WTF is yer avatar & sig from?! (e)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:20 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:And you are not telling, I guess?

He posted it in the Avatar Theme thread. It has to do with Pringles.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks Ornette. The only post by BobBQ this time on Movember is just a short note "Never Forget" pointing to a youtube video (for what kind of reference I could not tell). If he has posted the reason for picking the Pringles mustaches in the Avatar Theme Thread it must be quite some time back. The first post in that thread about Movember this year was by Faz IIRC.

Without any knowledge of the Movember history in this thread, everyone (including newcomers - what do they know about the history of this forum?) picking only one mustache style seems just a bit lazy or conformist to me. Hence my praise to TDSA for his refreshing change. I read the Movember rules and I think it does not prescribe one style of mustache, just that it does not join to the sideburns or let it become a goatee.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:55 pm

That's the video related to "Pringles", which has a slogan, which the commentator used, and the trademark has a guy with a curly mustache. Did you watch the video, at least? This is the first time Movember has ever been referenced on this forum. All previous times people started putting mustaches on their avatars are strictly related to that video.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Fuck da Knicks.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Neh I say!

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:15 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:He posted it in the Avatar Theme thread. It has to do with Pringles.

I'm ignoring that, on the account that I hate Pringles Whatever makes them stack-able, also makes them taste like cardboard, I'm doing it for this.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Hmmm...give Wile E. Coyote a mustache while wearing the Sailor Suit of Sailor Tin Nyanko for an avatar or just go get an new avatar that already has a mustache.

Decisions, decisions...
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:That's the video related to "Pringles", which has a slogan, which the commentator used, and the trademark has a guy with a curly mustache. Did you watch the video, at least?

I watched but admittedly did not finish as it did not strike me as it can be the sole reason that influenced everyone to the extent that the Pringles style and only that style is the one everybody should get in this forum for Movember. I expect more context besides the video - what is the compulsion to refer only to that video year after year? Did some colorful incident happen? What BobBQ said just seems to be like some inner circle clique having in-joke fun at the exclusion of people like TDSA (and smirking at them for having no idea). This is what miffed me.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Wait, what is this about me that BobBQ said about me?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 pm

I said "My thumbs up for TDSA for picking a mustache style different from everyone else. TDSA's mustache may look lazy but at least it is a refreshing change of style"

BobBQ then said "Which only goes to show that neither you nor Twin Drive understand why we have that style in the first place." without giving any elaboration.

It just seems to me like you went to a "Halloween festival party" wearing a zombie costume but everyone wore wizard or witch costume and then someone came to you and said "it only goes to show that you do not understand why we wear like this in the first place" and then went away. How do you feel?

I am neutral towards this Movember thing, but if one person decides to celebrate with a style different from everyone else, I question why he should be singled out for "not understanding why we do like this here" without bothering to provide some background information.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Never heard of this 'Movember' thing and I don't particularly care.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:54 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Never heard of this 'Movember' thing and I don't particularly care.

You're a guy, so you really should. It's all about promoting awareness of and building support for men's health (that is, being aware and getting involved works to your benefit). It's not just some stupid internet meme.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:17 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Never heard of this 'Movember' thing and I don't particularly care.

But you do care enough to post about it. Busted.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:But you do care enough to post about it. Busted.

I was just using that as bait to satiate my curiousity for this thing known as 'Movember'.

Y-yeah, all part of my plan... heh... yeah...

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

Postby classified-zerogoki » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 am

Changed from GakuenDatenroku!Asuka to Rei no. Quatre from Evangelion ANIMA.
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:33 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I am neutral towards this Movember thing, but if one person decides to celebrate with a style different from everyone else, I question why he should be singled out for "not understanding why we do like this here" without bothering to provide some background information.

Movember never had anything thing to do with the curleh moustache before now, and I only referenced it because I noticed it was November. Before now it was always just an "add a curleh moustache to your avatar" thing, there was never a message behind it, and it wasn't really my intention to create some great awareness about Movember or anything, but it's still good that more people do know about it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:15 am

^ Thanks Faz.

Then I wonder why BobBQ said "Which only goes to show that neither you nor Twin Drive understand why we have that style in the first place." There just does not seem to be any compelling reason why everyone has that mustache style. The link that he attached the video with the word "Don't Forget" made it look like there was some past story behind the choice of the Pringles style. Perhaps I just over-think things.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:What BobBQ said just seems to be like some inner circle clique having in-joke fun at the exclusion of people like TDSA (and smirking at them for having no idea).

Tomorrow I will make a special topic just for the two of you. It will not be funny.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Much as I loved Katerose, I feel it's time to retire her in favor of Revenge Tabuki.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:43 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Perhaps I just over-think things.

This has never happened before at Evageeks. Never.

Just because you've never heard of the video before and didn't find it entertaining when you did watch it doesn't mean that we didn't. I recall a great many of us who were locating dere curleh mustaches were familliar with the video when we started, and it snowballed from there.

As a refresher, the original curleh mustache gang:

16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Mustache The END was cute and all, now it's a mother f**king LANGOLIER! BEWARE THE LANGOLIERS! Now I'm off to eat an over reacting businessman that probably tastes like ham.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”