Funimation dub of 1.0 in Chicago

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
darthikari
Adam

Funimation dub of 1.0 in Chicago [NO SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby darthikari » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I started checking local art-house style theaters about Eva1.0. After a bit of persistance, and a few phone calls to the Musicbox theater here in Chicago, I spoke with their Manager about possibly showing the dub here. She was glad to hear that there were people interested in seeing the film, as they had just been considering it.

Today I got her reply...

"Evangelion will be starting here August 21, so you won't miss it! Group rates are $8 for a group of 20 or more. Are you on facebook or any other social networking site so we can cross promote? Also what other groups do you know of that would be interested in this movie?

Thanks for your help, Molli"

Pretty sweet huh? Please let them know If anybody out there is in the Chicagoland area.

BTW, this theater is Awsome, I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie there when it did its limited run a few years back. Its an old-school theater with a pipe organ and 20s style architecture, just being there makes a film seem more special.

Also they run mosty independant and foreign films there so if 1.0 does well....Maybe 2.0?....

Oh well I can dream....
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:41 am

Put a post about it on the front page: http://www.evageeks.org/2009/07/evangelion-1-0-screens-in-chicago/

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:32 am

I may have to drive the four hours to go see this.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

bulwhark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bulwhark » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:36 am

I was quite disapointed when the first list of showings came up and didn't have anything anywhere near Chicago. Might just have to see it twice.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 am

oooOOooooo...I'm tempted to go see it...but it is a kinda long drive...I'll just have to convince some people to go along with me. :emogendo:

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:41 am

Absolutely bitchin'! I've lived in Chicago my whole life and that's right around my birthday!
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

AlishaShatogi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlishaShatogi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Schwoot! I'll have to go.

I'll bet no one remembers me... >.> <.<
Sanity is highly overrated

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 am

I gave the music box theatre a phone call and they said all they had was the subtitled version with Japanese audio. The dude in the office asked me if there was a large following and I told him "yes, especially in urban areas with lots of teenagers there are fans of anime, and the sequel is number 1 at the box office in Japan right now." Then he asked if people like the tv show more than this movie and I told him that most people don't understand the tv series at all and this should be easier for a wider audience.

wintermute
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wintermute » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17 pm

They do lots of one-night showings at this theater. Are they planning a week's run for this or is it only on for the evening of the 21st?

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:13 pm

I really enjoyed the showing at Otakon. Sure, I've seen the movie quite a few times but the fact that the sound was hitting me that hard was epic.

The only thing I did not like was the rave sounds coming from the next room and that everyone kept making us move to take photos of us since we were the Eva group there.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

bjamieson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bjamieson » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:04 pm

I just received a response from the programming director at the music box and he is not committing to this screening.

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:33 PM
To: Brendan Jamieson
Subject: Re: Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone - screening 8/21?

i'm still debating playing it because it doesn't seem to be performing
well in LA. Are you sure there is an audience for this film in
Chicago? And how big an audience?

I'd suggest everyone who wants to see this film screened in Chicago inquire about it with the Music Box theater about the screening because it's still very much on the bubble.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks, I updated the front page.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:34 pm

I just sent the program director an email saying that my friends and I would be interested in seeing it. I live in Milwaukee, and I would be more than happy to drive the two hours to see Rebuild on a big screen. I hope they show it.
Gamer_2k4

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:41 pm

If they didn't plan it on AVATAR Day and maybe during the weekend (Sat, Sun) I'd be more than game.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Have them get ahold of the 2.0 they planned to show at that German film festival. They'd get every Eva fan in the contiguous.

But something that's been available online in a format quality superior to standard projectors (1.11, I'm talking about)? Less interested. Blame Funimation and their Special Olympics approach to motion picture acquisition.

Of course, them having the Japanese audio and English subtitles could mean they've got a connection around Funimation, which would certainly suggest 2.0 is possible.

Shit, I loved Let the Right One In, but I've got a DVD of it now. I wouldn't pay 12USD and drive an hour just to see it in theaters again.

hybridsoldier
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hybridsoldier » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

bjamieson wrote:I just received a response from the programming director at the music box and he is not committing to this screening.

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:33 PM
To: Brendan Jamieson
Subject: Re: Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone - screening 8/21?

i'm still debating playing it because it doesn't seem to be performing
well in LA. Are you sure there is an audience for this film in
Chicago? And how big an audience?

I'd suggest everyone who wants to see this film screened in Chicago inquire about it with the Music Box theater about the screening because it's still very much on the bubble.

Just wanted to chime in and say that it didn't do well in LA because it was only showing for less than a week and there was only ONE SHOWING at 4:40 P.M.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 am

arkiel wrote:But something that's been available online in a format quality superior to standard projectors (1.11, I'm talking about)?

Sorry if I'm taking this a bit off-topic with my ignorance, but what exactly makes movie theater projectors worse than (compressed) Blu-ray rips? For film, at least, there's no need to worry about upscaling because it's analog, meaning that it's always going to be better quality than the digital versions. I'm not sure how well that translates to things that were digital to begin with (like CGI animation), but I imagine that a similar mechanic is at work, right?
Gamer_2k4

Joe_Mo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Joe_Mo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:27 am

ugh, I'll be at blizzcon on the 21st. I'd really like to see eva in theatres for once.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:46 am

Don't gotta worry about upscaling at 1080p HD either. (My 1.11 is 7.9gigs, 1080p native), looks pretty crisp even at 1920x1200 - my monitor's highest resolution is actually smaller than the file's XD.

And analog != perfect picture.
(Assuming the Japanese aren't using digital over there.) Analog is only as good as the source, which we can assume isn't as good as 1.11 - being remastered and (gamma?) corrected and whatnot. And 1.0 is missing the extra footage.

The most compelling argument for a theater is the 13.1 surround sound.

I'd totally pay to see 2.0 at this place. Up until the BluRay is released. Because that will be after the Japanese self-exploitation machine hits a low gear and has already shirked them out of DVD and expanded DVD money.

...Maybe even after, since 2.0 ain't principally composed of scenes I've already seen a zillion times.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:16 am

oh shit! that size of file would fry my laptop.
ah question...
how many GB does a DVD-R have?
i'm kinda planning to put my copy in one so i can
lighten the load in my precious laptop.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”