Mari Breaking the Loop?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ArvisTaljik
Adam

Re: Mari Breaking the Loop?

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:45 am

View Original PostArchangel wrote:
SPOILER: Show
"Conclusion: Rebuild IS NGE if NGE had been done with today's technology."

Hear hear!

As a wise old Dane once said... "let it go".

And by that I mean the series.

Let NGE go... at least when discussing Rebuild.

Seriously; there's liking something and then there's this... being such a fanboy that you can't enjoy the reboot without somehow linking it, in-universe to the original is sad.

Y'know; it's ok to like Rebuild without it being a sequel to NGE.

Liking Rebuild does not invalidate the existence of NGE.

NGE will always exist. It'll always be the original.

There are SO many unexplainable, in-universe inconsistencies between the original and Rebuild that it is literally impossible for Rebuild to exist in the same universe as NGE...

Here's a whole bunch;

Yui Ayanami vs Yui Ikari
Yui takes Gendou's last name in Rebuild vs Gendou taking Yui's last name in NGE.
Asuka Langley Shikinami vs Asuka Langley Soryu.
Mari... vs... ?
Shikinami is a Euro Air Force Captain and a fighter pilot vs Soryu being college student.
Shikinami is confident in her own abilities but is socially awkward/reclusive in Rebuild vs Soryu having a severe anxiety disorder which she covers up be trying to act like an adult in NGE.
Shinji hates Gendou in Rebuild vs Shinji being wishy washy with his feelings in NGE.
Evangelion unit 02 has red blood in Rebuild vs Unit 02 has purple blood in NGE
2nd impact has 4 Adams and 4 spears in Rebuild vs 1 adam and 1 spear.
The oceans turned red during 2nd impact in Rebuild vs the oceans not changing colour during 2nd Impact in NGE.
Evangelions Units 05, 08 and 13 and Mk 06 and 09 are individual Eva's with their own unique designs in Rebuild vs Evangelions 05, 06, 08, 09 and 13 all being mass produced Evas (re:albino orcas with red lipstick) in NGE.
Gendou cooperates with SEELE in Rebuild vs Gendou betraying SEELE in NGE.
Kaworu is the 1st Angel in Rebuild vs Kaworu is the last Angel in NGE... excluding humanity.
Ritsuko is not sleeping with Gendou in Rebuild vs Ritsuko riding Gendou's baloney pony in NGE.
NERV HQ will blow itself up if anything with "Pattern Blue" enters Terminal Dogma in Rebuild vs the self destruct has to be manually activated in NGE.
The Magi computers are just computers in Rebuild vs the Magi computers being Ritsuko's mum... powered by Windows and twice as moody in NGE.
Sakura Suzuhara is a character with a face and personality in Rebuild vs Toji's sister being a nobody in NGE.
The EVA's pilots are interchangeable in Rebuild vs Evas and Pilots have to be matched in NGE.
Unit 01 is the only Eva with a human soul in Rebuild vs every Eva has a human soul (or dummy soul) in NGE.
The Dummy system is a machine that speaks backwards in Rebuild vs the Dummy system is a Rei clone... powered by Apple and twice as moody in NGE.
The Angels have numbers in Rebuild vs the Angels have names that no character ever acknowledges in the show in NGE.
Shinji and Asuka are startled by Penpen because they have never seen a penguin and didn't even know birds like him existed; since lesser life forms like animals were wiped out in 2nd Impact in Rebuild vs Shinji being surprised by a penguin living in Misato's flat in NGE
WILLE... vs... ?
Kaji is (I suspect) part of WILLE from the start in Rebuild vs Kaji is a spy for that chick with the dog in NGE.
SEELE are an immortal monolithic illuminati who have guided human civilisation since the dawn of history in Rebuild vs SEELE are a committee of government lackeys who later go into hiding and use projected monoliths as "sound only" representations of themselves in NGE.
Keele is not in Rebuild vs Keele being SEELE's head honcho in NGE.

And many more besides...

And please don't try and explain how any of these are connected (they're not and I don't care).

Just let it go... Stop seeing what isn't there and polluting every conversation with this asinine sequel theory which doesn't make any real sense.

I only have this to say:

+1 :emogendo:
peace: /piːs/
noun: a condition attained through the decisive employment of superior firepower

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Archangel wrote:Let NGE go... at least when discussing Rebuild.

Seriously; there's liking something and then there's this... being such a fanboy that you can't enjoy the reboot without somehow linking it, in-universe to the original is sad.

[...]

And please don't try and explain how any of these are connected (they're not and I don't care).

Just let it go... Stop seeing what isn't there and polluting every conversation with this asinine sequel theory which doesn't make any real sense.

This just strikes me as an incredibly close-minded way to look at things. I'm not really sure what the benefit of this limited of a mindset would be.

anonymaus wrote:Evageeks has a pseudo political thing happening where facts which might contradict their theories are denied. It really holds the site back. You'll learn much more if you're excited by different opinions instead of being afraid of them.

Some of you have spent literal years never accepting an idea about Evangelion which came from another person. Don't you think it's likely that you're spending too much mental energy propping up the beautiful integrity of the ideas you hold now, and not enough energy exploring exciting new possibilities?

You're certainly right to an extent (see above); however I think you're forgetting to apply all of this to yourself just as much as you do others. If you want people to play with your idea, why not play with their's a little bit first?

Anyways, I think the idea of Mari tinkering with the SDAT is very interesting, because it would imply that she has at least some degree of thought and planning of her actions shrouded beneath her careless exterior. It would add some much needed depth to her character, is what I'm trying to say. I could see this being revealed in a non-explicit way, adding another interpretive element to the story, but we'll see.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Close minded?

Trying to piece together "six degrees of separation" between two seperate entities does not make you open minded.

It makes you obsessed!

If you cannot watch Rebuild without "fan-fiction-ing" it to have an in-universe connection to NGE when the story itself makes it abundantly clear that Rebuild is a reboot of NGE not a sequel, then I'm afraid it is you who may have an unhealthy thought process.

The benefit of so called "limited mindset" (re: a realistic acceptance that Rebuild is a remake not a sequel) is I'm not getting hung up on my own pre-conceived ideas; when I watch 3.0+1.0 for the first time it will be a grand new tale of sci fi adventure and mystery...

I wont be sitting there, seething in my own fanboyism, moaning about how the story doesn't fit NGE's canon.
In a world of order, chaos rules.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 am

Perhaps I wasn't clear:

There is a discernible difference between being dead-set on NTE being a sequel and merely being open to the idea of NTE being a sequel. When I say "close-minded", I am referring to a refusal of the latter, not the former.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 am

I'm also not open to the idea of Shinji waking up at the end of 3.0+1.0 and exclaiming "it was all a dream" whilst End of Eva continues happening... Which is another asinine theory which gets tossed around.

I'm not open minded, at all, to any of these amateur-hour ideas.

They sound like something thought up on a 12 year old's Deviantart page and Anno will out himself as a hack if this is were Rebuild ends up.
In a world of order, chaos rules.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 am

View Original PostCommanderFish wrote:Anyways, I think the idea of Mari tinkering with the SDAT is very interesting, because it would imply that she has at least some degree of thought and planning of her actions shrouded beneath her careless exterior. It would add some much needed depth to her character, is what I'm trying to say. I could see this being revealed in a non-explicit way, adding another interpretive element to the story, but we'll see.

Oh, it is an interesting idea and all, we just need textual evidence of it in order to really consider that a theory. (An not simply treat it simply like a cool idea.) Other people messing around with Shinji's STAD Player is a very big deal in these movies. Rei does so much as pick it up out of the trash towards the end of Eva Jo, and the camera lingers on her action for a solid period of time. Kaworu fixes Shinji's STAD Player in Eva Q, and there are multiple scenes that set up and explore this fact. It is discussed in depth that Gendo had originally had this STAD Player, and every verbal method was used by the filmmakers to make sure that the audience understood that Gendo was another person to have dealt with Shinji's STAD Player.

Mari simply bumps into Shinji and immediately hands it back back to him in less that a half-minute. If she had altered it in anyway, it was probably because of the accidental, yet forceful, impact of her boobs.

Mari altered Shinji STAD Player with her boobs impacting it.

Boob Impact.

I mean, you can accept Boob Impact as a very important moment in the narrative canon if you want, but....

EDIT: She could have placed a tracking device on it, I guess. But that still wouldn't be anything that would make the STAD Player go onto Track 27. At least, I've yet to find that hidden microphones, GPS devices, etc., have affected my audio equipment in a similar fashion.

Bonifatus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bonifatus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:56 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostArchangel wrote:Close minded?

Trying to piece together "six degrees of separation" between two seperate entities does not make you open minded.

It makes you obsessed!

If you cannot watch Rebuild without "fan-fiction-ing" it to have an in-universe connection to NGE when the story itself makes it abundantly clear that Rebuild is a reboot of NGE not a sequel, then I'm afraid it is you who may have an unhealthy thought process.

The benefit of so called "limited mindset" (re: a realistic acceptance that Rebuild is a remake not a sequel) is I'm not getting hung up on my own pre-conceived ideas; when I watch 3.0+1.0 for the first time it will be a grand new tale of sci fi adventure and mystery...

I wont be sitting there, seething in my own fanboyism, moaning about how the story doesn't fit NGE's canon.

Look, I think it's too early to proclaim with absolute certainty that there is zero chance the NTE is related to NGE at all, especially before the last film comes out. I thought it had been pretty conclusively proven that NTE was not a direct sequel (and I'm fairly certain there's like 50 billion threads proving that? Am I wrong?), so I'm not necessarily on board with this idea of a "sequel loop," but that doesn't discredit there being some sort of non-sequel loop. i.e. Like a function running with slightly different parameters, or the idea that NGE is a story that has happened more than once, with slightly different outcomes each time and what we're seeing with NTE is a different instance of that same story (Which kind of fits with the whole idea that Evangelion is a piece of Anno, as Anno changes the outcome of Evangelion changes and what we see is one version of Eva that reflects the "instantaneous Anno."). I favor this theory because of a lot of the things that have come from Khara relating to the last film (the repeat sign in the title, the break from the traditional naming pattern, seeming to indicate a return to the beginning, and the fact that Anno has said Evangelion is a story that repeats, etc), but I acknowledge that, while my pet theory, there's not nearly enough to conclusively prove it.

Assuming that the loop holds though, the idea that Mari, who I believe (I'm not positive though) is the only character who doesn't appear or is not mentioned in NGE, but does in NTE, is some sort of change-maker, i.e. somebody who is aware of their action's effect on the timeline and consciously can and does take actions to effect said timeline, seems reasonable. I agree that there's nowhere near enough evidence to push it beyond "interesting idea" territory, but I think it is a plausible interesting idea, especially given that I strongly believe that there are few coincidences in Evangelion. Mari bumped into Shinji for a reason. Perhaps it was just so she could have enough sway on him later when he is running away, perhaps it was to fiddle with his SDAT, perhaps it was for some yet unknown reason. We don't know for certain, but we can't prove it to be false yet either.

(Kaworu falling into the same group of "change-making" characters could also serve to explain somewhat how he appears to have significant prior knowledge about Shinji and seems to say weird things indicating that he's met Shinji before, but that's a different theory)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”