Blood Staining the Moon (Scrapped Scene)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 am

It's more fun to label it "trolling," I guess, but he is fucking with the audience a little bit with some of the stuff in NME.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:19 am

View Original PostStrayn wrote:This guarantees me that Rebuild is not a sequel. Thank you.

"Sequel" in a way of like "20 years later" never made sense. But it still can be a sequel ;)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:53 am

View Original PostCOACH wrote:The only things I still find strange are Kaworu's mysterious lines, but it's been suggested that NME Shinji knew him as a child or something.

Two of the manga (GoS2/AD and GD/CA) had them know each other as kids, so no reason NME can't have that too. And/Or, this is somehow time-hopping SRW!Kaworu from NGE? >_>

While I agree sequel theory is easily debunked with 2.0, can a cut script scene really be used as evidence? Sadly it's not canon since it was scrapped and all that.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:43 am

At the very least, it shows the intentions of the director. I highly doubt Anno cut it because he decided that Giant Naked Rei actually did it. ;)
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:47 am

So these things(both the SI and the almost TI-one) WERE inspired by black holes! I knew it!

Maybe Anno thought it didn't need saying, much like how we never got to see how EVA 01's plug was ejected in EoE - Former scripts had such a scene, but Anno apparently deemed it a waste of screentime - Maybe we're meant tp put 2 and 2 together and conclude that the blood must be from SI, like many other things that had to be read between the lines in old NGE.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:55 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:So these things(both the SI and the almost TI-one) WERE inspired by black holes! I knew it!

Nah, I don't think so. A black hole as we know it is called a burakku ho-ru as far as I can tell. The term in the screenplay is more like literally saying "a hole that is black." If it were a real black hole, the Earth would be gone, no?

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Maybe Anno thought it didn't need saying, much like how we never got to see how EVA 01's plug was ejected in EoE - Former scripts had such a scene, but Anno apparently deemed it a waste of screentime - Maybe we're meant tp put 2 and 2 together and conclude that the blood must be from SI, like many other things that had to be read between the lines in old NGE.

Agreed. I don't think Anno realizes that some English-speaking fans think the blood stain came from Lilith's neck. :D
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Nah, I don't think so. A black hole as we know it is called a burakku ho-ru as far as I can tell. The term in the screenplay is more like literally saying "a hole that is black." If it were a real black hole, the Earth would be gone, no?

I never spoke of litteral black holes, just that the vortex-y thing could be inspired by one(aestetically)... duh, it may or may not be...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Oops, I see what you meant now.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:37 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:The only things I still find strange are Kaworu's mysterious lines...

That and that weird Eva Series-eqsue chalk outline in the opening scenes of 1.0.

Speaking of which, the absolute strangest 'evidence/theory' to the whole sequel thing I've heard is that the Adams are somehow meant to be the Eva Series.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 pm

That's the biggest stretch of them all! I mean, they look nothing alike, and there were nine of the Mass Production Units...
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:06 pm

View Original PostSanctus Scorpius wrote:That and that weird Eva Series-eqsue chalk outline in the opening scenes of 1.0.

It seems to be implied that something washed onto shore as a result of 2I. Take this together with the blood hitting the Moon, and there being an "excavation site" where they just so happen to be "constructing" an unusual Eva... It doesn't seem like a stretch to me that humanoids (quite possibly "burnt-out" Adams*) were scattered in the aftermath of Second Impact, and Seele's satellite groups swept down on them like vultures.

* Second Impact never reached fruition somehow... Perhaps the four Spears we saw were activated against the Adams and made them take on corporeal form, a la Eva-01's reversion at the end of 2.0. (Though, where did all that "blood" come from...? Did something actually explode, or was preexisting stuff converted into something that could give rise to Angels...?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Strayn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Strayn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Another fact that puts the sequel theory down is how the ocean used to be blue until it became red during the second impact (Kaji and Shinji's discussion.)
Maybe that corpse outline in the beginning has to do with the EVA's somehow? How they found EVA 01?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Tonight I'm going to think of how sequel theory was vanquished as I pleasure myself.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:43 am

The theory wasn't vanquished. I'm not a devotee of it (I don't really care either way) BUT this doesn't knock down the possibility that it's still the case. All it confirms is the origin of the bloodstain, and maybe not even that much. This wasn't in the actual film, after all. No, I don't think they're gonna go back and decide that it means something else (probably), but even if this is canon, sequel theories about Kaworu's statements could still turn out to be true.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:38 am

I wouldn't say it's been totally debunked, no. We haven't seen the other two movies, after all. But if you take this part of the storyboard about the bloody moon into account, then really none of the 'evidence' for the theory stands up to close scrutiny, except for the mysterious Kaworu lines. And it's possible that Kaworu has simply encountered Shinji before, in this continuity.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:09 am

Absolutely. I mean, if I had to bet my life savings, I'd go with the sequel theory being B.S. That's probably the case. But it's hardly certain. This whole thing lives or dies with Kaworu -- until the meaning of his words are revealed, we can't close the book on anything.

Oral Stage
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Oral Stage » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:...none of the 'evidence' for the theory stands up to close scrutiny, except for the mysterious Kaworu lines. And it's possible that Kaworu has simply encountered Shinji before, in this continuity.

Kaworu says 'the third boy again? You haven't changed at all' and 'this time, I will make you happy'

The first line sounds a lot like a reference to a previous 'cycle', but 'the third boy' could could also be being used as a synonym for 'Shinji', I guess. This would imply that Shinji became the Third Children before he came to Tokyo-3. Does anyone have a better translation of this line?

The sequel theory fits with the end of EoE in that Shinji finds a kind of grim acceptance of life. He basically thinks, yeah, it's gonna suck a lot, like it did before, but I'll have some fun too. Therefore, the story after 'kimochi warui' is implied to be the continuing present (Shinji builds another sand castle)

Devotees will remember the line from Love&Pop, 'Life might be about doing things over and over again'. (I can't remember if Arima says something similar in His and Hers or not??)

The sequel theory is unverified at this point, but it could still be true and I hope it is.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Kaworu's lines, particularly combined with what he's said in 2.0, make me think that any "cycle" that could be occurring is self-contained within the Rebuild continuity. For example, Shinji could be a reincarnation of one of the alleged 4 "Adams", and Kaworu is another of them but is closer to his "roots" as it were. Doesn't mean it would be my favorite way for it to turn out, but ... yeah.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:*Literally "stage/fake blood", assuming that's what 血のり means here.

血のり literally means "blood glue" 血糊
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E8%A1%80%E7%B3%8A

The original usage is as the wiki said, a crust of thickened blood due to coagulation but later also used to mean fake blood, though I think in the context here the first meaning is more likely.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:15 am

I think the current sequel theory says NME's Second Impact = NGE's Third Impact, though. >_>

Why are all the really retarded versions of the sequal theory the most popular? This is almost as bad as Revas version of the theory.

The only ways it would be plausible is if Shinji somehow used instrumentality to overwrite the previous reality or if all of rebuild was an illusory world like the au earth seen at the end of the tv series.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”