New York Comic Con screening 3.0 on October 11th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:58 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I once read some fan interview where the interviewer essentially spoiled for her with what happens in NGE ("In the original NGE, Rei is revealed to be the Angel Lilith...etc") :facepalm:

Not surprising, everyone assumes every actor has some deep or special connection with every role they play. Even saying you didn't care about the role on a personal level and that "it was just a job" is enough to drive some fans to anger. Hugo Weaving said that of playing Megatron, and some people nerd raged.

McFarland specifically urged people unfamiliar with Evangelion to watch the show. He didn't want them to consciously, or unconsciously mimic the prior Japanese or English performance. Which I understand and respect. On some level, it's not about matching prior work, it's about getting the character right.

But yeah, I remember people being like "What does Rei like?" and Brina was like "I don't know... I went into a booth and Mike told me what to say for two hours... and then I got paid...".

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:41 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Not surprising, everyone assumes every actor has some deep or special connection with every role they play. Even saying you didn't care about the role on a personal level and that "it was just a job" is enough to drive some fans to anger. Hugo Weaving said that of playing Megatron, and some people nerd raged.

It's about professionalism and being able to be proud of your work too. Especially when it's not a job that pays very well like being a VA, there's an expectation (perhaps unjustified) that the people who do it really love it and want to at least get the basic character right.

It's one thing to not want to imitate prior work, but there's a basic level of conformity that's required for the narrative before artistic liberty should show its nuance. Imagine if they got a gruff male to dub Rei and a cutesy girl VA for Gendo; it just wouldn't work.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Noah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Noah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Not surprising, everyone assumes every actor has some deep or special connection with every role they play. Even saying you didn't care about the role on a personal level and that "it was just a job" is enough to drive some fans to anger. Hugo Weaving said that of playing Megatron, and some people nerd raged.

Yet Johnny Depp can say he doesn't watch his own movies and that somehow makes him more cool.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:14 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:They brought back Allison Keith. I'm on board the hype train.

What I'm curious to see is Misato's VA performance, she has to dub the character who got through the most changes by Q, so that will be interesting to see how she will pull it off.

SPOILER: Show
Oh yeah, with Misato being more of a unnecessarily mean bitch in 3.0, I'm sure I'm looking forward to see her performance. ... yeah, screw 3.0 Misato.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:40 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:
Oh yeah, with Misato being more of a unnecessarily mean bitch in 3.0, I'm sure I'm looking forward to see her performance. ... yeah, screw 3.0 Misato.

I don't even know where to start with that statement :facepalm:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:28 pm

View Original PostNoah wrote:Yet Johnny Depp can say he doesn't watch his own movies and that somehow makes him more cool.

A lot of actors don't. I just read an article about how Tom Hanks doesn't ever watch his movies with the exception of The Thing You Do, on account that he was only a minor role, and he directed it.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Hopefully Spike Spencer will be able to play Shinji convincingly as Megumi Ogata did for this movie. When I watched some bits of the TV series and a bit of EoE in English, I simply couldn't sit through it without cringing. Nevertheless, he IS Shinji (to a degree) so hopefully he won't disappoint us with the dub. Now if they could something with those screams.

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Spencer himself is gonna be at NYCC, along with the director Mcfarland. And according the the NYCC schedule, its indeed the dub being shown. 8-10pm, with a panel with Spencer and Mcfarland afterwards.

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Hopefully a home release date will be revealed at the panel. I really hope it is anyway.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 pm

So, dudes, how was it?

Anything worth noting?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:18 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:So, dudes, how was it?

Anything worth noting?

Still 4.5 hours till the movie starts
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 am

Just got back. Watching with a live audience was possibly the greatest thing ever.

Dub notes: Asuka sounds pretty much like she does in 2.0, just with extra screaming. She does call Shinji an A-hole though (not to his face) at one point.

Misato is hard core cold. It's less her being mean and more her just being a cold calculating professional, as she's basically like that to everyone, and not just Shinji.

Rei is....well she only says something about orders or "I don't know" or "another me" over and over, but she's pretty much as she sounded in the last films.

The bridge crew are good but forgettable.

Shinji is.....well he's actually not overly whiny sounding. In fact he sounds more angry or confused most of the time. Still Spencer's rougher more masculine sounding voice doesn't make him sound as sympathetic as the Japanese does (but that might have been the point....see later on). But I think he did a good job and the audience seemed to agree.

They REALLY toned up the homosexual overtones in most of the Shinji Kaworu interaction, to the point where the audience was nearly constantly laughing (or squeeing in fangirl cases) for almost the entire of them.

Sakura sounds adorable.

Mari continues to be hilarious and and most of her lines were loved by the audience. She also had more swearing and one F-bomb like in 2.0. Although her last lines to Shinji are a little meaner sounding than the Japanese version.

The fates of the characters not appearing in the film are still ambigious.
Sakura's was something like "Thanks for being good to my brother back then. I'm his little sister." which honestly sounds more like he died. She also says "Just do what you think is the right thing you should do, but please don't ever pilot an Eva" when Shinji leaves. The bridge guys line is still something like "She's a good captain like Kaji said."

Maya's line about young men was replaced with something else.

The overall tone with the dialogue is to make Shinji look in the wrong, and later on just irrational and crazy about the situation. It's also mentioned several times that he is "Naive" by various characters

Audience reactions:

Majority of the audience didn't seem to know what was going to happen.

Applause for the first appearances of Asuka, Rei, Mari, Kaworu, Misato and even Gendo, but not for Shinji.

Audience found the Kaworu overtones hilarious.

Audience found most of Mari's lines hilarious.

Audience was mostly against Shinji by the end. His line towards the end of "Was this my fault" was met with audible groans from everyone, and "what should I do" had someone shouting "Stop f-ing up!"

Unit 02 beast mode was cheered for initially until the panther parts started appearing at which point it was met with confusion.

Several screams of horror, when the collar explodes. Though one guy was laughing.

By the end the audience seemed confused and some even groaning at the film, but still gave it a standing ovation. People started to leave and had to be reminded by the MC about the preview.

Preview was mostly met with a mix between cheers and confusion.

Audience reactions were recorded and will be added as bonus features in the 3.33 Blue Ray release.

Only a few questions with Spike Spencer afterwards. One stood out. When asked what Spike thought about all the "anti Shinji" stuff all over the internet (Both before and after 3.0 came out) Spike said that he personally doesn't care if people like Shinji or think he's in the right, nor was ever specifically directed in the tv show or films to specifically make Shinji sympathetic. He said people should think what they want.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 am

Very detailed, thanks for the report. I saw the sub theatrically back in July and the audience was not as reactive by comparison.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Practice » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:49 am

View Original PostJimbob wrote:Just got back. Watching with a live audience was possibly the greatest thing ever.

I just got back as well, and I disagree completely. The audience was awful, and for the most part ruined the entire first half of the movie for me.

The whole Shinji/Kaworu interaction was turned up a bit when compared to the original series, but it wasn't that bad at all; it's just that a huge portion of the audience decided it would be funny to act like twelve year olds, laugh at everything, and shout out "that's what she said" jokes to the point where you can't hear important dialogue.

3.0 is a much more serious when compared to the first two films (which had plenty of lighthearted scenes akin to the original series), but the obnoxious audience ruined the immersion for the entire first half of the film.
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for the report Jimbob!

Glad to hear that Allison Keith(Misato) apparently managed to take the changes on Misato's personality without making her sound heartless.

One of these day I should pick an English dub version of 2.0 and 3.0, just to hear Mari's VA, because apparently her lines are pure gold and she's quickly becoming a fan favorite in the English speaking audience!

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Another thing, besides the changes, that makes Misato (and Shinji) challenging for Q are their highly controversial actions; People will be picking around in all of their quotes; Just a little bit of nuance and inflection could make a huge difference in how they're percieved.

Looks like your question is answered Kendrix : the English dub opted making Shinji look more in the wrong(especially with the fact that apparently everyone calls him naive more often). Overall I get the feeling that the western renditions of the movie tone down the feeling of ambiguity to make us cheer or disapprove more of a side. That was the same thing with the French subs, but in the other side : they made Shinji's lines more desperate and looking like he's really backed against a corner and that these spears are really his last chance, making the audience more sympathetic to him.
Oh yeah and they toned up the gay vibes of the Shinji/Kaworu interactions too! :lol:

View Original PostJimbob wrote:Applause for the first appearances of Asuka, Rei, Mari, Kaworu, Misato and even Gendo, but not for Shinji.

Poor Shinji just can't win, isn't it? :shinchair:
Now that I'm think about it, he's the only character who didn't get an awesome introduction, so that's kinda understandable :
- Asuka was introduced piloting in space and slaloming between killer drones and explosions.
- Mari appeared with an hugeass sniper rifle killing every killer drone without a miss
- Misato appears with this aura of authority and inside the Command Bridge of the ship she commands, she really makes us understand that she owns the place!
- Rei appeared punching an hole through a giant flying battleship and making varappe with a 80 meter tall robot at high speed and hundreds of meters of altitude
- Kaworu appeared all swaggy looking at Shinji falling from the sky, and latter even swagger playing masterfully the piano
- Gendo appears out of the shadows with his new cyborg look with all his usual bastard swag to just give a single phrase to Shinji before leaving like a king

Shinji... wakes up in a sealed box, and after that is seen in a gown being dragged heavily restrained in a stretcher with four dudes pointing assaults rifles at his face, not really an awesome way to make your return!

Now for everyone's reaction toward the movie at the end... well that pretty much the standard reaction to everyone who see it for the first time, it have so many gut punches, shocking scenes and confusing moments that you can only have a emotional, almost visceral reaction to it, especially toward Shinji(be it sympathy or hate). It's only after seeing it again that you start to pick up all the little details you missed the first time and begin to understand the forces playing behind the curtain to make the situation at the end of the movie possible, and that's what make this movie so great!

Still I feel that all the respect Shinji managed to gain from the western audience at the end of 2.0 just died very messily, and could have very well reached levels of loathing even greater than EoE!Shinji! -o-;
Let's see if FINAL manages to redeem his character in the eyes of the westerners.

While I'm on it, there is some questions I wanted to ask about some lines the characters said in the dub :

- What was Misato's rendition of her line when answering to Shinji who wanted to help : "From now on... you'll do nothing" or simply "Do nothing"?

- Sakura's last line : was it "Give us a break!", "I don't want it to happen all over again!", "I really want to forgive you!" or "I really want you to forgive me!"?

- When Kaworu revealed to Shinji what happened to Tokyo-3, what were his words about Shinji's responsibility : "You were the cause of everything" or "You were the key to everything"? For reference, the phrase he says just before is "Ikari Shinji-kun, once Awakened, Eva-01 opened the Door of Guf and became the trigger for Third Impact. Lilin call it Near Third Impact.

- Just before Asuka's Eva falls out of battery, what was what she screamed to Shinji "Go down, bratty Shinji!" or "Shut-up and die, bratty Shinji!"

- When Mari talked to Rei Q, what did she said about the ADAM's Vessel :"You should get out of there before you turn into an Adams' Vessel." or "You should get out of there before you gets absorbed by the Adams' Vessel."?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 am

View Original PostJimbob wrote:Audience reactions were recorded and will be added as bonus features in the 3.33 Blue Ray release.

That's the greatest thing I ever heard Funimation doing. Will it be on the DVD as well? I already have the Japanese blu-ray, so I'll probably only pick up the Funi DVD for its translated booklet as well as ripping the movie with subs for my iTunes library. (I can't seem to get my ripped BD from Japan to use subtitles outside of VLC.)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 am

So, basically, only Misato's VA took the job seriously?

...murrica...
And here I'd been having high hopes because 2.0 was rendered halfway decent.

I guess it was to be expected, I had already mentally prepared myself for the gratitous showed-in swearing, all this is just most typical. I guess it's harder to me to just shrug it off because it's EVA, and because this will heavily color the perception millions of people will have of this already controversial, complicated movie.
I've never been able to figure out wether it's the nations's huge machismo that has something against sutblety and emotional involvement and thus needs to turn everything into a joke, or wether the dub people simply have a tendency to (probably unjustifiedly) assume their audience has the brains of six-year olds and needs clear definitions/directions on who to cheer for.

See also "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", because apparently, no murrican would ever but something with the word 'philosopher' on it

Considering that the whole of the original film was crafted in a manner to squeeze you into Shinji's PoV wether you wanted or not, right up until he's climbing Lillith. - Wether you believe that this is a trap the smart viewer should see through or not, it's something that a faithful adaptation should not have messed with.

I didn't even consider Mari's speech as a point that could be easily tweaked one way or the other, but given her choice of words (That was probably more of a symptom of that usual "dissonance" about her) and what the murricans would probably like to do with it...

Really, turning it into something that makes people laugh their butts off is the worst they could have done with that movie - It's no laughing matter.

I'm just hoping the German dub cast will be a bit more respectful with the source material, though they generally at least try to do it properly, if it's not RTLII/Panini.
A few of the ppl new to Rebuild were a little sub-par, but seemed to be getting the hang of it towards the later parts... I just hope Asuka's VA will be able to muster enough... bite, parts of 2.0 were somewhat superficial/floppy.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:04 am

Well, I generally don't watch alternative dubs anyway. I went to film school, and watched German movies in German, French movies in French, English movies in English, so I watch Japanese movies in Japanese.

But the audience reaction video looks like it would be good for laughs.

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:11 am

Yeah, that sounds like an awful viewing experience. Super obnoxious.

Very sad to hear about the toned up gay overtones, and them trying to not make Shinji seem as sympathetic.

I love the English cast, and can't wait to see it just so I can pass judgement on it myself. Part of me is glad I've seen this very subtle complicated movie as intended the first time.

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:00 am

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:Very sad to hear about the toned up gay overtones, and them trying to not make Shinji seem as sympathetic.

Slightly side track, but the whole "gay" think with Shinji and Kaworu (Kawoshin or whatever) blows my mind. I mean sure the undertones are there, but why do so few people get that when Kaworu says he "loves" Shinji, he doesn't mean he want's to [insert graphic fan draw picture here]?!

Anyway, I must've been completely asleep the past how ever long because despite keeping track on these forums every day I only just found out about the dub on Reddit 5 minutes ago. As far as I was concerned it was still "a while off". Makes me feel kind of stupid really.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”