Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Preliminary test show you people are not crazy, there's Angel Sealing runes in there.

SPOILER: Show

PNG screencap, straight from BD itself to avoid as much artifacting as possible.
Thrown into photoshop, 200% resize and minor contrast adjustment.
WE CSI NOW

The glow in that scene is actually very brief, and the glyphs change every one or two frames.

Glyphs thread with the CRC scan http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14278/

What the hell is going on...? :bigeyes:
Anno even expected that people would see this. :clap:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 am

So, are the anti-angel runes protection against angel intrusion because of some vulnerability (damage from Bardiel, perhaps), or patching to seal in angel contamination...?

What would angel contamination even mean - presumably it's not being suggested that Asuka contains a full-on angel, is it? They're supposed to be done with now, aren't they?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:What the hell is going on...? :bigeyes:
Anno even expected that people would see this. :clap:

Okay, seriously? What the hell is with these glyphs? They're everywhere. If there isn't an answer to all of this crap in the fourth movie, I'll be pissed.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 am

Well there's two possibilities:

1. NERV/SEELE/WILLE just puts them EVERYWHERE just to be safe.
2. Anno and friends put them everywhere because they look pretty damn cool and fuck with out heads.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:02 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Preliminary test show you people are not crazy, there's Angel Sealing runes in there.

PNG screencap, straight from BD itself to avoid as much artifacting as possible.
WE CSI NOW

The glow in that scene is actually very brief, and the glyphs change every one or two frames.

:jawdrop:
OK, Blu-Rays are actually THAT good!
Maybe the runes are intertwined with the fabric of the eyepatch, and serves to contain the power of whatever she has inside that eye. It's a little like in the manga Bleach, with the eyepatch of Zaraki Kempachi which seals part of his power to make fights more interesting.
Maybe in this case the runes serves to contain the angelic energy so she won't set every alarms of the ship with a pattern blue.

Or maybe that's her own Deification Shutdown System : the DSS Eyepatch, which will drive a big energy stake through her eye if she awakens EVA-02! :bigeyes:

But still, everytime these runes appears, they are tied to Angels : the sealing pillars in Bethany, the runes inside the DSS Choker(which was initially created for Kaworu, an Angel) and now this eyepatch... does that confirm that some angelic funk is at work with Asuka?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 am

WE CSI NOW

This is starting to get really, really creepy.. and confusing..

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 am

Nice catch, TMBountyHunter! So Asuka definitely has some connection to the Angels...Maybe the eyepatch is meant to seal the contamination and prevent it from spreading?

As for the Angels being done for, we never found out what happened to the Eleventh, did we (although it's probably dead. probably.)
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:09 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:As for the Angels being done for, we never found out what happened to the Eleventh, did we (although it's probably dead. probably.)

I would assume so, since Mari refers to defeating "the final angel". They probably knocked the 11th out of action a while back.

@ Topic

Bardiel is obviously dead, which makes me wonder how Asuka's eye could still be connected to it.

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I would assume so, since Mari refers to defeating "the final angel". They probably knocked the 11th out of action a while back.

Besides that, by defeating the last angel, we don't know what kind of evil will come out

Not to drag this off topic, but a quick note that perhaps this hints that by defeating the "last angel" something bad would happen to Asuka in particular. Just sayin'!

I'm 90% sure there's some sort of angel-eye behind the eyepatch. Either the eyeball itself, or the skin around the eyeball. Either way, something funky is behind that eyepatch. Now we just need to decode the moon-runes.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Thoughs?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

jackysee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jackysee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 pm

WE CSI NOW

wow that's impressive~
I wish that I could turn back time
You can (not) redo

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:15 pm

nice find! the glyphs definitely seem to figure into the question over Asuka's eye. Just a thought here, but Asuka's eyepatch reminds me of EoE's final scene, where Asuka glances down at Shinji with contempt. Maybe this eyepatch in Eva Q is a subtle reference to the events of EoE? (sequel/prequel theories, I think Evageeks have discussed this in depth)

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:17 am

Oh gods. They're sealing something in Asuka's eye!

Shinji's gonna end up having to kill Asuka too, I just know it! Image

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 am

View Original Postpalerider1911 wrote:Oh gods. They're sealing something in Asuka's eye!

Shinji's gonna end up having to kill Asuka too, I just know it! Image

One of the troll spoilers for this movie had that happening. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 am

Has anyone seen the Making Of from the dvd/Blu-ray?

I can't take screenshots, because I have no Blu-ray drive in my computer and just a Blu-ray player on my tv. In the Making Of you can see the animation of the Asuka-Eye-Scene and to me, it looks like some kind of little "explosion" behind her eyepatch... very flame-like.

//nvm, got it:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 am

Ritsuko said she was clear of all Angel infection in 2.0, so I don't think she's possessed or anything like that. However, I am wondering if her contamination might have left her with some kind of residual abilities or something. The blue glow/flash/explosion reminds me of the flash Sachiel/Zeruel used when shooting their crossplosion beams. Maybe Asuka really does have a laser eye under there :lol:

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Ritsuko said she was clear of all Angel infection in 2.0, so I don't think she's possessed or anything like that.

Ritsuko never actually says Asuka is free of contamination, she just says that "The cellular erosion has dissipated". Additionally, she goes on to say "We cannot rule out the possibility of mental contamination from the Angel". So she never actually denies that some of Bardiel's biomass may remain in Asuka (only that it has stopped eroding Asuka's cells) and Bardiel may have affected Asuka's mind in some way. She also says Asuka's body is "a valuable sample", implying contact with Bardiel has changed Asuka in some way and Nerv wants to research that change.

Additionally, Asuka is surrounding by Angel-sealing hex pillars throughout that whole scene, so they were definitely expecting something Angelic to emerge from Asuka and were trying to contain it. The background noise during that scene is also really weird, although I can't tell if that's because of Asuka or the hex pillars.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed May 01, 2013 12:37 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Ritsuko never actually says Asuka is free of contamination, she just says that "The cellular erosion has dissipated". Additionally, she goes on to say "We cannot rule out the possibility of mental contamination from the Angel". So she never actually denies that some of Bardiel's biomass may remain in Asuka (only that it has stopped eroding Asuka's cells) and Bardiel may have affected Asuka's mind in some way. She also says Asuka's body is "a valuable sample", implying contact with Bardiel has changed Asuka in some way and Nerv wants to research that change.

Additionally, Asuka is surrounding by Angel-sealing hex pillars throughout that whole scene, so they were definitely expecting something Angelic to emerge from Asuka and were trying to contain it. The background noise during that scene is also really weird, although I can't tell if that's because of Asuka or the hex pillars.

Oh, that's right, my bad. I was thinking of a fansubbed version I watched where she says "all traces of biological contamination have disappeared," or something like that -o-;

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Oh, that's right, my bad. I was thinking of a fansubbed version I watched where she says "all traces of biological contamination have disappeared," or something like that -o-;

Actually, I have the official French commercial BD and it says the same thing : that every traces of physiological contamination have disappeared, but that there is the risks that her spirit has been infiltrated.
But I admit that the French official are really shitty, some sentences are written as the contrary of their actual meaning(for example Misato thanks Asuka to have accepted her proposition to pilot EVA-03, while it's the contrary, it's Asuka who volunteered and asked Misato), and in some case just plain don't make any sense : in the final scene of 1.0 when Kaworu is talking with Kheel on the moon, the latter says something like they're "moving from the apocryphic's scriptures to the scroll of <something I don't remember>"... WHAT. THE. FUCK! :irked:

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Wed May 01, 2013 4:00 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Ritsuko said she was clear of all Angel infection in 2.0, so I don't think she's possessed or anything like that. However, I am wondering if her contamination might have left her with some kind of residual abilities or something. The blue glow/flash/explosion reminds me of the flash Sachiel/Zeruel used when shooting their crossplosion beams. Maybe Asuka really does have a laser eye under there :lol:

The blue goo that Mark.09 uses to hack the AAA wunder is very similar to the goo that's keeping the entry plug of Unit-03 from ejecting.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”