Pilot ages

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Pilot ages

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:35 am

Okay, so as we all know, in NGE pilots are around 13-15 years old since the Eva's need someone who's both genetically and personally close to the soul emended in the Eva's core (or at least, that's the implication). Thy're young enough to still require a parents love, and old enough to make tactical decisions in combat. But of course, the Eva's of NTE (save for Unit 01 (sort of) are following new rules, best seen with Asuka and Mari swapping their Eva's with ease without a hint of mother soul-in-core shenanigans. So, any ideas as to why the pilots must be so young in these new films?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Pilot ages

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Curse of Eva, sequel theory is what I've been going with

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Curse of Eva explains why the pilots don't age, not why they need to be children.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:06 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:But of course, the Eva's of NTE (save for Unit 01 (sort of) are following new rules, best seen with Asuka and Mari swapping their Eva's with ease without a hint of mother soul-in-core shenanigans. So, any ideas as to why the pilots must be so young in these new films?

Keep in mind that the core in Eva-02 was removed before Mari got into it, and we do not know whether or not it was that same core that was replaced. Considering that instance as a murky and rather ambiguous example and that it is the only time we see two people swap Eva units, it would seem to me that it isn't the best example to use to ask why the ages of the pilots matter. It does raise a host of other questions related to whether or not mothers are necessary, but doesn't seem to address the issue of pilot age.

In NGE, as you said, we that the pilots have to be teenagers (but no further reason in-show is given.) As to why they have to be the age that they are in NTE, I don't believe there's been any hint in any of the films as to why this is. Fanwank away!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Two things i should note here:

1. In Jo, the scene in which Unit 01 lifts its hand to protect Shinji is removed, implying that Yui has significantly less influence over the Eva to the point that the Berserker we see later actually seems to be caused by Shinji (albeit subconsciously)

2. Asuka in Q shows much less attachment to her Eva. I imagine after 14 years she'd know all she needed as to how it worked, if there was a case of Mother-in-core, i imagine she would've said "sorry mama" instead of "sorry Unit 02"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:28 pm

I've been watching NTE with the idea that Yui is the control system for Unit 01, and was then cloned/copied to the various Eva units as needed. The core is never specified as being the same as the "Control System" for Eva as of yet, so any core swapping seen in Eva Ha probably doesn't interfere with that control system.

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:46 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I've been watching NTE with the idea that Yui is the control system for Unit 01, and was then cloned/copied to the various Eva units as needed. The core is never specified as being the same as the "Control System" for Eva as of yet, so any core swapping seen in Eva Ha probably doesn't interfere with that control system.

Why would there be a need for Mari to swap out Unit 02's core then?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:54 pm

^ I'm not sure. We're not given the core's functions, we're only told that other things (Mark.09) can be made out of them.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 pm

My theory is that piloting an Eva for the first time requires a 'burn-in' process where the human brain forms the neural pathways necessary to connect it to the Eva's brain. Since the brain of a person in their early teens is still forming new connections on a regular basis, it's the oldest possible age group where the connections can still be formed. Trying to sync an adult to an Eva for the first time would kill them by frying their neurons, and children are too unreliable as pilots due to their underdeveloped brains. This theory would also explain why a pilot's first sync is far more difficult than subsequent syncs.
[Redacted]

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:My theory is that piloting an Eva for the first time requires a 'burn-in' process where the human brain forms the neural pathways necessary to connect it to the Eva's brain. Since the brain of a person in their early teens is still forming new connections on a regular basis, it's the oldest possible age group where the connections can still be formed. Trying to sync an adult to an Eva for the first time would kill them by frying their neurons, and children are too unreliable as pilots due to their underdeveloped brains. This theory would also explain why a pilot's first sync is far more difficult than subsequent syncs.

I fully endorse this theory.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:43 pm

I'd like to see the results of that theory put into practice in Final, perhaps on a headstrong Gendo whose plans don't come exactly to fruition. Granted I feel a rational Gendo wouldn't make such a mistake, but it'd be a decently fitting end considering his manipulations.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:05 pm

View Original PostEliaskar wrote:Why would there be a need for Mari to swap out Unit 02's core then?

It seemed like they were just putting Unit 02's core back in. There's some chatter about the core reconfiguration process in the background, like Ritsuko wanted to do for Rei and Unit 01 in 1.0.

I'm curious what would happen if an adult tried to pilot one of the NTE Eva Units. All that stuff about the Marduk Institute and pilot selection has been cut out, so is it 14 year olds in general or those five specifcally? :chinscratch:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Perhaps there's a qualification, a new form, that we have yet to be introduced to.

2.22 made it clear that Shinji's classmates were simply regular teenagers, i.e. Tohji not being selected.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Well, it's not age, as in Q the pilots are 28 or more. But maybe the "curse of Eva" plays into this, and is maintaining whatever property is required of the pilots in the necessary condition. Perhaps the Evas are driven by moe...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:22 pm

View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex wrote:2.22 made it clear that Shinji's classmates were simply regular teenagers, i.e. Tohji not being selected.

Toji's shirt in Neo-Nerv HQ in Q suggests that maybe he was recruited later on during the timeskip, and may very possibly be dead by the time of the film's events, though neither of those points can be proven conclusively yet.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Doesn't mean he was a pilot though - there are (were...) plenty of other jobs.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:28 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Doesn't mean he was a pilot though - there are (were...) plenty of other jobs.

Agreed. Though when considering the rest of the callbacks to EoE and the latter parts of the series, I think it's a fairly safe assumption that his role would be similar as well. Nothing concrete though, yes.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:35 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Toji's shirt in Neo-Nerv HQ in Q suggests that maybe he was recruited later on during the timeskip, and may very possibly be dead by the time of the film's events, though neither of those points can be proven conclusively yet.

I've been trying to place a finger on that plot tidbit and you've given me a feasible morsel. Makes sense, I'll run with it. Thanks!
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:36 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, it's not age, as in Q the pilots are 28 or more.
Actually it still fits with my theory since they all had their first sync as young teens. An adult could still pilot an Eva if they had done so as a young teen since they would still have the necessary neural pathways necessary for the job. However if you tried to do the initial sync with an adult who had no prior experience, their neurons would be fried. The curse of Eva is interesting, though. Maybe the purpose of it (besides selling merchandise) is the Eva's way of forming a symbiotic relationship with the pilot and keeping them in ideal condition, ensuring the two could work together indefinitely. Or maybe NERV and WILLE spiked their LCL to achieve the same ends. It would make a lot of sense to keep your pilots from aging since they're such a rare commodity, especially so for experienced pilots like Mari and Asuka.
[Redacted]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:39 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Though when considering the rest of the callbacks to EoE and the latter parts of the series, I think it's a fairly safe assumption that his role would be similar as well.

That too - which is why I did actually make him a pilot (for a short time only) in my fic.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”