Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:57 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Lol, another fun fact is that people outside Evageeks love 2.22 while in here most members didn't like it.

Well I got into Evangelion after seeing 2.22 about 4 years ago. Picked up 1.11 and 2.22 because they looked cool, loved the shit out of it and rewatched them about 5 times over two weeks. Still love 2.22, no idea how many times I've seen it now.

I think my favorite part of 3.33 was the intro scene, it's one of the few scenes in anime where the 3D actually looks nice.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:02 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Could you go into detail into how Q changed your view of Jo?

In Jo, Misato learns to place her trust inside the pilot of Unit 01.
In Q, Misato tells Shinji that he will do nothing.

That whole scene in Jo where Misato tells Gendo that they should trust Shinji was written specifically so that Anno could turn that around on its head in Eva Q. In fact, both Jo and Ha have scenes that are turned on their head in Eva Q . At the end of Ha, Rei says that she'll make sure that Shinji doesn't have to pilot Unit 01 anymore. Whether it all worked out exactly as she had planned is actually a preposterous question to ask (she didn't intend to be devoured by and Angel), but it did result in Shinji not piloting Unit 01, just as she had said.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:49 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Well... It WAS 90 minutes of inane fan pandering. Just for the fans that enjoy Shinji suffering ^_^

I'm 90% positive you lack the fundamental understanding of actual fan pandering.
Last edited by WunderBah on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:37 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Going back and reading the threads after all this time, when the emotional charge has drained away, doesn't really give a fair representation of how it felt at the time, but for a sampler, these are the most concentrated containment threads --

thread/11561/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-1/
thread/7773/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-2/
thread/6969/How-are-you-liking-Rebuild-so-far-ITT-We-tag-Spoilers/20/

but also things like

thread/11925/20-Asukas-treatment-in-movie-Cringe-inducing/
thread/6339/Shikinami-Asuka-Langley/
thread/8871/So-I-heard-a-lot-of-folks-didnt-like-Mari/

Wew lad, I'm only on the second Rebuild Quality Debate thread and this is gold mine of laughs.

It's also pretty funny seeing posts making statements shouted as facts about Q before Q actually came out and pulled the rug from underneath everyone.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:48 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:And that being?

A 90s mecha-post-apocalyptic anime show. Simply as that.

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Well I got into Evangelion after seeing 2.22 about 4 years ago. Picked up 1.11 and 2.22 because they looked cool, loved the shit out of it and rewatched them about 5 times over two weeks. Still love 2.22, no idea how many times I've seen it now.

I think my favorite part of 3.33 was the intro scene, it's one of the few scenes in anime where the 3D actually looks nice.

So, does this means that you like 2.22 more than 3.33?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 am

I remember so much of the hate on here surrounding 2.0 was that it wasn't Asuka: The Movie.

I also remember a lot of people saying they felt it was "too haremy" (not a word) & that it felt like an absolute betrayal of what Eva was in the first place. People said it was too jokey, it was too loaded with fan-service, etc etc and seemed to completely forget that for a good 8 to 9 episodes NGE was very jokey - "Let's get our two Evas to dance so we'll wear matching leotards - and that after the fun ending it was a very different show.

And of course everything that was fun & jovial in 2.0 was taken away in the third film. Does 3.0 even have what you could call a joke?

*And I feel each of the Rebuild films will be hated by different people for different reasons. Some hate 1.0 for being too close to the show. Some hate 2.0 for being too easy to watch & fan friendly. Some hate 3.0 for not being the Eva they remember even though it really is only far more concentrated. And some will hate Final for either not being as much of a status quo changer as 3.0 was or will hate for letting Shinji have a happy ending.

Shrugs. It's art. It never works for everybody.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:17 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Does 3.0 even have what you could call a joke?

Not unless you count that flimsy excuse for a plot...

Slow pitched softball, right over the middle of the plate.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Slow applause.

I appreciate good snark. Even misguided snark.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:35 pm

Depends on exactly how camp we're intended to find Kaworu
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Um.........wut?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:52 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Um.........wut?

During the screening of Q they showed at comic con, given how grim the rest of the film was, the audience burst out laughing at how "Homo" Kaworu was acting towards Shinji.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:54 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:During the screening of Q they showed at comic con, given how grim the rest of the film was, the audience burst out laughing at how "Homo" Kaworu was acting towards Shinji.

That was my experience at Otakon as well. People were laughing out loud during that scene (particularly when the horses showed up).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Was anything like that reported in Japan? Well then, all it tells us is something about Western otakus.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:08 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Was anything like that reported in Japan? Well then, all it tells us is something about Western otakus.

Several reviews early on in its release noticed small snickering from the viewers, but nothing like howling hyenas here in the US.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that reports of laughter were related merely to the scenes that feature Kaworu. IMO the whole movie is just trying way too hard to be so relentlessly dark that it ends up short-circuiting a fair amount of the gravitas it was supposedly aiming for.

So many people try to compare its tone to End of Evangelion. Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. In the few screenings I've sat in on where people were watching EoE, it's so serious and engrossing you can practically hear a pin drop. In comparison, Q practically drifts into MST3K territory.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:51 pm

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:So many people try to compare its tone to End of Evangelion. Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. In the few screenings I've sat in on where people were watching EoE, it's so serious and engrossing you can practically hear a pin drop. In comparison, Q practically drifts into MST3K territory.

I don't think anybody sensible is trying to compare it to EoE regardless of whether they liked Q or not. It's clearly supposed to be mirror to 21-24 in terms of atmosphere which also didn't seem to have any light moments from a quick recall. There was still a bunch of information in those episodes that were left out before the infodump we got in EoE that answered them, it seems that's the approach we're getting with Q and FINAL.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:05 pm

The horses were a little over the top, IMO.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:13 pm

When you're watching a movie as grim as 3.33, a moment that isn't all about despair, rejection, and depression is treated like water in a desert.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:41 pm

The horses are goofy. Even as someone who views 3.0 to be pretty close to a masterpiece, I'll always find that to be a mark against the film.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:44 pm

I get what the horses were trying to do, within terms of tone and stuff, but since there was no visual precedents for the horses in the other films it kinda comes out of nowhere and, yeah, is a little weird. It's a mark against the film but only the smallest of marks. By the time the music montage is over I've usually forgotten that it happened.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”