Capabilities of the Nemesis Series [Eva Mark.04]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

[SPOILERS] Capabilities of the Nemesis Series [Eva Mark.04]

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 pm

I think we should have a run-down of the abilities/weapons of the Nemesis Series in this thread, as well as theories about how they have such powers. I've only seen the fan-subbed 6-minute preview though, so if anyone has seen the movie, info about the ones that assault the Wunder would be appreciated.

EDIT: All Nemesis Series recently confirmed as collectively representing Evangelion Mark.04

So here are the abilities I know of so far (correct me if I'm wrong):

MARK 04A:
*A.T. Field-propelled flight, moves at high speeds while producing a screaming noise, leaving a trail. This allows it to fly in the vacuum of space.
*Anti-A.T. Field, used briefly when it rips through Unit-02's A.T. Field, after which Asuka identifies it as having an Anti-A.T. Field. (Though how it creates one in unknown).
*Energy blast from its front that damages Asuka's shield, forcing her to dispose of it. Deployed after taking down Unit-02's A.T. Field.
*Sniped by Mari; apparently the AT Fields of these units do not protect them from gunfire.

MARK 04B:
*Body composed of improbably long metal threads connected to a central hub containing the core. The core can move at high speeds along the threads, avoiding attacks.
*Forming its body into a ring (remininscent of Armisael), it creates a large amount of luminiscence and uses a cross-shaped white laser to blast Unit-02. It uses a "field-reflective coating" to allow its attacks to bypass an AT Field.
*Forming a shape similar to an atom (several rings surrounding the target), it showers Unit-02 with explosions.
Code 04B's core, shortly before it explodes.
*Its core block is lasered by Eva-01 and explodes into red liquid (LCL?). It then explodes in a cross-shaped explosion, with a rainbow.

Code 4C
*Possibly the largest Nemesis Series. Normally submerged underwater in a "cloaking cocoon" that seems to be made from its ATF. Its body resembles a much larger Code 4A with several core blocks and shoulder pylons, as well as Zeruel-esque textured tentacles.
*Confirmed to be protected by a "Potent AT Field".
*Attacks with "pillars of light" when submerged; these bizarre cross-shaped red pillars of energy vaporise anything they touch.
*When above water, they attempt to latch onto the Wunder's wings with their tentacles.
*Blasted to pieces by the Wunder's cannons and explode in several cross-shaped explosions.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 am, edited 12 times in total.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm

At 2:23 of the preview Mark 04A is actually identified by Unit 02's HUD as
"Phase Cocoon Shelter" for about one second. After that the description changes to "UNKNOWN". I guess it's the result of the A.T. Field being spread.

Wonder if that name means anything.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm

00:10:34 Pattern Blue. Target identified.
00:10:36 Code 4C. It's the Nemesis Series.
00:10:39 They're back...

00:13:13 We can't grasp the target's core block.
00:13:15 It is probably being concealed on the outside of a phased cocoon.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 am

Are there any instances where the Nemesis Series use A.T. Fields defensively, or do they only function as Mark 04A's propellant?

And I'm nothing like you

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 pm

So do the Nemesis series explode into blood when destroyed?
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Mark 04B's core turns to blood after being lasered (a few seconds after the image above) then explodes in a cross-shaped explosion. Not sure about 04A, as it gets taken out by Mari's sniper fire. Is it just me or does 04A look like it has two cores on its front, instead of one?

And I'm nothing like you

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote: Is it just me or does 04A look like it has two cores on its front, instead of one?

Yea it does, would having two cores benefit it in anyway? O.o I think they would interfere with each other.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 am

Stupid question I know but are we sure the entity from the 6 minute preview is one of the Nemesis series and not an angel? Looking at the translation the words "Nemesis Series" don't seem to be mentioned till the 10 minute mark, and that's referring to the second pattern blue entity they fight.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 am

I guess that the "Mark 04" classification should denote its non-Angelic nature.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 pm

The actual Japanese here is "Code" (as in Code 4A, 4B, 4C), not "Mark". I think using "Mark" is prone to cause confusion because of the "Mark" Evangelions.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hiten777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hiten777 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:59 pm

I was fixing to make a thread about this if there wasn't one already made, but happy I found this.

When I first saw the first 6 min intro, I thought that the Nemesis Series was an angel-type creation made by Seele since there was the whole unexplained situation with the 3rd angel being reduced to a skeleton. Since 2.0 talked about how people had been experimenting with the angel while it was comatose, I wondered if they had been planning to outfit it and make it into an Eva-like thing similar to how the Mark.06, assumed to be an Adam, was made into an eva.

I've read different sources about them, and some seem to put the Nemesis Series as part of the 11th angel, while others call them a defense mechanism in case someone tried to tamper with the tesseract.

So are the NS part of the angel classification, a creation to prevent Unit-01 from being regained, or are they just something by themselves? I still wonder about my earlier theory about Angel manipulation on Seele's part.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 am

I'm not sure if the Nemesis Series are actually parts of the Eleventh Angel, but they may incorporate Angel matter and the Code 4A ones excel in A.T. Field manipulation and can also generate small Anti-A.T. Fields. The Nemesis Series look pretty mechanical to me, but since Angels generally have weird physiology, they could be parts of the Eleventh or have parts from it.

By the way, is there any official artwork of the Nemesis Series yet? I couldn't find any in the artbook scans (T_T).

And I'm nothing like you

Mori-kun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mori-kun » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 am

It doesn't seem as though Code 04B is a true Angel. The screen in Asuka's plug reads "BloodTypeBLUE", not "BloodType=BLUE" nor "BloodType:BLUE", after the AT Field analysis of it finishes, with the obvious connotation being that the model is only an approximation of an Angel.

I don't think this is a mistake on anyone's part, Khara is meticulous in minor details.

This seems rather strange, at least to me, seeing as how Aoba explicitly refers to the Code 04A Units as having the blue blood type.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 pm

View Original PostMori-kun wrote: The screen in Asuka's plug reads "BloodTypeBLUE",

Interesting Tidbit. When that actual angel in the finale shows up, do the screens say "=" then?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mori-kun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mori-kun » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:42 am

When that actual angel in the finale shows up, do the screens say "=" then?

Well, they may as well have. It's "Blood Type : BLUE" for the 12th Angel.

SPOILER: Show

And for Kaworu, too.

SPOILER: Show

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:03 am

Interesting. By the way, do we ever get any clue how many Nemesis Series units there are? The way they've been described I thought Seele might have quite a few of them around, but since they don't deploy them to support Eva-13 and Mark.09 in the final battle I was wondering whether they were all destroyed by Unit-02, Unit-08 and the Wunder. Or waiting to make their return in Final.

And I'm nothing like you

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I noticed a few thing about this:

The operation to retrieve the tesseract is called: "Opertaion UA"

Asuka enters "Area 88" there's "Shift-M" attack begins with "reflective waves" that are "jamming" (communications??) at this point they are identified as the "auto-defense system's mass weapon", the waves produce 5 "burst flows"

2nd wave: blood type blue identified as "Mk. 04A" and there are 5 subjects, one of them attacks Unit-02 with an Anti-A.T. Field.

Asuka reflects it with Unit 02-Dash own A.T. Field

Mari snipes them (all 5) with Unit 08.

Asuka gets to the "Fraury Shift" and the "Final Defense Area 89"

Asuka catches the tesseract
is that red logo... nerv?

pattern analysis
blood typeblue

nerv logo??

It's Mk. 04B uses a light beam that bypasses A.T. field, affects Asuka's eyepatch

"core block" is this like a core cluster as in there are more than one core that form a block??

The tesseract (unit 01) is more important for Misato than unit 02.

unit 01, eye laser breaks through tesseract and kills Mk. 04B

Then after the quarantine scene inside the Wunder we get:

pattern blue
targets identified as Code 4C
Nemesis Series

Misato: "they are back"

Again they talk about capture target's "core block"

Now we see 4 pillars of light coming from bellow the water which turn into a grid around the Wunder and when Asuka deploys Unit-02 ATF the eyes show up... what is Asuka doing underwater anyway??

the Wunders launches, deploys an ATF that destroys the pillar grid with eyes thing.

From underwater some organic ribbon like things penetrate the Wunder's wings, I guess this is what they were saying about using the Wunder as a decoy to pull the core block from its phased cocoon.

The sea surface seem to have crystalised into an ATF??

The Wunder pulls out of the sea (phased cocoon) 4 cores, each core is hanging from the Wunder's wings using 2 ribbon-appendages, there are 2 cores hanging on each wing.

The Wunder rotates to crash the 4 cores together in a cluster and fires at them, the cores have an ATF that is destroyed by the Wunder's weapons and then they also blast the cores themselves.

Wunder, power to kill gods, ship of hope.

So WTF???

It seems that the 5 subjects identified as Mk. 04A, the Mk. 04B inside the tesseract and the 4 cores thing identified as Code 04C are all the same thing, part of the Nemesis Series?

The ones in space and the ones on earth, Misato even says they are back, probably referring to before, maybe there were more inside the tesseract and after they removed unit 01 and discarded? the tesseract on the sea it activated and that's way it came from below the sea??

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:13 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:The operation to retrieve the tesseract is called: "Opertaion UA"

It's probably "Yuuei Sakusen", which could be translated as "Operation Spacewalk".

2nd wave: blood type blue identified as "Mk. 04A"

Sounds like you're using the originally released subtitles, instead of the revised github version. The entities should be referred to as "Code 4A" and "Code 4B". Note sure why the translation "Mk." was used; since there are Eva units called "Mark", this is doomed to create confusion.

It seems that the 5 subjects identified as Mk. 04A, the Mk. 04B inside the tesseract and the 4 cores thing identified as Code 04C are all the same thing, part of the Nemesis Series?

It's unclear if 4A and 4B are part of the Nemesis Series. During Operation Spacewalk, Wille seemed to be avoiding the use of particular lingo, like actually referring to their Eva units by name, in what I'm guessing was an attempt to camouflage their operations, so they could have avoided mentioning the term "Nemesis Series" for this reason. Though, they didn't seem to have any problem throwing around highly specialized terms like "A.T. Field", "Anti-A.T. Field", and "Pattern Blue"...

Misato even says they are back, probably referring to before

Ritsuko mentions "retreating like we always do", suggesting that run-ins with the Code 4C Nemesis Series are a recurrent thing for Wille.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:28 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Sounds like you're using the originally released subtitles, instead of the revised github version.

Ritsuko mentions "retreating like we always do", suggesting that run-ins with the Code 4C Nemesis Series are a recurrent thing for Wille.
Am using the camprip that comes with the 7 minutes attached at the beginning, I thought it had the latest subs...

When I saw that line from Ritsuko I thought maybe she was referring to other angels in the time skip.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:Am using the camprip that comes with the 7 minutes attached at the beginning, I thought it had the latest subs...

Guess somebody ripped the subs out of the preview that was originally released so that they didn't have to redo the timing, and didn't update the translation.

When I saw that line from Ritsuko I thought maybe she was referring to other angels in the time skip.

It's an ambiguous line, to be sure. But the way Misato mutters "They're back..." when she hears about the Nemesis Series makes it sound like they've been giving her trouble for more than a couple of engagements.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”