Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:05 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:^
I think you need some more iyashikeiin your life.

Oh, you misunderstand Tines, I wasn't implying that suffering is the ONLY aspect of life, like Stillborn is insinuating.

I was merely stating that suffering leads to growth, which iyashikei is the following step.

From suffering, healing comes. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:24 pm

In Eva from suffering comes insanity and more suffering. There is no healing. Just some wague "maybe". It's kind of like seeing a rape victim and saying that her situation is hopeful cause rapist didn't kill her (Said rapist is still on the lose and goes away scot-free).

Kinda like those Saw or Hostel movies where one person survives traumatised, but the bad guys and all the shit just keeps going on. (That survivor often dies in next installment). Eva has the same vibe.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:27 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Ah, but the speculation for Mark.06 is endless. When and how was it made autonomous? Was there a Dummy Plug installed? Was that how the Angel infiltrated it in the first place? Did Gendo lure Seele into sending the Mark.06 to Nerv so that Gendo could sabotage it with an Angel-infested Dummy Plug? Or did the Angel infect the autonomous Mark.06 during a sortie, and then proceeded to head straight to Lilith's chamber? Where was Kaworu during this time? Mark.06 might be the most interesting of the Evangelions in the NTE series, simply because there's so many questions and so little answers surrounding it.

Mark.06 might have already had an autonomous mode built into like its successor Mark.09 did. All of the Mark-series Evas can operate independently without a pilot in some fashion.

I think rather than being Seele's god, Mark.06 was intended as a tool and support unit to aid the awakening of an Eva that followed, that Eva being the Preview Unit 08. Gendo and Fuyutsuki already suspect that Seele has plans beyond Mark.06, and Mark.06 isn't really suited to Seele's grand designs since it's a single occupant unit.

3.0 sweeps these two under the rug, gives us an unrelated Unit 08 and passes the plot baton off to Mark.09 and Unit 13, but I get the impression that Eva 13 is Seele's back-up plan and not what they originally planned to do. It doesn't make sense for them to talk about the promised hour being at hand and start moving their pieces into place in 2.0 if the culmination was still 14 years down the road. Perhaps that other Eva did still exist as Unit 07 (or one of the other missing numbers) but was lost or destroyed by Wille before it could be used, which could explain the delay.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 am

My little sister and I are starting an Evangelion rewatch together! You aren't going to believe this though I said "So do you want to watch rebuild after TV and EoE?" and she said "well ... maybe the first two but you can watch three on your own." I said "Well aren't you going to see four?" and she just replied "Yeah, but I have no desire to watch three again." I tried to convince her to just give it one more shot at least so she could be ready for four or maybe give it a fair shake besides our quick first viewing and she seems adamant! I'll let you know how I feel at least afterwards.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:27 pm

^ Your little sister is truly wise beyond her years.

I recently found myself with multiple opportunities to take another look at 3.33 on BluRay, but just couldn't subject myself to that level of torture again.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:07 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:I recently found myself with multiple opportunities to take another look at 3.33 on BluRay, but just couldn't subject myself to that level of torture again.

Wuss.

(Though I will admit that I need to be in a pretty specific mood before I re-watch Eva Q. But that's also true for NGE, so... :tongue: )

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:^ Your little sister is truly wise beyond her years.

I recently found myself with multiple opportunities to take another look at 3.33 on BluRay, but just couldn't subject myself to that level of torture again.

It's so nice to see individuals that are the polar opposite of others who literally treat Q as the second coming of Christ.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 am

While i wouldn't go that far, I, and I assume many others here consider it one of Anno's best
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:It's so nice to see individuals that are the polar opposite of others who literally treat Q as the second coming of Christ.

I have yet to see anyone anywhere do that. Perhaps you mean something other than "literally"?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Even figuratively, it doesn't really work. Just how much of our user base would consider the Second Coming of Christ a good thing? Well less than half? :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Well, I would consider the Second Coming of Christ a good thing, but I don't really subscribe to the Scripturally baseless "Rapture + 7 Year Tribulation" hypotheses or ideologies, so my idea of it isn't "DEATH TO THE HEATHENS! MWA-HAHA!!!" It's more like "Hey, Jeez. What up?" "I AM."

...Which, Eva Q is certainly no "I AM." It's simply a movie that I like.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:51 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I have yet to see anyone anywhere do that. Perhaps you mean something other than "literally"?

Treat but not say, calling it a "flawless masterpiece" (which users HAVE said) it putting it on a close enough pedestal.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:00 pm

I do recall Bagheera calling Q a masterpiece, but i don't recall him calling it flawless
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:36 pm

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:My little sister and I are starting an Evangelion rewatch together! You aren't going to believe this though I said "So do you want to watch rebuild after TV and EoE?" and she said "well ... maybe the first two but you can watch three on your own." I said "Well aren't you going to see four?" and she just replied "Yeah, but I have no desire to watch three again." I tried to convince her to just give it one more shot at least so she could be ready for four or maybe give it a fair shake besides our quick first viewing and she seems adamant! I'll let you know how I feel at least afterwards.

Ignore the peasent below your post and keep trying your best!

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:08 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I do recall Bagheera calling Q a masterpiece, but i don't recall him calling it flawless

I never said Bagheera did.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Searching for the word "flawless" in the Rebuild forum reveals that multiple people have described the background music or the CGI as "flawless" or "nearly flawless". One described the script as "nearly flawless", and the term has also been used of Anno's "execution" of his ideas. I haven't found any instance of the film as a whole being described using that word, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:33 pm

In any case, Ian might be less thirsty for highly polarized negativity if he was slightly more attentive to the range expressed in the positive-scale opinions. They are not monolithic and shouldn't be hyperbolized as such. People can like the same thing for a lot of different reasons. Same for disliking or being indifferent. People are different! It seems really obvious, but, well, the human brain is a juggernaut of generalization and must be constantly kept in check.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:58 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:if he was slightly more attentive to the range expressed in the positive-scale opinions. They are not monolithic and shouldn't be hyperbolized as such.

It goes back to an argument a while ago with Bags on the general reaction to the movie. I don't see a lot of "It was okay" or "it was pretty good". It's generally either "it's shit" or "it's the best" with the former I don't really see on here. Discussions tend to focus on people possibly not understanding the film and that must be the reason for the polarizing reaction outside of here. It's perfectly possible to understand a movie and still not like it, however all the major criticisms against the movie tend to be shut down immediately with "well that's not the point" or "looking to far into it". CinemaSins would have an absolute field day with Q if he made an Everything Wrong With video for it, granted it's his job to nitpick movies but it would at least show that the movie has some pretty noticeable flaws that shouldn't just be ignored for the sake of story direction.

Also, the variations of claiming that "It's true Eva" or "It's classic Eva" just bugs the living shit out of me. Was the first half of NGE not true? Is Eva only Eva if it's dark, moody, and depressing? I get it's an important part but Q only works because of how Ha was and I don't know if people are getting that or not considering it seems like the dislike for Ha on here hasn't settled all that much. Maybe I suffered from the hype train a bit before Q came out, maybe my expectations were just too high, I don't know, but for a movie that is supposedly so polarizing all over the internet, I would expect a bit more skepticism of it considering everyone says how Ha was so vehemently hated on here.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:41 pm

You seem to be overly concerned with what other people think about the film(s). Does it actually matter that much? I understand that it's easy to feel alienated from others because differing opinions and ideas turn into a seemingly unbridgeable psychological chasm. I think almost everyone knows that feeling. Your brain really is your greatest enemy sometimes, and will typically frame the information you collect on "what other people think" in a way that confirms preexisting biases or otherwise makes you feel as lonely and shitty as possible. At the end of the day, the "me/us vs. them" mentality is restrictive and toxic, and we all have to fight it as best as we can.

Are you looking for certain kinds of conversations that aren't happening? Just acknowledgment that your opinions exist, too? Flaws are absolutely a thing. Most people who really love something will recognize that they exist, and accept the bad with the good -- I think that's what qualifies someone as being a "true fan", if anything can possibly be. But, well, everyone is going to have their own opinion on the subject of what works and what doesn't. People will disagree with you just as you disagree with them. Is this a problem? If they act like smug know-it-alls, maybe. Most of us are probably just here to have fun and don't care about being absolutely right or wrong.

About the "Q = true Eva" thing, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. In the abstract, the film can be considered to embody "quintessential Eva-ness", i.e., it possesses the end-series qualities that made NGE (in)famous. (Of course these qualities have more power because of the contrast with what came in the series' first half. No denying that, but it's generally beside the point of what the "true/classic Eva" sentiment is trying to communicate.) Perhaps more importantly, it confirmed for any number of viewers who were having doubts as of 2.0 that Anno's "still got it", that the spirit of the original work hadn't been left behind and he still has interesting things to say.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:20 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I do recall Bagheera calling Q a masterpiece, but i don't recall him calling it flawless

I don't recall saying that, but I guess it's possible. Still, though, anyone who thinks I consider Q flawless hasn't been paying attention to my posts on the topic. When it first premiered I was tossing around terms like "idiot ball" with abandon, and was fairly critical of the movie's relentless Shinji-centric focus. But then I realized that that was the point of the exercise, and that I should judge the movie based on how well it met its goals rather than on how well it delivered what I want in an Evangelion film.

Ian (and others) need to learn that calling out bullshit criticism that amounts to "I don't like it" is not the same thing as lionizing or even defending the film. It's just us saying those arguments suck and that Q's critics need to come up with something more substantive if they expect anyone with critical thinking skills to take them seriously. It's like going into Aliens saying, "xenomorphs are dumb, so Aliens sucks." That's exactly the level of criticism we're dealing with here, and it just doesn't work. There is no world in which pointing that out amounts to "Aliens is the second coming of Christ and an utterly flawless masterpiece!" It doesn't say anything at all about the movie, really, just that the quality of the criticism being directed towards it is poor.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”