Eva 3.0 (Q) Trailers Thread (PRE-11/17 ONLY)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 am

View Original PostChroma wrote:It's got the slender body of Unit-02, and the way it was firing that pistol while running and stuff just screams man-in-suit (as the nice folks on /m/ were complaining about). Couple that with an almost Power Ranger like mask, and it looks human. The pink itself was kind of a joke because, iirc, there were pink power rangers. Never an orange or a purple, though.

We've seen Unit-01 and Unit-02 wield weapons before. Unit-01 used a gatling gun in 1.0 and Unit-02 used three different firearms in 2.0. I don't think the way Unit-08 handled that pistol in the trailer makes it look any more or less human than the other Evas.

Chroma wrote:I do like the idea that Mari helped design it a little, but I thought Unit-08 (assuming that the new Unit is 08) was made by Gendo and NERV, not Seele or whoever the hell is backing Mari. Why would she have had any creative control? Unless Kaji, Mari and Gendo are in cahoots, but now I'm just guessing.

I think it's very unlikely that Gendou or Nerv had a hand in the creation of Unit-08, particularly due to this line from 2.0:
Fuyutsuki wrote:But there shouldn't have been any plans for anything beyond Unit-05

It's much more probable that Seele built all of the Evas past Unit-05.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Chiral_Spiral
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chiral_Spiral » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:12 am

While we're on the subject I have to say that I'm not wild about the new Eva design either. The top of the mask with the three vertically oriented eyes (assuming that's what they are) looks awkward and out of place.

But it's just a robot design, when it comes down to it. It's not going to affect my enjoyment of the movie, and maybe it will grow on me once we see it in action some more.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 pm

• Also not crazy with what they've done with Eva-08. Though, for those who think the face mask is un-Eva-like, think back on Eva-00. The array of eight "eyes" seems almost a call-back to the five-"eyed" prototypes in NGE, even.

The redesign does put quite a damper on much of the speculation. The "third eye" and "anchor" elements are gone.

I'm thankful they've managed to make a pink Eva without putting faux boobs on it.
  • On "EVA-13": quite mysterious, considering we don't even have Eva-07 accounted for. With that wave coming down from above, I don't know how to put the cut into an environmental context, either.
  • The girl with brown hair and brown eyes looks quite a bit like Asuka. Could be Sadamoto's limited number of faces talking, or perhaps it's deliberate.
  • Eva-02 is positively full of craters in the last cut.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:How does it being pink 'push it any further' than a purple Eva does? Or the mere fact that the Evas exist? It's a color. Not an ability.

Pink is usually evocative of a young/immature female's fashion statement (mind you, I'm not saying that anyone who wears pink is young/immature, however, the color is used to represent such traits in most forms of media). Granted, purple is also ridiculous, but it's a bit more acceptable, probably because it is utilized as a substitute for darker colors many times, making it easier to associate with grim and sinister themes.

The problem here lies in how these colors have been presented to us by almost every cartoon/videogame/comic book ever. Hey, maybe it's just me, but I've become too accustomed with those patterns.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Regarding the mystery Evangelion's colour, I would like to remind you all that Asuka really likes the colour red.

Whether this is caused by Unit-02 being bright red, or whether Unit-02's paint job is a result of Asuka's colour preference remains up in the air.

HOWEVER, recall that on her way to the activation test of Unit-03 (during the car ride, after Rei's voice message), Asuka asks Misato if her new Evangelion could be painted red. It was the final line of the conversation, and Misato's only reaction was a subtle smile.

This at least creates the suggestion that an Evangelion's colour scheme may on some occasions be determined by the pilot.

---

Finally, let me reiterate where we have seen prominent use of the colour pink in Rebuild of Evangelion:

- The new mystery Evangelion
- Mari's plugsuit, both during the Rebuild 2.0 finale and the 3.0 trailers.
- One of the new female mystery character's hair and lipstick.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I reckon a company with unlimited funds to clone alien gods can afford to splurge on a paint job. If a pilot feels a kind of personal connection to their Eva it's probably good for their sync ratio.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Yes they can afford it, and even though I struggle with the idea of an organization entrusted with the protection of the human race succumbing to the whims of a teenage girl, it is still a valid in story explanation for the color choice of the EVA.

When I said they pushed it too far with the pink EVA I was referring to the creator's choice of making it that color, to me it seems like an unnecessary aesthetic change to the general tone of the franchise. Forgive my prejudice, but I think that, with few exceptions, pink is a color best reserved to Barbie's appliances.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Reichu! Glad to see you made it through Sandy alright (or at least well enough to post).

View Original PostReichu wrote:[list][*]Also not crazy with what they've done with Eva-08. Though, for those who think the face mask is un-Eva-like, think back on Eva-00. The array of eight "eyes" seems almost a call-back to the five-"eyed" prototypes in NGE, even.

My issue is less with the eyes than with the general head design. The drawing Anno made looked alright to me; this one . . . eh. For some reason it just doesn't work for me (but then I hate pink in general, so that's probably part of it).

[*]The girl with brown hair and brown eyes looks quite a bit like Asuka. Could be Sadamoto's limited number of faces talking, or perhaps it's deliberate.

Really? I didn't get that at all. Maybe it's just the hair but her face seemed softer and a bit narrower to me.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:For some reason it just doesn't work for me (but then I hate pink in general, so that's probably part of it).

How about now?

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Regarding the mystery Evangelion's colour, I would like to remind you all that Asuka really likes the colour red.

Whether this is caused by Unit-02 being bright red, or whether Unit-02's paint job is a result of Asuka's colour preference remains up in the air.

HOWEVER, recall that on her way to the activation test of Unit-03 (during the car ride, after Rei's voice message), Asuka asks Misato if her new Evangelion could be painted red. It was the final line of the conversation, and Misato's only reaction was a subtle smile.

This at least creates the suggestion that an Evangelion's colour scheme may on some occasions be determined by the pilot.

---

Finally, let me reiterate where we have seen prominent use of the colour pink in Rebuild of Evangelion:

- The new mystery Evangelion
- Mari's plugsuit, both during the Rebuild 2.0 finale and the 3.0 trailers.
- One of the new female mystery character's hair and lipstick.

It would indeed seem pilots can decide their Eva's paintjob, it's just armor, and quite expensive at that. I don't think a paintjob makes much difference, otherwise, Airbus would be delivering chromed aircraft to it's purchasing companies.

And 08 is probably neither Gendo's nor Nerv's nor Seele but IPEA, but nobody seems to hold their importance up, even if they are the ones that are changing Eva's focus from Cosmic Horror to military show.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:How about now?

The blue and green one's not bad, but the others are badly done so I can't comment.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:How about now?

The yellow one looks surprisingly good.

I still say it's EVA 07 and Mari's toy.
It has the EXACT same color sheme as her plugsuit - the pink, the purple parts, the glowing green she had in beast mode/wore previously... etc.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:badly done
They're just the picture from the front page after I chopped out colour channels -- B&W, red-off, blue-off, red-only, respectively -- nothing fancy involved at all.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:
  • The girl with brown hair and brown eyes looks quite a bit like Asuka.

I sincerely doubt that it could be Kyoko...

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:I sincerely doubt that it could be Kyoko...

Maybe a sister.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:They're just the picture from the front page after I chopped out colour channels -- B&W, red-off, blue-off, red-only, respectively -- nothing fancy involved at all.

Well, yes. That's why! :tongue: The ones missing only one color were okay, but the others didn't look like a real picture, so . . . :shrug:

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:We've seen Unit-01 and Unit-02 wield weapons before. Unit-01 used a gatling gun in 1.0 and Unit-02 used three different firearms in 2.0. I don't think the way Unit-08 handled that pistol in the trailer makes it look any more or less human than the other Evas.

True enough. Still, running and pistol-ing is a bit more "human" than holding a giant gatling gun. But maybe it's just me. 08 just reminds me a lot of a Power Ranger.

I think it's very unlikely that Gendou or Nerv had a hand in the creation of Unit-08, particularly due to this line from 2.0:
It's much more probable that Seele built all of the Evas past Unit-05.

But I thought it was 06 they didn't know about, not 08. Maybe I'm just mis-remembering something.

Also, am I the only person who can't see any kind of wording in the shot that supposedly says EVA-13? People on /m/ were talking about it to and I didn't see a thing.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

KnifeEyeAttack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KnifeEyeAttack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 pm

View Original PostChroma wrote:True enough. Still, running and pistol-ing is a bit more "human" than holding a giant gatling gun. But maybe it's just me.

Are we forgetting what the EVAs essentially are under all those armour plates/restraints?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm

View Original PostChroma wrote:True enough. Still, running and pistol-ing is a bit more "human" than holding a giant gatling gun. But maybe it's just me. 08 just reminds me a lot of a Power Ranger.

It reminds me of a Knight Saber from Bubblegum Crisis mixed with Karas, but it does have a very strong 'toku hero' vibe.

Regarding the space battle, could that possibly be our opening action sequence? In the theatrical trailer, we can very briefly see Unit 02 docked with something that I'm assuming is the huge cross object, and there seems to be some kind of covering over the right side of its chest not present in the other shots. Maybe that's where the stopgap repairs are effected? Why they would blast it into space for repairs is beyond me.

Just something about the sheer number of clips that are or seem to be from this part make me think it'll happen early on.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 pm

View Original PostKnifeEyeAttack wrote:Are we forgetting what the EVAs essentially are under all those armour plates/restraints?

Metaphors for the human condition???
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”