You know what Q reminds me of?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: You know what Q reminds me of?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:Q reminds me of a colonoscopy :huh: :huh:

Epic bump.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Epic bump.

Why? The OP states what Q reminds him of, and I say what Q reminds me of.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Typically, threads should be bumped if you have something useful to contribute. I'm thinking something with potential to prompt further conversation. What you've provided is not useful -- it only highlights how directionless the thread was in the first place and makes a good argument for locking the damned thing. It would have been better to simply leave it alone. Please keep this in mind when considering a bump.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:26 pm

It seems a rather spot on comparison to me, honestly. Everything about Q gave me the sensation of receiving a rough colonoscopy.

Frankly, the whole thing reminds me of an uncomfortable fever dream, and not in a good way. The tonal shift, thematic shift, character shift...just everything, was so stark, that it prevented me from being able to emotionally connect in any way other than confusion and frustration. Perhaps that was done to emphasize the isolation of Shinji, but it doesn't seem a good plan if it isolates the viewer as well.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Unlike Carkolum (or the OP for that matter), you're at least providing an explanation. In other words, actual content.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm with Gob on his explanation, 3.33 did well to create the sense of isolation, confusion, and feeling of being trapped experienced by Shinji, which is brilliant as a story-telling perspective to feel that sense.

However, because of the events leading up to Shinji's fall and the futility of his actions, it has created a sense of me teetering on the edge of "Darkness-induced apathy" towards both the characters and the world in a sense. Final has some pretty big shoes to fill to rid that taste out of my mouth. :um:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 pm

So since I liked Q... quite a bit... my first colonoscopy better be smooth and satisfying. If it isn't, I'm holding you boys accountable.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:39 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote: Perhaps that was done to emphasize the isolation of Shinji, but it doesn't seem a good plan if it isolates the viewer as well.

Not only isolates the viewer, but needlessly confuses him and insults his intelligence.

Reichu wrote:Unlike Carkolum (or the OP for that matter), you're at least providing an explanation

An explanation for what? This is not an explanatory thread where we explain why Q sucks. It's a thread about what Q reminds of to a person, plain simple. If you are not OK with that, lock the thread. I just did a single, tiny joke.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”