The new body of Rei

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
fadadio
Adam

The new body of Rei

•      
  •      

Postby fadadio » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:53 am

It's pretty safe to assume that in Evangelion 2.22 that Rei is still made up of Yui and Lilith. So while rewatching Evangelion 2.22 during the scene where Zeruel eats and absorbs Rei and Unit 0. There is little doubt that all of Rei's body got absorbed seeing as Zeruel grows some womenly parts. Which means that it's Rei's Soul that Shinji extracts from Zeruels core. But that's only half the battle since Rei needs a new body. Which brings me to my next point. Zeruel then turn's to blood and Shinji Himself uses that to reform a giant naked Rei which is then absorbed by Unit 01. This leaves the question of was Rei's DNA altered during this process? Seeing as Shinji was in God mode when all of this happened. He must have known Rei's current body was in poor shape.A point made very obvious when her dinner with Gendo consist of a drink and many pills, and seeing as the Angels themselves contain the fruit of life within them Shinji had all the ingredients to make a new more Healthy version of Rei. Infact with Shinji being omnipotent he must have learned that Rei contains his mothers DNA and if Shinji has any sort of romantic feelings for her he would surely want to fix that and make Rei's DNA unique with his God powers would he not? but this is only speculation on my part. for all I know her DNA could be completely the same or consist of,1/4 Yui 1/4Lilith and 1/2 Angel, or some other combination.That is my 2 cents on the matter. What do you all think of this, was her DNA changed? and if so how will it affect evangelion 3.0?
I want Rei...GIVE HER BACK

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 am

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:32 am

A redefined body as in bigger boobies and curves?

Again - squirrel theory, Shinji and Rei are in soul-form (instrumentalised or LCL'd?) and they can re-embody to any lilin life form because all lilin life-forms are created from LCL - amirite?

I guess, because they're now in soul form, when the re-embody, they become physically who they want to be or what they think they look like. I don't think Shinji can decide what Rei looks like, but she isn't exactly human or a lilin life form so maybe she could be altered...

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:21 am

I disagree with your interpretation of "god mode".

Shinji was not in "god mode", Unit-01 was. Shinji only had his one, very straightforward wish ("Give back Ayanami!"), and Unit-01 made it possible for him to make it come true. This is supported by Misato's suggestion that the only true purpose of Evangelion is to grant a single person's wish.

This does not mean that Shinji became omnipotent and omniscient, and you seem to confuse these two. Omnipotence is the ability to do anything. Omniscience is the possession of all knowledge. I argue that Shinji had neither.

- Shinji only became omnipotent to the extent that he could grant his own single wish through sheer force of will, to the exclusion of every other wish, possibility or consideration.

- Shinji did not become omniscient at all. In fact, the imagery of the movie suggests that he is aware of nothing else but clawing his way through a dark and painful tunnel towards Rei. The Angel, his father, Unit-01, Tokyo-3 and even his own corporeality are totally forgotten, since the only way he can express his will to "get back Ayanami!" is to pursue it to the exclusion of everything else. Of course, this leaves no room at all for knowledge of Rei's DNA, origins and metaphysical biochemistry.

Finally, I would like to remark that even under the best of circumstances, Shinji never showed an analytical mind. He's an aimless, socially inept, emotionally stunted and greatly frustrated teenager, not a scientiest. Any interest he has in Rei is in the idea of her (as a peer, as a friend and maybe as a loved one) does not go into the physical composition of her body.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the experience will leave Rei and/or Shinji physically altered, but I'm certainly discounting the possibility that any of that would be a result of any conscious and informed decision by Shinji.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

If Rei's gonna be on a third body (whether or not that involves Rei 3 since 2.0 implies this is Rei 2 with that collar of hers), Shinji would be on a second body assuming events play out similar to Episode 20 with him (and Rei?) having to reform from LCL within Eva-01.

2.0 does imply that Rei has clones as well as being somehow derived from Yui's body, but it's still hard to say if she possess Lilith's soul. (I personally think she does, why else would there be a blinking!Bookend Rei and Hell-train Rei throughout 1.0 and 2.0, as well as a mini-red-GNR during Near Third Impact?)

It is interesting to think that maybe the 10th Angel somehow contaminated Shinji or Rei, but we still see a rainbow appear (although it's before Zeruel's death) so we'll have to see just what that means, if anything.

Other than that, I agree with Jornophelanthas's thoughts. Interesting how the 3.0 Next Time Preview makes a point of showing all the "main" cast in some form minus Shinji, huh?

Leighton: I noticed you said "squirrel theory" but assuming the same principles of LCL and reforming apply from NGE/EoE to the New Movie Edition-universe, when people reform, they can only reform as themselves ("Imagine themselves in their own heart"), not as anybody else.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Leighton: I noticed you said "squirrel theory" but assuming the same principles of LCL and reforming apply from NGE/EoE to the New Movie Edition-universe, when people reform, they can only reform as themselves ("Imagine themselves in their own heart"), not as anybody else.

Oh i see, i stand corrected.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Shinji might've become omnipotent, but not omniscient and he really doesn't have a scientific/analytic way of thinking, he's more the "artistic" type. (which is weird when you look at his parents - then again, the "artistic" type tends to overjump one generation... ) He won't just think of random things he noticed in a highly emotional moment and tends to just try and ignore/refuse to think about weirdness (Unless there's so much of it that it renders it into a screaming mess of course). He'll ocassionally brood about it, but he's not the type to come up with theories or ask qestuions, which is, while certainly far from a good attitude, actually one of the things that allowed him to see Rei(and the other slighly less than-normal ppl around him, like, Misato, Asuka, Kaworu, Mari...) as just a person and not a weird thing that needs to be investigated.
In other words, when someone says "I can be replaced", he won't ask "Eh, how so?" and base his next action on the answer, perhaps saying something like "But a clone is like a twin, and twins aren't the same people!"(rational argument) that follows, he'll go "No, you're unique!", replying to Rei's feelings rather than to a scientific fact about her.
This trait of Shinji's has both positive and negative consequences - Negative because, duh, conspiracy behind his back and while he has questions, he doesn't ask them, and the inability to think reasonably in intense sitations (Like, he doesn't think: It's better to risk the life of just one person than to completely doom all people on the world, he thinks: "Asuka's in there! I can't possibly attack something with a human in it! As useless as I am, I might get her killed!" Or, another example from EoE: He thinks "I'm useless so it's better if I just don't budge an inch so I don't hurt anyone", he doesn't add the current situation (NERv HQ under attack etc) into it. ), but on the other hands, it allows him to see others as they are, I think. (Episode 9: Asuka goes on about how they'll show Rei and Misato who's the boss. He is confused by how she has suddenly turned this into a competition in her head, but he doesn't dwell on "stuff not making sense", but instead cares more about the fact that she said "we" and is suddenly talking like he's less an enemy/rival, but an accomplice/sidekick and smiles, probably having just been hit by Cupid's arrow after witnessing that Asuka is also only human)

Anyway, he isn't thinking of Rei's biologic make up in that moment - I doubt he really understood or honestly cared about the "how" and "why" of the stuff he did during the rescue action, I mean, he would not know how to shoot laser beams with his eyes. His thoughts probably didn't go beyond "Tear that bastard to shreds and grab Rei", he saw little more than his light tunel vision, not really taking notice of the angel exploding/Core destroying/out pulling/TI-initiating that took place outside.

As for Rei's physical form, her body was absorbed/consumed by Zeruel once EVA 00 was eaten, but the plug of EVA 01 is full of LCL for her to materialize from... And you sorta materialize by imagining yourself as you were before. Being artificial is not all, but nonetheless a part of Rei's identity.
I wonder if we will get something akin to the episode 14 poem when she's floating through the EVA... It's not likely as Rebuild kinda cut down on the introspection, and I wouldn't be disaponited if it doesn't happen, but it'd be nice if it would. They could slightly tweak it to be a little longer and include a reaction to the newest events or blend it with Shinji's text to create a dialogue.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

fadadio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fadadio » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Hmmmm some interesting points are being made.
I want Rei...GIVE HER BACK

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Leighton: I noticed you said "squirrel theory" but assuming the same principles of LCL and reforming apply from NGE/EoE to the New Movie Edition-universe, when people reform, they can only reform as themselves ("Imagine themselves in their own heart"), not as anybody else.

Your last statement is your downfall. They, in their own heart, can see themselves as squirrels. But... I guess only furries could accomplish this.

Urban Dictionary wrote:Possibly the strangest sub-culture in all of geekdom. Furries range from being harmless fans fascinated by anthropomorphic characters and animals, to immensely withdrawn or self-abosrbed persons who actually believe, or want to believe, they're eagle-winged fox-like versions of themselves with giant gentalia who wouldn't dare be anything else that could be considered mundane. Furries defy any coventional or unifying definition.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Furries aren't so deluded that they don't know what their own bodies look like, dude. Fantasies and memories are two different things.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:41 pm

In EoE, Shinji materialises just like he liquified, and Asuka even has part of her recent Injuries (obviously not all of them, since she lives - but at least plenty ob bandages representing them. )
At least the examples we have wouldn't suggest that one can stray much from the way one was before - You can pull all sorts of clothes/symbols out of nothingness, so, if you were a glasses wearer, you'd probably materialize with glasses, but all oll this stuff corresponded with what they did/looked like before.
you can probably be anything that is required by your definition of "you" - not what you's LIKE to be... Shinji did not seem to have gotten any prettier or better after ep 20.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:29 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Furries aren't so deluded that they don't know what their own bodies look like, dude. Fantasies and memories are two different things.

You don't have to be deluded. You underestimate the human mind.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Her new body could also be Eva-01. That would certainly be the most interesting development.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:15 pm

And precisely what is consciousness?

SPOILER: Show
That is precisely what we do not know.

It is nothingness.

A nothingness
that we use
to indicate
when we do not know something
from what side
we do not know it
and so
we say
consciousness,
from the side of consciousness,
but there are a hundred thousand other sides.

Well?

It seems that consciousness
in us is
linked
to sexual desire
and to hunger;

but it could
just as well
not be linked
to them.

One says,
one can say,
there are those who say
that consciousness
is an appetite,
the appetite for living;

and immediately
alongside the appetite for living,
it is the appetite for food
that comes immediately to mind;

as if there were not people who eat
without any sort of appetite;
and who are hungry.

For this too
exists
to be hungry
without appetite;

well?

Well
the space of possibility
was given to me one day
like a loud fart
that I will make;
but neither of space,
nor possibility,
did I know precisely what it was,

and I did not feel the need to think about it,

they were words
invented to define things
that existed
or did not exist
in the face of
the pressing urgency
of a need:
the need to abolish the idea,
the idea and its myth,
and to enthrone in its place
the thundering manifestation
of this explosive necessity:
to dilate the body of my internal night,

the internal nothingness
of my self

which is night,
nothingness,
thoughtlessness,

but which is explosive affirmation
that there is
something
to make room for:

my body.

And truly
must it be reduced to this stinking gas,
my body?
To say that I have a body
because I have a stinking gas
that forms
inside me?

I do not know
but
I do know that

space,
time,
dimension,
becoming,
future,
destiny,
being,
non-being,
self,
non-self,

are nothing to me;

but there is a thing
which is something,
only one thing
which is something,
and which I feel
because it wants
TO GET OUT:
the presence
of my bodily
suffering,

the menacing,
never tiring
presence
of my
body;

however hard people press me with questions
and however vigorously I deny all questions,
there is a point
at which I find myself compelled
to say no,

NO

then
to negation;

and this point
comes when they press me,

when they pressure me
and when they handle me
until the exit
from me
of nourishment,
of my nourishment
and its milk,

and what remains?

That I am suffocated;

and I do not know if it is an action
but in pressing me with questions this way
until the absence
and nothingness
of the question
they pressed me
until the idea of body
and the idea of being a body
was suffocated
in me,

and it was then that I felt the obscene

and that I farted
from folly
and from excess
and from revolt
at my suffocation.

Because they were pressing me
to my body
and to the very body

and it was then
that I exploded everything
because my body
can never be touched.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm

WTF?!

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:00 pm

I read chee's post in the voice of their avatar.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:You don't have to be deluded. You underestimate the human mind.

I think you need to rewatch Episode 20 and EoE (assuming such applies to Rebuild still). NGE flat-out tells us and shows us that people can only physically reembody as themselves.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:14 am

The preview for 3.0 tells us that Shinji and Rei are still stuck inside Unit 01. That strange body Yui resides in is Rei's new body now, and Rei has the soul of Lilith inside of her, yes? What if we get a giant white Rei/Yui/Lilith/Shinji in 3.0/4.0, with sexual appendages from both genders dangling in the appropriate places? (This could be very possible. Notice you never see Shinji in 3.0's preview. He may not return in any human form...)

But this is all based on NGE back-story elements. I would want nothing less from Anno other than to change it all up in an awesome way for 3.0 and 4.0.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The preview for 3.0 tells us that Shinji and Rei are still stuck inside Unit 01. That strange body Yui resides in is Rei's new body now, and Rei has the soul of Lilith inside of her, yes? What if we get a giant white Rei/Yui/Lilith/Shinji in 3.0/4.0, with sexual appendages from both genders dangling in the appropriate places? (This could be very possible. Notice you never see Shinji in 3.0's preview. He may not return in any human form...)

But this is all based on NGE back-story elements. I would want nothing less from Anno other than to change it all up in an awesome way for 3.0 and 4.0.

Unlikely. I mean, they mainly want to portray human drama/will/determination and for that, those two must get out of there.
The mindfuck is usually just decoration/a metaphor.

BTW: also, how do you imagine being a squirrel? Few ppl know how that actually feels like XD Yes, there's fantasy, but whatever you imagine may still be far away from what actual squirrel-ness feels like ;)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:04 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Unlikely. I mean, they mainly want to portray human drama/will/determination and for that, those two must get out of there.
The mindfuck is usually just decoration/a metaphor.

That's true. The theme of the new movies does seem to be leaning toward that direction. I can't help but to end a reply regarding NME with a "But we'll see what happens next." :wink:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”