3.0 Reactions and Reviews from Viewers (Japan?)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
vinicius0712
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby vinicius0712 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah, it really hangs between 5~6/10 and 9~10. It may have been a big hit money wise in the first weekend, but it seem to not be pleasing the majority of fans. The lower rates are sparse, but the ones that rate the movie in the average category are considerable.

As we are talking about Japanese fans of Evangelion, I was betting on a 80% of 9~10/10 reviews. Did 1.0 and 2.0 receive similar reviews?
????

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 am

eh? It's one of the highest grossing movies in Japan this year. That wouldn't happen if a majority of fans didn't like it I would think.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:51 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:So going back to my original intent with this with this thread, is there a chance that people have gauged the general Japanese fan reaction to the content of the movie?

FWIW: The handful of Japanese Eva fans (folks like os189 knows, own the DVDs and merchandise, etc) I sometimes speak with on Twitter liked Q but were confused by it. Repeated viewings (2-3 times) helped made things clearer for them.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:eh? It's one of the highest grossing movies in Japan this year. That wouldn't happen if a majority of fans didn't like it I would think.

But do we know how it's fared at the box office after the opening weekend?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:55 am

http://www.japanator.com/evangelion-3-0-is-making-a-killing-at-the-box-office-27311.phtml

http://www.japanator.com/evangelion-3-0-is-still-making-a-lot-of-money-27328.phtml

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 am

Ah, hadn't seen the second report. I feel like Evangelion at this point is basically critic proof. Every fan is going to see it anyway at least once. And even if half of the fans hate it then the other half will still go back to see it again.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:03 am

The rewatch potential probably also helps to print cash - most of the ppl who saw it here and posted about went back again and again to check/pay attention to specific scenes.

EVA is something that should be watched with a pause- and a rewind button. If you don't have these and still want to make sense of it, you'll have to leave more cash in the box offices.

I mean, could any of you have made sense of EoE or the last six tv episodes from seeing it once? I sure didn't.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:38 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:eh? It's one of the highest grossing movies in Japan this year. That wouldn't happen if a majority of fans didn't like it I would think.

Are we talking fan fans, or viewers? The star Wars prequels did well for example, but not a lot of die hard fans will say they liked Phantom Menace. But if we're talking overall all the people who are going to see it that might be a different thing.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:19 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:But if we're talking overall all the people who are going to see it that might be a different thing.

Boxoffice numbers like this suggest that it isn't just hardcore fans who are going to see this a second time. Really Eva 3.0 seems to be going mainstream now with movie viewers....similar in the amount of attention Studio Ghibli films seem to be garnering these days....

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:28 pm

The numbers are pretty insane. 2.0 made $40.3 M during its whole theatrical run (which was twice as much as 1.0), 3.0 has made $35 M in just 9 days (and by today over 40 I'm sure).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:44 pm

View Original PostIDontWantNoScrub wrote:The numbers are pretty insane. 2.0 made $40.3 M during its whole theatrical run (which was twice as much as 1.0), 3.0 has made $35 M in just 9 days (and by today over 40 I'm sure).

Mindfuck sells?

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Mindfuck sells?

That and I guess the animation itself is being really well received. This would never work here in North America. Its funny how receptive the Japanese are to anime and animated works in general. They're able to suspend their disbelief whether they're watching a shitty Godzilla movie with special effects or watching an animated film like Eva 3.0. Its a quality that the Japanese public has that I really do admire.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:43 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Mindfuck sells?

Or maybe it's the flying Battleships? Japan seems to love flying battleships.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:27 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Maybe a plurality of people think it's a good movie and they like it? Just a voice in the storm, don't let me crowd out your groupthink.

Groupthink? You mean ala the situation with Transformers Revenge of the fallen. Its a wonder how that terrible movie made so much money... I suppose it could be the same situation here with Eva 3.0. The movie is talked about and by word of mouth, uncomprehensible story/plot and cool mech designs it seems to garner a lot of attention. The merchandising campaign doesn't help matters much. I guess its just massive exposure in Japan that woos enough people into groupthinking.... Hence lets go to see 3.0 twice or three times...lol

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am

Regarding reactions, here's a semi-informative though hilarious Japanese Youtube video (originally from Nico) that gives a manga-style summary of Q: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qpm0zO_Oo

Philos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Philos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Regarding reactions, here's a semi-informative though hilarious Japanese Youtube video (originally from Nico) that gives a manga-style summary of Q: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qpm0zO_Oo

I recommend who have little Japanese reading skill to watch a version which included niconico comments. It will be more funny a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEoWESFf9qc

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 am

^That is actually surprisingly accurate!
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:35 am

looks hilarious. Translation, anyone?

The visual of Shinji climbing those skulls (together with his sort-of mention of the last time he was down there) painfully recalls 1.11.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Based from the things I've seen so far, I just have to say this:

Feels like a whole new thing. Kinda weird and very far from the actual series.

I'm completely stupefied.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”