...let's talk about 3.33.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kestrellius
Embryo

...let's talk about 3.33.

•      
  •      

Postby Kestrellius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:14 am

I. Context.

A couple days ago I finally decided to watch the Rebuilds all the way through. Now, 1.11 and 2.22 held no real surprises for me -- I had, among other things, watched the SFdebris reviews of those films (and in the case of 1.11, seen NGE), so I pretty much knew the plot to the letter. But I went into 3.33 partially blind. I knew most of the setup -- I was aware of the timeskip, N3I, WILLE (I don't know how that's pronounced, although I'm assuming it's something other than "willy"; even by anime naming standards, that would just be stupid), and that Kaworu was involved and died again. I knew a couple other details about the ending, but most of the film's structure was new to me. With that in mind --

II. My thoughts.

As films, I'm honestly not that impressed with the Rebuilds. Mostly, the pacing is weird -- they somehow manage to be both incredibly rushed and really boring at times. However, I mostly wanted to watch them for the effects and lore and such, so it's not a particularly big deal. My interest in the character stuff had largely run its course after watching the original series. (Or at least that's what I thought. I seem to have been pulled back in pretty comprehensively. ...crap.)

As for 3.33's plot -- as I said, I wasn't aware of the film's structure. I'd assumed that Shinji was with WILLE the whole time, so Rei-Q's rescue/abduction of him came as a complete (and pleasant) surprise. To be frank, I was pretty much rooting for Nerv and SEELE -- yeah, they're all sort of nefarious, but at least they're not crazy morons like WILLE appear to be, and they seem to actually know what they're doing. (Also, Midori's mouth. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE, WOMAN.) Plus I'm not automatically anti-Instrumentality, so that helps too. Oh, and Fuyutsuki's interesting and likable now; that's new.

I've never been a fan of Shinji-torture, so obviously much of the film was pretty uncomfortable (although it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe). My ultimate opinion on that largely depends on the payoff in the final film, though, so I don't have much more to say on the topic.

III. "Eva" is a story that repeats.

Full disclosure: I would very much like it if NTE was, in some in-universe way, related to NGE. This is because I'm generally a strict Watsonian -- I prefer to stay in the secondary world when discussing works of fiction, and if they're completely separate continuities, then NGE is entirely cut off from the conversation unless I want to talk about out-of-universe factors. There's also the idea that if we've had two iterations of this story, it might be leading up to something even bigger and more interesting. Plus I just like time loops. They're cool.

Now, to get more specific: I'm pretty much throwing in with this theory by Koritsuyuutsu. It's astonishingly well-supported by evidence that actually demonstrates intent. (Incidentally: I have not read that entire thread, just the OP and some other bits. I guess it somehow devolved into a flamewar or something at the end?)

For a little while I was considering the idea that maybe 1.11-2.22 and 3.33 are actually sort of in different time loops, and every 14 years an Impact event occurs that resets the world in a different (perhaps progressively worse) state (normal oceans but widespread destruction, then red oceans, then most of humanity dead and the planet completely screwed). It doesn't really add up, but I still think it's worth mentioning. It might explain some of WILLE's weirder behavior, too.

As I said above, I'd like to find a way to incorporate NGE into this theory. The biggest issue with this is that the point of divergence is supposed to be Second Impact, and there are differences between NGE and NTE that predate that event. (Ones I can think of: Yui's maiden name, and probably SEELE being uploaded into monoliths, unless that somehow happened later, but that seems unlikely.) I mean, I could posit that Kaworu actually went back in time to before Second Impact and was interred with the others for a while, and that led to small changes, but that's getting into the kind of baseless-speculation territory that Koritsuyuutsu's theory largely avoids.

Getting into the details of how such an incorporation might work: odd thought here, but maybe EoTV and EoE are two of the preceding timelines? (I tend to reject the concurrency theory on the grounds that EoTV is pro-Instrumentality and EoE is anti.) Not sure what the third one would be. Also, if we suppose that Kaworu going back in time doesn't reset the timeline, but rather creates a new one, then events would continue to play out after his death. Among other things, this could mean that even if the Koritsuyuutsu theory is correct, the final film will simply document what happens after 4I without addressing the issue at all.

If the continuities are unrelated, I have to wonder about the usually-cited visual cues in 1.11. Sure, it's nothing conclusive, but surely the writers knew how it would be interpreted. Of course, it's entirely possible that the sequel interpretation was planned during 1.11, but abandoned further down the line.

Another thing: I just don't understand why somebody would do a reboot that involves the story being part of a time loop, and then not use that to incorporate the original work. It seems redundant.

On the topic of the Adams: I initially thought that the differences between them were simply due to the glow obscuring things, but then I saw this image, which is much clearer. Now, to me, those different markings look like wounds. Perhaps they indicate how the different instances of Kaworu died? Of course, it's unclear where all the extra Longinus Spears came from. Unless...did one or both of the Spears go into the Chamber of Guf during 4I? Hm.

Anyway, keep this in mind as part of my premise for the remainder of the post.

IV. On Eva/Angel identities.

I'm positing the following things:

- AAA Wunder is in fact the 11th Angel, i.e. Arael. (Note the feathered wings.)
- Eva-01 is one of the four Adams. (Based on N3I's resemblance to 2I.)
- Mark.06 is one of the four Adams. (Based on its appearance while under construction, and Gendo's comments about it being intended as the "true" Eva.)
- Eva-13 is one of the four Adams. (This one's pretty much outright confirmed, by Mari, also confirming that building an Eva out of one of the Adams is even possible.)
- Eva-13 contains no soul, which is why it lacks an AT field. (It's not like Nerv appears to have had anyone around to dump into the core, either.)

I'm not sure where the last Adam is. It could be Mark.09, although its unusual title of "Vessel of Adam(s)" might make that unlikely. (More on the Vessel below.) Could have been reduced into the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, or turned into Kaworu.

Concerning the Vessel of Adam(s): I think I may understand some of what's going on here. Mari indicates that Mark.09 will transform into the Vessel. Around the same time, Kaworu states that he's been "cast down" to the 13th Angel. I believe what happened is that the soul or souls of the four Adams were held by Kaworu until 4I, but that they were at that point removed from him and absorbed into Mark.09, somehow. (Contradicting this, though, is that Mark.09's status as the Vessel of Adams is implied to be the work of SEELE, while Kaworu's "demotion" seems to have been an anti-SEELE maneuver by Gendo.) I don't know how this relates to Mark.09's status as the "true master" of Wunder, though.

Also, if Eva-13 and Mark.06 are both Adams, then apparently one Adam consumed another when 13 chomped sort-of-Armisael. Wonder what sort of effects that could have.

V. On Third Impact

I'm going to agree with the ideas put forward by the Theory and Analysis page for N3I (regarding a distinction between N3I and "Actual Third Impact", and the nature of the 12th Angel's attack), as well as a few further concepts:

The Failures of Infinity are the remains of humans in the Tokyo-3 area who were partially uplifted during N3I. Not sure why their heads are in Lilith's chamber -- maybe she was gathering their souls, as in EoE, and that was a side-effect? I'm assuming that N3I only affected the local region before being halted by the Spear of Cassius, and that Lilith's position indicates that the FoI were created prior to A3I. Something different likely happened to the humans wiped out by A3I.

VI. Conclusion.

I think that's about it, for the most part. I apologize if any of this seems disorganized, or if I seem to have folded in some semi-irrelevant thoughts -- I wanted to get everything I was thinking about 3.33 down on paper, and a lot of these ideas are connected in non-linear ways that make writing them down in a coherent order difficult. I'm pretty sure I missed some things, too, so I may amend this post if I think of them.

EDIT: Ah, yes. Gendo talks about killing God. Is he...are they planning to attack the FAR? I mean, that is what "God" means in this context, right? That seems...exceedingly suicidal, even ignoring the fact that the FAR are probably all dead/reincarnated as humans/Angels/whatever else they have on other planets.

The one thing I'm sure about in all of this is that Awakened Eva-13 is fucking gorgeous. We need more all-white Evas with four arms and shoulder-horns. Oh, and that this franchise is unreasonably complicated. I mean, seriously, what did I even just write?
Fan of: Brandon Sanderson, SnK, the Elder Scrolls, Freespace, and Mass Effect.

Showing flashes of bravado
In a torrent of destruction
I AM THE WALRUS
COO-COO-CA-CHOO

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: ...let's talk about 3.33.

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 am

I really hope FINAL comes out and it's just the NTE version on episodes 25 & 26. we'll never hear the end of it.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:34 pm

View Original PostKestrellius wrote:I. Context.EDIT: Ah, yes. Gendo talks about killing God. Is he...are they planning to attack the FAR? I mean, that is what "God" means in this context, right? That seems...exceedingly suicidal, even ignoring the fact that the FAR are probably all dead/reincarnated as humans/Angels/whatever else they have on other planets.

My theory is that the FAR are all impact-beings like GNR, and they do the whole moon/seed of life/impact program on all worlds across the millennia because it's how their species reproduces. After eons and eons of reproducing the old-fashioned way, they became so jaded that they put two moons on a single planet just to see what would happen. It would kind of be their version of kinky sex.
[Redacted]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:03 pm

View Original PostKestrellius wrote:WILLE (I don't know how that's pronounced, although I'm assuming it's something other than "willy"; even by anime naming standards, that would just be stupid)

From the hours after 3.0's theatrical release
View Original PostReichu wrote:Katakana is VI-RE, so Will-e is pronounced like the German word it ultimately is.

which is to say, much like "villa".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:26 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:My theory is that the FAR are all impact-beings like GNR, and they do the whole moon/seed of life/impact program on all worlds across the millennia because it's how their species reproduces.

One of the things we actually do know about the FAR is that their homeworld was doomed, and this prompted the whole "upload souls into Moon to be later reborn via Seed on another planet" project. One of the stickied threads in Discussion covers this information.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:35 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:One of the things we actually do know about the FAR
I don't think we yet have a game with Classified Information to fill in the gaps in the Rebuilds; and at this point I would say that relying on series continuity to fill out the films has been proven unreliable in the past.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:41 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:at this point I would say that relying on series continuity to fill out the films has been proven unreliable in the past.

With FAR being something that has absolutely zero basis in the new films, IronEvangelion could only be basing his ideas upon their existence in NGE. And since his ideas are blatantly contracted, I felt that worth pointing out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kestrellius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kestrellius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I've never liked the idea of the doomed FAR, both because it's less interesting than them being around and having some other motive, and because I really can't think of any sort of natural disaster that could threaten a species of GNRs. Besides...like...universal collapse. Which obviously wasn't the issue.

I AM THE WALRUS
COO-COO-CA-CHOO

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:37 pm

To quote Lexx, everything dies eventually
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 pm

View Original PostKestrellius wrote:I really can't think of any sort of natural disaster that could threaten a species of GNRs.

Not sure where you're getting a "species of GNRs" from. GNR was a product of two Seeds combining (something that wasn't supposed to happen but did anyway). The Seeds themselves are entities that the FAR created to guarantee their long-term survival, indicating that the Seeds were required for the FAR to survive. The FAR were clearly not "gods" in any way beyond being the ultimate creators of all humanity that followed (which the Classified Information more or less says). In all likelihood, they were a limited species whose power came exclusively from technology.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:57 pm

View Original PostKestrellius wrote:EDIT: Ah, yes. Gendo talks about killing God. Is he...are they planning to attack the FAR? I mean, that is what "God" means in this context, right? That seems...exceedingly suicidal, even ignoring the fact that the FAR are probably all dead/reincarnated as humans/Angels/whatever else they have on other planets.

Misato also says Wunder has the power to kill God. When Gendo and Seele use it, it sounds like "God" could be metaphorical , but a warship like Wunder isn't built to do things metaphorically. Perhaps God is the strange object residing in Guf-space? It does appear to have a halo, and so far only living things have produced those.

Reichu wrote: With FAR being something that has absolutely zero basis in the new films, IronEvangelion could only be basing his ideas upon their existence in NGE. And since his ideas are blatantly contracted, I felt that worth pointing out.

No mention of the FAR yet, but it is curious that Seele have boosted into the role of "ancient progenitor beings" instead.

On the subject of the Adams, I've been wondering if they could have come from some other world and weren't supposed to be on Earth at all. It's really easy to assume that they're connected to the Angels thanks to the original Adam, but there's not even an implied connection so far. They aren't referred to as Angels and they aren't numbered like Angels. There's been no mention of a White Moon, but the Adams are linked to the Wunder, which appears to have been a flying craft of some kind even before Wille got it.

Gendo makes mention of apocrypha to the Dead Sea Scrolls when they see Mark.06 for the first time. Maybe the Adams weren't originally part of the Covenant and Seele amended them in once they were discovered on Earth?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:07 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:No mention of the FAR yet, but it is curious that Seele have boosted into the role of "ancient progenitor beings" instead.

Whatever they are, I don't get the impression that they're in any way equivalent to the FAR. Their creative influence seems to be on Lilin alone (though how a bunch of immobile core-slabs meaningfully affected Homo sapiens... I dunno, fanwank something), while Lilith and the Adams are higher beings they are struggling to understand and control, much as in NGE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:16 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:One of the things we actually do know about the FAR is that their homeworld was doomed, and this prompted the whole "upload souls into Moon to be later reborn via Seed on another planet" project. One of the stickied threads in Discussion covers this information.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you.
[Redacted]

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:25 pm

I don't think they are either, I just thought it was an interesting development. Seele never show the ability to create Adam/Lilith-like beings whole cloth, and if they were on the FAR's level, they surely wouldn't have had so much trouble getting a working S2 Engine/Fruit of Life.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Kestrellius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kestrellius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Not sure where you're getting a "species of GNRs" from. GNR was a product of two Seeds combining (something that wasn't supposed to happen but did anyway). The Seeds themselves are entities that the FAR created to guarantee their long-term survival, indicating that the Seeds were required for the FAR to survive. The FAR were clearly not "gods" in any way beyond being the ultimate creators of all humanity that followed (which the Classified Information more or less says). In all likelihood, they were a limited species whose power came exclusively from technology.

The interpretation that I'd more or less been going with was that the FAR were entities that possessed both the Fruit of Knowledge and the Fruit of Life -- "Eva-01 has both, and so, becomes God". This implies they'd either have been GNRs or souped-up Evas. Then they sort of...split up their nature into the Seeds of Life. I don't really see where you've gotten the idea that this stuff is all purely technological rather than natural, but I haven't examined the Classified Information that closely.

Regardless, though, this is all stuff they had access to, whether it was part of their biology or something they created. They have super-solenoid engines that gleefully violate the law of conservation, and AT fields that break physics into little bitty pieces. No matter how you look at it, First Ancestral Race is OP. An environmental disaster isn't going to bother something like that. Even a supernova would probably be trivial.

I AM THE WALRUS
COO-COO-CA-CHOO

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:47 pm

View Original PostKestrellius wrote:The interpretation that I'd more or less been going with was that the FAR were entities that possessed both the Fruit of Knowledge and the Fruit of Life

This is a common fanon, but it doesn't really have any basis in what we're actually told about the FAR. If they had both fruits, every single FAR individual would have been a being akin to Eva-01 and capable of leaving their world just by flying through the atmosphere and off into space. This clearly isn't what happened.

And if you haven't even examined the CI that closely, you're admitting you're barely familiar with 1/2 of the only information source on them. Helps to know what's actually known before speculating, isn't it? (Incidentally, the technology thing is... from the Classified Information.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kestrellius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kestrellius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:And if you haven't even examined the CI that closely, you're admitting you're barely familiar with 1/2 of the only information source on them. Helps to know what's actually known before speculating, isn't it? (Incidentally, the technology thing is... from the Classified Information.)

Calm down. You don't need to be a jerk. Anyway, I'm not "barely familiar" with it, I'm just not as familiar as I could be. I'll go review the thread concerning the CI in a moment.

My point is, if they have the capacity to build Seeds of Life, then they have the capacity to just fly off their planet anyway -- that is, Eva-01 is something they created, albeit indirectly. It, like everything else, is a result of their technology, which means it's something they could do.

But that makes me think -- that's pretty much what they did, isn't it? They just left. We see it as a catastrophic event where they had to basically kill themselves and recompile their souls into the Seeds of Life, but maybe it's just not that big a deal to them.

EDIT: Alright, I took a look at the Kaworu's ending thread and the classified information. I apologize; I'd conflated them a bit. However, I had read the CI originally. One thing of note is that the CI pretty much outright contradicts what the SoL in Kaworu's ending says -- it claims that enough Seeds were sent out that eventually two accidentally landed on the same planet, which given the size of the universe, is going to be...a lot more than seven. Of course, if there were only seven and Lilith landed in the wrong place due to intent, it's not like SEELE or whoever wrote the CI would know that.

Anyway, yes, it contains the following line:

Within a carrier known as a "Moon", the First Ancestral Race fabricated a perfect cavity (also referred to as a "Moon"), at which point the Seed, or "Progenitor Entity", would be placed inside and sent out into space. That was their technology, and, from the perspective of Angels, humans, and others, they might be called gods.

First of all, you seem to have this belief that if the power of the FAR came from technology, that makes them somehow less powerful or less godlike? Doesn't matter where the power comes from; power is power.

The CI seems to be stating that the Moons, or the ability to fabricate them, were FAR technology. Makes sense. It's easy enough to make the case that the Seeds of Life would be considered "FAR technology", too, although given the phrasing, I think the emphasis is on the fact that the Seeds of Life are associated with the FAR, rather than the idea that they were artificially created.

Are you saying that the FAR manufactured the Fruits of Knowledge and Life, rather than them being natural? That's fair, I suppose, although I don't see much to suggest it. However, if they did, why wouldn't they immediately "eat" from them? (Also, by all appearances, they'd need to have the Fruit of Knowledge to create technology in the first place.)

Basically, whether they were born with all this power or created it through technology, it's power that they had access to. They may not have been GNR-types, but they at least must have had the capacity to create them and assimilate their souls into them, which in practical terms means pretty much the same thing: anything that couldn't hurt a GNR-type couldn't hurt the FAR.

Essentially you seem (AFAICT; I could be wrong) to be making this weird argument that what happened on Earth was beyond the abilities of FAR, which doesn't make any sense because it all resulted from FAR tech.

Also: I'm sorry, are we discussing something mutually interesting, here, or trying to prove that we're smarter than everyone else? If you want to be a dick for no reason, you can do it somewhere other than my thread.

I AM THE WALRUS
COO-COO-CA-CHOO

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”