Camrips Discussion Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Thanks so much, I can barely hold my excitement!

Me too! Fortunately my reaction seems to have been a mirror opposite of others, I'm practically walking on sunshine at the moment.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Will the subbed version be combined with the first six minutes for completeness?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

The original intent was to do that with what footage we had from the previous rips, and then just put a black screen or still image and use the audio from the audio rip in parts we were missing. Whether that's what happens or not I'm not sure.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Ok, I tried to fix the delay issue of the 390 MB mp4 file from Baidu, rather than uploading such a large file (for my ridiculous ADSL connection) I decided to make a patch, just extract the files and use xdelta UI (included in the archive) to apply it.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm

I can see where some people are coming from now when they say the movie makes no sense. There's almost zero continuity in the visuals between the end of 2.0 and 3.0. I find it hard to believe that stuff was there the whole time during Third Impact.
Take the Cell Games arena on the pillar. Where was that during TI? Did they build it? Why? Who designed the new Nerv logo? Does anyone even work for Nerv anymore, or is it like Aperture labs run by the Magi? How does a group like Wille even function in a world this messed up? The moon is a foot from the earth, spinning like a top with not even a comment of surprise.
It's like they took all the (copy-pasted) world building in 1.0, said "fuck that", but didn't bother to finish their new idea.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:the sheer brutality with which Asuka kicks him across the entry plug, the emphasis this puts on the way she just drags him, or how she... his face...
I'm sure she was just doing to see if he was real, or to provoke a familiar reaction of rejection. Or would she just have had to start strangling him for that to be the case?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Your joke falls flat given the difference in context.

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:13 pm

But it reminds us that she doesn't really do worse things to him than he did to her in EoE.
Hopefully Anno isn't preparing the "Asuka masturbates over comatose Shinji" scene for us in 4.0. I don't want to know how Kendrix would react to THAT.

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 pm

I know this probably already crossed someone else s mind but......couldn't we mix all the decent-looking camrips and footage we've got so far to this point,
so we could make a more decent and more watchable camrip than this?.... just saying, i know it's a lot of work, i myself would probably
rage quit in the process of doing so.
Anyways i just wanted to mention it, in case someone was already doing it.
It's too late to pry away.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:And the sheer BRUTALITY of the final scene. It hurts so bad. How did no previous synopsis mention the sheer brutality with which Asuka kicks him across the entry plug, the emphasis this puts on the way she just drags him, or how she... his face...
...words fail me.

Yeah, the boneshattering cruelty of Asuka shoving Shinji's back with her foot, making him stand up, and, how awful to say, pulling on his face is almost too much to bear. One can only wonder: what would have followed, had she not gotten distracted by Rei? A noogie? A plugsuit wedgie? The mind boggles at such vistas of wanton animal violence.

Okay, all that aside, i do find the final scene to be somewhat cruel, but mostly on Anno's side. This borderline slapstick treatment almost makes a joke out of Shinji and his grief.

And really, did everybody else miss the sigh Asuka gave before turning back towards the plug? Sure, she was frustrated as all hell, but she took pity on the guy. Had she not, she would have left him there to rot. Really, it was all pity: not love, not motherly affection, not an attempt to secure the dangerous guy, just good old fashioned pity.

On a more general note: still not sold on the movie, but man, Fuyu's infodump scene was awesome. Foreboding as fuck, great imagery, favorite bit by far.

Leat favorite bit: Kaworu going into "deep distress" and being passive for an ungodly amount of time during the Dogma fight. If there was ever a transparent ploy to prevent a character from saying something before it's too late, this is it.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

alexyoshi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alexyoshi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

View Original PostJadley wrote:I know this probably already crossed someone else s mind but......couldn't we mix all the decent-looking camrips and footage we've got so far to this point,
so we could make a more decent and more watchable camrip than this?.... just saying, i know it's a lot of work, i myself would probably

I had the exact same idea, I could do it but I have no time now. I guess it would be quiet long to mix the audio from different leaks and sync subtitles with every thing

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'm sure she was just doing to see if he was real, or to provoke a familiar reaction of rejection. Or would she just have had to start strangling him for that to be the case?

She's not in a sufficiently metaphysical situation for any testing of his existence to be necessary.
And... 14 years. It makes no sense for her to give a rats ass about his reaction in a personal way.

What we have is this: A soldier from camp A captures someone they believe to be working for camp B, a terrorist organization, or just plain the opposing faction whom they believe follows a crazy ideology that will destroy all that is holy and worthwhile.
They blame that person for all the personal losses the entirety of the oposing faction caused them and use them as their personal punching bag.
It's an central-africa/middle-east sort of situation, where the country is war-torn, everybody's lives suck hard and they have no time to think about concepts of human dignity.
Or to give a fuck about the state he's in. If his sorry state was of a more physical nature, Asuka probably would still have kicked him.
He's a prisoner of war.
Getting mistreated.
In a crapsack hellhole.
Nothing less, nothing more.

I guess it is an accurate depiction of human nature, but it's still brutal.

CJD, I may be missing something here, you seem to be on some sort of high, maybe you're seeing something I don't.
Explain to me please, because to me, that final scene looks completely bleak to me. I'v beginning to wonder if fucking last B would have been preferable. On the one hand, the ending of Q still has... people. On the other, Last B, horrybly bleak as it was, there was a "philosophical/esoteric" victory of some sort, utterly hollow as it may be.
Qs finale is complete defeat. The movie couldn't possibly have ended MORE bleakly.
After a life of loneliness and chances not taken, a young boy finally finds his reason to fight and tries to do the right thing after he had already given up. He notices that he had at lreast one person who cared about him for himself, not his services, but he realizes one moment too late.
One moment of immaturity that he snapped out of too late cost him everything. He tries everything in his might to save another person, he is willing to give all of his life, endures trememdous pain... and the universe takes his life, keeps the best years of it and everything that made it worthwhile, spits the rest back out and burps. "No, sorry, not enough, your sorry ass doesn't amount to teh Rei. "
He had been so passive until now because he was afraid of screwing up and being hated by everyone... and the one time he really tried, it all blew up in his face, just as he always feared.
There are new people who only know him as the destroyer. Everyone tells him to just lie down and rot. He is a remnant of a bygone age and this new world has no time, no place, no need for him.
His surrogate mother tries to kill him. Nuff said. He doesn't know she couldn't.
After being exposed to things humans weren't meant to know and finding out that he blasted the small circle of friends he painstakingly constructed for himself all the way to hell, and that he's responsible for something as big and absolute as "the end of the world", he also gets told that it was all for naught. The freakin CHERRY on the cake, Rei's dead.
He won't ever be forgiven, this is too much for it to ever be forgiven, human beings don't forgive that, nor will he ever be able to live and peace, and even if he could, where would he go? He can forget about getting a job in an office or anything like that, there's no world left for him to live in.
He unravels, all the ugly little bare threads comming to the daylight, every barrier and compartment comming undone, all the little wheels falling out of the clock.
At the request of a friend, he tries to give it one more time, to find streght in that new connection and atone for what he did wrong.
But it goes about as well as the last time and gets the friend in question killed.
His honest feelings of wanting to atone, to prove himself, to save the world, to do good, just a little bit of good, that all doesn't count shit.
What counts is that he failed.
And after all that, all his suffering, all the effort it took him to get his act sufficiently together for this, he gets insulted and brutally kicked for his troubles.

These visuals don't say "Aww, she really cares" and neither does the voice-acting. The emphasis of the fast movement, on the yanking motion, the way he weakly reaches for the player, but Asuka doesn't care and just keeps dragging him, and he lowers his hand in resignation...

The last scene says only one thing: You failed. Nobody gives a shit about your efforts and your suffering, the only thing that counts is the failure beneath the bottom line, nobody cares at all.

I wonder if this is all a ploy by Anno to make us all wonder why we ever complained about "One more Final", let alone episode 26. They look like total fairytale endings compared to Q.

Other observations:
Ah, a shot of EVA 08 and 02 recovered by WILLE. We can assume Mari is there?

Also, the other camrip was too trashy for us to see that Mari doesn't just catch EVA 13, she jumps on it in mid-fall and jumps off before it hits the ground.
Bad. Ass. , as little as this does to cheer me up.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:10 pm

View Original Postalexyoshi wrote:I had the exact same idea, I could do it but I have no time now. I guess it would be quiet long to mix the audio from different leaks and sync subtitles with every thing

it'd end up being just like the audorip+camrip that they made on github, and yeah it'd probably take a while.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Okay, all that aside, i do find the final scene to be somewhat cruel, but mostly on Anno's side. This borderline slapstick treatment almost makes a joke out of Shinji and his grief.

You sure that's not intentional dissonance fully intended to be very disturbing?

Or that it's Asuka who's making a joke of it.
"Lol, man up you baby!" ...yelled at a nonresponsive empty shell that was once a fairly nice 14 year old with hobbies and a bunch of friends who probably wouldn't ever have done anything to harm another human being if he hadn't been showed into that apocalypse machine.

Let's face it, Shinji may have done ugly things in both continuities, but in either version, it took a helluva lot of punishment to break him that far and many combinations of crazy events that he would never have encountered under normal circumstances.
It's more an issue of "beware the nice ones" and "Human beings have uglyness inside them that comes to light when they break" than it is of him being a horrible person. We're talking of VERY extreme situations far away from his "default state".

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 pm

View Original PostJadley wrote:I know this probably already crossed someone else s mind but......couldn't we mix all the decent-looking camrips and footage we've got so far to this point,

Theres really little point in doing what your suggesting. We only stand to gain....15 min of what you would term "good" cam-rip footage to splice into this new one we got yesterday. Its not worth our effort or time to do this. Mind you we're still missing the chunk of movie that happens between the 6 min preview and the new cam-rip we got yesterday. Maybe 3-4 min.

In any case I don't think anyone here should bother with splicing the footage from the old cam-rips into this one. Its not going to matter much since the other rips sucked in the first place.

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:Theres really little point in doing what your suggesting. We only stand to gain....15 min of what you would term "good" cam-rip footage to splice into this new one we got yesterday. Its not worth our effort or time to do this. Mind you we're still missing the chunk of movie that happens between the 6 min preview and the new cam-rip we got yesterday. Maybe 3-4 min.

In any case I don't think anyone here should bother with splicing the footage from the old cam-rips into this one. Its not going to matter much since the other rips sucked in the first place.

fair enough, i knew it was a waste of time, i just mentioned it in case someone already had done it, cause i would much rather have those 15mins in than out.
in any case, we're just a few months from getting the DVD so i'm going to try to hold my urges til then.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote: Mind you we're still missing the chunk of movie that happens between the 6 min preview and the new cam-rip we got yesterday. Maybe 3-4 min. .

What's there in those minutes? Anyone have a clue? There's no missing dialogue, at least. *looks at translated script*
That shot of Shinji submerged in LCL (from the trailer) that I didn't see anywhere?

Also, I noticed how especially in her first few appearances ("This way"), Hayashibara apparently made sure to make ReiQ sound somewhat different.

Kinda like how she differentiated ReiIII with a slightly more "womanly" voice for their threesome talk in ep 25, but again different. Don't really know how to place/discribe ReiQs voice other than "different" - if there was a color, I'd say that it's more "yellow" than the "default" Rei voice of the previous two movies and the first 22 1/2 episodes.
But almost everyone sounds different, especially Asuka, for some reason, even if she's supposed to be physically the same...
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:19 pm

I would assume we get a shot of Unit 01 being taken out of his orbital prism prison thing. And then footage of Unit 01 being hooked up to the WILL-E. And I suppose the retrieval process for Shinji. The recent cam-rip we got yesterday only starts after Shinji is retrieved and lying on a stretcher surrounded by armed guards and Sakura.

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:What's there in those minutes? Anyone have a clue? There's no missing dialogue, at least. *looks at translated script*
That shot of Shinji submerged in LCL (from the trailer) that I didn't see anywhere?

Also, I noticed how especially in her first few appearances ("This way"), Hayashibara apparently made sure to make ReiQ sound somewhat different.

Kinda like how she differentiated ReiIII with a slightly more "womanly" voice for their threesome talk in ep 25, but again different. Don't really know how to place/discribe ReiQs voice other than "different" - if there was a color, I'd say that it's more "yellow" than the "default" Rei voice of the previous two movies and the first 22 1/2 episodes.
But almost everyone sounds different, especially Asuka, for some reason, even if she's supposed to be physically the same...

On that note, one of the earlisest teasers of 3.0 did show us a rotating unit 02 in space with the final shot beeing infront of the moon and taking a rifle shot at the camera.
Didnt see that at all either... did that happen in the movie? Didnt see it in the rip..

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 pm

That's in the first six min that are already all over the internet because they were released early. Those aren't in the rip, no.

The question is wether there's something in between those and Shinji waking up on a stretcher.

Again, I keep feeling reminded of Elfen Lied, all those guns pointed at an allegedly deadly kid, explosive leashes...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”