Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm hoping for either Luci Christian or Laura Bailey. Mainly because they're probably my two favorite anime voice actresses currently active. And because they're really good.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 pm

on the Funicon they announced that Tiffany Grant is returning as Asuka and Trina NISHIMURA will voice Mari.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:19 pm

"He who shall not be named" is most likely masterbating feverishly upon hearing the news of Grant's return. I thought FUNi was smarter than ADV and would hire someone who could actually act. Then again, they rehired Spencer so never mind........

Wait, what the hell do I care? I'll be watching the version with the cast that can act.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:34 pm

DevRei, you sure changed your tune about the dubs

why's that?
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:"He who shall not be named" is most likely masterbating feverishly upon hearing the news of Grant's return.

Lord Voldemort?

I thought FUNi was smarter than ADV and would hire someone who could actually act. Then again, they rehired Spencer so never mind........
Wait, what the hell do I care? I'll be watching the version with the cast that can act.

I, too, greatly prefer the Swahili dub of Evangelion.
Last edited by esselfortium on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Surpised to see Grant return. I'll be interested to see how she's changed compared to Spike Spencer as Shinji and Allison Keith as Mistao.

I've never heard of Trina Nishimura and J. Michael Tatum before, so I don't know how well they'll act.
Last edited by The Goose on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:40 pm

as for Grant returning, it was something to be expected more or less
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Qaiz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Qaiz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Yey! This is pretty awesome news. An old timer eva fan like myself will always get giddy when the names spike Spencer and Tiffany grant are in the same sentence :D

I mean taking into consideration ADV back in the days only recorded two episodes at a time, they were bound to not be perfect sometimes. I loved them personally. And remember, they had practically no knowledge of the backstory while creating the series back then.

These guys have basically had 15 years to resinate with the characters.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:57 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:DevRei, you sure changed your tune about the dubs

why's that?

I've become a huge time sub fan. I'm sorry.

@esselfortium - Isn't it obVious who I'm referring to?
Also yes Swahili dub FTW.

Da Games Elite
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Da Games Elite » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:52 am

Grant returning is very good news in my eyes. I mean, let's face it: even if you don't like her portrayal in the original series, would you rather leave the performance to someone who isn't very connected to the character emotionally, or chose Tiffany Grant, who happens to have a pretty extensive relationship to the character. If Spencer and Keith both improved since the original dub so greatly, I'm very curious to see how Grant's improved...heeheeehee...

The other casting news is interesting. I'm not familiar with Nishimura beyond remembering her voice from School Rumble, but Tatum is getting me even more pumped up. He wasn't my first choice, but he's certainly someone who fits the Kaji mold. He was pretty good in Ouran, and, even though the role he plays doesn't really resemble Kaji, he has the right pitch, and pulled off a pretty good performance.

Long story short, BRING ON 2.22 ENGLISH DUB!!!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 am

Thread about this on the ANN forum is funny. Rabid anti-dubbers, rabid anti-Grant and spencer folks, our mutual friend Vee and someone who thinks
SPOILER: Show
Asuka dies in 2.0

I googled the VA whos playing Mari, she looks very young. Dont know a thing about her or the guy playing Kaji, do they have a typical character that they play?
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:41 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Thread about this on the ANN forum is funny. Rabid anti-dubbers, rabid anti-Grant and spencer folks, our mutual friend Vee and someone who thinks
SPOILER: Show
Asuka dies in 2.0

I googled the VA whos playing Mari, she looks very young. Dont know a thing about her or the guy playing Kaji, do they have a typical character that they play?

The ANN forums always come off as Anti-everything to me.

Not sure if he's on this site but Penguintruth tends to freak out at any dub ever made. Basically his opinion on the dub is right and yours is wrong no matter how convincing your argument may be.

One of his arguments being Vic Mignogna shouldn't play Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, he's clearly being contrary because of the praise the original dub got and the new dub but he says Vic shouldn't play the role of a 16 year old boy because he's 48 years old.

I believe this is pretty much the worst excuse ever. For one he isn't bad at all as Edward, but most importantly isn't that what acting is? Especially voice acting? To portray a variety of characters with your voice alone? Age shouldn't even matter, if you can act, do it.

Oh wait this is some kind of Evangelion forum.

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 am

I don't know the other two names, but it's great to see Grant back. Even in the original dub, she was pretty dang great, and "What are you, stupid?" just wouldn't sound right coming out of any other mouth.
Even in death, I still nerd.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

"What are you, stupid?" just wouldn't sound right coming out of any other mouth.

That be...what...her second or third line? When she points at Shinji when she first meets him.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 am

It's something of a catchphrase.
Even in death, I still nerd.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:19 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:The ANN forums always come off as Anti-everything to me.

Not sure if he's on this site but Penguintruth tends to freak out at any dub ever made. Basically his opinion on the dub is right and yours is wrong no matter how convincing your argument may be.

One of his arguments being Vic Mignogna shouldn't play Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, he's clearly being contrary because of the praise the original dub got and the new dub but he says Vic shouldn't play the role of a 16 year old boy because he's 48 years old.

I believe this is pretty much the worst excuse ever. For one he isn't bad at all as Edward, but most importantly isn't that what acting is? Especially voice acting? To portray a variety of characters with your voice alone? Age shouldn't even matter, if you can act, do it.

Oh wait this is some kind of Evangelion forum.

Jesus. How big is Penguin's reputatation online? As one of the two or three people who comment on his blog, the man sure is well known.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Good to see that Grant's returning! 2.22 is gonna be awesome! Also, I'm quite interested that J. Micheal Tatum is doing Kaji. I mostly know him a Rikichi from "Samurai 7" so that's gonna be an interesting experience.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:41 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:Jesus. How big is Penguin's reputatation online? As one of the two or three people who comment on his blog, the man sure is well known.

I don't think he's too well known. The two people who I know who've seen his comments just know him as "That guy who complains a whole lot."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”