Rebuild Instrumentality Theory

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Rebuild Instrumentality Theory

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Alright, I've been sitting on this theory for quite a while now, so I may as well share it.

What if the Rebuild films actually take place within a reality constructed by Shinji during Instrumentality?

Certainly this idea has been brought up in some fashion during the many years of discussion these films have had, but here's a basic summary of what I'm thinking: Shinji's goal is to redo his life and find happiness without having so many things get fucked up in the process. So he is building, and "rebuilding", over and over again, changing a few aspects each time, trying to create the perfect reality for himself -- only to destroy it in the end and have to start all over again, a la the loop theory (the sandbox scene in EoE would be a pretty good metaphor for this, actually; I guess it helps that it was referenced in 2.22 as well).

To clarify, this is not a situation where it's simply "all in his head" or anything. Other people are not just images or ideas; they are true individuals, with a soul and consciousness and a will of their own; however their identities have been been altered or "tweaked" by Shinji in this way and that. I figure this would be the case seeing as everyone's souls are collected during Instrumentality anyways, so it's only logical they'd be part of the new reality that Shinji creates. Of course, virtually no-one is aware of this, Shinji included (of his own volition, presumably). Kaworu (Adam) is -- which may explain his motives in Q as well as his many cryptic lines -- and “quantum” Rei (Lilith) is. Everybody else is not. Meaning, also, that Shinji either has no control over reality -- save for when he is first rebuilding/creating it --or he has some type of unknowing control over it.

I could divulge further into my thought process with this, sharing all the evidence and whatnot, but before any of that I honestly just want to hear what people think about the idea itself, (and possibly know if its inception lies elsewhere). I'm well aware of the type of reputation sequel theories have here, so I'm particularly interested to hear what type of reception (if any) this idea receives.

And oh yeah -- I didn't really explicitly mention it, but this would technically be qualified as a sequel theory, since Instrumentality takes place during EoE. On that note, though:
SPOILER: Show
The biggest problem I'm having with this theory is figuring out when during the Instrumentality process Shinji is doing all of this (building and rebuilding symmetrical realities). He goes through quite a specific step-by-step cerebral journey during both EoE and EoTV, and as a result it's difficult to pinpoint a spot wherein Shinji's head space would logically make the decision to restart/redo his life. In addition, one of the biggest (and perhaps most obvious) connections between EoE and the Rebuilds is the red sea. However -- as far as we know -- Shinji has no way of knowing about the red sea until after he's already rejected Instrumentality and returned to the real world. Of course, there are still many valid possibilities -- maybe Shinji just used the real world as a sort of "template" for his new reality, red oceans and all. Or maybe Shinji didn't entirely exit Instrumentality when we thought he did; maybe he made the decision to scrap everything and start over right after his head bobbed out of the water and looked upon GNR's decapitated head, right before the ONE MORE FINAL title card (although I admit I don't really like this one as much). But I still think this is the largest hindrance of this theory, by far. That being said, this is subject to change after I hear what y'all have to say about it. :wink:
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Rebuild Instrumentality Theory

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 am

I've mentioned at least once on this forum before that I have a general theory that every single "canon" iteration of Evangelion (NGE/Manga/Rebuild) is a world brought on by Instrumentality and that's been Anno's lynchpin to the plot of 3.0+1.0 and his ultimate finale to the Evangelion franchise.

The real question though is: What reality was the "original" reality? And, since Anno's theory about Evangelion is that it's "a story that repeats", how will Shinji break the cycle of repetition? In a sense, Anno might be using Shinji's neverending Instumentality purgatory as a metaphor for his fanbase, whom he must know has been similarly "stuck" in an endless cycle of theories, alternate fanfic endings, etc. ever since the original series ended 20 years ago. Anno might see it that people never really moved on from their obsession with Evangelion and this would be a good way to capitalize on that metaphor.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 am

Well as far as your problem of when is concerned, *using best Aizen Sosuke interpretation* Since when were you under the impression that NGETV and EOE is the original instrumentality?? :devil:

On a serious note, yeah i can see where the loop/sequel/multiverse possibilities come from given Kaworu's cryptic lines in the NTE and the appearance of Q-Rei, so there is that. It could also be a meta commentary from Anno on not only the eva fandom, but even on himself, redoing eva again and trying to get it 'right'. Personally though, that sort of ending would be a bit too close to Big O's ending and i kinda want a wholly original ending.

Big Os ending for comparison  SPOILER: Show
As i understood it every character was playing as an "actor" in someone else's scenario, said author was going to reset the world by the end and it was heavily implied that not only it wasn't the first time, but other variations were quite different. The author self inserted into the story but didn't become self-aware until it was reset time. The MC finally convinces the author to accept reality and the series ends on another reset. It has been years since i last watched it and may have missed some things, but that's the gist of it.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Guy Nacks wrote:In a sense, Anno might be using Shinji's neverending Instumentality purgatory as a metaphor for his fanbase, whom he must know has been similarly "stuck" in an endless cycle of theories, alternate fanfic endings, etc. ever since the original series ended 20 years ago.

Yeah, this is basically what I was thinking. Except I'm inclined to believe he's critiquing the "otaku" shut-in lifestyle as a whole, and that perhaps he is disappointed at his fans who claim they love NGE and yet disregard all of its anti-escapist messages. I'm just spit-balling though, I don't really know.
Regardless, I'm very glad to hear someone else agree with me!

Settie wrote:It could also be a meta commentary from Anno on not only the eva fandom, but even on himself, redoing eva again and trying to get it 'right'.

I never really considered this, but perhaps that's just me. I'd like to think that Anno is satisfied with the way NGE ended, because I certainly am. I want The End of Evangelion to truly be THE END of Evangelion. (But I'm still a sequel theorist, I guess. Funny how that works..)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:48 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I've mentioned at least once on this forum before that I have a general theory that every single "canon" iteration of Evangelion (NGE/Manga/Rebuild) is a world brought on by Instrumentality and that's been Anno's lynchpin to the plot of 3.0+1.0 and his ultimate finale to the Evangelion franchise.

The real question though is: What reality was the "original" reality? And, since Anno's theory about Evangelion is that it's "a story that repeats", how will Shinji break the cycle of repetition? In a sense, Anno might be using Shinji's neverending Instumentality purgatory as a metaphor for his fanbase, whom he must know has been similarly "stuck" in an endless cycle of theories, alternate fanfic endings, etc. ever since the original series ended 20 years ago. Anno might see it that people never really moved on from their obsession with Evangelion and this would be a good way to capitalize on that metaphor.

Anno gave up on lecturing that part of the fanbase

As for the previous Evangelion, many people took what I made as 'entertainment' and turned it into a 'target of dependence.' I wanted to take responsibility for those people becoming impudent. I wanted to bring the work back to the level of entertainment. However, I’ve started to pull back from that subject (criticizing 'escapist otaku.') Those kind of people don’t understand, no matter what you say. I finally realized there’s nothing you can do.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 pm

As for the previous Evangelion, many people took what I made as 'entertainment' and turned it into a 'target of dependence.' I wanted to take responsibility for those people becoming impudent. I wanted to bring the work back to the level of entertainment. However, I’ve started to pull back from that subject (criticizing 'escapist otaku.') Those kind of people don’t understand, no matter what you say. I finally realized there’s nothing you can do.

Doesn't this imply that he was focused on this subject at one point in time? Possibly during the production of the first Rebuild films?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 pm

View Original PostCommanderFish wrote:what if the Rebuild films actually take place within a reality constructed by Shinji during Instrumentality?

Why would Shinji create the kind of reality shown in the movies? Tons of stuff has absolutely nothing to do with Shinji's happiness levels. You don't need to make Angels explode into LCL, add three Adams, invent the Spear of Cassius, change Lilith's mask, etc etc etc in order to find happiness -- would make far more sense to just eliminate all that crap completely.

Also, these kinds of ideas tend to be by their very nature entirely unfalsifiable and extraneous to the work, so I never saw much point in them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:33 am

View Original PostCommanderFish wrote:Doesn't this imply that he was focused on this subject at one point in time? Possibly during the production of the first Rebuild films?

The interview is from October 2012, before 3.0 even came out, and I don't see any sort of lecturing in 1.0 or 2.0. I think he's referring to NGE and EoE.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why would Shinji create the kind of reality shown in the movies? Tons of stuff has absolutely nothing to do with Shinji's happiness levels. You don't need to make Angels explode into LCL, add three Adams, invent the Spear of Cassius, change Lilith's mask, etc etc etc in order to find happiness -- would make far more sense to just eliminate all that crap completely.

Also, these kinds of ideas tend to be by their very nature entirely unfalsifiable and extraneous to the work, so I never saw much point in them.

Depends if deep down he thinks he deserves to be punished instead of being happy. If we see an Angel or Eva with a red pyramid shaped head in Final, then we'll be fixed. :ninja:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Depends if deep down he thinks he deserves to be punished instead of being happy.

That only addresses why Shinji wouldn't eliminate things like the Evas and Angels, not the rest of my point.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Maybe it's just a bad dream for Shinji: he unconsciously projected all of his fears into that alternative reality.

However I believe that the movies are set in the real world: Ha extensively focused on how beautiful is the world and on Shinji discovering the pleasure of nurturing something, that's why the destruction in Q is such a shock for him.
If all that beauty he discovered was just an illusion Q's impact would be severely undermined in my opinion, even if the other people in that "dream" were real.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Could be some Haruhi Suzumiya type nonsense where Shinji subconsciously influences the world he created.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why would Shinji create the kind of reality shown in the movies? Tons of stuff has absolutely nothing to do with Shinji's happiness levels. You don't need to make Angels explode into LCL, add three Adams, invent the Spear of Cassius, change Lilith's mask, etc etc etc in order to find happiness -- would make far more sense to just eliminate all that crap completely.

Part of my theory has always been that Shinji's subconscious/unconscious/inner feelings and emotions influence some aspects of his constructed reality. Sort of like Joseki suggested here:
Joseki wrote:he unconsciously projected all of his fears into that alternative reality.

If you ask me, the LCL that explodes from the angels in NTE is more akin to blood than it is LCL -- same with the new red ocean. In fact, throughout all the Rebuilds, you have this almost excessive amount of deep red/blood-like color showing up everywhere. Could this not be a physical manifestation of Shinji's immense feelings of guilt? Be it the blood on his hands and the cross after Misato pushed him into the elevator, or the blood on his (Unit's) hands after he killed Kaworu, or the "blood" saturating the ocean at the end of EoE (if Shinji did in fact get that far before restarting everything). And speaking of Kaworu; those Failures of Infinity sure do remind me of a certain headless angel statue -- as I'm certainly not the first to observe -- but it fits in well with the whole guilt scenario. Furthermore, by 3.0, practically the whole world is doused in red; and while I'm well aware that this is technically "core material", I'm just as aware that that the angels technically explode into "LCL". My point being that blood is a well-established visual motif in Neon Genesis that I wouldn't be surprised to see Shinji traumatically carry over to his new world.

I believe one possibility is that the three extra Adams and three extra Spears may be "leftovers", so to speak. That is, they were the Adam(s) and Spear(s) of one failed reality ago, two failed realities ago, and three failed realities ago. Why four of each? Because four repetitions is -- from all that I know of it -- the game of Shogi (which would ultimately make the Rebuild tetralogy a metaphorical game of Shogi within the fourth repetition of a larger game of Shogi. :cringe: But then again, I wouldn't be surprised when coming from the master himself).

And on that note:
ElMariachi wrote:Depends if deep down he thinks he deserves to be punished instead of being happy.

Sachi wrote:Could be some Haruhi Suzumiya type nonsense where Shinji subconsciously influences the world he created.

Yes and yes! (Even though I haven't seen Haruhi...)
I've considered both of these ideas before and I'm so happy to find others who have as well!

EDIT -- Deleted part:
SPOILER: Show
Lilith's new mask may abide by the same logic, albeit a bit flimsier, and certainly not something you should perceive as anything but fanwank: as Shinji repeats his life again and again, he becomes slightly more familiar with the alien space god known as Lilith, to the point where her mask becomes one more akin to an even more familiar alien space god, Sachiel (namely the new one he grows out after getting bombed). Then Lilith's original mask gets pushed off to very far-away place. Hell, even the whole "deeper shade of red" deal could be explained by this "leftover" phenomenon, if you really wanted to. If the LCL, (or whatever else turns everything red) was to build up across multiple repetitions, it makes sense that a higher saturation would turn everything a darker and darker shade of red. Obviously I'm just spit-balling at this point, but regardless I do believe that this theory has many options.
Last edited by CommanderFish on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:27 am

View Original PostCommanderFish wrote:If you ask me, the LCL that explodes from the angels in NTE is more akin to blood than it is LCL

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Image_collapse

So serious question: is this just for fun, or are you serious enough about these ideas to be able to think of anything that would convince you away from them? The falsifiability that I mentioned. I realize that "fan theories" usually amount to "wild speculation" and never aspire for anything more... But as one who is scientifically inclined it always pains me to see "theory" used like this ("it's just a theory!" is one of the most obnoxious anti-science lines out there...), so it's always refreshing to see usage of the term paired with some kind of rigor. My impression so far, though, is that anything can be used to support your idea and nothing can be used to poke a hole in it, making it indestructible personal dogma.

Since you want to know what people think, I'll be honest. While you show awareness of the "all in his head"/"all just a dream" cliche, the whole "everyone is in the Matrix, and somebody is the One" school of fan speculation is really nothing more than the evolved form of the same memetic taxon. "You can't trust what you see; the 'real story' is happening behind a curtain that will be peeled back any time now!", now combined with "one exceptional person is allowed to freely reshape reality around themselves in deeply metaphysical and inscrutable ways". Traditional narratives seem to no longer satisfy; they need to be wrapped up in multiple nesting dolls and then analyzed from one or more layers out.

Why? What's wrong with the traditional narrative or the self-contained story? Why does it have to be a matrix within a matrix or a dream within a dream? What value is added?

(Edited in a rant while you replied, but you can ignore it if you like, I'm just letting off steam. :tongue: )
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 am

Reichu wrote:So serious question: is this just for fun, or are you serious enough about these ideas to be able to think of anything that would convince you to drop them? The falsfiability that I mentioned. I realize that "fan theories" usually amount to "wild speculation" and never aspire for anything more... But as one who is scientifically inclined it always pains me to see "theory" used like this ("it's just a theory!" is one of the most obnoxious anti-science lines out there...), so it's always refreshing to see usage of the term paired with some kind of rigor. My impression so far, though, is that anything can be used to support your idea and nothing can be used to poke a hole in it, making it indestructible personal dogma.

It's just for fun. I'm not rigidly attached to the idea, I more so just wanted to get it out there, and see what other people thought about it. Unfortunately that means that it's not exactly a "theory" in the scientific definition of the term. Sorry to disappoint.

And I don't want to give the impression that everything ever in the Rebuilds somehow supports this idea, because it most definitely does not! I think I have a bad habit of having to address every individual problem immediately, even at the behest of a truly rational solution. It's something I've gotta stop doing. I do think there's much to discuss about all the "blood" and much to discuss about the significance of the four Adams and four Lances, including apart from this idea. I don't think my Lilith-mask idea is anything else but horridly weak and I may go back and delete it. :tongue:

Also, thanks for the link.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 am

Alright, that makes me feel a little better. :wink:

About the red oceans, I pondered this deeply quite recently... The amount of fluid saturating the oceans is so utterly ridiculous that I finally realized that trying to explain it, as I had been doing, by one of the Adams swelling up and exploding didn't really work. There's simply too much. Though, the fact that the Angels swell up in the first place is quite interesting -- the amount of LCL produced far exceeds their original volume. So between this and the aftermath of Second Impact, it occurred to me that we could well be seeing the concept of the LCL Sea from NGE being recycled into a new form -- that, somewhere, there's a domain of nothing but LCL. The Angel's cores bloating with LCL upon image collapse, then, would harken back to way that, in NGE, cores link to the astral plane and are full of LCL accordingly. All of the Impacts in the new films seem to involve an Adam and a portal opening up to another space. At the South Pole, we see that this portal is still open as of Eva 2.0. This space is the Chamber of Guf, about which we know basically nothing in the new films, but in NGE it is linked intimately with the fluidic domain of LCL. If something similar is going on in the new movies, this could quite readily explain how there was enough LCL to flood the oceans of Earth: it came from SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I've got nothing on the Adams and Spears. Doubt we'll make any real progress there until the last movie is out; there just isn't enough information.

P.S. The official translation is "Spear", as rendered by khara's in-house translator Dan Kanemitsu. (The thing was a "Spear" back in an EoE monitor display, too.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:58 am

^

I thought that the water had been turned into LCL by Second Impact, which is why Humanity is able to turn the LCL back into water, as shown in 2.0.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 am

The facility we're shown looks like a high-tech, Kabbalah-themed water treatment plant -- the takeaway being that LCL is an environmental pollutant that is removed by way of successive treatments.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:10 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:All of the Impacts in the new films seem to involve an Adam and a portal opening up to another space.

I'm following you on everything else except for this. I can understand how the first two involve Adam, but how does Near-3I? And how exactly does 4I? (unless you're talking about Kaworu, in this case)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Unit-01 is heavily implied to be one of the four Adams in NTE. Unit-13 as well.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”