[3.33] Things you noticed

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:21 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Yes, both Shinji and Kaworu have a marking on the back of their plugsuit : Kaworu is uppercase alpha("Α") and Shinji is lowercase alpha("α").
You have the same a similar marking on their entry plug and pilot seat : "13Α" on Kaworu's and "13α" on Shinji's.

I was talking about Asuka's plug suit, knew well ahead about Shinji and Kaworu.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:02 am

Oh, my bad!

Are you sure it's not just the "2" on the back of her plugsuit?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Those are hammer toes. They are a fairly common deformity caused by tight fitting shoes. Or were before shoe shops adopted a policy of not selling undersized children's shoes. It's an involuntary curl.

There's simply no reason for Shinji to be shown to have hammer toes; but plenty for him to be tense, which could also lead to curling his toes as much as his fingers - so I'll go with that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 am

Looking again at the image, Shinji's heels aren't touching the ground, he's is actually on tiptoe even while seating, which is a known sign of stress and tension.

So yeah, I think that it's "just" that Shinji is very tense in this scene(with good reasons!)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh, my bad!

Are you sure it's not just the "2" on the back of her plugsuit?

No it isn't, when she grabs Shinji's wrist and begin to walk off in the distance, her hair is swaying left and right exposing a symbol (or just general design) of Upsilon from the Greek alphabet. I think 02 is displayed further down below the symbol on her lower spine. Also Upsilon looks a Y, so when you look at her back, you'll see the symbol. To which I also think the symbol is back to front, Upsilon being the 20th letter in the Greek alphabet, so reverse that symbol you might get the number 02 out of it.
I watch and speculate.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:37 am

To me the symbol on her back looked like "2." It was too blurry, so i can't tell for sure. :/

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:31 am

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:No it isn't, when she grabs Shinji's wrist and begin to walk off in the distance, her hair is swaying left and right exposing a symbol (or just general design) of Upsilon from the Greek alphabet. I think 02 is displayed further down below the symbol on her lower spine. Also Upsilon looks a Y, so when you look at her back, you'll see the symbol. To which I also think the symbol is back to front, Upsilon being the 20th letter in the Greek alphabet, so reverse that symbol you might get the number 02 out of it.

Oh, I think I get it, on the back of every plugsuit you have a triangular protuberance between the shoulder blades, and Asuka's have a black lining around it, giving the impression that it's a Y :
SPOILER: Show
Look at the image on the bottom right :

Mari has the same too :
Same thing, on the bottom right :

It's just the design of the plugsuit.

Mori-kun
Embryo

Postby Mori-kun » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 am

[A discussion resulting from the first bullet point below was offloaded to its own topic here. All further replies go in that topic, not this one. - Monk]

• Asuka tore the hatch off Shinji's entry plug after N4I with brute force (her possibly having superhuman strength is hinted at here as well as in the Mark.09 invasion scene).

• A multitude of massive, white (the colour of 4.0, the colour of death in Asian symbolism) crosses are visible on the horizon when the Wunder is last seen (a change from the red crosses in the area).

• There's a few notes stuck on Kitakami's interface screen in the Wunder cockpit (a reference to Naoko's notes in the Magi or how inexperienced certain members of Wille are?)

• Mari doesn't leave her entry plug at any point in the film, and does leisurely things (as has been mentioned ITT) as though she needs to be in there all the time (recurrent theme of sexually desirable characters being made less human or less approachable in general is my 2c speculah).

• The RS hoppers seem to be based on jellyfish, specifically at the point of a jellyfish's life cycle right after strobilation.
[size=59]"Die Dood staan voor die deur

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Sorry for the off-topic questions the other day. I hope this belongs in this thread.
One of the things I like the most about Evangelion is that Shinji is Anno´s self insert. So noticing this made me very happy. In the video in which Anno goes to his school he tells the children to create a documentary about his life, and they discover that Anno liked watchig the stars. As does Shinji, like we discover in the scene in which he does this with Kaworu. I really love details like this one:
http://kuribo4indahouse.tumblr.com/post/51963075993/shinji-kun-is-the-current-me
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 am

That certainly explains the *actual constellations* and geographically correct moon.

A discussion in another thread already yielded that Asuka & Rei got his hobbies of Reading & Diving/Swimming from the man himself as well XD

Another thing:
Remember back when 1.11 was basically a game of "spot what's different"?
Well, a few differences do include:

Pre-Shamshel: "Why am I doing this? People hate me because of this!" Referencing Touji's punch.

After being barbecued: "...and If I lose, everyone will hate me, if I'm even alive at all..."

Back then, it looked like elaboration on Shinji's usual angst, but it looks a lot harsher considering Rebuild!Shinji actually DID blow it, and people actually DID blame him.

...and it was worse than he imagined.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
A discussion in another thread already yielded that Asuka & Rei got his hobbies of Reading & Diving/Swimming

Could you provide the link please? (If you remember, of course.)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jurrasic » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:58 pm

strobilation.

Now THERE'S a word I want to start using in everyday conversations! :devil:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:16 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Could you provide the link please? (If you remember, of course.)

Here. Second Paragraph and the quote above. Enjoy.

Either way, knowing where he got it from should definitely spell RIP for that theory that that particular hobby's supposed to make Shinji look like an asshole.

[Resulting conversation became its own thread, "Shinji's love of astronomy: sign of an asshole?". - Monk]
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sherbert
Embryo

Postby Sherbert » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:28 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Looking again at the image, Shinji's heels aren't touching the ground, he's is actually on tiptoe even while seating, which is a known sign of stress and tension.

So yeah, I think that it's "just" that Shinji is very tense in this scene(with good reasons!)

I recall that one scene right after the insane battle with Wunder against those Nemesis Series Units. We're shown Shinji quietly looking outside one of Wunder's circular windows. Shinji probably watched the ENTIRE fight go down. A giant space battleship, anti-gravity, weird angel-like machines coming out of the ocean, the ship going a full 90 degree rotation in mid-air, etc, etc.

I'm sure if we were shown a close up of Shinji's face during that scene he'd have that generic wide-eyed, contracted pupil, horrified looking anime face. -o-;

Also, I noticed that the song Tout est Perplexe, which is Kaworu's death theme is eerily similar to Tchaikovsky's "Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet".

Here's a link to a video showing the more well known piece from the composition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHvnMi9_9mM

And here's a link to Tout est Perplexe. Beginning at 2:50 in the video and onward is where it bares the most resemblance to Tchaikovsky's piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91mpqLx5nP0

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 am

View Original PostSherbert wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHvnMi9_9mM

And here's a link to Tout est Perplexe. Beginning at 2:50 in the video and onward is where it bares the most resemblance to Tchaikovsky's piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91mpqLx5nP0

Yeah, I remember listening to this with a friend of mined and we both agreed that movie score hadn't been written and arranged quite like this since the 1930's or 1940's, which was still mostly influenced by the works of Peter Tchaikovsky from the late 1880's. (Unless you were Aaron Copland, and influencing the classic musical aesthetics of North America.)

It's easy to see why Shiro chose this musical sound for his theme in 3.0: It needed to be big, sweeping, and very romantic; everything Tchaikovsky's music was!

Sherbert
Embryo

Postby Sherbert » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:56 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It's easy to see why Shiro chose this musical sound for his theme in 3.0: It needed to be big, sweeping, and very romantic; everything Tchaikovsky's music was!

Defenitely. I remember listening to 3.0's OST after I had finished watching the film, knowing I had heard music very similar to those shown in the movie before. I just couldn't put a finger on where exactly I had heard them.

And I absoultely agree, almost the entire OST for 3.0 is exactly that, big and sweeping.

On a side note, I never really did realize how much Copland went on to influence the musical style of America at the time. Seems he also composed the entire musical scores for two of Steinbecks's movie adaptations. Crazy stuff.

thegoodson
Adam

Postby thegoodson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 pm

[First part of post was moved here as part of split. - Monk]

I forgot that I typed this up a while ago so I'll post it now

Some observations on the differences between these two encounters between Asuka and Rei

In terms of body language, Rei’s essentially standing the exact same way, where as 2.22 Asuka is posing defiantly after just killing the Angel. It’s a nice visual precursor to how she’ll interact competitively with Rei in the film while Rei remains indifferent. I include the faces at the bottom to show what I think is the main difference between the two interactions.

In the 3.33 Asuka speaks to her almost casually, asking if she’s from an early batch of Ayanami types. The way she says it, she’s expecting Rei to be aware of her status and lets out a sigh when she doesn’t respond. Its partially because not only does she have to drag around comatose Shinji, but will also have one more clueless person in tow.

But I also think Asuka, in contrast to the opening of 2.22, pities Rei in this instance. Her silence tells her a lot about what she doesn’t know. Rei is no longer someone to compete with for recognition, but some poor girl who’s getting cloned a lot and being kept in the dark.

I wonder too how I will read this scene differently if Asuka, similarly to Rei, ends up being a clone-able person. A recent post in another thread where Yuko said there was a secret reasoning behind the name change makes me wonder if this will actually come to be true. Granted I think we’ll be working with the one same Asuka the whole time (the missing eye, plus they went through a lot of trouble to keep her alive, but they also did that with Rei).

I think the Ayanami types line leaves the door open for their being other types (Shikinami, Makinami, ya feel me?) as well. If Asuka does end up being a clone like Rei, I could see it being interesting in two ways. One is that it will give her a new way to relate to Rei. If Asuka became aware at some point in the 14 years that there were clone bodies of her at the ready in case she snuffed it, she’d recognize herself to a degree in Rei Q's not knowing about the clones. Also, holy shit can you imagine finding that out? I picture it like the truth about the Ayanami types getting out, and Asuka wondering from there "Could I...?", then having it confirmed to her horror. Living with the typical clone questions of "Do I matter?" "Am I the original?" would embitter anyone.
It would also make the “Do what you want to do!” line more resonant since she has been in Rei’s position before.

It would also give an interesting new spin to her “one life is expendable” attitude, namely that its probably a surface way of coping with the idea that she’s replaceable. Maybe since Shinji is going to have to learn to not let his emotions carry him away and act selfishly (I assume), Asuka will learn that she as an individual does matter outside of the function she serves for Wille. Or something.

One last note about the picture I posted: despite how much of a downer that last scene is in 3.33, I found it kind of funny that solemn, hangdog Shinji kinda lines up visually with the Misato's wrecked car in the 2.22 pic.

Sunface
Embryo

Postby Sunface » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Maybe it's just me and I apologize if its been noticed before but when Shinji first sees Mr. Nagisa playing the piano... does anybody else see a connection with the moon coffins and the patches of grass in the piano room? I don't remember how many coffins there were in 1.0 but there seems to be 11 patches of grass with a tree growing out of one of them. Which coffin did Kaworu rise from again?
Don't show off. Show up.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Thread surgery complete. The following parts from posts that were split out were germane to this topic:

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
Tschaikowski

Ah, and here I thought the tanabata thing was laying it on thick XD

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original PostSunface wrote:Maybe it's just me and I apologize if its been noticed before but when Shinji first sees Mr. Nagisa playing the piano... does anybody else see a connection with the moon coffins and the patches of grass in the piano room? I don't remember how many coffins there were in 1.0 but there seems to be 11 patches of grass with a tree growing out of one of them. Which coffin did Kaworu rise from again?

There where nine coffins in the Moon(at least nine that we can see), and Kaworu rose from the fifth starting from the left :
[wkimg]File:Explanation of 1-01 257.jpg[/wkimg]

So I don't think that there is a symbolic connection with the eleven patches of grass.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

cloudxsolder
Adam

Postby cloudxsolder » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:27 am

Im very sorry to continually ask questions that have no doubt been answered long ago.

regarding that huge red entry plug looking thing thats on the back of one the air craft cariers in the nemisis vs wunder scene: Why do people say its holding unit 01? Or was it just... empty... and had been used to transport it. Is this information coming from the script?

Is anyone making an FAQ on this film? Even if the answer is "3 possible speculations are: blah blah"
Would be very neat!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”