Different relationships?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Different relationships? [SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Will any of the relations/shipping (if there was any to begin with) change in Rebuild?
Maybe Asuka won't hate Rei, like in countless Fan-art, or maybe Shinji will dislike Kaworu, like in the manga.

Here's my idea, and Evamonkey will probably be the only person to agree...

Asuka and Kaworu. Seriously, i think it could work.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Re: Different relationships?

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:14 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:Will any of the relations/shipping (if there was any to begin with) change in Rebuild?
Maybe Asuka won't hate Rei, like in countless Fan-art, or maybe Shinji will dislike Kaworu, like in the manga.

Here's my idea, and Evamonkey will probably be the only person to agree...

I don't think so but who knows? The new pilot might add a new dimension to charcter devolpment....I hoping for another female pilot...who is intersted in Kaworu...and hates Shinji for being her rival for his affections.
Last edited by Themaninblack on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I won.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:16 pm

I hope there isn't some sort of love triangle. I've seen WAY too many of those.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:22 pm

:( To sad to bad...in order to keep the new character "important" and "interesting" she/he is going to have to add something new to character interactions...including the dreaded love triangle. The one I mentioned eariler...is the only one I could think of that would interest me in the slightest.
I won.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 pm

Personally, I think Rei and Shinji will be the main romantic relationship. The trailer showed Rei with sniper rifle and I think she will be the one who takes Ramiel down. This leaves Shinji to protect her, which could spark love between them. Also, the poster has Shinji saying, "I have nothing worth protecting." It may mean all of Shinji's friends, but it could mean Rei.
Last edited by The Goose on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:33 pm

...Why does there have to be a love triangle for things to be interesting? That wasn't in the case of the Asuka/Shinji/Rei relationship, though Asuka was afraid there was (Case in point: 22'). Jealous Asuka was jealous.

Personally, I'd really like to see Asuka & Rei becoming friends like they do in the GoS2 manga (can't say the same happens in the game! :roll: "Laser Eye attacks, bitches!").

And I seriously doubt the new character will be a Children...Even if (s)he is, I doubt they'll be any of that cliched love triangle crap, this is Anno we're talking about; he defies and goes beyond people's expectations! ;)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:33 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:Asuka and Kaworu. Seriously, I think it could work.

If they even THINK about Shipping my girl Asuka with HIM, I swear I'll...I'll-Image

Damn I love that smiley.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:39 pm

The Goose wrote:This leaves Shinji to protect her, which could spark love between them.

Counterpoint: If there was no romantic relationship between R/S in the anime case in point during Operation Yashima as well as before and after that; its not going to happen here. R/S is Sadamoto's manga territory whereas A/S is Anno's anime. Rei and Shinji seem to care for each other because of the familiarity aspect, NOT as anything more. Hell, Rei didn't even realize she cared for Shinji until somebody (Touji, I think) pointed it out!

And if you wanna get technical, the anime WAS first which makes A/S the "proper" pairing that involves Shinji. And no that stupid unfounded "Anno (Shinji's avatar): Image & Miyumara (Asuka's seiyuu): Image" rumor has NOTHING to do with it.

Besides, I'm intrigued to see how Sadamoto takes care of the "lol Rei is Shinji's Mom" factor. Didn't Shinji himself say in the manga paraphrased, "that words like "I like you" don't describe [his] relationship with Ayanami", but its more of a feeling that she's "a part of him he's had missing long ago??"*coughs* YUI*coughs*
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:40 pm

The Goose wrote:Personally, I think Rei and Shinji will be the main romantic relationship. The trailer showed Rei with sniper rifle and I think she will be the one who takes Ramiel down. This leaves Shinji to protect her, which could spark love between them. Also, the poster has Shinji saying, "I have nothing worth protecting." It may mean all of Shinji's friends, but it could mean Rei.

I missed that! That might mean no Shinji pulling Rei out of the entry plug! No S/R relationship!
I won.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:44 pm

Counterpoint: If there was no romantic relationship between R/S in the anime case in point during Operation Yashima as well as before and after that; its not going to happen here. R/S is Sadamoto's manga territory whereas A/S is Anno's anime. Rei and Shinji seem to care for each other because of the familiarity aspect, NOT as anything more. Hell, Rei didn't even realize she cared for Shinji until somebody (Touji, I think) pointed it out!

I missed that! That might mean no Shinji pulling Rei out of the entry plug! No S/R relationship!

Good points, but you never know. This is a different version of Eva after all.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:Asuka and Kaworu. Seriously, i think it could work.

I don't know why people regard this as such a fundamental impossibility (apart from, yanno, the whole total lack of canon contact thing :roll: ). Personality-wise, it makes absolute sense as far as I'm concerned. Anime-personality, anyway, since manga!Asuka doesn't...err...have one.

I'll be fascinated to see if any elements of the manga bleed into Webuild. Not that there's any reason why they should. When I think about it, there isn't really anything in the manga that would ADD to a character rather than take away from them, with the exception of Kaworu...even the "humanised" Rei of the manga loses more than she gains IMO. Silent mystique sat so much better on her than "OMG hold mai hand Shin-chan." :lol:
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Why can't we have a love square instead of a love triangle? Srsly, it could work.

Shinji---->Asuka---->Kaworu---->Rei---->Shinji
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Themaninblack wrote:I hoping for another female pilot...who is intersted in Kaworu

I'm hoping for another female pilot who is KaWHERE IS SARAH CONNOR.

The Goose wrote:The trailer showed Rei with sniper rifle

How could you tell?

The guy who saw the trailer in all its non-shitty glory noted that EVA-01 was lying on the ground with the positron rifle. And, as is well-known, EVA-00 gets the Enchanted Shield of Virtue (lol).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm

How could you tell?

The guy who saw the trailer in all its non-shitty glory noted that EVA-01 was lying on the ground with the positron rifle. And, as is well-known, EVA-00 gets the Enchanted Shield of Virtue (lol).

I thought I saw Unit-00's one eye. You could provide a link when he said it?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:09 pm

The Goose wrote:I thought I saw Unit-00's one eye. You could provide a link when he said it?

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85240#85240
There's the scene where EVA-01 is lying on its belly, set up with the positron rifle. It's facing frontwards in our direction.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:13 pm

When I think about it, there isn't really anything in the manga that would ADD to a character rather than take away from them, with the exception of Kaworu...even the "humanised" Rei of the manga loses more than she gains IMO. Silent mystique sat so much better on her than "OMG hold mai hand Shin-chan."

I like the way you think. ;)

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 pm

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85240#85240

Thanks, I stand corrected. Though I never saw it in the trailer on youtube.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Themaninblack wrote:
The Goose wrote:Personally, I think Rei and Shinji will be the main romantic relationship. The trailer showed Rei with sniper rifle and I think she will be the one who takes Ramiel down. This leaves Shinji to protect her, which could spark love between them. Also, the poster has Shinji saying, "I have nothing worth protecting." It may mean all of Shinji's friends, but it could mean Rei.
Careful now. A certain someone may take those as fighting words...Image
Indigo Arcangel wrote:<snip> Here's my idea, and Evamonkey will probably be the only person to agree...

I recall that EM considers his current avatar as only a bit/joke in the same manner that Brik-kun has his soon-to-be famous theory.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 pm

You know, I don't too much about the whole romance issue. In the original anime there was that sexual tension there between Asuka and Shinji, but it was also kinda there with Rei. SIDENOTE: One of my favorite moments in the series is after Shinji gets off naked Rei in Episode 5, when she has her back turned he feels the fingers of the hand that was on her Breastulars (classic piece of character animation).
And the manga was Rei and Shinji.

BUT- If I had to push for any kind of relationship forming (sexual or unfulfilled) I'd put ym money on Rei and Shinji. Thematically and cinematically it makes sense.

Unlike the TV show which was one continuous narrative that continued week after week, the movies don't have as much liberty in that field I feel.

In the TV show Rei and Shinji have their moments and then whamo they bring in Asuka and everything switches.

But with the movies we're dealing with a trilogy (4 movies my ass...until 3 and 4 play seperatly it's a trilogy in my eyes). And film one as far as pilots go will be strictly Shinji and Rei centric (unless Kaworu already has an Eva...a pink fru-fru one). So when movie 1 ends those two will have been set on course for whatever relationsjop they'll have.

In fact, I'm pushing that Shinji and Rei are the movies two leads and everyone else will be secondary. If these movies are as short as people hint (90 minutes each) that gives a total running time of 270 minutes. Decent, it allows for some character moments but is only about a third as long as the series. If Movie 1 is all about Shinji and Rei than the leads are set in place. The second movie will have to keep those two center field as well as juggle Asuka and the new girl (its obviously gonna be a hot girl). It'd be awkward as far as the film story would go if they just dump the heroine of film 1 for the a character introduced in film 2.

In LOTR, Aragon obviosuly should've banged Eowyn but she wasn't around in Film 1 so it was a no go. Remember, Anno and staff said these movies should be accepting for non-Fans of the series as well. Asuka and Shinji seems to be pandering to the fan group. Now if Asuka was in Film 1 than it'd probably be a different story. But I'm putting my money (what little I have) on Rei and Shinji if there is any kind of relationship.

On a side note I think people need to pay more attention to Toji. If the BARDIEL incident is still in the movies then that's most likely going to be the climax of Film 2 and if they want it to work emotionally he's gonna have to have more character development than just beating up Shinji in Film 1 and expressing remorse afterwords. I think he'll be more front and center in the movies than he was in the series. Actually, just bet the adults will get the shaft overall.

P.S. Its a slow work day so I should be ranting all day long. SQUEE!

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:46 am

Indigo Arcangel wrote:Asuka and Kaworu. Seriously, i think it could work.

What are you, stupid? :D

Perhaps this new puzzle from the Eva store is foreshadowing:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”