What Do You Think Rebuild will have?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:08 pm

i dunno, ill probably go watch episode 22-24 and EoE tomorrow, it has definatly been a while since i watched them all.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:13 pm

After watching NGE and EoE for the second time it wasn't so bad. The first time was... total mental break down for me lol, teared a few times :oops:
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:25 pm

after watching the whole thing for the first time i went into a severe case of depression, I felt my life had no meaning, I broke off contact with everyone I knew, it was pretty bad. I struggled to decipher the true meaning behind it all. Trying to figure out if Asuka and Shinji really cared for each other but refused to show it. I felt how it seems EM is feeling now, minus the girlfriend. It is not the easiest to talk about but thats just what Evangelion did to me. Going back to it won't be the easiest either.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:02 am

Wow, this thread really grew in one day.

As for my response to the current topic, I may have unfortunately screwed myself out of the full emotional Evangelion experience. Shortly before it started airing on [adult swim], which is how I started watching it (though I got the DVDs after a few episodes and watched from those), I finished watching Mahoromatic. It was the second Gainax show I saw to emotionally enthrall me, the first being FLCL. Mahoromatic, unfortunately, had an extremely dark ending that really depressed me. That was really the most depressed I had ever been. I knew that Eva had a dark ending, so I intentionally distanced myself from the characters to keep from getting hurt again. Hedgehog's dilemma? Ironically, yes.

Reichu wrote:And actually, the prepuce of the glans clitoris is the "bit of skin". The actual clitoris of the female human is an organ that, taken in its entirety, rivals the male penis (its homologue) in size.

Wow, you're really an expert on this subject for someone who's supposedly seventy percent straight. :o
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 am

I was actually enclosed myself. Trying to decipher NGE... it affected me in a good way I guess. I'm not going to go into it in detail... lets just say it changed my life(good thing) and how I look at things(so-so).

I wish there were people around here that love to look at these type of series/movies, that way when we finish watching it we can have a discussion about it. So I joined Eva Monkey forums!!!

Oh yea, and I love me 1302 English class. It's based on Anime :D
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 am

I've stayed out of this argument because I'm more of a Rei fan (and I really don't agree with the thought that she's one dimensional at all- I mean her moments are mostly understated and even still theres practically everything that happens to her in Epsiode 23).

As for Asuka- well no she didn't deserve the shit that was thrown at her but she was asking for it in a way. In real life if I ever met a woman like Asuka I don't know what I'd do. I'd be so tempted to just hit her but thats against my human morals.

Either way I do find her to be a fascinating character because even though she's a bitch for the entire series the later episodes do explain her characters deep feelings of hatred for others and her low self esteem so she does become more fascinating as the series progresses.

But on a personal level I've never seen why so many people are up for an Asuka/Shinji pairing. I guess it's because even though theres a lot of woman in Eva, Shinji is offered very little of the magic muffin. So fans who always find it necessary to create "Pairings" see Shinji with two choices- Rei and Asuka. I shudder and refuse to consider Kaworu and lets forget any kind of fan fiction with Misato, Ritsuko, Maya, freaking Kaji, whoever.

So fans think Shinji should be with Asuka or Rei- why, because its fun. Me, I love fucked up Shinji craving for some loving but getting nothing. Anywho, if you go with Rei (which if I had to choose someone for Shinji it would be her- like I said I'm a Rei kind of guy.....I don't want to analyze what that says about my sex life) you're dealing with the whole she's part his MOm bit.
So everyone's left with Asuka.

Personally the two would be a horrible couple. For the time being. Asuka despite her inner troubles is-let's face it- a BITCH. Go out in the real world and find an Asuka and try to get along with her. She treats Shinji like shit and yet everyone thinks they're a perfect couple? Are there a lot of masocistic Eva fans out there who want to be demeaned by their significant others (or in a Shinji X Asuka pairing- Master).

I don't know.

I'm ranting. It's 2 in the morning and I'm taking a break from filming this art project for a bit.

Back on topic. As for the new movies- if they at all want to make Asuka likeable there will have to be a HUGE shift in her characters personality I think.
These three movies are going to have a total running time of what- if each is 90 minutes (god I hope longer- at least Miyazaki length) then 270 minutes. 4 hours and 50 minutes. And Asuka won't show up in the first film so she'll be only be around for 180 minutes. Consider the required big screen battles, this whole new ending, other characters including this NEW ONE who will probably have a decent amount of screentime whoever they are. They cant just have Asuka be herself for the entire time until like the ending of 04.

I believe Anno can do this justice. I just FINALLY saw Gunbuster and while the first two episodes had me worried (they weren't good episodes) the rest was brilliant and I actually cried watching the final Episode. Yes, I'm that big a wimp. But I think Anno can do this series justice. I just hope some characters aren't forgotten or completely pushed aside (poor Bridge Bunnies and Fuytusuki...and Ritsuko probably too, no one seems to like her) to make room for stupid crap like a Shinji/Asuka romantic comedy.

P.S. Sorry I ranted on. Everyone can go back to their chosen topic.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:57 am

P.S.S. There's a lot of talk about the C.L.I.T. on this topic. Is it still in Southern Utah?

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:41 am

TriLink12 wrote:Two wrongs do not make a right my friend.

No but three rights make a left.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
TriLink12 wrote:ADV couldn't get all of the original voice actors to return for Platinum. The odds of them coming back for the Rebuild movies a decade later are...well...not good. To quote AWL-"They pretty much dropped off the face of the planet". Besides, why would you want them back?

FIXED! Manga dubbed EoE not ADV Image.

Did they re-record for Platinum? I thought they had already done the NPC's by then.

Fearthebait wrote:but he had the power to completely destroy them, she only lost due to running out of power and getting owned with the lance. He had the S2 engine and if forced to fight to defend Asuka, would have not stopped until he completely killed them all. I cannot say anything as certainty, but I know if I cared for someone thats exactly what I would do.

Team Shoryu doesn't appear to be part of the script, nor does fighting the MPE's, if ti was then it's irelivent if Shinji is fighting or not Yui would just do it for him. :P
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:51 am

Will Wevangelion have the same animation as the orginal and will they use Sadamoto's designs?

In terms of the orginal Japanese voice actors, I'm happy that some (or all) won't be returning. I think that if you have a new cast, it will distance the new films from the orginal series and orginal films. Hopefully it will be the same with the English voice actors. Or maybe they'll just replace Spike Spencer.

And Welcome to the forums, Opteron-O3.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:10 pm

The Goose wrote:And Welcome to the forums, Opteron-O3.

Back to the Asuka thing... If you think about it, Asuka and Shinji are the same except Asuka chose to be a bitch and Shinji chose to be a whip. But deep down inside they are the same. Low self esteem, family problems, personal problems. etc...

Back on topic :P

Will the release of the new Evangelion be on time? or will it be shown over seas first and then brought over? Just curious.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:01 pm

The Goose wrote:In terms of the orginal Japanese voice actors, I'm happy that some (or all) won't be returning.

Woah. Have I been living under a rock or something? When did they announce this? Who isn't returning? Hopefully, none of the principles as they were all quite good.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:38 pm

I can't see any reason why they'd get a new cast. If they were wouldn't that have been talked about already?

I mean if the actors hadn't done anything Evangelion since EOE then sure I'd think it a possibility but since every Gainax Eva game since has heavily featured the old cast I can't see them having any trouble brining any back.
Wasn't that Girlfriend of Steel 2 released like a little over a year ago and while I haven't played it the trailer was narrated by Kotono Mitsuishi (Misato).

I'm pretty sure that when the characters first speak in Rebuild (or whatever its called- if the Japanes say it like Evangelion I'll call it Evangelion, not Wevangewion) I'm sure we can all breath a sigh of release.

And hey, is anyone else dying to see Satoshi Kon's PAPRIKA? It looks beautiful and features a starring role from everyones favorite- Megumi Hayashibara (Rei, Pen-Pen, Eva 01, Yui, and basically 1/2 of all the background nameless female characters)

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:38 pm

I don't know if they will be returning, but I assumed. Sorry, now I'm like Shinji. :cry:

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 pm

There was talk about this when Rebuild was announced. Some of them have supposedly retired. Others :cough: Miyamura :cough: had absurd conditions. Don't know how legit the info was though.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Miyamura had absurd conditions since the day she was born.

I read not long ago that Yuriko Yamaguchi is abandoning (temporarily?) her role as Nico Robin in One Piece and will be replaced by someone else. I wonder if this has anything to do with Rebuild.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Fearthebait wrote:after watching the whole thing for the first time i went into a severe case of depression, I felt my life had no meaning, I broke off contact with everyone I knew, it was pretty bad. I struggled to decipher the true meaning behind it all. Trying to figure out if Asuka and Shinji really cared for each other but refused to show it. I felt how it seems EM is feeling now, minus the girlfriend. It is not the easiest to talk about but thats just what Evangelion did to me. Going back to it won't be the easiest either.

I had a similar reaction to EVA; I was already in a really bad depression at the time, feeling pretty much empty inside. I watched EVA and End of Evangelion in about two goes, the first quarter of it, then when I went to watch more... I couldn't stop. I sat there in awe after Asuka get massacred to my favorite song (Air; which made it all the more powerful), seeing the third impact occur to an upbeat pop song with suicidal lyrics, and one of the most empty emotionless-free ending's ever created.

It made my depression go to a whole other level, I remember sitting there staring at my ceiling listening to Emergency Evacuation to Regression for about three hours pondering what to do .. if I should just kill myself or not. I can honestly say I did not care for a single thing in the world, and nothing could pull me away from that. I don't think I moved at all throughout that entire period. So after that I sat there and rewatched EVA about two times then studied it until I understood just about all I could of it and fully appreciate it for how it was meant to be taken. Most will not understand this, and I don’t expect them too. However, while watching EVA I saw myself and similar things before me from an outside perspective, it made me think a lot and gave light to a lot of things.

After that I realized, the ending wasn't emotionless, it was full of emotion. I just oblivious to it before....

Nonetheless, to get back on topic, they cannot change Asuka's character. The hatred you felt for her at the beginning of the show, it was needed. It was the catalyst for his character; it made everyrthing have a much greater meaning, impact, and generally made it more believable. We grow to understand her, why and how she is who she is; we grow to care for her. More "likeable" means more "normal", which is anything but Asuka. That is why almost everything dislikes either Rei, Shinji, or Asuka. Very few people seem to like them all equally, we cling to the ones that represent ourselves, at the very least the ones we understand the most. I love Gendo, I'm much like Gendo. A friend loves Asuka, she is much like Asuka. Another person I know loves Asuka, he is similar to Shinji and wants someone like Asuka in his life, but he won't admit that he himself is very close to Shinji. We form relationships within the characters that is not something I want to see ruined in Rebuild.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Millions Livio wrote:
Fearthebait wrote:after watching the whole thing for the first time i went into a severe case of depression, I felt my life had no meaning, I broke off contact with everyone I knew, it was pretty bad. I struggled to decipher the true meaning behind it all. Trying to figure out if Asuka and Shinji really cared for each other but refused to show it. I felt how it seems EM is feeling now, minus the girlfriend. It is not the easiest to talk about but thats just what Evangelion did to me. Going back to it won't be the easiest either.

I had a similar reaction to EVA; I was already in a really bad depression at the time, feeling pretty much empty inside. I watched EVA and End of Evangelion in about two goes, the first quarter of it, then when I went to watch more... I couldn't stop. I sat there in awe after Asuka get massacred to my favorite song (Air; which made it all the more powerful), seeing the third impact occur to an upbeat pop song with suicidal lyrics, and one of the most empty emotionless-free ending's ever created.

It made my depression go to a whole other level, I remember sitting there staring at my ceiling listening to Emergency Evacuation to Regression for about three hours pondering what to do .. if I should just kill myself or not. I can honestly say I did not care for a single thing in the world, and nothing could pull me away from that. I don't think I moved at all throughout that entire period. So after that I sat there and rewatched EVA about two times then studied it until I understood just about all I could of it and fully appreciate it for how it was meant to be taken. Most will not understand this, and I don’t expect them too. However, while watching EVA I saw myself and similar things before me from an outside perspective, it made me think a lot and gave light to a lot of things.

After that I realized, the ending wasn't emotionless, it was full of emotion. I just oblivious to it before....

Nonetheless, to get back on topic, they cannot change Asuka's character. The hatred you felt for her at the beginning of the show, it was needed. It was the catalyst for his character; it made everyrthing have a much greater meaning, impact, and generally made it more believable. We grow to understand her, why and how she is who she is; we grow to care for her. More "likeable" means more "normal", which is anything but Asuka. That is why almost everything dislikes either Rei, Shinji, or Asuka. Very few people seem to like them all equally, we cling to the ones that represent ourselves, at the very least the ones we understand the most. I love Gendo, I'm much like Gendo. A friend loves Asuka, she is much like Asuka. Another person I know loves Asuka, he is similar to Shinji and wants someone like Asuka in his life, but he won't admit that he himself is very close to Shinji. We form relationships within the characters that is not something I want to see ruined in Rebuild.

Omg... I thought I was the only one that felt that way...

I'm more of the Shinji looking for an Asuka. I'm not as bad as Shinji though...

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:21 pm

I can relate to Toji, except the kindness and the missing limbs stuff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:22 pm

If EoE doesn't leave you feeling desolate, you either have no soul, or not enough problems of your own to have been drawn to latch on to one or other of the characters.

If Rebuild can manage the same, it will have succeeded. I fear that it will retreat into the audience comfort zone, though.

And, as noted before, it was Asuka whose plight hit closest to where I live.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:If EoE doesn't leave you feeling desolate, you either have no soul, or not enough problems of your own to have been drawn to latch on to one or other of the characters.

Hmm, I wonder if I fit in the soulless category.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”