Movie inspirations in NTE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
unz
Israfel
Israfel

Movie inspirations in NTE

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:47 am

All I came up with was space odissey, looking at nerv's food and red eyes and giant babies, the other one might be Persona (read of the characters on wiki) but that's stretching things.
I didn't really think of the anime stuff because that's like a metaphor to Anno's life.

I forgot books.

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Do you mean the 3rd movie (Q)? I don't remember noticing Nerv's food or giant babies from the first two.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:49 pm

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:Do you mean the 3rd movie (Q)? I don't remember noticing Nerv's food or giant babies from the first two.

I think he means the new series overall.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:27 am

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:Do you mean the 3rd movie (Q)? I don't remember noticing Nerv's food or giant babies from the first two.

yeah that's Q stuff.

gryzzli86
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gryzzli86 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:21 am

NGE already had a couple scenes that reminded me of similar scenes in 2001, namely the otherwise innocuous shot of Gendo alone in a plane (on his way to Antarctica IIRC) with someone coming up and striking a chat. And far more clearly, the Seele monoliths. Anyways there's already a page on the wiki that deals with exactly that.

As for NTE however, the main things I can think of are Nadia, specifically in Q, and Gunbuster. (I just made a post which I'll probably regret about Nadia references in Q.) A little thing I noticed rewatching 1.0 just now is the shot of Ramiel obliterating the artillery fire, and the shot of the Buster Machines dealing with the billions and billions of aliens in Gunbuster episode 5: there's a kind of sweeping motion with the laser which pans out in a similar way.

SPOILER: Show

“U c, Enobby,” Dumblydore said, watching the two of us watching the flame. “2 c wht iz n da flmes u mst find urslf 1st, k?” - My Immortal, chapter 12

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:48 am

The seele monoliths are kind of disappointing, people like rob ager read a lot into them in 2001 but seele stuff gives away neural systems implying this role a fathers of the current techno dystopia (Japan) or something. :shrugs:
Last edited by unz on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:31 am

Not really sure how either the P3 or P4 games would've inspired the new Eva movies when the P3 game seemed to take inspiration from NGE itself, with some of the characters archetypes and dark atmosphere. Do you mean something in one of the Persona 3 movies that's different from the game?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:18 pm

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_(1966_film)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 pm

OH.

Yes, highly agree he'd take inspiration from that. I wish I could remember which film/film-makers that seemed like he took inspiration from which he admitted he never saw...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm

god almighty it will take days just to find the motivation to watch 1/100 of this ;_;
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Tributes_to_Other_Fiction_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:40 am

View Original Postgryzzli86 wrote:NGE already had a couple scenes that reminded me of similar scenes in 2001, namely the otherwise innocuous shot of Gendo alone in a plane (on his way to Antarctica IIRC) with someone coming up and striking a chat. And far more clearly, the Seele monoliths. Anyways there's already a page on the wiki that deals with exactly that.

As for NTE however, the main things I can think of are Nadia, specifically in Q, and Gunbuster. (I just made a post which I'll probably regret about Nadia references in Q.) A little thing I noticed rewatching 1.0 just now is the shot of Ramiel obliterating the artillery fire, and the shot of the Buster Machines dealing with the billions and billions of aliens in Gunbuster episode 5: there's a kind of sweeping motion with the laser which pans out in a similar way.

SPOILER: Show

I knew that motion looked familiar. It's very similar - then again, Anno directed Gunbuster, right? He must have a thing for that kind of explosion/movement.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

gryzzli86
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gryzzli86 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:08 am

I since heard someone point out, I think it was in a review on Youtube, that that kind of explosion is just the old-school style explosions were drawn in - the reviewers seemed disappointed that they didn't stick with that style in 2.22. But the entire scene was just drawn out in a really similar way, and since Anno did direct Gunbuster it seemed relevant. It may just be a nice little nostalgic callback. ^^
“U c, Enobby,” Dumblydore said, watching the two of us watching the flame. “2 c wht iz n da flmes u mst find urslf 1st, k?” - My Immortal, chapter 12

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”