Evangelion 2.0 North American Screening Dates

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
soundwaveCA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby soundwaveCA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 pm

I have to say that was an awful experience. First of all the funk in the theater was overpowering as anime fans obviously don't shower. The picture and audio quality was absolute trash, I could have just stayed home and watched my Japanese import blu-ray copy and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. I swear the audio was coming out of one speaker with the sub-woofer cranked up.

Very disappointed in not having the dub, was pretty much the only reason I wanted to go to see in the first place to see if Funi improved it from the first film.

Either way I would never go see another anime like this ever again, just a terrible experience all around. I wanted so bad to have Summer Wars get this kinda treatment but now I'm glad they didn't.

apu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby apu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 pm

I just came back from the 1.0 screening in NYC and it was fucking fantastic! I'm seeing 2.0 tomorrow at 3:30...can't wait!

headpower
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby headpower » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:17 am

I had to register an account to post my rant about the screening. First of all, I didnt expect they just play the movie on a computer and project it on the big screen, this complete distorts the colour of the film, and makes everything super washed out, it is so bad on some of the dark glory fighting scenes, if you havent watch the imported blu ray or dvd , you have no idea wth are you seeing half the time. Should have saved the money and just buy the funi blu ray in the future.
asdasdasd

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 am

I'm not mad about the lack of screenings anymore. This is hilarious.
Funimation couldn't even scrape actual film together.

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:11 am

Kind of unprofessional to actually show the menu to press play and turn on the subtitles.

But anyway, observations:

- It was indeed in Japanese with subtitles. Didn't mind, as I'm more used to the original voices for the characters.
- Found it hilarious that they had to have subtitles for Kaji's Engrish skills. While I can understand subtitling his lines, it was odd to some of the other English lines that were much more understandable (such as Mari).
- Wish the film would have fit the whole screen.
- Crowd was actually not that bad. Strangely, they laughed more at the two random personnel's English rather than Kaji.
SPOILER: Show
Kaji's almost kiss with Shinji and Zeruel eating Eva-00 got some pretty hilarious reactions as well.

- Someone in the audience after
SPOILER: Show
Eva-03's destruction,

"That was fucked up."

- They kept the original title card, eyecatch, and preview screens, as well as the rainbow effect on the credits. I heard they didn't do this for 1.0.
- Unfortunately, someone decided to turn on the lights during the credits. Though it wasn't that hard to see the last scene, but still...

Overall, nice way to spend the evening. Can't wait until 3.0 comes out two years from now!

ERNIEMEX
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ERNIEMEX » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 am

I gotta say that 2.0 was an amazing movie, but the fact it wasnt dubbed really got to me. that was the only reason why i went. other than the 1 hour and 50 min of ear rape, the movie was fantastic

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:07 am

The theater in Greensboro finally listed the movie. I should be going with some friends this week to see it. I'm surprised it's rated "R" only because the first was "PG-13". I obviously need to study the rating system in Japan and how it effects marketing. Their standards don't seem to be the same as the ones in the States.

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 am

I went and saw it last night and it was awesome, I enjoyed it all over again. So, so glad it was in Japanese.
I brought my sister, who I forced to watch the series a while ago, and I made her watch 1.0 last week. She loved it too. I also brought a friend who hadn't seen any Eva before, and now he's going to watch 1.0, so I am slowly recruiting new fans...

Apjak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Apjak » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 am

I'm seeing a double feature tonight in Kansas City.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 am

View Original PostSanctus Scorpius wrote:-They kept the original title card, eyecatch, and preview screens, as well as the rainbow effect on the credits. I heard they didn't do this for 1.0.

I saw 1.0 dub in theaters (in SF :3 ) a year back and Funi didn't even keep the title card/preview screens/to be continued text for the DVD/BD releases which was a slight disappointment. Glad they got their act together for the 2.0 showing. The closest the film is showing near me is NYC (3 hours away!) and it keeps snowing on and off the past week, so no way in hell I'm going. I can wait for the DVD release.

Somehow I'm not surprised that folks are having mixed experiences, although it sounds like audience turnout is good. When I saw 1.0 dub the year before last, my ride and I were the only two people in the theater. Granted, we attended a Monday afternoon showing, but still... >_>
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:41 am

I thought about going to see it but the NYC showings don't work with my schedule.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The theater in Greensboro finally listed the movie. I should be going with some friends this week to see it. I'm surprised it's rated "R" only because the first was "PG-13". I obviously need to study the rating system in Japan and how it effects marketing. Their standards don't seem to be the same as the ones in the States.
Japan doesn't have a PG-13 rating or an R rating. They have G, PG-12, R15+, and R18+. None of the Evangelion films are rated in Japan. FUNimation had 1.0 rated by the MPAA. They didn't have 2.0 rated by the MPAA, but some theaters list unrated movies under the ratings they assume they'd get (e.g. Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa was shown as PG-13 at the theater at which I saw it, Gantz was shown as R).

As for everyone annoyed it wasn't dubbed, you can usually look that sort of thing up before watching the movie. For example, at my theater, you can clearly see the Japanese actors listed under "STARRING" with no gaijin names in sight.

More importantly, is everyone dissatisfied with the picture and audio quality, or does it vary from theater to theater? I remember there being a general complaint about 1.0's theatrical run from 2009 that it was too yellow. I'm considering trying to attend a matinee showing of 1.0 to see what the quality's like before going with anyone to 2.0.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:More importantly, is everyone dissatisfied with the picture and audio quality, or does it vary from theater to theater? I remember there being a general complaint about 1.0's theatrical run from 2009 that it was too yellow. I'm considering trying to attend a matinee showing of 1.0 to see what the quality's like before going with anyone to 2.0.

Hiccups in the quality of the showiings seem to be fairly commonplace in these limited screenings. Its almost as if the theatres dont care and give off a half-assed screening performance. My 1.0 showing at my local theater a year and a half ago was terrible. Aspect ratio on screen was 4:3. The freakin lens was not focused properly. And hell the fucking colours were all faded.....

Instead of being purple with bright green, Unit 01 was light purple and shades of grey-ish green. It was horrendous.....

Thankfully the screening of 2.0 was a VAST improvement over that 1.0 debacle. Although last night's screening wasnt completely free of issues as I'll later explain in a seperate post..... :doh:

purplepolecat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby purplepolecat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm happy to report that the Cineplex in Richmond, BC did NOT screw up too badly ! After a couple of false starts and volume adjustments, it all went smoothly, and it was an enjoyable experience.

About 50 people in the theater, which is more than I was expecting based on the turnout for 1.0 last year. I guess that promoting an event actually works ! This bodes well for theatrical anime releases in the future.

The naked Asuka in kitchen scene and the KajixShinji moment got a big laugh, other than that people were pretty quiet.

The movie was played from Blu-Ray, which was fine in terms of quality. Does the regular R2 BD have english subs, or is this a special version ?

[EDIT: this was my 4th viewing of 2.0, and even with the benefit of subs, I only just managed to figure out what Kaji is trying to say in that weird Engrish sentence at the start of the movie. The fact that there is no immediate stampede to the private jet hangar probably means that no-one in the movie understood him either. And zat was the final concrusion.]
Last edited by purplepolecat on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Yikes! Now I'm nervous.

Someone going to tonight's Indy showing — let me know how it turns out. I know you're out there.

They're showing it the whole weekend, so I'm hoping they don't f it up...

iain
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 pm

View Original Postiain wrote:I won a ticket to the Burlington show, so I'm heading out in 1/2 hour to get to the theatre. I thought it would be appropriate to wear the 'Shinjuku III' t-shirt I got at the theatre in Tokyo where I first saw Eva 2.0.

I just hope it makes a little more sense this time! :???: :???:

Operation:FAILED!

The nitwits at the Burlington Cinema couldn't get the sound to work (and they were convinced it was a problem with the BD player; kept re-booting it) so after an hour they gave up and sent us home with two free passes. Fat lot of good that does me; I just wanted to see Eva 2.0. I've been firing angry but polite emails to everyone involved, maybe I can score a free disc out of this debacle.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Anyone who's seeing (or has seen) the movie at the DFW showing (Southlake 14), please let me know how it turns out. I'd love to see the movie in a theater but am reluctant to take a nigh hour-long trip to experience any of these problems.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

View Original Postpurplepolecat wrote:The movie was played from Blu-Ray, which was fine in terms of quality. Does the regular R2 BD have english subs, or is this a special version ?

The Japanese BD doesn't have English subs.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Question for people who saw the film in theaters: So Kaji's Engrish was subtitled (thank god >_>) but what about the song lyrics for Today is the Day for Goodbye (Bardiel versus Dummy Plug) and Please Give Me Wings (Rescuing Ayanami Sequence)? I'd hope they would be subtitled because the lyrics do fit with both scenes, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

NaveryW: Is it any consolation that the only problem I dealt with for the 1.0 dub SF showing in 2009 was an empty theater? I really think the issues do vary from theater to theater, if it's a venue that's already decent, you shouldn't have many problems, I'd think.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Anyone seen the film at the ImagienAsien theater in NYC? There's one or two more sparse showings in the week but I'd rather not schlep to Manhattan and pay NYC prices to see what is just a glorified (and badly projected) DVD.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”