.0.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:What I remember very vividly was in the opening scene, she yelled at the third angel to "FUCKING DIE". That was kinda like... whoa. I think the scene where she was changing into her pink suit she said something like "so fucking cold".

My memory sucks. I admit. But I am fairly certain there were at least two f-bombs in there.

It amuses me because I think I can now agree with AWL's use of the f-bomb in The End of Evangelion a lot more than what I heard in 2.0.

Honestly,I think using the F word in EOE was fine. But using it in the second Rebuild movie though? That's kinda something you wouldnt expect.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”