[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.33 on Blu-ray and DVD April 24th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm not sure my parents would have one yet, but I bought them both of theirs :uhh:
I also bought a new TV yesterday knowing that this was showing up this week, no more 23" computer monitor to watch stuff on.

sephiros
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sephiros » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't have a BD player, it was either $80 for a BD drive or like $10 for a DVD drive. That being said, I don't think anyone buys the DVDs anymore, because you can get better quality downloading a BD rip than watching the DVD. My 1920x1080 BD rip is 4.3 Gb, and that doesn't include any of the extra stuff that would be on the disc.
Godzilla never had an AT Field!!
You dumbass, what the hell else do you think I'm talking about? We're gonna combine!!
If the demon is truly big, then we are no match for it. It's irrational. It's impossible. It's against my religion.
Your victory was a Deus Ex Machina, ergo that cake is a lie!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:16 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I'm not seeing any blue motor-scooter, but I do got a nice view of a blue van under a tree. Nice place you got there Nuke....

That picture is really, really old. See that tree? It fell on the van. The tree was subsequently removed.

Picture has been updated to remove address. Now stop stalking Nuke. ;)

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Yes! I finally got my copy today (completely unexpected) and I cannot stress how gorgeous it looks on my 720 HDTV! It's going to be a while before I watch the movie in its entirety but my God! The difference between the Blu Ray and the (shitty) camrip, which I now officially wipe my ass with, is absolutely unbelievable! Yeah, I can't think of any better way to describe it but that basically the camrip looks like utter shit compared to BD. Camrips in general suck, actually. It ALMOST makes me want to wait for the BD release of Evangelion 4.0, well, almost.

I'm shocked how Reichu got so much out of it considering how one can barely make out the visuals.

:uhh:
Last edited by Rei IV on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Yeah, I can't think of any better way to describe it but that basically the camrip looks like utter shit compared to BD.

Amen to that! :cheers:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I'm shocked how Reichu got so much out of it considering how one can barely make out the visuals.

True 'nuff. A lot of the stuff that people are only just noticing in the BD, I already saw in the camrip. I've counted only two instances where I was merely "seeing things" so far. I'm pretty good at working with totally shitty sources, I guess!

Can't wait till my copy of the Blu-ray arrives; it's been shipped along with Groundwork of 2.0, Vol. 1. Really makes me lament that I can't play BDs on my laptop (wouldn't be able to handle them even if I had a drive).

EDIT: Yay! It arrived moments after I typed my post! :lol:
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:40 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Can't wait till my copy of the Blu-ray arrives; it's been shipped along with Groundwork of 2.0, Vol. 1. Really makes me lament that I can't play BDs on my laptop (wouldn't be able to handle them even if I had a drive).

Are you sure? The minimum specs for this external drive don't look very high.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:46 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Are you sure? The minimum specs for this external drive don't look very high.

I'll have to look later, but I do know my computer can't even run 1080p files. Would it be able to run the actual BD?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:52 pm

It depends whether the limit is your processor or the video memory. 1080p fansubs will be much more highly compressed than the actual BD files, and it's the compression that demands processing power.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'll have to look later, but I do know my computer can't even run 1080p files. Would it be able to run the actual BD?

I'd have to do some research myself, but I believe that the drive or your computer downgrades the quality of the video to a level that the computer can handle. The highest resolution my laptop can comfortably run is 720p, and even that manages to stress it sometimes. The 720p Rebuild rips I have both say "BluRay" in the filename, so I'm assuming that it's possible to get 720p video directly out of a BluRay.

Would someone more experienced like to contribute here? :lol:
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:The 720p Rebuild rips I have both say "BluRay" in the filename, so I'm assuming that it's possible to get 720p video directly out of a BluRay.

They're sourced from the BD but downsized to 720p. Talking about the Blu Ray, curiously enough the frame rate of Q is true film, 24 fps, rather than usual 23.976.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:They're sourced from the BD but downsized to 720p.

I understood that much; what I was wondering is whether or not a computer can do that downsizing in real time as it plays the video.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:45 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I'd have to do some research myself, but I believe that the drive or your computer downgrades the quality of the video to a level that the computer can handle.

No, in order to "downgrade" the quality, you have to decode the frame(s) first, by then, you've done all the work so there's no "downgrade". The best thing players can do is to drop frames, as in: I give up because I'm lagging behind, let's skip ahead and start decoding an I-frame further along so that the video won't go out of sync with the audio.

You can "downgrade" the video by re-encoding the entire thing to a lower resolution, or to something that's less CPU intensive (x264 with fewer options). But why bother when someone else has already done that?

The highest resolution my laptop can comfortably run is 720p, and even that manages to stress it sometimes. The 720p Rebuild rips I have both say "BluRay" in the filename, so I'm assuming that it's possible to get 720p video directly out of a BluRay.

The original video on a BD file is high bitrate and the full resolution. It's less compressed so hardware players (that don't have as much CPU/GPU processing power as a quadcore I7 has) can play BD's without any problem. Eventhough it's the same compression codec, these x264/h264/avc things you see in filenames (which are codecs, not file extensions or stream wrappers), it's compressed much more aggressively, and x264/h264/avc is very CPU intensive to decode, and even more to encode if you're trying to squeeze out every byte you can save from the final video stream. The result is more compression for a better looking compressed video.

None of this has anything to do with where you store the file, unless you're storing it on a networked file server that's connected via a slow interface (10Base-T or A wireless or something).
Last edited by Ornette on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'll have to look later, but I do know my computer can't even run 1080p files. Would it be able to run the actual BD?

Are you sure it isn't a problem with the player? I used to think my laptop couldn't handle high-res files because my media player classic kept chopping them, but then I installed the combined community codec pack and now they run smooth.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Ornette. It cleared up quite a few things for me.

@A.T. Fish I've been using VLC on my computer for a while, but a few days ago I tried out MPC-HC and compared the two. For some reason MPC seemed to shrink my videos vertically on default settings. I'll check if installing CCCP fixes this problem somehow.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there no way to set my computer or TV settings to play the BD not in widescreen format (without the black lines)? Some trailers in the extra's section on the disc are in fullscreen--and honestly, I think the film looks better that way. And on a slightly different note, is it possible that the english release by Funi will fix the problem, or is there no way for them to change the format and encoding?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there no way to set my computer or TV settings to play the BD not in widescreen format (without the black lines)? Some trailers in the extra's section on the disc are in fullscreen--and honestly, I think the film looks better that way. And on a slightly different note, is it possible that the english release by Funi will fix the problem, or is there no way for them to change the format and encoding?

Since the movie was filmed in 2.35:1, you would either have to stretch it out or cut off the sides a bit in order for it to fit on a 16:9 widescreen monitor. Some of the raws that are currently available have the black lines removed, but I don't think it changes anything when viewing them in full-screen.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 pm

^Yes, this. Movies are usually shot in 1.85:1 apect ratio. What we refer to as "16:9" is actually 1.78:1, which isn't as wide as 1.85:1. (The larger the numbers in front of the colon, the wider the frame is, resulting in "black bars" where there's empty space on the screen.) since the difference between 1.85:1 and 1.78:1 is so small, filmmakers aren't as worried to either crop the sides off a bit for a 16:9 release or simply leave it unaltered with very thin "black bars" filling the empty space. But when a movie is shot at 2.35:1, the image is so wide that cropping off the sides to fit 1.78:1 would result in removing too much information in the movie. Entire faces could be cropped off if they did that. So they just leave it at 2.35:1 and let the "black bars" fill the gaps between the top and bottom of the frame and the top and bottom of the 16:9 TV screen.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

So I guess you'd need something like this to view the movie in its full cinema-quality glory. :lol:
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh okay I see. That was an extensive explanation lol :kensuke_sad:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”