Animal motifs in Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm

^
Bro, you really don't give Space Jesus much credit, do you? No one is Irredeemable, especially after a Heroic Sacrifice.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:16 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I think Mari hs basically taken Shinji's spot as Asuka's quasi-sibling...

Unlike Shinji, who wants to avoid any "enemy-like" sustained imagery, Mari doesn't mind being Asuka's "rival" in a playful way, while Shinji's conflict-evading nature would stop such a thing pretty fast.

He doesn't.... even CAN'T compare....

Mari is, essentially, the half-sister she could't have anywhere else, at least not in a "fast" way... what Shinji might've become under different cicumstances, if his avoidant nature didn't pose a risk to any "friendly" rivalry...

It's the depht of how far Shinji has lost...

I'm not sure Shinji was taking the spot of "half-sibling" or even that his relationship with Asuka was destined to take this turn had Bardiel and the time skip not happened. It looks more like they were heading toward being very good friends like in the manga had Shinji's relationship with Rei continued and none of them discovered about Rei's origins. (or maybe even a romantic relationship, but that's not important)

Besides, Mari has a big advantage that Shinji hasn't: she's a girl, that mean there are things and feelings that Asuka can confide with Mari that should never be able to do with Shinji.
But even then, why would Shinji have "lost"? That's not a competition to have the exclusivity of Asuka's heart, Mari and Shinji can very well be Asuka's friends, albeit with different circumstances (again, Mari is a girl)

But we saw too little of Mari and Asuka interacting (none of these moments being outside of a battle situation context) to really be able to ascertain how deep Mari and Asuka's relationship goes.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 am

This has gone off topic. I'd like to return the subject to the possible animal motifs ( Shinji=puppy, Asuka=cat, etc.) and what they may imply about their role in the story.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Squibs: the pointless thread bumping needs to stop. I've told you once before that that sort of behavior is spammy and has no place here. If the thread dies, let it die.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

Sorry. I won't do it again, I promise (well, I'll try).

Anyway, here's what I think I've noticed about what the animal motifs imply about the characters and their relationships and roles:

Shinji-puppy.
This suggests that Shinji defines himself by his ability (or lack thereof ) to obey and please those whom he is working for, be it NERV or WILLE. His greatest character flaw is that he allows himself to be endlessly manipulated by those in power over him.

Rei (pre-Q)-fish
Like a fish in a bowl, Rei is able to observe the human world around her but is limited in the ways she can interact with it.

Kaworu- horse
The horse, especially the white horse, is an enduring symbol of freedom and beauty. As the one being who wishes to liberate Shinji from his life of misery, Kaworu symbolically fills this role in the third movie.

Mari-- dog(pre-Q)/cat(Q)
Upon her initial arrival to NERV in the second movie, Mari had some doglike personality traits, such as an emphasis on smell. When she returned in Q, she seemingly abandoned these in favor of a feline motif. For the probable significance of this, see below.

Asuka--cat
Asuka in Rebuild is heavily associated with cats, especially in Q. The fact that Mari also adopts a cat motif during Q implies that she has developed a close relationship with Asuka, which may be anything from a friendship to a romance.
Last edited by El Squibbonator on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:04 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Sorry. I won't do it again, I promise (well, I'll try).

You've been beating the same drum so much it's crushed any interest I had in the topic. No one seems to have anything to say about it, so let it die already and quit the spamming.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok. It was interesting while it lasted. In any case, do you think these motifs will remain the same in the fourth movie?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:24 pm

I tried searching the forum and I can't find a mention of this, so might as well shove this in here.

MAYA LABELS ALL HER STUFF WITH A KITTY DRAWING

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 pm

I've known about that, and I think the general consensus is that it's a reference to her relationship with Ritsuko--who, if you'll recall, is stated to "fill the holes in her life with cats." Interestingly, this doesn't show up at all in Rebuild, and the cat motif is given to Asuka and Mari instead.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 pm

If Shinji had only remained on the Wunder a few more minutes he'd have been invited to the hourly lesbian orgy.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:25 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If Shinji had only remained on the Wunder a few more minutes he'd have been invited to the hourly lesbian orgy.

Hourly? Why would they wait that long?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Scissor me timbers!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 pm

He would have rejected it anyways, he always does :sniffle:
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Topic, please.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:01 pm

If you're not a Staff member, please don't act like one. Thanks. :rulez:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Sorry. Guess I got a little out of line.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:03 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I tried searching the forum and I can't find a mention of this, so might as well shove this in here.

It's worth noting that this cat appeared on Maya's laptop in NGE, EoE, and also in the "imagine in your own form" sequence in EoTV episode #26. Anyone care to go screenshot hunting?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Sounds like Maya picked up on Ritsuko's cat thing after all, then. That's cute.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Funny thing is, in both of these cases (Maya and Ritsuko, Asuka and Mari) cats are used as a motif for two same-sex characters in a possible romantic relationship.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:39 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I tried searching the forum and I can't find a mention of this, so might as well shove this in here.

She even write her name on western letters! So kawaï! :lol:
By the way, she has a really shitty handwriting.

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Funny thing is, in both of these cases (Maya and Ritsuko, Asuka and Mari) cats are used as a motif for two same-sex characters in a possible romantic relationship.

You're aware that the "possibility" of Asuka and Mari being in a romantic relationship is complete fanon, right? There's absolutely no proof in Q that they are in a romantic relationship, except maybe the fact the cat imagery, which is also a stock imagery to make anything cute and could had been used for that purpose in the movie.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”