DSS Choker

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Run Active Mode:
BIOMETRIC VERIFICATION

~...

RUN Active Mode
DETONATION FUNCTION

ACTIVE

~handed over to Misato

USR: M.KATSURAGI
RUN Active Mode /dedug /stat /time /con /q
BIOMETRIC VERIFICATION

CONFIRMED
These caught my attention, "RUN Active Mode: DETONATION FUNCTION: ACTIVE" so if Shinji tries to run away it automatically detonates, Ritsuko set it up to "DETONATION FUNCTION" and Misato changed it back to "BIOMETRIC VERIFICATION" so she has to authorize the detonation herself?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 pm

These are all just status messages indicating all the functions are working.

The 2nd Biometric Verification was the remote confirming the user is indeed Misato.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sherbert
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sherbert » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:12 am

What do you guys think of the DSS Choker having some sort of failsafe mechanism?

I bring this up because the choker started glowing red and making a humming sound when Kaworu removed it from Shinji's neck, almost as if it would have detonated if Kaworu removed his magical AT Field touch from it.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been brought up before, but could the DSS Choker have the power to pierce through AT Fields? The way those black needles started to slowly expand and circulate Kaworu's neck made it seem (to me) as if it was "charging" it's death shot. The choker did detect "the manifestation of the 13th angel", as Mari put it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm

I think that the red glowing and humming sound are made by the glyphs inside the collar : the shade of red and the sound are exactly similar to the ones of the Angel Sealing Pillars(you can distinctly hear the humming in 2.0 in Asuka's quarantine room when she was on intensive care, and in 3.0 when Shinji wakes up in the medical box coffin the Wunder after operation US.
It's probably tied to the "suppression function" of the DSS Choker : remember that it was originally made for Kaworu, an Angel, so having a function for suppressing his powers, like the Angel Sealing pillars, would be logical.

Which also ties with the big red murder sticks used to kill the wearer : I think to that it has the power to pierce an ATF, since the first logical thing an Angel would try to do is to raise the strongest ATF possible to stop them. Although I'm sure that the "red crystals" were supposed to charge fr more quickly, but that Kaworu slowed the process by what remained of his powers that weren't sealed.

Now the question is why WILLE though it necessary to use such a device on Shinji...
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:56 pm

Random thought: I am only one who thinks that such black/red crystals can be holographic representations and not physical things?
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 am

I still assume that they are holograms. Perhaps there's some reality to them, but the choker -- and especially the detonator-- appears to just use the same holographic technology seen throughout the films.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 am

Maybe the reason it took so long to detonate was because it wasn't supposed to explode automatically instead it required that Misato pressed the button?

Tie that to my previous post about Misato changing the "Detonation Function" to "Biometric Verification" and it makes more sense, even Misato's line: "Shinji-kun" just after Ritsuko told her they couldn't prosecute Eva-13 and Kaworu's head blowing afterward, maybe Misato saw herself forced to blow up Shinji (at least she still though it was still Shinji wearing the choker) to stop 4I.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 am

I really doubt that the DSS Choker don't have an automatic detonation function for when the wearer get past the point of no-return(i.e. when he awakes an Evangelion), and the "Biometric Verification" only appears once, when Ritsuko gives the remote to Misato, the most logical thing is that this function serves to verify who is handling the remote so it won't fall on wrong hands.

As for why it took so long to detonate, maybe it was Kaworu who postponed the detonation with his Angel Magic Hax, because if it really requires that Misato push the button, imagine that the Wunder was still limited to the sea or whatever other reason that would make the remote out of range with the Choker when Shinji pulled out the spears... and then what?
The wearer will launch an Impact with pretty glowing red crystals around his neck which won't do anything because the detonator is too far, that would make it the shittiest "physical insurance" ever!

Granted NERV has a track record of retarded security systems(Central Dogma unable to self-destructs because Zeruel nomed EVA-00 anyone?), but I hope that WILLE learned his lesson!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 am

If someone has pointed this out, please speak up.

I may have spoken about this in a previous thread (I don't recall and I can't be bothered checking) when is Misato is demanding/commanding Shinji to stay put she is pointing the Detonator at him, however the detonator function has not been activated and all you see is a blinking light on the hilt of the Detonator. Is Misato attempting to subdue Shinji's will by the using a function of the Choker (there is a function called SUPPRESSION)?

I'm only saying this because of what Mari says to Asuka "How was Pups, did he sit and obey?", that is causing a stir within me. Anyway, if what I say is true, and if the Choker was made for Kaworu in mind, I wonder what SEELE had made him do if they had succeeded in dominating his will to their whims?

This is speculation, add or destroy at your leisure.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't think there is any need for a screen to appear to show that the DSS Choker is armed, the blinking and her pointing the command at him pretty much tell us that with a push of her thumb Shinji's head get blasted.
The screen that appears just after Shinji escape, when Misato is hesitant on detonating the choker, only shows the status of the communication range between the choker and the command.

As for the SUPPRESSION function, I don't think it's for submitting his will, firstly such practices would immediately put WILLE in the villain territory, and secondly it's more probable that this function is to suppress any kind of angelic power Shinji, or whatever the hell he could be if he's not Shinji, could possess after his 14 years nap merged with a god.

Remember that the choker is made of multiple rows of Angel Sealing Hew Glyphs when Kaowru took it off from Shinji, the inside emitted the same red light and low humming that the Angel Sealing Hex Pillars, that mustn't be a coincidence.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:32 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I don't think there is any need for a screen to appear to show that the DSS Choker is armed, the blinking and her pointing the command at him pretty much tell us that with a push of her thumb Shinji's head get blasted.
The screen that appears just after Shinji escape, when Misato is hesitant on detonating the choker, only shows the status of the communication range between the choker and the command.

As for the SUPPRESSION function, I don't think it's for submitting his will, firstly such practices would immediately put WILLE in the villain territory, and secondly it's more probable that this function is to suppress any kind of angelic power Shinji, or whatever the hell he could be if he's not Shinji, could possess after his 14 years nap merged with a god.

Remember that the choker is made of multiple rows of Angel Sealing Hew Glyphs when Kaowru took it off from Shinji, the inside emitted the same red light and low humming that the Angel Sealing Hex Pillars, that mustn't be a coincidence.

Isn't Kaworu the Angel of free will, hence why I deduced that the Choker which was designed for him originally had a function to remove or supress his free will. As for the screen of the Detonator, when it's active it says "Detonation function active" with "Ready to use" on it, wouldn't that mean it's now ACTIVE? The screen comes online after Misato fails to persuade Shinji from leaving and Mari fails to stop the Mark.09 from taking off.

Also did anyone notice that the Choker begins to prime when Kaworu is detected as the 13th angel when EVA-13 is encased by the 12th angel? You notice this when Kaworu is lamenting this fact to Shinji. This is just before EVA-13 awakens so wouldn't that mean that the Choker is intended to stop the user from awakening?

On this note, I'm practically done with this topic, I just can't add anymore.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:20 am

I saw the scene when Misato is ordering Shinji to stay in the Wunder, and the yellow screen(probably meaning that the DETONATOR function is activated) is here, but bellow the command :
SPOILER: Show
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C0355.jpg[/wkimg]

So yes, she was ready to pull the trigger at the second Shinji called for "Rei", "symbol of their mistrust" indeed...

As for Kaworu being the Angel of Free Will, that's only true for NGE, and these roles are only symbolic, Ramiel was the "Angel of Thunder", yet you never saw him throw lightning bolts(only nasty lasers).
The "free will" part was only here to signify that thanks to the fact Kaworu is in a Lilin body, he's as bound by instinct as the other Angels are, but in NGE he was still fated to succumb to the "call" to fuse with the Seed of Life, only at a slower rate. If anyone suppress his free will the only thing that will happen is that Kaworu will go at full speed toward the nearest Seed of Life present while killing everyone between...

And about the choker, it began to prime because EVA-13 had just exploded its limiters and started to grow "wings" of core, meaning that it began the first phase of it's awakening, the pseudo-evolution. SO yeah, has you said it's a sign that the DSS Choker can activate automatically when an Eva is starting to awake(which is logical, it would be stupid to have an anti-awakening system only working if someone press a button), which is exactly the function Ritsuko said the choker had.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

DSS Choker tangent

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:19 am

[Merged from "Will Shinji Ever Find Love In The End?". - Monk]

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:My stance that Shinji is presented as regular kid in a unique place because the story demanded that it be so. My problem with the way Shinji is right now is that 3.33 made it seem like if he got into an eva he can trigger Impacts left right and center whereas none of the other pilots can (aside from Space Jesus Kaworu because he's an angel). It makes any of his wrong actions compounded in scope of consequence and punishes him unnecessarily. And since it's not part of the original premise I find that it is hard to buy into.

Well, WILLE certainly think that he can trigger Impacts if he get into an Eva, Sakura clearly said that the DSS Choker was here to stay. Now it could be that they are wrong and that only "specials" Evas can trigger Impacts(the fact Gendo and SEELE only use Evas made from ADAM or possibly from Lilith for EVA-01 support that theory), but until we got explanations about what is exactly an Impact Trigger and how exactly he can trigger one, we are kind of in the dark.

It's possible that Shinji started as a regular kid, but that his experiences inside EVA-01 at the end of 2.0 altered him into something else, for all we know, maybe Asuka and Mari are triggers too and have a DSS Choker under their plugsuit!
But whatever he was in the first two movies, in the third he clearly becomes someone "special", if not unique, and if only because he could be an asset for neo-NERV and should be kept closely monitored, and for whatever the hell WILLE think he did that warrant this "punishment".

No the point of FINAL will be to see if Shinji is still special and will have an influence in the endgame, or if now that none of the factions have any use of him he's back at being someone normal and the movie will be about him trying to put back his sanity in one piece while the final battle plays in the background.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:30 pm

If the DSS is standard issue for pilots, I hope they have another option other than "make the wearer's head explode"
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Seeing Misato's new motto and that the destruction of mankind is at stake if a pilot awake an Eva, I doubt it...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I can't see the chokers becoming standard issue, since they seem to suck at doing their job. It took an awful long time for Kaworu's choker to do its job once it activated, and it obviously didn't stop 4I. I imagine Wille will abandon them entirely given that precedent.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Remember that EVA-13 with its dual entry plug system was specifically built to counter the death of one of the pilots, and even being impaled by Spears of Longinus!

Actually the DSS Choker did perfectly its job : it sent an alert to WILLE when the wearer synchronized with an Eva, then another one when it detected the pattern from the wearer becoming an unknown pattern blue labeled as a 13th Angel, and finally when EVA-13's awakening began, it activated and killed its wearer before Instrumentality is launched, even if somehow Kaworu delayed the murder sticks to act or even if it's actually how much time the Choker take to charge.
And once Kaworu died, EVA-13 did powered down, enough to start to fall and be at EVA-08's range, letting Mari eject Shinji and stop 4I.

Now if said situation happened in a single entry plug, the Eva's awakening should have been stopped the second the pilot died, unless maybe if it's EVA-01 because of Yui's soul...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Actually the DSS Choker did perfectly its job :

Given the time it took between activation and detonation I can't agree.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Conspicuous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conspicuous » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:44 pm

An Impact doesn't seem to last beyond the exit/death of the pilot, though, except maybe through Lilith Interference.
And since Lilith had to die just to set this impact up, it doesn't seem like the a minute or five that it lasted could've been all that destructive.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:17 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Given the time it took between activation and detonation I can't agree.

We don't know if the time it took between activation and detonation was normal or Kaworu's doing via his powers, and if it's normal that it take so much time, the proper proper Impact take some time after the vortex is opened before its effect activate, so even if the DSS Choker take two minutes to activate, that's still in time to kill the wearer before the point of no-return.
Who knows, maybe Ritsuko settled the thing to take its time before detonating specifically for Shinji's DSS as a last chance for him to calm down if he lose control while piloting. Having a row of glowing red murder sticks starting rotating around your head can be an excellent way to bring him back to his senses, and if it's too late for the pilot to stop the ongoing Impact, well Kaboom.

But even if it's actually not efficient with Kaworu(a shame since it was built for him initially I know), for someone without AT Field Hax powers like any other pilot, that would be an excellent safeguard.
Or if everything else fails, Misato could just detonate it manually, that's it if she has the guts to do it...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”