Funimation: Evangelion 3.33 coming out February 2 2016

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:31 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Yeah, what exactly do these two actually DO during the production of these films?

I'd like to know that myself. There's like 4 directors listed Anno included. Were there certain segments those other guys did for some super secret reason?
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 pm

The easiest way to explain it would probably be to contrast it with Miyazaki.

Miyazaki doesn't really write scripts, he just starts straight on the storyboards which already set up all the shots, the framing, how long each shot lasts, etc. Only after that do things start getting delegated down the chain of command, but even then everything will eventually come back to Miyazaki for final approval before the next step is take and time and effort are potentially wasted. The animation director(who's desk is right beside Miyazaki and shares a shelf) usually delegate down the various cuts to animators. Senior animators might help guide the junior ones, they do their assigned cuts and then it comes back to the animatior director. He either decides on his own if something is unsatisfactory or when it is it goes on Miyazaki's shelf, but eventually every sheet of animation will end up on that shelf. Miyazaki thoroughly goes through all of it and either corrects it himself, gives direction for corrections or occasionally just does the whole thin from scratch himself. Everything goes through that one man before it's scanned and goes for coloring. He'll regularly go to the background and coloring departments to give his approval or direction. There's quite a few of long time department heads but everything goes through him from animation to sound/music/voice. Everything.

That's probably what people think the average director is like, but Miyazaki's approach is far from norm in the industry. It's also why his movies take so long, cost so much and make him say he'll retire after each one. It's incredibly taxing and far from the industry's definition of "efficiency".

By contrast Anno is perfectly fine with letting a lot more people be involved with the decision-making and direction process. He knows his co-directors and they know him so it's quite easy for them to share the duties and in general work as a committee instead. The script is hammered out by multiple people. The storyboards are drawn by multiple people. Imageboards (kinda like elaborate storyboards to explore ideas) are contributed by lots of staff. The layouts, which determine the final framing, are drawn by lots of people. Even before any animation work begins it's not just Anno and his 3 co-directors shaping the film but quite a few other regular staff as well. When work does actually begin the co-directors are there to spread the load of final approval. The Q Groundwork books have thankfull added the "Director Correction" blue sheets and you can occasionally tell with a fair degree of certainty which ones are Tsurumaki because his style is leaking into the sketches. So all of that work of approving tons of 2D animation, and also now the billions of animatics they work through before they settle on 3D animation are done by multiple people. This is what most of the industry is like. Because the majority of the work is weekly TV shows there is always multiple teams working concurrently with co-directors or episode directors steering things collectively to make the deadlines.

It's also interesting to try and figure just what things Anno can personally be bothered with. He doesn't seem to be too fond of drawing humans, he'd much rather get involved with ships, aircraft, and other tech. Also cities and buildings. There's tons of layouts in the 2.0 CRC of the cityscapes all drawn by Anno. There's also a copy pasta from the interview section that constantly gets brought up with respect to Mari that Anno just basically dumped the whole issue onto Tsurumaki and went off to play with toys he likes instead.

Overall, Miyazaki can be said to direct pretty much every second, every pixel of every frame.
Anno on the other hand has a general idea of where he wants to go but it is a co-op game of doing cool stuff with long-time friends to get there and really awesome side-quests aren't rejected even if it derails things.
That's a bit of an exaggeration for both cases, but hopefully a useful one.

A mini note on Mahiro Maeda who was added as a 3rd co-director for Q: He actually has the longest history with Anno out of the 3. He was doing some design work and contributed ideas to Ha but was brought on fully on-board afterwards and looking at Animator Expo seems to be extremely comfy at khara.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:38 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's also interesting to try and figure just what things Anno can personally be bothered with. He doesn't seem to be too fond of drawing humans, he'd much rather get involved with ships, aircraft, and other tech. Also cities and buildings. There's tons of layouts in the 2.0 CRC of the cityscapes all drawn by Anno.

That's a good point. Nearly all the Anno art I've ever seen consists of drawings he did of the Evas, revisions to drawings of Evas, or various mechanical things. I don't think I've ever seen him draw a human!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:40 pm

He has drawn King the Lion cub from Nadia at various conventions from time to time.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Anno's favorite part of Evangelion are the units themselves. One can almost use that information ton read a little "too much" into the whole "comforting womb" aspect of a character being in an Eva, but there it is. He pours his soul into the characters' motivations and situations during the writing process, but will play with the Evas during the animation process.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:24 pm

Manga UK just announced a March 7th release date in the UK for Eva 3.33. Coming in DVD, Blu Ray and a Blu Ray Collectors Edition :)

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Manga_Entertainment_MCM_London_Comic_Con_October_2015_news_round-up.html

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Anyone want to make predictions as to what changes this new dub will have compared to the theatrical version. :think: /changes you want?

Will the script be altered, or it's delivery? :huh:
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 am

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:changes you want?

I'm hoping they include the original audio as a bonus feature.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:33 am

If the original audio was the reason for whole business, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that they would be permitted to make a release that included it. It's not as though it had any significant exposure, unlike, say, the original dub of Akira which is included alongside its replacement in modern editions.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:38 pm

I was wondering, what are the chances of Funimation releasing a second trailer for the Bluray with the newly recorded dialogue?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Why would they spend the money? Everyone's already on the hook after two years of waiting; all those pre-orders rolling in again.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:20 pm

The next time you see a trailer for Eva Q will probably be in the special features menu of the disc.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Manga UK just announced a March 7th release date in the UK for Eva 3.33. Coming in DVD, Blu Ray and a Blu Ray Collectors Edition :)

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Manga_Entertainment_MCM_London_Comic_Con_October_2015_news_round-up.html

Can't seem to find any pre-orders for this collectors edition...only one I can find is the DVD on Amazon :irked:

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:04 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Can't seem to find any pre-orders for this collectors edition...only one I can find is the DVD on Amazon :irked:

Yeah same, they did confirm the other two editions so I'm wondering what the hold up is on them appearing on Amazon. At the same time their own site doesn't seem to have the pre-orders for any of the editions up yet. (At least last time I checked)

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Yeah same, they did confirm the other two editions so I'm wondering what the hold up is on them appearing on Amazon. At the same time their own site doesn't seem to have the pre-orders for any of the editions up yet. (At least last time I checked)

I've checked everywhere that I can think of but I don't see any. I guess they will show up at some point, hopefully. I just want to have it pre-ordered again.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:06 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Hmm, that's a good point, considering their 1.11 and 2.22 releases were separate DVD and BDs. Doesn't make me happy, but eh, no big deal in the end.

BlueBasilisk: Very true, lots of companies are doing combo releases it seems like.

Combo release ? they better not make me pay any more dime, dolar is super high, and it wasnt when i made the purchase.....f them !

Also this is really disapointing, i was expeting them to announce a re dub remaster for the blu ray of the original series, this is really lame, please tell me people wooed them
ANATA BAKA !?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:32 am

At most a combo release might be a dollar or two more then just a BD only release. People got to complain about something I guess.

Anywho, the physical media market has changed drastically since the last two Eva films hit US home video... back in 2010 & 2011.

Time sure does fly.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:45 am

What exactly is in this "combo"? :uhh:
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:34 am

Bluray+DVD together. They also include a digital copy sometimes but I doubt this will have that.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:16 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Bluray+DVD together. They also include a digital copy sometimes but I doubt this will have that.

love you avatar where did you get it ?

on topic, i feel bad for people who preorder got canceled automatically, now they will pay more after all this waiting
ANATA BAKA !?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”