Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:10 pm

NAveryW wrote:EDIT: Also, Ornette, you didn't actually say whether you liked the movie.

I liked it as much as I can without having any command of the Japanese language. On the plane, I rewatched the first 5 episodes so that I would have a reference, so whatever bits of Japanese that I caught were immediately referenced to the part of the original script that I recognized. I had to ask my friend a few times wtf was being said because it was completely new footage. However, visually by itself, it was spectacular. The battle with Shamshiel was on the edge of your seat good. And again, the changes they did with Ramiel was borderline insane (in a good way).

The Eva Monkey wrote:The thing I really gotta know, is how big a part did Rebuild play in your trip? Did you go on other business as well? I'd like detailed notes. This will be on the exam.

I originally planned a trip for the Formula 1 race, which happens in Fuji Speedway this year, way back in March, but the tickets were all sold out. I suggested to my GF that we go there anyways, soon realizing it would coincide with Rebuild. So it is purely leisure, and the rebuild part was a bonus. I think I may have posted an IM convo somewhere here

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:12 pm

The whole "if daughter then Rei, if son then Shinji" is a little different, I don't quite get it.

Do you know what Rei said during Shinji's time on the train?

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:22 pm

You know what's strange? When I came back, one of the first things I said was that I wanted Rebuild to expand on Kaworu's character and motivations.

Now that it looks like I might get my wish, I'm starting to rethink it. Which is extremely frustrating.

I've been looking at episode 24' through new eyes, and maybe Kaworu's brief appearance at that particular time is important to his character, at least in terms of symbolic value.

Kaworu being killed by Shinji (though it was necessary for other reasons), foreshadows Shinji's rejection of Instrumentality, because in both cases, Shinji is rejecting a closed, comfortable, idealized world (or a relationship rather than a world) for the harsh, but real, reality.

I'll have to work on that theory some more, but Kaworu appearing now will throw that out of whack, because Shinji is just starting out now, not as broken.

But that depends on if Kaworu will retain that "idealized friend" aspect to his personality, or it will go the manga's way, or an entirely new direction. Whatever happens I'm still very interested.

Uh, a new character might be a good thing or a terrible thing. For some reason it doesn't seem to work when a new character is added to an established cast, but I like to look at that as the writers not being good enough, rather than inevitable artistic doom.

*waits for fansubs*
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Perhaps Kaworu will play a sort of "mentor" role towards Shinji, thus causing the inevitable betrayal to carry even more dramatic weight?

...nah.

JP
Adam

Postby JP » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Cool shtuff.

Some of which even my imagination has trouble thinking of. Need pictures :shock: :D
The pregnancy is now absolute.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Incisivis wrote:I'll have to work on that theory some more, but Kaworu appearing now will throw that out of whack, because Shinji is just starting out now, not as broken.

Well, Rebuild is a new canon for Evangelion, I don't think the two can really be compared that closely.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:38 pm

I'm not gonna take Kaworu's new involvement in the series as anything but fan service until he's actually involved with the storyline.

Ok, so he's apparently got a bigger role here. Question is does the preview for Evangelion 2.0 actually show Kaworu involved with the rest of the cast?

Cause I very well could see Evangelion 2.0 play out with Kaworu not making an apperance until the last minute again to drop some more vague Kaworu'isms for fans to analyze for months until the next film comes out.

P.S. Maybe glasses girl (Ah so right I was) is for Kensuke. Since it now seems like EVERY STUDENT in his class is now an Eva pilot except him, maybe Anno will throw him a bone and give him a lady.
Or Kensuke just keeps getting screwed over.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:09 pm

You fools! Don't you understand?! The glasses girl will be Kaworu in disguise! And once she/he seduces Shinji- no. No.

Have you been on THAT BOARD today? That's exactly what I posted there yesterday. O_o

I think I may have posted an IM convo somewhere here

I know you posted that tidbit on the Fangeeks forum...IIRC.

Or Kensuke just keeps getting screwed over.

It's funnier/ironic that way. Nothing really against Kensuke, but...yeah.

@ reference pic: Interesting.

Oh, and just because it's some 14 years old chick does NOT mean she's going to be a pilot! ...I hope and pray. I mean come on, it's bad enough Asuka has to deal with Shinji and Rei! ;)

Either way, the prediction somebody made here about her being the only stable member of the cast would be kinda cool. It's also nifty how somebody thought it WOULD be a glasses girl.

Just don't give us this:

Even scarier, maybe she'd be a Mana/Mayumi hybrid? So she'd be a genki yet depressed bookworm? Hmm...

lol Mayuna.

Oh and Fansubs? Pfft! I'm waiting for a raw. ^_^

Lastly, @ Ornette: 1) You're lucky. >_< (I'm personally considering saving up so I can see Rebuild 03/04 over there...If so, it'd be my 1st visit to Japan either way...) 2) Can you at least tell me the context of Shinji already seeing Rei 3 in the person hell train so soon? After a battle or during his running away bit? Oh, and does his SDAT play the same songs and tracks (25=You are the only one, 26=Blue Legend)?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby bp32 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:44 pm

So when (and where) can we expect the first fan subs to emerge? Who are the 'usual suspects (as I obviously don't know)?
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:47 pm

Oh God not a new character, no! Big no! I'm not the one that likes bitching before sees the outcome, but i really got a bad feeling about this.

The only good thing, more Kaworu. That's always a good thing!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Magami no D00M
Lilith

Postby Magami no D00M » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:56 pm

Incisivis wrote:You know what's strange? When I came back, one of the first things I said was that I wanted Rebuild to expand on Kaworu's character and motivations.

Now that it looks like I might get my wish, I'm starting to rethink it. Which is extremely frustrating.

I've been looking at episode 24' through new eyes, and maybe Kaworu's brief appearance at that particular time is important to his character, at least in terms of symbolic value.

Kaworu being killed by Shinji (though it was necessary for other reasons), foreshadows Shinji's rejection of Instrumentality, because in both cases, Shinji is rejecting a closed, comfortable, idealized world (or a relationship rather than a world) for the harsh, but real, reality.

I'll have to work on that theory some more, but Kaworu appearing now will throw that out of whack, because Shinji is just starting out now, not as broken.

But that depends on if Kaworu will retain that "idealized friend" aspect to his personality, or it will go the manga's way, or an entirely new direction. Whatever happens I'm still very interested.

*waits for fansubs*

I've been feeling the same way. But the fact that Kaworu was a mere symbol/angel quota in the series (yet affected Shinji in the most profound of ways) didn't sit well for me(hence I fell out of my fangirlism). So any new information on Kaworu, retconned on otherwise, is welcomed by me, so long as he has some profound affect on Shinji. But even he is subject to change...this is an understatement considering the nature of Rebuild.
Of course, it's too early in the game to see if he'll end up going down the EMK route or not, so I'm not going to be thinking about this for quite some time.
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:11 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:Oh God not a new character, no! Big no!

Um... erm... you know it's been known for months now that there would be a new character, right?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm still thinking that while Kaworu has more screentime in R'Eva, he won't be interacting with the cast in Film 2.

I can very well see Film 2 being superloaded already what with Asuka, Glasses Girl, at least three Angels (of course the movie climax has to be Bardiel) and all the other side characters. PLus at least according to can't -really-trust-what-you-read-there-Wikipedia Film two has a subtitle "Breaking Down" (or something).

I can see Film 2 climaxing with Toji dying in Eva 03 (he has to die!) and Shinji screaming.....and then you cut to a bathhouse or inside a giant vagina or anywhere else you can get naked Kaworu and he's sitting there talking to himself about something cryptic.

But then again someone said Movie 2 Preview features a glimpse of a new Eva (which most likely is GG's but we'll just have to wait and see....my best bet is it's GREEN) so who knows.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:PLus at least according to can't -really-trust-what-you-read-there-Wikipedia Film two has a subtitle "Breaking Down" (or something).

The first three films have subtitles taken from traditional Japanese music movements. Wiki has the tidbit in more detail. I saw it on AnimeNation News or something first, so it's not something Wikipedia made up.

and then you cut to a bathhouse or inside a giant vagina or anywhere else you can get naked Kaworu and he's sitting there talking to himself about something cryptic.

Maybe you get to see his vagina at last.

But then again someone said Movie 2 Preview features a glimpse of a new Eva (which most likely is GG's but we'll just have to wait and see....my best bet is it's GREEN) so who knows.

In addition to Eva-06, Anime News Network speaks of a "redesigned" Eva-05 with one eye. I want to hear more from Ornette about this.

And from this point forward, Eva 2.0 speculation, etc., has its own thread. Let's try to keep this baby on topic.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:44 pm

Toji dying would be fail, he and Hikari should finally get together, damn it!

Maybe you get to see his vagina at last.

And there was much rejoicing! :lol:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Another review, this one at Ain'tItCoolNews:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33869

Very positive considering. Especially like when he talks about this not being a "Dumbing Down" of Eva. Just that now key plot points and issues aren't just randomly thrown in but seem to have a purpose and will lead somewhere.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Reichu wrote:Maybe you get to see his vagina at last.

Suddenly, I have this mental image of Kaworu as Old Gregg...

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:35 pm

A purpouse for everything in Eva? thats a bit hard to swallow.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:03 pm

Kaworu will probably have a bigger part in the second movie, considering that he wanted to meet Shinji so soon.

EDIT: And, what's this? According to the AICN review, Gendo and Fuyutsuki manipulate Shinji into groping Rei. XD I had actually kind of suspected that Misato had planned for something like that to happen when sending Shinji over there in the original; not the groping part, but like she knew what time Rei showered or something and... ehh, I don't know. It's speculation anyway and it doesn't matter because Rebuild is the true^3 version and the OTS doesn't matter anymore.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Mainuplating Shinji stuff: O_o

btw, very important question before I forget: Since we get Personal Hell train and Rei 3, does that mean during the film's start we get Quantum Physics Rei 3 in the street appearing to Shinji?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”