Eva Unit Format(s) and Name Meaning Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:50 pm

It's the same "cable" that Shinji used in the original series (Ep. 24) when he went to kill Kaworu after he took the control of Unit-02.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:49 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:It's the same "cable" that Shinji used in the original series (Ep. 24) when he went to kill Kaworu after he took the control of Unit-02.

Was he using a cable? Because a while back I was discussing ATF levitation with someone and watched Ep.24 again to see if Eva-01 was attached to anything during its descent to Dogma, and it looked like it was using ATF levitation to float (at least to me it did). At the very least, it looks like Eva-01 wasn't clinging onto the cable with its hands, seeing as it could lock hands and grapple with Eva-02 without falling to its doom.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Was he using a cable? Because a while back I was discussing ATF levitation with someone and watched Ep.24 again to see if Eva-01 was attached to anything during its descent to Dogma, and it looked like it was using ATF levitation to float (at least to me it did). At the very least, it looks like Eva-01 wasn't clinging onto the cable with its hands, seeing as it could lock hands and grapple with Eva-02 without falling to its doom.

I don't know for sure, but i think he used the "cable" for few seconds when he was descending to dogma.
You should look at the manga version of this: there, Shinji is clearly using the "cable."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Was he using a cable? Because a while back I was discussing ATF levitation with someone and watched Ep.24 again to see if Eva-01 was attached to anything during its descent to Dogma, and it looked like it was using ATF levitation to float (at least to me it did). At the very least, it looks like Eva-01 wasn't clinging onto the cable with its hands, seeing as it could lock hands and grapple with Eva-02 without falling to its doom.

I'm not sure how it was holding on to anything, but it was definitely being lowered. They show the sequence just before the Eva leaves Central Dogma.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I always assumed that, when the fighting began, Unit-01 was actually holding onto Unit-02 to support itself. It certainly isn't animated very clearly, whatever is going on. If you wanna take a leap, one could say Kaworu is also levitating Unit-01 during the fight, since he's not at all threatened by the whole thing and wants to converse with Shinji.

Mbryo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:11 am

Concerning the discussion a few pages back; both NGE's Adam and Lilith possess extremely powerful AT Field, the most powerful AT Fields known. They are never shown manifesting the ATFs in their original bodies, but Kaworu and Rei are both seen using them.

As to the weird 'Adam's vessel' thing, the 'core' is a 'vessel of the soul'. The fact that Mark.09 is referred to as an 'Adam's vessel' and the fact that it is a being composed purely of a single core suggests that Mark.09 is not an Adam by itself but is simply a core removed from the body of an Adam and modified into an Eva. (I can't guess how) Mari's statement that Rei may become an Adam's vessel possibly means that she may get fused into the core, in the same way the second Rei became a part of Zeruel's core in 2.0.
All of the Adams in the Second Impact possess a core. Perhaps Mark.09 originates from Lilith? the big scar on Lilith and the fact that she lacks a core may suggest that she had her core torn away from her. Then does this mean Lilith is actually one of the Adams?
FUS roh Duh.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 pm

So I guess there's another Eva to add to the list in the OP now, huh?

;)

Done and done.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 am

Will Mark.04 discussion be moved here or remain as part of the Nemesis Series thread?

And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:14 pm

That depends. I think we're currently in contention over whether it's an Eva or not.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Will Mark.04 discussion be moved here or remain as part of the Nemesis Series thread?

In the 'Nemesis Series' thread...

Its inclusion here is really more for completion's sake at this stage.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

hwdge
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hwdge » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Also, can anyone explain this weird mask thing on 09's chest

SPOILER: Show
[/spoiler]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original Posthwdge wrote:Also, can anyone explain this weird mask thing on 09's chest

It's a plate that protects the core (notwithstanding that Mark.09 is, or at least BECOMES, a full-body core). Angel face with Seele's (NGE) symbol on it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

hwdge
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hwdge » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's a plate that protects the core (notwithstanding that Mark.09 is, or at least BECOMES, a full-body core). Angel face with Seele's (NGE) symbol on it.

Does it imply that it's an angel or something though?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It would be interesting if, through death, Kaworu merged with 13 and become its soul, and through Eva-13 meets Shinji again.

For some reason this generated an image in my head of the 4-armed 13 and Shogouki hugging which I found more amusing than it probably should be.

They were definitely deliberate in showing 13 fall and bounce back seemingly intact after hitting the ground so it should be coming back no problem.

EDIT: I just can't get over how awesome this hug would be
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:For some reason this generated an image in my head of the 4-armed 13 and Shogouki hugging which I found more amusing than it probably should be.

They were definitely deliberate in showing 13 fall and bounce back seemingly intact after hitting the ground so it should be coming back no problem.

Unless it died due to being Speared, I think we haven't come to a consensus over whether being Speared in the core is fatal in NME (although in EoE Eva 02 died after being Speared in the core).

And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:16 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Unless it died due to being Speared

Didn't seem to. After being Speared, the unit started to fall, but remained "powered on" until Shinji was ejected. It was able to keep the Door of Guf open, injure Eva-08's arms, and so forth. That strongly suggests that Eva-13 wasn't killed by the Spears, just disabled a little.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 am

Close-up of Eva-13's RS Hopper Units. They look pretty weird...not like anything seen in Q or elsewhere in the Eva universe.

And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:16 am

Strange, it looks like something Ramiel could turn into, but on a miniaturized and more mechanised form(oh the irony!)

Maybe it was made from data recuperated from the Ramiel fight, a chance they don't have the "Death Star LAZER" option! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 03, 2013 12:03 am

All this about 13 not having an atf... isn't that what they used to break through the lid? There's a brief hexagonal flash and a 'ping' noise before it starts falling apart, and doing so required S&K to pull of the synchro training deal. Perhaps 13 doesn't have an atf later because Kaworu isn't doing his part?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:All this about 13 not having an atf... isn't that what they used to break through the lid? There's a brief hexagonal flash and a 'ping' noise before it starts falling apart, and doing so required S&K to pull of the synchro training deal. Perhaps 13 doesn't have an atf later because Kaworu isn't doing his part?

I thought the exact same thing, although the field may just be coming from the dormant drones.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”