What does "sequel" mean to you?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

What does "sequel" mean to you?

Postby qu4d » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:05 am

Yeah... just that simple question. Now with the blood stain thread there are some pals who are already again like "yeah lolz stupid sequel here is proof yadda yadda"... like they want to rub it into some people's faces.

Why are some people so much against the idea of a sequel? From what I understand is that some think that sequel would imply that Rebuild would be a direct follow up to the events of End of Evangelion. Of course this doesnt work.

But sequel could mean something different. Like another iteration of the same universe thats expanding and shrinking over and over again...

Is it that hard to accept that? :/

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:10 am

Sequel theory says they're basically pulling a Groundhog's Day-esque universe reset that takes place after The End of Evangelion. That's what people are talking about.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:21 am

But earth after EoE doesnt look like in Rebuild... this doesnt make sense. A reset like in Groundhog-Day would reset everything. There cant be any physical leftovers from the previous iteration like a bloodstain on the moon.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: What does "sequel" mean to you?

Postby Azathoth » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:29 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Why are some people so much against the idea of a sequel? From what I understand is that some think that sequel would imply that Rebuild would be a direct follow up to the events of End of Evangelion. Of course this doesnt work.

This is the prevailing version of the theory, and in my opinion it's silly.

View Original Postqu4d wrote:But sequel could mean something different. Like another iteration of the same universe thats expanding and shrinking over and over again...

This gets mentioned too, along with the "it's a parallel universe" thing, but I really don't see the point. If it's another iteration of the same universe (whatever that means) it's hardly a sequel. A sequel takes place chronologically after the original work. If it doesn't take place in the same timeline as the original (for example, if there is a Big Crunch and a Big Bang in between these two stories), it's hardly a sequel. If by "sequel" the theory means that NME is in many ways a continuation and elaboration of the themes of NGE, then that's absolutely true, but "spiritual successor" or even "reboot" (although I dislike using that term outside of comics) is an accurate term for that; "sequel" really isn't.

The "it's a parallel universe" thing, usually used in conjunction with the allegation that Kaworu and/or Mari are sliders, is not so easy to disprove; however, most of the "evidence" normally used for sequel theory (NGE 3I = NME 2I, the seas are red in NME because EoE just happened, Mark 06 is actually Unit 01, etc.) is discounted if NME and NGE/EoE don't take place in the same timeline.

The "the universe was reset by EoE" thing isn't supported by the evidence available to us in EoE.

The "it's all from the Instrumentality hallucinations of Shinji/Asuka/Yui/Gendou/Pen-Pen/whoever" argument doesn't really fit thematically, and would make the entire series feel a little inconsequential if it ended with "and then Shinji/Asuka/Yui/Gendou/Pen-Pen/whoever woke up and it was all an Instrumentality."

Most of my objection to the theory is not to its basic idea but rather to the fact that it's been cobbled together through cherry-picking, making tenuous connections between probably unrelated occurrences, and pasting screenshots out of context next to each other and calling it authorial intent. just like any of the other million fanwanks that are utterly irrelevant to NGE's point
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:45 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:This gets mentioned too, along with the "it's a parallel universe" thing, but I really don't see the point. If it's another iteration of the same universe (whatever that means) it's hardly a sequel. A sequel takes place chronologically after the original work. If it doesn't take place in the same timeline as the original (for example, if there is a Big Crunch and a Big Bang in between these two stories), it's hardly a sequel. If by "sequel" the theory means that NME is in many ways a continuation and elaboration of the themes of NGE, then that's absolutely true, but "spiritual successor" or even "reboot" (although I dislike using that term outside of comics) is an accurate term for that; "sequel" really isn't.

See. And that´s what I mean. What is the definition of a sequel? For me the Big Bang/Big Crunch theory would be a valid sequel. NGE took place before and NME takes place after that and the universe gets rebooted over and over again. Each iteration has its own relative timeline but they all together build the absolute timeline. It would be a follow up. Just not 20 years later but like trillions and billions and quadrogigahyperzillions of years.

and an edit... your groundhog day comment just made me think of something... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:27 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:But earth after EoE doesnt look like in Rebuild... this doesnt make sense. A reset like in Groundhog-Day would reset everything. There cant be any physical leftovers from the previous iteration like a bloodstain on the moon.

Yeah, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That's exactly why people say "yeah lolz stupid sequel here is proof yadda yadda." Nobody's saying that you couldn't apply some loose definition of the word 'sequel' to the NME, they're saying that THE big sequel theory is bullshit.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:02 am

Another entry in the franchise.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:10 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Another entry in the franchise.

So episodes 1-3 are sequels to original Star Wars? :D

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:12 am

View Original PostXard wrote:So episodes 1-3 are sequels to original Star Wars? :D

WE DON'T SPEAK OF THOSE MOVIES, THEY DON'T EXIST.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:54 am

View Original PostXard wrote:So episodes 1-3 are sequels to original Star Wars? :D

they're prequels
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:See. And that´s what I mean. What is the definition of a sequel?

The "what is a sequel?" question is a bit secondary to the whole "does any of the 'evidence' that originally prompted this assertion actually support it?" thing. The insistence that NME is concretely associated in-universe with NGE (as opposed to just being a retelling or whatever) is based on, like Azathoth said, a bunch of cobbled-together and cherry-picked stuff. Most of this stuff is already explained by the new rules of the NME universe, and, if it isn't, we can form hypotheses (based on what we know of those "rules") that are a zillion times simpler than invoking multiverse scenarios.

But it seems like the less fodder "sequelists" have to play with, the more they have to appeal to a blind devotion on the order of religious faith. [/hyperbole]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:27 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:But sequel could mean something different. Like another iteration of the same universe thats expanding and shrinking over and over again...

Is it that hard to accept that? :/

Not if that's what's actually going on, and not simply an idea that being batted around among us fanwankers. (I fanwank about stuff often, though the sequel idea isn't one of them.)

All of Rebuild is an "installment in the pre-existing Eva franchise", certainly. But I would consider Rebuild as much a sequel to NGE as much as I do Batman Begins a sequel to Batman &amp Robin, or if we want to stay within the same creative teams, the later versions of The Ten Commandments or The Man Who Knew Too Much a sequel to their previous versions.

CORE
Embryo

Postby CORE » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Trying to remember a feeling but failing to remember it and feeling some thing els.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:57 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:they're prequels

the point/joke

-----------------

you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:58 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:It would be a follow up. Just not 20 years later but like trillions and billions and quadrogigahyperzillions of years.

With reasoning as loose as that Hostel could be a sequel to Mary Poppins.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:08 pm

In the case of Rebuild: a terrible idea that shouldn't be pursued in any way, shape or form.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I think the main point to be made here is the difference between a sequel and a reboot.

A sequel would need to be within the same universe as NGE and take place in sequence to NGE. The most practical way to do this, while still maintaining itself as a sequel, is a simple "world reset," in which the events of EoE cause the world to reset and eventually lead to the events of NME, suggesting that the world is trapped in an endless loop a la Haruhi Suzumiya's Endless Eight. However, even with this as a possibility, the NME series would need to address this cycle for the theory to hold any validity.

Whereas the publicly announced reboot suggests that it's just NGE told in a different way with a different ending. 1.0 seemed to follow suit with Ghost in the Shell 2.0, but minor detail changes suggested things would turn out totally different, as we see in Eva 2.0. Unless Anno is hoping to make a point with NME, it can be considered as just a major cash cow, which is a valid reason for creation.

"HEY ANNO, WANT TO TAKE ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ANIME FRANCHISES AND REMAKE IT WITH PRETTIER ANIMATION TO MAKE LOTS OF MONEY?"

"OKAY! BUT LETS PISS EVERYBODY OFF AND CHANGE A WHOLE BUNCH OF THINGS, SINCE WE'RE PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED THAT THEY'LL BUY IT NO MATTER WHAT WE DO WITH IT."

And thus became Rebuild.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:24 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The "what is a sequel?" question is a bit secondary to the whole "does any of the 'evidence' that originally prompted this assertion actually support it?" thing. The insistence that NME is concretely associated in-universe with NGE (as opposed to just being a retelling or whatever) is based on, like Azathoth said, a bunch of cobbled-together and cherry-picked stuff. Most of this stuff is already explained by the new rules of the NME universe, and, if it isn't, we can form hypotheses(based on what we know of those "rules") that are a zillion times simpler than invoking multiverse scenarios.

A bunch of cobbled-together? For me it´s just 2 things.
Kaworu: I look forward to me you again, Shinji Ikrai.
Kaworu: This time I´ll make you happy.

At this point we just don´t know what he is refering to. This is an unanswered question and my theory would be that Kaworu is aware of the previous iteration that we saw in NGE. Like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. He is aware of all the iterations but nobody else is.

So this is one possibilty to answer that question. There is not much to support that but there is as well nothing at all to disprove this idea. Why are people trying to disprove that? We just dont know yet so we all have to wait, watch and see how it turns out.

I´m not saying that this is how it is. For me this is just one way and I personally would like that very much to see that NGE and NME are somehow (story-wise) connected.

View Original PostSachi wrote:I think the main point to be made here is the difference between a sequel and a reboot.

A sequel would need to be within the same universe as NGE and take place in sequence to NGE. The most practical way to do this, while still maintaining itself as a sequel, is a simple "world reset," in which the events of EoE cause the world to reset and eventually lead to the events of NME, suggesting that the world is trapped in an endless loop a la Haruhi Suzumiya's Endless Eight. However, even with this as a possibility, the NME series would need to address this cycle for the theory to hold any validity.

Whereas the publicly announced reboot suggests that it's just NGE told in a different way with a different ending. 1.0 seemed to follow suit with Ghost in the Shell 2.0, but minor detail changes suggested things would turn out totally different, as we see in Eva 2.0. Unless Anno is hoping to make a point with NME, it can be considered as just a major cash cow, which is a valid reason for creation.
And thus became Rebuild.

Reboots are "unaware" of each other. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Returns are their own canon. What happened in Burtons Batman doesnt matter.

NME might be some other kind of reboot. Of course it´s partially a retelling. But IF it´s just that... it would have a LITTLE taste of a cash cow to me. If it´s a "sequel" of NGE I´d love it even more.

And a "world reset" after EoE? Shinji rejected HIP and was on the beach with Asuka. How could there be a reset? There is nothing simple about that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:57 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:This is an unanswered question and my theory would be that Kaworu is aware of the previous iteration that we saw in NGE.

Since all of the other apparent tie-ins to the original iteration have been / can be explained without recourse to groundhogs or whatever, it is much, much, MUCH simpler to surmise that Kaworu is already acquainted with NME!Shinji in some way not yet revealed.

There is not much to support that but there is as well nothing at all to disprove this idea.

We're heading into argumentum ad ignorantiam territory (or some other logical fallacy, assuming I picked the wrong one) if we aren't already nose-deep in it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby qu4d » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:07 am

Are we? I dont think I´m ignorant at all. I just dont refuse this idea and UNTIL NOW we dont have any "evidence" that Kaworu met NME-Shinji before.

It´s possible that NME is just a simple reboot. But it´s also possible that NGE and NME are connected story-wise. That´s all I´m saying.

Isnt refusing the idea ignorant? ;)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”