Mari Discussion/Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Shinji and Asuka moved to Great Britain after Third Impact, for some reason. Mari was born there.

It's all part of Mari's evil plot to drive Mr. A/S Anti-shipper mad! :mwahaha:

Seriously though, more and more I like the idea of Mari being a mostly normal, sane, girl save for battles and apparently being a spy. But who knows. (I start to doubt she'd be a FAR but that would be fun.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:31 pm

I start to doubt she'd be a FAR

heathen.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:31 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Seriously though, more and more I like the idea of Mari being a mostly normal, sane, girl save for battles and apparently being a spy. But who knows. (I start to doubt she'd be a FAR but that would be fun.)

Its because shes a Space Robot.

On a related note, when I first read that line, I thought it said "save for batteries..." o3o
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

nyugvo6
Embryo

Postby nyugvo6 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Actually I kinda dig the 'chimera' theory, also sympathyzing with the female Shinji thing, but I have a personal theory.
SPOILER: Show

remember the '4 Adam'?
what if those are, Adam, Lilith, and two other angels?

remember the embryo/nervous system thing? they called it the key of nebukodonazzhar, or something. for me it's still some sort of angel embryo.
nebukodosumthin was called 'the wicked one' in the bible, sounds pretty much like ZA BEASTO. so, if Mari is the beast then she could be a clone holding nebukodonazzhar's soul, and then the pirate Asuka is not the real one, just a clone again holding the last yet unknown angel's soul.

and the '4A' are Kaworu, Rei, Mari, and Asuka II.

also: if the MP evas make an appearance using the dummy system again, they could contain maris, that would totally explain their behaviour.

...please don't hit me.
one two, one two...

Amras Felagund
Adam

Postby Amras Felagund » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Just thought I'd rejuvenate the thread with a little dose of theorising. (Be ready, people; I got a mouthful for you!)

I actually find myself edging towards Legendary's Evangelion 3.3 fanfiction notion, that Mari is Adam. (So, technically, she's still a FAR.) I have implemented this as a WMG on TV Tropes [venture forth at your own risk! SPOILERS IN THIS URL!]: [url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/NeonGenesisEvangelion[/url]

My full dissertation on the 'Mari is Adam' theory is inside this spoilers box.
SPOILER: Show
I personally believe that Makinami Mari Illustrious is simply the Lilin avatar of the First Angel, Adam, because of various little things that pop up here and there that, if Legendary's idea is true, could be foreshadowing. Firstly, in the very first shot in the Rebuild 2.0, Mari is seen in her Eva-05 plugsuit, which obscures much of her face (perhaps an indication of her own inhumanity), and when the camera pulls back, the digital code on the interior of the entry plug is filling out in the rough shape of Angel wings behind her. Here:
[url]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Amras_Felagund/NGE/MarisWingsofDigitalCode-IsThisFores.png?t=1259625155[/url]
Reminds me of how Kaworu made his first appearance in the original series sitting on a statue of an angel.
[Incidentally, I didn't notice this until I had re-watched the opening scenes for the first time after reading Legendary's take on Rebuild 3.0.]

Additionally, I should note that the only Angel she actually kills is the Third Angel, which was already in a pretty sorry state, with its skin completely carved off. As a mother, this could be her only possible act of love towards her child: putting it out of its misery.

The only other Angel she does fight in 2.0 is Zeruel, and even that could be interpreted differently. If she is Adam, Zeruel's mother, she would know just how strong his A.T. Field is, and how resilient he would be even if it was breached. She still has an appearance to keep up, so she gives her damnedest in the ensuing brouhaha, knowing that it will be no good. She may even be trying to induce despair in the Lilin, by demonstrating the futility of resistance.
Granted, she nearly blows her cover when she initiates "The Beast" Mode, but the adrenaline of controlling a lifeform so huge must have overrode her common sense. Rewatch that scene; the first thing they show glowing is the core in the chest of Mari's second plugsuit (which, incidentally, also vaguely resembles Sachiel's ribcage). This is significant in the context of this theory; why show the core glowing first, if not to set something up in 3.0 (or 4.0, if they put off the revelation that long)?
Also, as I recall, Mari's pupils glow green, perhaps representing an inner power as yet unrevealed. (Shinji's irises glow red before Eva-01 awakens, perhaps subtly indicating an alternate rationale for his case of glowing eyes, but I digress.) When Nigouki's arm was severed, and she felt it, I imagine she momentarily forgot who she was fighting, and just did a charge of blind rage.

Almost immediately after the Third Angel's demise, she expresses trepidation about involving adults in her plan, before bidding farewell to Eva-05 and thanking it for fulfilling its duty (helping her put her child out of its misery?).

What plan is she hesitant to involve adults in? Well, Mari doubtless knows that adults are far cannier than children, and would pick up on a crack in her facade rather handily. People "her" age (ie: Shinji, Rei, Asuka, etc.) wouldn't be quite as handy about noticing things that unusual (well, maybe Rei would...).

Also, something odd to me is Mari singing the 365-Step March on the war path towards the Third Angel. Not only is it too cheery an activity for an Eva pilot to indulge in, but it almost reminds me of Kaworu humming Ode To Joy when he made his first appearance. Perhaps Mari has taken Kaworu's role as the mother Angel, Adam, as incarnated amongst the Lilin.

And her scene with Puppy-kun. She first appears in the scene descending from the sky with a parachute, perhaps alluding to an angel coming down to earth through the clouds. Once she has finished speaking into the cell phone (to who? An American or British "superior", I suppose), she inhales Shinji's scent, stating that he smells good, like LCL.

Oooohhhhh-kay. LCL smells like blood (badly, if it's untreated). Why the hell would anyone enjoy the scent of blood? Maybe it's because it comes from Lilith, and she wants to see humanity return to LCL, to nothing, so that she can take the planet back. (See: First Impact, First Ancestral Race)
Standing up, Mari's glasses gleam menacingly for a moment. This moment stuck with me, even before I read 3.3 You Must (Not) Run Away. A character never has Scary Shiny Glasses unless they are going to be a menace to the receiving character at some point.

Her moment in Eva-02, where we see her hand flexing exactly like Eva-02's hand in the background always seemed a little too controlling to me. Under the assumption that she is Adam, it makes sense as to how she can control it so absolutely, regardless of whether the soul within is Kyoko: she is Adam. She can control anything crafted from Adam's flesh. In this case, Eva-02.

Also, her final line, where she muses on the convenience of Shinji's defeat of Zeruel, and then ponders on if it was because he smelled different... Ah-CHOO!
What's so convenient about THIRD IMPACT going down just a few hundred meters away?!
Naturally, Mari would think it convenient that Shinji advances her schedule, however unknowingly, and begins Third Impact (even if Kaworu averts it just minutes later).

I'm also a little curious about her middle name, Illustrious. I already know that it's the name of a British aircraft carrier, but I decided to look it up in the dictionary, and I turned this up, an archaic (IOW, currently unused) definition of 'illustrious':
illustrious - archaic : shining brightly with light

As I recall, the only thing with any sort of luminescence to it, or "illustriousness", shall we say, in the Eva series is Adam the "Giant of Light" (or, in the Rebuild tetralogy, the four Adams).
I think that Anno knows his stuff about the English language (apart from Kaji's Engrish); he did opt for Instrumentality when he could have went with the more literal Complementation or Enhancement, Angel instead of Apostle, etc. I like to think that he would do his homework on the languages that appear in his works. Authenticity, see?

But what is Mari's endgame, if she is Adam? I assume it has something to do with triggering Third Impact, and returning humanity to the primordial soup of LCL. From her perspective, Lilith would have stolen the Earth from her (she's right), and is setting out to take it back. How she intends to do that... well, I don't know. I only know what we've been shown in 1.0 and 2.0. I can't wait to see what 3.0 and Final have to show us, even if this theory is blown out of the water.

Plus, it's just funny to assume that, if she is Adam... The Big Bad of the Rebuild of Eva series, crawling on the ground, mumbling "Glasses... glasses..." It's just amusing to me.

And the sneeze, too. Even the First Angel is not immune to the sniffles. I find that rather amusing as well.

Anyway, to those who read this rambling bunch of nonsense... Thoughts? Critiques?
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm

If Mari is Adam then what is Kaworu?
Is Mari Adam this time around and Kaworu is Adam from then and Kaworu from then is now and now is here and -Beep-

=We are sorry, your Otakon has uncounted a problem and must be shut down=

But what of 05...Berkserking and what not.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 am

Minor nitpick: Adam is not the "Big Bad" of the Evangelion series.

Major nitpick: This theory really fucks up Kaworu's identity by leaps and bounds, requiring you to make Kaworu the FAR or something, in which case there's little reason to reverse things around.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:23 am

@Amras Felagund:
Nice theory. It contains some pretty interesting concepts, though there are a few things i would like to address:

-First and foremost: though it could be argued that the rules of the original series no longer apply, i always got the impression that an Angel/S.o.L taking the form of a Lilin is an unnatural occurence. That is, it requires "outside help", manipulations by some sort of organization that has the proper equipment to make something like that possible (Nerv with Rei, Seele in Kaworu's case). And if that's still the case, then a S.o.L can't just sneakily turn verself into a Lilin.

-During Mari's first sortie, i recall that she said something along the lines of "Piloting Eva is just as good as they told me it would be." To me, this suggests that she was instructed on how to pilot an Eva, that is, it doesn't come to her completely naturally. Kaworu, on the other hand, as far as what we have seen of him, lurches out of his coffin, sits around naked on the Moon a lot, and still he is basically ready to pilot an Eva on the word "Go!".

-
Amras Felagund wrote:the entry plug is filling out in the rough shape of Angel wings behind her. Here:
[url]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Amras_Felagund/NGE/MarisWingsofDigitalCode-IsThisFores.png?t=1259625155[/url]

Nice! Maybe it's just your brain playing pattern recognition tricks on you, but if you look at this picture the way you suggested, it still looks pretty cool. Though i still found the way Kaworu was sitting on the tip of one of Mark06's fingers to be more evocative of the image of him sitting on a statue.

-I must say, regarding Mari having maternal feelings for the Angels: you're forcing human concepts of maternality on the Angels. We know nothing about how they view such things as kinship.

-On glowing eyes: IMHO, the glowing eyes are a result of high Synch Rates, pure and simple. There is even a color correspondence between pilot an Eva:

Unit 02's eyes glow green->Mari's eyes glow green
Unit 01's eyes glow red->Shinji's eyes glow red

During the Unit-03 slaughter scene and when Yui was rejecting the Dummy Sytem afterwards, it was shown that Unit 01's standard, erm, "glowing eye color" is red, so i don't think the coloration is caused by the pilot.

-Mai's plugsuit design: Kaworu has her beat n that department. His plugsuit features six wing like stripes on his torso that heavily resemble the wings of Adam.

-Air drop: that's a funny thing. Every new character in 2.0 was introduced via aviation: Kaji arrives to Japan on a jet, Asuka is dropped of from a giant transport plane, and Kaworu literally descends from the heavens. Air drop seems to be 2.0's thing.

-Scary Shiny Glasses: i might be wrong on this, but didn't Kensuke had a S.S.G. shot at a certain point in the series?

-A convinient fellow: i guess she was just referring to the fact that it was convinient of Shinji to drop in in the right dramatic moment and kick Zeruel's ass.

-Illustrious: my personal theory is the the name refers to the fact that Mari has some pretty huge gazongas on her.

And finally, if Kaworu is not THE Angel, he is kinda pointless.

And now, for my own random ass guess on Mari's glasses:
I think that she actually has perfect eyesight, and that the glasses are some sort of visual transmitting devices that allow Mari to transfer near real time video feed to a certain partner (Kaji, most likely), take photos if she wants to and whatnot. A neat spy gadget.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rodeo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:48 am

For an Angel in human form, she looks an awful lot like a plain, regular girl.
I think she's just a simple spy, no magic involved.

Amras Felagund
Adam

Postby Amras Felagund » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 am

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:If Mari is Adam then what is Kaworu?
Is Mari Adam this time around and Kaworu is Adam from then and Kaworu from then is now and now is here and -Beep-

=We are sorry, your Otakon has uncounted a problem and must be shut down=

But what of 05...Berkserking and what not.

Simple. (And I am inviting a lot of flak for this...)

Kaworu isn't Adam. Technically, he never was Adam, even in the original series. Kaworu was Tabris. Granted, Tabris in NGE is the soul of Adam in a Lilin shell (what does that make Rei, then?), but the rules for Tabris's existence may yet be different in this continuity.

As for Eva-05 Berserking... well, I got nothing at the moment. I'm replying in the stolen moments before my first class this morning, and I don't really have time to review that scene before African-American Lit.

AuraTwilight wrote:"Minor nitpick: Adam is not the "Big Bad" of the Evangelion series.

Major nitpick: This theory really fucks up Kaworu's identity by leaps and bounds, requiring you to make Kaworu the FAR or something, in which case there's little reason to reverse things around.

Who says that Adam can't be the Big Bad of the Rebuild of Evangelion series? The Rebuild series is supposed to be more accessible to new fans, right?

Again, Kaworu is Tabris. Tabris may yet be different in the Weva continuity. I personally do not really know what Angel Kaworu could be if Mari is Adam, but it's significant that Kiel contacts Kaworu at the end of 1.0 to "fulfill the contract". The contract with Lilith? If Kaworu is Lilith, then what is Rei? I don't know, but that's not what I am theorising about.

SaltyJoe wrote:First and foremost: though it could be argued that the rules of the original series no longer apply, i always got the impression that an Angel/S.o.L taking the form of a Lilin is an unnatural occurence. That is, it requires "outside help", manipulations by some sort of organization that has the proper equipment to make something like that possible (Nerv with Rei, Seele in Kaworu's case). And if that's still the case, then a S.o.L can't just sneakily turn verself into a Lilin.

I guess I failed to address that. I imagine that Adam becoming a Lilin WAS forced on her; in the Second Impact contact experiment. Legendary's Evangelion 3.3 speculates the exact same origin for Mari: Seele was intending to create an Angel in a human shell, and the result was Makinami Mari Illustrious.

SaltyJoe wrote:-During Mari's first sortie, i recall that she said something along the lines of "Piloting Eva is just as good as they told me it would be." To me, this suggests that she was instructed on how to pilot an Eva, that is, it doesn't come to her completely naturally. Kaworu, on the other hand, as far as what we have seen of him, lurches out of his coffin, sits around naked on the Moon a lot, and still he is basically ready to pilot an Eva on the word "Go!".

She could well be faking it. As I said before, adults are terribly canny folk. Kaworu didn't seem like he was going to wait a terribly long time in the original series to try to initiate Third Impact (or let Eva-01 pop his head off), so he had little reason to hide his proficiency with controlling an Eva, even with the core not reconfigured to his wavelength.

SaltyJoe wrote:
Amras Felagund wrote:the entry plug is filling out in the rough shape of Angel wings behind her. Here:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Amras_Felagund/NGE/MarisWingsofDigitalCode-IsThisFores.png?t=1259625155

Nice! Maybe it's just your brain playing pattern recognition tricks on you, but if you look at this picture the way you suggested, it still looks pretty cool. Though i still found the way Kaworu was sitting on the tip of one of Mark06's fingers to be more evocative of the image of him sitting on a statue.

Maybe. But still, Kaworu's moment could be a callback to how Gendo's son first met Kaworu in NGE. A little tidbit for us oldtimers.

SaltyJoe wrote:-I must say, regarding Mari having maternal feelings for the Angels: you're forcing human concepts of maternality on the Angels. We know nothing about how they view such things as kinship.

That I may be. I cannot comprehend the mental processes that would be going on in a FAR like the mother of the Angels. But then again, it may yet be established, ala EOE, that Angels are simply humans that cast off human form.

SaltyJoe wrote:-On glowing eyes: IMHO, the glowing eyes are a result of high Synch Rates, pure and simple. There is even a color correspondence between pilot an Eva:

Unit 02's eyes glow green->Mari's eyes glow green
Unit 01's eyes glow red->Shinji's eyes glow red

During the Unit-03 slaughter scene and when Yui was rejecting the Dummy Sytem afterwards, it was shown that Unit 01's standard, erm, "glowing eye color" is red, so i don't think the coloration is caused by the pilot.

I guess I didn't emphasise one thing enough: Mari's pupils glowed green in "The Beast" Mode; Shinji's irises glowed red in Awakening. Why the distinction? Also, as far as I know, Shinji's eyes only glowed red for one, maybe two, shots. Mari's eyes glowed for the whole duration of "The Beast" Mode. Also, I noted that they filmmakers showed her "core" glowing first. Make of that what you will.

SaltyJoe wrote:-Mai's plugsuit design: Kaworu has her beat n that department. His plugsuit features six wing like stripes on his torso that heavily resemble the wings of Adam.

I'll give you that. Although, Kaworu's plugsuit design could be a red herring for us old fans.

SaltyJoe wrote:-Air drop: that's a funny thing. Every new character in 2.0 was introduced via aviation: Kaji arrives to Japan on a jet, Asuka is dropped of from a giant transport plane, and Kaworu literally descends from the heavens. Air drop seems to be 2.0's thing.

Now... that I hadn't noticed before. Good point.

SaltyJoe wrote:-Scary Shiny Glasses: i might be wrong on this, but didn't Kensuke had a S.S.G. shot at a certain point in the series?

I believe he did. That's what makes Mari's moment rather inconspicuous in that regard.

SaltyJoe wrote:-A convinient fellow: i guess she was just referring to the fact that it was convinient of Shinji to drop in in the right dramatic moment and kick Zeruel's ass.

That is a rather valid interpretation.

SaltyJoe wrote:-Illustrious: my personal theory is the the name refers to the fact that Mari has some pretty huge gazongas on her.

Or it could simply be a reference to the HMS Illustrious. Or it could be

SaltyJoe wrote:And finally, if Kaworu is not THE Angel, he is kinda pointless.

Not necessarily. Kaworu could simply be Tabris in Rebuild. And who said Kaworu had to be Adam specifically to be a significant character?

I think I have replied to (so far) everyone's points. I got to hurry to class now!

EDIT (12-02-09): So as to avoid a double-post, I would like to elaborate on the glowing-eyes part of my theory. Hear me out:
Mari's eyes do glow green, but for the entire duration of "The Beast" Mode. As far as I know, Shinji's only glow red for a shot or two.
Specifically, though, Mari's pupils glow. This would indicate that the light is coming from inside her eyeballs. This, to me, represents an inner power that is being partially exposed by the adrenaline rush of "The Beast" Mode.
(Basically: if Mari had activated "The Beast" Mode using Eva-01 instead, her pupils would have glowed red instead.)

Shinji's irises glow red as Eva-01 undergoes her Awakening. The distinction, IMO, is that this is only an external power exerting influence upon her pilot. A sort of give-and-take, is the best way I can put it. I imagine Shinji actually had a modicum of control over Shogouki in that moment, and in the act of manually "activating" Berserker mode, Shinji experienced a case of Red Eyes Take Warning.

Also, one last little thing I forgot to address:

SaltyJoe wrote:-During Mari's first sortie, i recall that she said something along the lines of "Piloting Eva is just as good as they told me it would be." To me, this suggests that she was instructed on how to pilot an Eva, that is, it doesn't come to her completely naturally. Kaworu, on the other hand, as far as what we have seen of him, lurches out of his coffin, sits around naked on the Moon a lot, and still he is basically ready to pilot an Eva on the word "Go!".

Who says Kaworu wasn't educated about how to pilot an Eva at some point between awakening at the end of 1.0 and sitting on Mark.06's finger, or between greeting "Father" and donning his plugsuit, or even after putting on his plugsuit (though this seems a tad unlikely)? Even in the original series, we don't see a whole lot of Kaworu doing anything but humming Beethoven and hanging off of "Shinji-kun". He may have received basic Eva training at Seele, or even before his first plug depth test. We don't know. But still, even Mozart had to be taught how to play the piano (even if he did end up teaching himself pretty much).

[If this is true, though, I hope that the 365-Day March is not used as Adam's leitmotif, like Ode To Joy was for Kaworu. It would be more Narm-tastic than the "LCL *pop*" in EoE.]

Of course, this theory could be complete bunk, and I could be reading too deeply into meaningless symbols. Even so...
SaltyJoe wrote:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Amras_Felagund/NGE/MarisWingsofDigitalCode-IsThisFores.png?t=1259625155

Nice! Maybe it's just your brain playing pattern recognition tricks on you, but if you look at this picture the way you suggested, it still looks pretty cool.

This is actually what makes me most suspicious about Mari's status as a human being. It's her first appearance in the series, and she has (at the very least, something [resembling[/i]) angel wings behind her back in her debut. Again, like Kaworu sitting on the angel statue in Episode 24 (which, of course, received its due callback later in "You can (not) advance.".)

It could all be bunk, though. I don't really know. And that is really the key (of Nebuchadnezzar?). We don't know yet whether or not Mari is Adam, a non-specific FAR, or Shinji and Asuka's future child come back in time. Right now, we can only guess, based off of the sparse clues left in 2.0. We won't know for sure until 3.0, or Final (if it takes that long to reveal who or what Mari is), are released. [Assuming the answer is even comprehensible; we might be in for a mind-trip-fest.]

I am confident in my theories about RoE, though.

Further thoughts?

firegirl26
Embryo

Postby firegirl26 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:10 pm

to lazy to go though all the posts

but could Mari be eve
Adam did have two wives
"GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN.....ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD." NERV

Amras Felagund
Adam

Postby Amras Felagund » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 pm

firegirl26 wrote:to lazy to go though all the posts

but could Mari be eve
Adam did have two wives

The Evas fill in the role of Eve; the "created from Adam" part, anyway.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:14 pm

...or maybe Mari is just a human or possibly part angel that knows a little bit more about the Evas than our three pilots?
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:13 pm

No way, she has to be something totally ridiculous and over the top.

In all fairness, her ability to pilot Unit 02 is pretty much the main fuel for her being a non-Lilin.

Amras Felagund
Adam

Postby Amras Felagund » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:34 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:In all fairness, her ability to pilot Unit 02 is pretty much the main fuel for her being a non-Lilin.

And who knows? This may be one of the things they start off with in 3.0, and some Nerv officials put her into confinement (in the buff) to await questioning regarding how she was able to pilot someone else's Eva, leading up to questions over who (or what) she is...
Xard wrote:Image

There's just so much coldness and hate in that one look of Illustrious-san's. Maybe her total contempt for everything Lilith-based comes spilling out here...?

Just for kicks, a fanart of a GNM would be interesting, even if she turns out to not be a FAR, or Adam. (I doubt she'd need glasses outside a Lilin shell, though...)

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:56 pm

There's just so much coldness and hate in that one look of Illustrious-san's. Maybe her total contempt for everything Lilith-based comes spilling out here...?

I don't know, that's a bit of a stretch. Notice she's naked, which means it's either in the shower for some SUPER HOT ANGRY SEX, or via SEELE is being given the Ritsuko treatment.

Mari certainly doesn't hate all Lilith creatures, as she seems very fond of Shinji, and she's not preferential to Adam's children, since even aside from the "mercy-kill" of the third Angel, she puts ALL THE STOPS into trying to kill Zeruel, who would make an Adam-based world if it succeeds at what it's trying to do.

add on that Mari is kind to the Evangelions to the point of personifying them, where Kaworu and Bardiel (admittedly via angelology etymology; Bardiel is a fallen angel that wears the skins of demons) seem to revile the Evangelions as the bastard clones they are.

Plus, if Mari is empathizing with the souls inside the Evangelions, and not the hunks of meat themselves, then she's empathizing and humanizing Lilin souls that are being deprived of their humanity, and Mari's the only one besides their children who is reaching out to them. It's far more likely that Mari is Rebuild-Lilith, than Rebuild-Adam.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:01 pm

@ Aura, I like that idea. :nod:
@ everyone else: Im afraid were all just going to have to wait a year or two for 3.0 to come out in states to get any definate answers. :shrug: :sigh:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:21 pm

@ Aura, I like that idea.

It wasn't a serious idea, and I certainly don't believe it; it's just to demonstrate that the Mari/Adam idea has pretty much nothing to stand on. Mari's definitely not either, imo.

@ everyone else: Im afraid were all just going to have to wait a year or two for 3.0 to come out in states to get any definate answers.

lol, the states. Ain't that cute, s/he thinks we're gonna wait for the American release.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Good point. Most people here will probably wait for decent subbed rip.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:51 am

@Amras Felagund:

I admit that it is entirely possible that Kaworu recieved Eva training. I guess i was stretching a bit.

Other points:

-Kaworu's significance: well, personally, i think that if Kaworu were to be revealed to be just an "ordinary" Angel, that would not only topple his connection with Rei (the male version of a SoL in a Lilin body made by Seele to counter the female version made by Nerv), but it would also kill all the buildup that surrounded him so far: all this "True/False God" stuff, the True Evangelion (Mark06) and whatnot. There is such a thing as misleading the fans, and then there is shooting your own story in the foot.

-Eye glows and Beast mode: hmm, the pupil vs. iris thing is an interesting point. Note however, that Beast mode still suffered from the same time limit constraint that an Eva is subject to when detached from an outside power supply. This would suggest that Mari lacks an "internal" power source to fuel the Eva's exertion.

-Showing the core first: boob shot? The Eva people are certainly not above such things.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”