Evangelion and Souls

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 am

The girls all have -nami surnames because they're all clones. The only pilot who isn't a clone is Shinji. Toji isn't a pilot in this continuity because he's not a clone.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The girls all have -nami surnames because they're all clones. The only pilot who isn't a clone is Shinji. Toji isn't a pilot in this continuity because he's not a clone.

Yes, I have surmised that before, but I wasn't aware that this is official or just fanwankery...

inb4 Shinji's real name revelation! Shinjiko Ikarinami!
Last edited by monitoradiation on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 am

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:If configuring the core is all that was required to pilot the Eva, then WHY THE HECK DID YUI GO INTO EVA-01?!

(A) So that Anno wouldn't have to think of a new motivation for Gendo's myopia.
(B) For the easy Gendo:Yui::Shinji:Rei parallels.

(Cynical? But of course!)

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Yes, I have surmised that before, but I wasn't aware that this is official or just fanwankery...

If Chuckman says it, assume it's fanwankery. :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:If Chuckman says it, assume it's fanwankery. :devil:

You spelled "metaphor and foreshadowing" wrong. :tongue:
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:26 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You spelled "metaphor and foreshadowing" wrong. :tongue:

Actually, somewhere on this forum i have made posts saying something akin to "Plzno Anno don't make this into clone wars"... :lol:

View Original PostReichu wrote:(A) So that Anno wouldn't have to think of a new motivation for Gendo's myopia.
(B) For the easy Gendo:Yui::Shinji:Rei parallels.

(Cynical? But of course!)

That seems lazy, even coming from Anno... But then again, 1.0 was kind of an easy cashgrab so maybe you're right...
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

Yui/Shogouki-san is the only Eva with soul.

:yui_grin:

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:10 am

View Original PostLord ikari Shinji wrote:I have to say that the rebuild's logic is hot trash compared to NGE.

Anno really did destory and recreate the story of Eva sadly. :sniffle:

Not really, without NGE game or something, the original series would be more wtf than NME.

I'd say Anno has done pretty good job, considering how little time he has had with these films.

Also, we have one movie go, it can easily explain stuff about Eva's ect.

WHY THE HECK DID YUI GO INTO EVA-01?!

This is why we have 4.0.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:33 am

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Thinking back. If configuring the core is all that was required to pilot the Eva, then WHY THE HECK DID YUI GO INTO EVA-01?!

Because EVA-01 was the original mean for SEELE to trigger HIP, and by being absorbed inside it Yui was guaranteed to be at the center of everything to screw their plans. That was until SEELE discovered the ADAM in the Moon.
Also it's alluded in various occasion that EVA-01 is special compared to the others : see Gendo saying that all the Evas, even 01, are just steps so SEELE could create a true god with Mark.06, or before Sahaquiel when Ritsuko chastised Misato that her objective should be to protect Lilith and Unit 01 at any cost(and remember that 02, a supposed superior model, was already here), so having control over it is still a nice asset for Yui, even if for some reason SEELE decides to ditch using it in favor of something else(which they did)

But anyway as Giji said above, there's still one movie, and Yui's motivation for going into EVA-01 were only revealed at the end of EoE, by a short conversation between Fuyutsuki and Rei/Lilith disguised as Yui no less.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The girls all have -nami surnames because they're all clones. The only pilot who isn't a clone is Shinji. Toji isn't a pilot in this continuity because he's not a clone.

We don't know that, there are still four Evas we didn't heard from(07 and 10-12), and Toji's shirt didn't ended in NERV's HQ by a coincidence, it's possible that he indeed was recruited as a pilot after 2.0, after all with Mark.06 present and EVA-02 in reparation, there was still a place left for a new Eva since 00 was destroyed and 01 frozen indefinitely.

As for the -nami surnames, didn't Anno admitted in an interview that he didn't know yet if it would be of importance?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:11 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Because EVA-01 was the original mean for SEELE to trigger HIP
and by being absorbed inside it Yui was guaranteed to be at the center of everything to screw their plans. That was until SEELE discovered the ADAM in the Moon.

I don't know that to be true. As far as I'm concerned, their original plan was to have the Evas produced to end the Angel Wars, then have Kaworu go down to Lilith and initiate 3I, and have HIM initiate HIP with Lilith. There's also the issue that since Yui seems to have been taking the backseat in terms of her overall role in Rebuild, I'm not sure who actually tabled the HIP to Seele. This hasn't been revealed yet in Rebuild, as far as I know.

Now, granted, as long as the HIP project was going along smoothly Seele didn't care what Eva was made and who's in it, which is how they got themselves in the mess of having a Lilithian Eva with Yui in it in the first place. However, I'm hard pressed to think of a good reason why Yui couldn't have been the pilot of Eva-01 if all Gendo wanted was to have her at the controls while HIP went down.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Also it's alluded in various occasion that EVA-01 is special compared to the others : see Gendo saying that all the Evas, even 01, are just steps so SEELE could create a true god with Mark.06

Eva-01 is special TO GENDO, because he knows its Lilithian and it's got Yui in it. Gendo says that Evas, including 01, are steps to Seele because SEELE doesn't see it as special. Seele wants to create Mk. 06 and Eva-01 is just another unit in a line of many to come. The creation of Mk. 06 on the moon did not involve Eva-01. Seele built it themselves, and I'm sure with Gendo having a vested interest in keeping the nature of Eva-01 secret (see Kaji's comment about Eva-01's pseudo-evo), he would not have revealed the secret to Seele.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:or before Sahaquiel when Ritsuko chastised Misato that her objective should be to protect Lilith and Unit 01 at any cost(and remember that 02, a supposed superior model, was already here), so having control over it is still a nice asset for Yui, even if for some reason SEELE decides to ditch using it in favor of something else(which they did)

Ritsuko obviously knew that Eva-01 was Lilithian and had Yui inside (which, brings it back to the point that if that's the case then why doesn't she know whether or not Eva-02's got Kyoko?), and that Gendo needs it for his version of HIP. Eva-02 was a production model.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 am

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:I don't know that to be true. As far as I'm concerned, their original plan was to have the Evas produced to end the Angel Wars, then have Kaworu go down to Lilith and initiate 3I, and have HIM initiate HIP with Lilith. There's also the issue that since Yui seems to have been taking the backseat in terms of her overall role in Rebuild,

Gendo seemed clearly surprised that SEELE planed to use Mark.06 for HIP, and that it means that they'll have to accelerate their plan to awake EVA-01, before Mark.06 is finished and sent to Earth. Fuyutsuki also states when they're in space that there was supposed to be only five units built(six counting 00), it's possible that SEELE decided to ditch EVA-01 as a consequence of the cold war Gendo started on them by destroying Bethany Base.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:I'm not sure who actually tabled the HIP to Seele. This hasn't been revealed yet in Rebuild, as far as I know.

It's revealed by Kaworu in 3.0 : HIP is something programmed since "time immemorial" and SEELE are immortal souls in monolith form that "guided" mankind since the dawn of civilization(and even helped mankind to establish civilization!), so the logical is that SEELE knows perfectly well how HIP works and have been cooking it up from millenia, the event of Rebuild being the final phase of their plan(at least until the time skip)

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:However, I'm hard pressed to think of a good reason why Yui couldn't have been the pilot of Eva-01 if all Gendo wanted was to have her at the controls while HIP went down.

Because a simple pilot can be replaced by another one or by a Dummy System. By becoming the Eva, Yui is sure that she'll be at the center of HIP no matter what, until SEELE found another Eva for their plans that's it.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Eva-01 is special TO GENDO, because he knows its Lilithian and it's got Yui in it. Gendo says that Evas, including 01, are steps to Seele because SEELE doesn't see it as special. Seele wants to create Mk. 06 and Eva-01 is just another unit in a line of many to come. The creation of Mk. 06 on the moon did not involve Eva-01. Seele built it themselves, and I'm sure with Gendo having a vested interest in keeping the nature of Eva-01 secret (see Kaji's comment about Eva-01's pseudo-evo), he would not have revealed the secret to Seele.

Well, even though it wasn't confirmed yet that EVA-01 Lilithian, it is special because so far SEELE only used special Evas to trigger HIP : Mark.06 and EVA-13 which are ADAMs. They wouldn't had gone through the hassle of finding them and armoring them if any Evangelion could do the job. And since Gendo originally planned to use Unit 01 to trigger his version of Instrumentality, it clearly means that it too is special.
Since apparently one of the telling characteristics of an ADAM is that it can't generate an AT Field, and that EVA-01 can do it, it hints toward a Lilithian origin as you said.

And SEELE did know about the pseudo-evolution : reaching that state is a requisite for awakening an Eva, which is necessary to make him able to open the Door of Guf and start the HIP.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Ritsuko obviously knew that Eva-01 was Lilithian and had Yui inside (which, brings it back to the point that if that's the case then why doesn't she know whether or not Eva-02's got Kyoko?), and that Gendo needs it for his version of HIP. Eva-02 was a production model.

It's hard to tell how much in the know Ritsuko is in Rebuild : she knows about Rei as her assigned medic, but seems to ignore a lot of things about the Evas, like the pseudo-evolution. So it's possible that she was far less in the loop than her NGE counterpart.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:09 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Fuyutsuki also states when they're in space that there wasn't any plans to built new ones after unit-05.

Fixed.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:25 am

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Thinking back. If configuring the core is all that was required to pilot the Eva, then WHY THE HECK DID YUI GO INTO EVA-01?!

For the same reason why hand-to-hand combat is the only way to defeat angels: Because that's just how complicated things work.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Also, we have one movie go, it can easily explain stuff about Eva's ect.

Just FYI, it's etc., short for et cetera.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Since apparently one of the telling characteristics of an ADAM is that it can't generate an AT Field, and that EVA-01 can do it, it hints toward a Lilithian origin as you said.

Mari was vague on what the lack of A.T. Field meant. She didn't actually say that Eva-13 was a surviving Adams (plural, and not in caps unless you plan on doing this for every proper noun in the franchise :p ) until the Eva awakened.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just FYI, it's etc., short for et cetera.

Oh.... -o-;

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Fixed.

Which amount to five Units, plus a sixth with 00.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mari was vague on what the lack of A.T. Field meant. She didn't actually say that Eva-13 was a surviving Adams (plural, and not in caps unless you plan on doing this for every proper noun in the franchise :p ) until the Eva awakened.

Well the structure of the scene imply that there is a correlation between not having an AT Field and being an ADAM : first when EVA-13 absorbs the Anti-AT Field bullets, she states "There's no A.T. Field? Don't tell me that unit...", that clearly hints that she recognize something in the fact that it doesn't have an ATF. Then a few minutes later : "Guess it's Awakened... It's one of the surviving Adams!" seems like a confirmation of her previous suspicion.
What else the fact it doesn't have an AT Field could refer to?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:14 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What else the fact it doesn't have an AT Field could refer to?

I think my main problem here is that we have absolutely no idea why the lack of an ATF is significant. What does it really mean? Why isn't one generated by two pilots synchronizing with the core? How is Eva-13 so powerful without one (given that the ATF is traditionally what makes Evas powerful)? Without any of that information, how in the world can "no ATF" be applied as a decisive diagnostic tool for anything? It really can't. If we have no idea why the ATF is missing in 13, there's no way to say that, for example, it would be impossible for Nerv to reappropriate an Adams such that it has one. For all we know, Eva-01 is an Adams who can generate an ATF because Yui was absorbed into the core.

We have gaping holes in the data that can't be filled in. As of 2.0, nobody speculating about what an "Adams" is would have guessed that anything like an "Adams' Vessel" (an Eva-shaped core that for some reason is called 'a container for an Adams') or a 4-eyed 4-armed ATF-less "surviving Adams" existed. Who knows what will be sprung on us in Final?
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 am

See, things like this is why we need a 3.0 CRC book! Immediately!

Mark.06, Mark.09 and Evangelion 13 aren't your conventional Evas, are they? They really are a bunch of abominations.....and doppelgangers, too boot!

:tongue:

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:10 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Gendo seemed clearly surprised that SEELE planed to use Mark.06 for HIP, and that it means that they'll have to accelerate their plan to awake EVA-01, before Mark.06 is finished and sent to Earth. Fuyutsuki also states when they're in space that there was supposed to be only five units built(six counting 00), it's possible that SEELE decided to ditch EVA-01 as a consequence of the cold war Gendo started on them by destroying Bethany Base.

I don't get the sense that Gendo was surprised in the way you're implying.

I think what Gendo was doing by blowing up the Bethany base was so that Nerv becomes the sole-source provider of Evas for HIP. Then Seele would have HAD to use an Eva from Nerv to trigger the impact, then he would simply volunteer Eva-01 for use.

But it didn't turn out the way, so they went to the moon to confirm the rumor of mk. 06's construction, then later on in the meeting, Seele made it clear their intention with Eva-01 never was to use it other than to perform "the necessary rituals" of eliminating the angels and pave the way of the "true Evangelion". That sounds to me like Seele is treating Eva-01 like any other unit.

Gendo though, knowing what Eva-01 really is, determined that it needs to be pseudo-evolved as soon as possible so that Seele doesn't get its way.

In addition, like I said, Kaji mentioned at the end of 2.0 that Seele wouldn't be happy that Nerv pseudo-evolved Eva-01 before all the pieces were in place - which means that Seele likely HAD a purpose for it pseudo-evolving. My guess is that all of the Eva units were supposed to be used in a way similar to the MPEs in EoE, but it wasn't the centerpiece in their plans.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's revealed by Kaworu in 3.0 : HIP is something programmed since "time immemorial" and SEELE are immortal souls in monolith form that "guided" mankind since the dawn of civilization(and even helped mankind to establish civilization!), so the logical is that SEELE knows perfectly well how HIP works and have been cooking it up from millenia, the event of Rebuild being the final phase of their plan(at least until the time skip)

I also don't agree with this. Kaworu is known to speak in poetic phrases bordering on metaphors and parables. I only take his words as the platitudes that they are and don't like to read too much into them. Considering his likely Adam incarnation status, he's probably speaking vaguely to a sense of "cycle of life" type thing (he iirc, mentions "mass extinction cycles" and "evolution" being programmed since time immemorial, not specifically HIP)

That Seele is stuck in monoliths is not evidence that they've been through many such situations and have done this kind of thing before (and all evidence points to the fact that this is their first time possibly succeeding, since succeeding means they die).

Like I said, Rebuild hasn't explicitly stated as to who started the HIP, so for now I'll assume that it still follows NGE.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Because a simple pilot can be replaced by another one or by a Dummy System. By becoming the Eva, Yui is sure that she'll be at the center of HIP no matter what, until SEELE found another Eva for their plans that's it.

Except Gendo controls all of the factors leading to the choice of the pilot - and as we've seen in NGE and EoE, Yui is practically the subconscious of Eva-01 and the choice of what to do with HIP was given to Shinji, and not Yui. If the control of HIP is given to the pilot during HIP and Gendo wanted Yui to be in control of HIP, assuming that they can program the core for piloting, it only makes sense that Yui be the pilot and not Shinji.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, even though it wasn't confirmed yet that EVA-01 Lilithian, it is special because so far SEELE only used special Evas to trigger HIP : Mark.06 and EVA-13 which are ADAMs. They wouldn't had gone through the hassle of finding them and armoring them if any Evangelion could do the job. And since Gendo originally planned to use Unit 01 to trigger his version of Instrumentality, it clearly means that it too is special.

I agree that only specific Eva units trigger Impacts (and right now I'm not too sure how they work yet in Rebuild). Which supports my point in saying that Eva-01 is NOT SPECIAL TO SEELE but IS SPECIAL TO GENDO.

There's no reason why Seele would leave the trigger of HIP in Gendo's hands, which is why they built Mk. 06. They don't trust him and didn't intend for another unit to trigger the impact.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's hard to tell how much in the know Ritsuko is in Rebuild : she knows about Rei as her assigned medic, but seems to ignore a lot of things about the Evas, like the pseudo-evolution. So it's possible that she was far less in the loop than her NGE counterpart.

Yeah that remains to be seen.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I think my main problem here is that we have absolutely no idea why the lack of an ATF is significant. What does it really mean? Why isn't one generated by two pilots synchronizing with the core? How is Eva-13 so powerful without one (given that the ATF is traditionally what makes Evas powerful)? Without any of that information, how in the world can "no ATF" be applied as a decisive diagnostic tool for anything? It really can't.

Agreed. I don't know what the significance of not having an ATF is.

If I were to hypothesize, Mari expected Eva-13 to have an ATF; she's using some kind of Anti-ATF ammo that maybe does some kind of psychological attack on the pilots by interfering with the ATF. I'm guessing that it might even tang the pilots by neutralizing the ATF and is hence the last resort.

Since Eva-13 did not have ATF it just passed through like neutrinos - and that was kind of their last chance at stopping 4I. Just another Gendo-foiled-your-plans-again moments. Nothing special about Eva-13 not having an ATF - it just means that the pilots can't be incapacitated by tampering with their ATF using the Anti-ATF ammo.

Then again, that's just me fanwanking.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:I don't get the sense that Gendo was surprised in the way you're implying.

I think what Gendo was doing by blowing up the Bethany base was so that Nerv becomes the sole-source provider of Evas for HIP. Then Seele would have HAD to use an Eva from Nerv to trigger the impact, then he would simply volunteer Eva-01 for use.

He also blew up Bethany base because for some reason EVA-05 as a nuisance for him(or rather maybe it's pilot, Mari) and because SEELE's researches on angelic technology could make them more powerful for the moment the unavoidable confrontation against them would come.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:But it didn't turn out the way, so they went to the moon to confirm the rumor of mk. 06's construction, then later on in the meeting, Seele made it clear their intention with Eva-01 never was to use it other than to perform "the necessary rituals" of eliminating the angels and pave the way of the "true Evangelion". That sounds to me like Seele is treating Eva-01 like any other unit.

Gendo though, knowing what Eva-01 really is, determined that it needs to be pseudo-evolved as soon as possible so that Seele doesn't get its way.

In addition, like I said, Kaji mentioned at the end of 2.0 that Seele wouldn't be happy that Nerv pseudo-evolved Eva-01 before all the pieces were in place - which means that Seele likely HAD a purpose for it pseudo-evolving. My guess is that all of the Eva units were supposed to be used in a way similar to the MPEs in EoE, but it wasn't the centerpiece in their plans.

Awakening an Evangelion isn't something easily made, you have to use a "special Eva"(a surviving ADAM or whatever the hell Unit 01 is) and made it consume an Angel, and there are only ten of them(not counting the ADAMs and Lilith), and by the time Mark.06 was completed there were only three left(Zeruel, 11th and 12th), besides awakening an Evangelion is something messy and very visible, which will make the rest of NERV's staff asking question about why they were never tell that an Eva can start a freakin' Impact, all of this means that awakening one too soon before the Angels are dealt with, and the wrong Eva to make matter worses, put the entire scenario at risks, that's why Kaji said that SEELE will be hardcore pissed at what happened to EVA-01.

SEELE treated the other's Evas as canon fodder to destroy the Angels, so I don't think that they intended to use them as Rebuild's version of the MP-Evas.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:I also don't agree with this. Kaworu is known to speak in poetic phrases bordering on metaphors and parables. I only take his words as the platitudes that they are and don't like to read too much into them. Considering his likely Adam incarnation status, he's probably speaking vaguely to a sense of "cycle of life" type thing (he iirc, mentions "mass extinction cycles" and "evolution" being programmed since time immemorial, not specifically HIP)

I admit that he often speak in cryptic ways, but he's very clear about this :

00:51:21 {Kaworu} Old life is offered in sacrifice,
00:51:23 {Kaworu} so that new beings blessed with the Fruit of Life may be created.
00:51:29 {Kaworu} All this is an act of extinction that has been programmed since time immemorial.
00:51:33 {Kaworu} Nerv call it the Human Instrumentality Project.

The phrasing clearly says that this act of offering the old life in sacrifice to bring the birth of a new race with the FoL is something programmed since time immemorial, and here called the HIP.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:That Seele is stuck in monoliths is not evidence that they've been through many such situations and have done this kind of thing before (and all evidence points to the fact that this is their first time possibly succeeding, since succeeding means they die).

Like I said, Rebuild hasn't explicitly stated as to who started the HIP, so for now I'll assume that it still follows NGE.

Again, Gendo specifically say that they are immortal and "gifted" humanity with civilization :
01:16:33 {Gendo} Though you have all changed the form of your souls,
01:16:37 {Gendo} you are still creatures blessed with the Fruit of Knowledge.
01:16:41 {Gendo} Though you could have lived for an eternity,
01:16:44 {Gendo} you can escape the fate of death no more than us.
01:16:50 {Gendo} To advance the evolution of the flock burdened by death,
01:16:54 {Gendo} you gave us the gift of civilization.

Since it's the final moment of SEELE and we'll probably not hear of them again in FINAL, I don't see why Gendo would hide the fact that he was talking about the whole organization rather than the monoliths(especially since at this moments the monoliths are all that are left of SEELE!)

And since they're around since millenia and Kaworu mentioned that HIP was programmed since time immemorial, the implication are that SEELE are the ones who came with the HIP.
And since both Kaworu and SEELE dies in this movie, there isn't any reason to hide their true nature or intentions.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Except Gendo controls all of the factors leading to the choice of the pilot - and as we've seen in NGE and EoE, Yui is practically the subconscious of Eva-01 and the choice of what to do with HIP was given to Shinji, and not Yui. If the control of HIP is given to the pilot during HIP and Gendo wanted Yui to be in control of HIP, assuming that they can program the core for piloting, it only makes sense that Yui be the pilot and not Shinji.

No, if SEELE want to impose a pilot for an Eva, they can do it and Gendo doesn't have any saying in it, see in episode 24 when they ordered Gendo to take Kaworu as the pilot for EVA-02.
Even if Yui was designed as the pilot of EVA-01, if one day SEELE says "okay, from now on Kaworu is the pilot for EVA-01", Gendo would had has only choice to accept it or go into open conflict against SEELE.
But if Yui is the soul of EVA-01, then no matter what happen, as long as this Eva is used for Instrumentality, Yui will have a way to communicate with the pilot(like she did to Shinji in EoE) and once everything is over, will have her "eternal monument to mankind" as she wanted.

Now we don't know if that's also her objective in Rebuild, it could be widely different for all we know.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:I agree that only specific Eva units trigger Impacts (and right now I'm not too sure how they work yet in Rebuild). Which supports my point in saying that Eva-01 is NOT SPECIAL TO SEELE but IS SPECIAL TO GENDO.

There's no reason why Seele would leave the trigger of HIP in Gendo's hands, which is why they built Mk. 06. They don't trust him and didn't intend for another unit to trigger the impact.

Well, they did left Lilith, EVA-01 and the spear of Longinus to Gendo in NGE, because they thought that he was loyal to SEELE's cause, until various "incidents" around him and his decisions as commander of NERV made them suspicious of him, culminating to the open confrontation in EoE.
So I can perfectly picture SEELE trusting enough Gendo to leave the Impact Trigger to him, at least until the events at the beginning of 2.0.

Also, Gendo's answer to SEELE's reveal that they intend to use Mark.06 and not EVA-01 for HIP was to say that all of NERV's Evas, even Unit 01, are stepping stones for Mark.06's deification. If EVA-01 was presented and treated by SEELE like any other unit from the beginning, Gendo wouldn't notice that "even unit 01" is a stepping stone, he would had know it from the start and not reacted to SEELE's revelation.
Besides, they thought that only unit's up to 05 would be created, since the actual 05 was a piece of half-finished crap and all the other ones presented as normal ones, SEELE must had said to Gendo that Unit 01 was the one to be used to HIP, and even if they never intended, from the very beginning, to use 01 for HIP, EVA-01 is still able to generate an Impact and thus potentially be used for HIP.

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:If I were to hypothesize, Mari expected Eva-13 to have an ATF; she's using some kind of Anti-ATF ammo that maybe does some kind of psychological attack on the pilots by interfering with the ATF. I'm guessing that it might even tang the pilots by neutralizing the ATF and is hence the last resort.

Since Eva-13 did not have ATF it just passed through like neutrinos - and that was kind of their last chance at stopping 4I. Just another Gendo-foiled-your-plans-again moments. Nothing special about Eva-13 not having an ATF - it just means that the pilots can't be incapacitated by tampering with their ATF using the Anti-ATF ammo.

Then again, that's just me fanwanking.

But then what could it mean? Mari's reaction and words clearly means that the lack of an AT Field is a giveaway of something in particular about this Eva :
01:13:30 {Mari} There's no A.T. Field?
01:13:32 {Mari} Don't tell me that unit...

The pause before the reveal of what it mean is a typical instrument to keep an important information from being revealing too fast, having her wanting to say "Don't tell that unit... is impervious to my anti-AT Field ammo?" would be really stupid since we just saw that they don't have any effect on EVA-13. The moment it awakes is Mari's confirmation that EVA-13 is one of the ADAMs.

---

Anyway, back on topic, it's clear that EVA-01 is "special" compared to the others Evas in that it can trigger an Impact, and whatever make it special is probably what made Yui fuse with it.
Since Rebuild has less total time than NGE and the others pilots susceptible to have their mother's soul in their Evas(meaning everyone minus Rei and Kaworu) got far less screentime and focus than in NGE, the most likely explanation is that in Rebuild only EVA-01 as a resident soul, which limit the scopes of possible pilots to Shinji and Rei, all the other Evangelions can be piloted by anyone who got the "gift" to be able to pilot an Eva, which also explain how the pilots can hop from one Eva to another(except 01)

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:56 pm

^Before I respond to you again, I want to make something absolutely clear.

EVA-01 is SPECIAL. I never stated that it wasn't. SEELE doesn't see it that way because they don't know that it's Lilithian.

Please stop saying things that imply that I'm suggesting otherwise. Going forward, I'm not responding to any of your suggestions of the sort because it's a point that I've clarified many times already.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:He also blew up Bethany base because for some reason EVA-05 as a nuisance for him(or rather maybe it's pilot, Mari) and because SEELE's researches on angelic technology could make them more powerful for the moment the unavoidable confrontation against them would come.

Source or evidence stating Gendo's concerns? Or is this fanwank?

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Awakening an Evangelion isn't something easily made, you have to use a "special Eva"(a surviving ADAM or whatever the hell Unit 01 is) and made it consume an Angel, and there are only ten of them(not counting the ADAMs and Lilith)

I think your Impact mechanics are wrong. Lilithian Evas like Eva-01 start impacts by consuming Adamic entities (Angels), whereas Adamic Evas need to consume Lilith's remains down in TD (or other Lilithan Evas).

Mks, afaik, are Adamic, and probably couldn't have initiated an Impact by absorbing angels. But at the end of 2.0, that's far from the issue as Zeruel basically has destroyed Nerv. From Seele's point of view, they simply have to save the day with Kaworu in Mk. 06, beat the 11th and 12th, then march down to Lilith and start the Impact.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:and by the time Mark.06 was completed there were only three left(Zeruel, 11th and 12th), besides awakening an Evangelion is something messy and very visible, which will make the rest of NERV's staff asking question about why they were never tell that an Eva can start a freakin' Impact, all of this means that awakening one too soon before the Angels are dealt with, and the wrong Eva to make matter worses, put the entire scenario at risks, that's why Kaji said that SEELE will be hardcore pissed at what happened to EVA-01.

Most of this is fanwank, I'm afraid. I don't recall anything ever being said about Nerv staff questioning stuff. The occam's razor explanation is simply that awakening Eva-01 are either:

1. Not in Seele's scenario so it'd mess up the schedule
2. Not according to Seele's scenario timeline

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:SEELE treated the other's Evas as canon fodder to destroy the Angels, so I don't think that they intended to use them as Rebuild's version of the MP-Evas.

Yes, and their meeting with Gendo + Kozo explicitly stated that they treat Eva-01 no differently. This is why I get peeved whenever you misconstrue what I'm saying about Eva-01 in Seele's plans.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I admit that he often speak in cryptic ways, but he's very clear about this :

00:51:21 {Kaworu} Old life is offered in sacrifice,
00:51:23 {Kaworu} so that new beings blessed with the Fruit of Life may be created.
00:51:29 {Kaworu} All this is an act of extinction that has been programmed since time immemorial.
00:51:33 {Kaworu} Nerv call it the Human Instrumentality Project.

The phrasing clearly says that this act of offering the old life in sacrifice to bring the birth of a new race with the FoL is something programmed since time immemorial, and here called the HIP.

Yes, I agree. However, you're missing one big part and that's where the contention is:
It's not stated that Seele is the one that drives every cycle. In fact it's implied that only Nerv, and by extention, Seele, calls it the HIP.

There can be versions of shadowy governments from bygone era that are NOT Seele, doing the same thing. But that does NOT imply that Seele themselves drove every HIP-esque cycle, nor does it even imply that Seele came up with it.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Again, Gendo specifically say that they are immortal and "gifted" humanity with civilization :

01:16:33 {Gendo} Though you have all changed the form of your souls,
01:16:37 {Gendo} you are still creatures blessed with the Fruit of Knowledge.
01:16:41 {Gendo} Though you could have lived for an eternity,
01:16:44 {Gendo} you can escape the fate of death no more than us.

Since it's the final moment of SEELE and we'll probably not hear of them again in FINAL, I don't see why Gendo would hide the fact that he was talking about the whole organization rather than the monoliths(especially since at this moments the monoliths are all that are left of SEELE!)

You can escape the fate of death no more than us

means that they're NOT immortal. They've only extended their lifespan by putting their brains in jars.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And since they're around since millenia and Kaworu mentioned that HIP was programmed since time immemorial, the implication are that SEELE are the ones who came with the HIP.
And since both Kaworu and SEELE dies in this movie, there isn't any reason to hide their true nature or intentions.

Please read what you've quoted again.

What he's saying here is that Seele, living as brains in jars, have guided humanity through millennia to extend the inevitable death of humans by the survival of the species. This no more implies that they've come up with the HIP than it was in NGE. Remember that in NGE it was Gendo that tabled the HIP to Seele, who was an international cabal that runs the shadow government, basically.

In Rebuild, it is plausible that the same thing happened, that Gendo tabled the HIP to Seele in an attempt to evolve the humans past the death that Seele has been prolonging.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:No, if SEELE want to impose a pilot for an Eva, they can do it and Gendo doesn't have any saying in it, see in episode 24 when they ordered Gendo to take Kaworu as the pilot for EVA-02. Even if Yui was designed as the pilot of EVA-01, if one day SEELE says "okay, from now on Kaworu is the pilot for EVA-01", Gendo would had has only choice to accept it or go into open conflict against SEELE.

Three things:

1. Seele doesn't care what happens to Eva-01 nor who gets to pilot it. Or else they'd likely have had a field day when Shinji showed up.
2. At the point of Kaworu's entrance, Nerv didn't have another pilot
3. The ultimate decider of who gets to be the pilot is actually Misato iirc, and she works for Gendo who can veto her decisions.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, they did left Lilith, EVA-01 and the spear of Longinus to Gendo in NGE, because they thought that he was loyal to SEELE's cause, until various "incidents" around him and his decisions as commander of NERV made them suspicious of him, culminating to the open confrontation in EoE.
So I can perfectly picture SEELE trusting enough Gendo to leave the Impact Trigger to him, at least until the events at the beginning of 2.0.

No real contention here based on 1.0. In 2.0 context, though I would urge you to, again, watch the scene of their meeting.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Also, Gendo's answer to SEELE's reveal that they intend to use Mark.06 and not EVA-01 for HIP was to say that all of NERV's Evas, even Unit 01, are stepping stones for Mark.06's deification. If EVA-01 was presented and treated by SEELE like any other unit from the beginning, Gendo wouldn't notice that "even unit 01" is a stepping stone, he would had know it from the start and not reacted to SEELE's revelation.

Besides, they thought that only unit's up to 05 would be created, since the actual 05 was a piece of half-finished crap and all the other ones presented as normal ones, SEELE must had said to Gendo that Unit 01 was the one to be used to HIP, and even if they never intended, from the very beginning, to use 01 for HIP, EVA-01 is still able to generate an Impact and thus potentially be used for HIP.

You're forgetting that if Seele told Gendo that they wanted to use Eva-01 as the trigger, Gendo wouldn't have needed to try to subvert their plans. What's the point in subverting the plan to use Eva-01 as the trigger if Gendo WANTS Eva-01 to be the trigger?

What's actually likely was that Eva-05 was Seele's planned trigger so Gendo sabotaged it. After their sabotage, Seele started building a new trigger, Mk. 06, on the moon, which is why Kozo revealed that only 5 units were in the plans. Gendo wasn't expecting that they'd start building a 6th after they destroyed Eva-05.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But then what could it mean? Mari's reaction and words clearly means that the lack of an AT Field is a giveaway of something in particular about this Eva :

01:13:30 {Mari} There's no A.T. Field?
01:13:32 {Mari} Don't tell me that unit...

Like Reichuu, I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but at this point it's useless to make conjectures. We don't have the information to decide whether or not we should be impressed by this revelation.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”