3.0 is a prequel

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

3.0 is a prequel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:07 am

lets face it....it has to be. they never mention ANYTHING that happened after the end of 2.0 the scene where karowu clearly STOPPED third impact. and said " this time". 3.0 must be a prequal showing why Karouw is going back in time and repeating everything to get it right. ALSO the graves you see at the end of 1.0 all those graves are the numerous times karouw has restarted in order to get it right. i bet the first half of 4.0 will be how the world ends and everyone dies. and the second half will catch up to where the ending of 2.0 left off and then it will conclude how it all ends.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 am

That could happen..Although I doubt it. I'm not a big fan of the "Kaworu-time-travelling" stuff anyhow, but I don't think there's much proof to show that 3.0 is a prequel. First of all, Misato and Co. show Shinji scenes from 2I, and Shinji also has flashbacks of the same- indicating that the events of 2.0 already happened. We also don't see any concrete evidence that 3I was actually stopped; it could have been put on hold or paused (note that Asuka tries to stop 3I from "starting up again" as 4I begins, indicating that it was paused but resumed at some point).

Proof that the events of 2.0 really happened prior to 3.0 instead of the other way around can be found in the existence of the Mark.06, Kaworu's statements about the Lance of Cassius, the flashbacks to 2I, Shinji talking about saving Rei and how Rei was holding the S-DAT when he saved her, etc. If the post-credits scene hadn't happened, Eva-01 would have already ascended to Godhood and we'd have something like the end of EoE.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:19 am

I think I shall have to file this tendency to reach for time-loop/reset Peggy-Sue models at the least provocation alongside the zombie apocalypse as just one of those things about the (primarily USAn) younger generation that I will never get. Has film and TV made the magical do-over that much of a default trope?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:30 am

@Mr. Tines Though I agree with you for the most part, I must concede that Rebuild has made several nods towards some sort of time-looping mechanic thus far. However, the idea of Q being a prequel is new to me. It doesn't make much sense as far as I'm concerned, seeing as the events of Ha are directly referenced in Q....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:37 am

Wishful thinking but no, 3.0 was no prequel its a new take on the story of eva.

Disappointing to some/ exciting to many :lol:
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:50 am

3.0 is indeed a prequel.

To Final.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:40 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:3.0 is indeed a prequel.

To Final.

Woah...

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby WunderBah » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:35 am

To Final.

/Thread. :devil:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 pm

To Final.

:tiphat:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Has film and TV made the magical do-over that much of a default trope?

Well, maybe it's just me, but I seem to see a lot more of time-loops and reset buttons in anime for some years, like :
SPOILER: Show
CLANNAD, Madoka Magika, Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate, Muv Luv, Mirai Nikki...
and of course the end of the Evangelion manga.

If I must make a guess, that trend seems to come from the huge popularity of Visual Novels and their multiples endings, which are massively adapted in animated form and tend to use this trope to show as much of the original material's endings as possible, which in turn made many Visual Novels use this trope to justify their multiple endings(and maybe to make it easier for the possible later animated adaptation)

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole deal in You Can (Not) Redo with the spears is revealed to be Anno deconstructing the trope of time loops and reset buttons by having the miraculous spears being a trap laid by Gendo(and which maybe wouldn't even had repaired everything the way Shinji hoped) and Kaworu looping through time or traveling through dimensions ending in continuous failures at making Shinji happy because of his insistence in going solo.(something he did again in Q by treating WILLE as enemies of Shinji's happiness instead of potential allies)

Also, it's actually not the first time I saw the theory that Q is in fact a prequel of Jo and Ha, I saw it mostly in Japanese sites.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Loops and resets are really stupid and the absolute cheapest of all the available options.

Edit: probably should clarify that as an ending, loops and resets are stupid. If the creators dedicate the proper amount of effort to weave them throughout the work they can be interesting. But if you just magic shit away at the end that's just wasting the entire work.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Loops and resets are really stupid and the absolute cheapest of all the available options.

Edit: probably should clarify that as an ending, loops and resets are stupid. If the creators dedicate the proper amount of effort to weave them throughout the work they can be interesting. But if you just magic shit away at the end that's just wasting the entire work.

QFT.

:asuka_thumbsup:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Anno might be a sucker for Hindu/Buddhist cosmology, in which the world functions as a long, long series of eras. To use that old Battlestar Galactica trope, "All of this has happened before and will happen again". It would be a shame if AOTHHBAWHA turns up here, because it would really be the laziest and most tired of cliches, as bad as having Shinji wake up and find out it's all a dream.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I think I shall have to file this tendency to reach for time-loop/reset Peggy-Sue models at the least provocation alongside the zombie apocalypse as just one of those things about the (primarily USAn) younger generation that I will never get. Has film and TV made the magical do-over that much of a default trope?

If there's anyone to blame for apocalyptic thinking, I'd blame Zarathustra Spitama, the first man to envision the apocalyptic battle between good and evil. Regarding the USAn younger generation and its own craze for apocalypses - well, I'm not American, but I get the impression that there's more disillusionment than ever in the US and a greater desire for a "quick fix" rather than a hard, long grind to fix a mess that had been coming over the ages - a desire for better things but without the work that goes into it. Just my theory, and nothing else.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ah Q
Adam

Postby Ah Q » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm stuck at home after undergoing a minor surgery, so I rewatched 1.11 today. Twice. (Hey, I'm stuck in bed and have lots of time on my hands.) The time traveling theory has always struck me as too far-fetched, but after watching the Kaworu scene at the end of 1.11 a couple times in succession, I have to admit that there may be something to it.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:12 am

Nadia is a prequel to 3.0, which is a prequel to NGE, which is a prequel to Gunbuster, which is a prequel to Diebuster, which is a prequel to Love & Pop.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:15 am

Time to give this thread a mercy killing; I can tell it's gonna be the same old rehashing of countless other threads. I guess sequel theory hopes haven't died down at all? 3.0 being a prequel to anything but Final is just silly.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”