Pictures Thread

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Our dogs (mostly the husky) attacked a white-tailed deer this morning. It seems as though the doe attempted to jump over the gate to the back area of our property, but got her foot caught on a loop of wire, rendering her helpless. Our neighbor notified my brother and I about the incident (pretty much no way of knowing whether the dogs are just barking at something or actually attacking it unless you're looking), and we got to the doe and tried to help her as quickly as we could, but we were too late. She died shortly after we got the dogs away and freed her foot.

I took some pictures of the scene. Call it irreverent or gross, but it's just how I roll. The worst thing is the blood, but if you're squeamish you might want to beware.

Big image warning; maybe I'll do something about it later.

http://evageeks.org/images/reichu/dead-doe_1.jpg
http://evageeks.org/images/reichu/dead-doe_2.jpg
http://evageeks.org/images/reichu/dead-doe_3.jpg

Better do something about that carcass, too... Too bad the folks are away for the weekend and my brother is an ineffectual germophobe.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Shock I guess? Doesn't look like has any especially fatal wounds unless hit an artery in that leg, or has worse wounds on side we can't see. Quite a bit of blood though.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:56 pm

If deer’s blood smells anything likes dog’s blood, then the whole place must have stunk like hell.

I’d have to agree with Nemz about the deer dieing of shock, the wounds just don’t look severe enough to have been fatal. Poor things heart probably just gave out.
Last edited by child of Lilith on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:42 pm

As I've mentioned tangentially, I went to Cahokia mounds yesterday. They were built about 1000 years ago by the Mississippian culture, and the largest of the mounds, Monk's Mound, (from which these pictures were taken), is about 110 feet tall and about a football field long. It was the second largest prehistoric structure built in the western hemisphere, behind one of the pyramids the Aztecs built. Incidentally, the name Monk's Mound doesn't come from its function in the ancient city, but from the fact that there was a small French chapel that occupied a portion of the mound in the early 1700s.

It's a four terrace structure, although due to erosion, it's difficult to make out even three. The only fairly clear terraces are the first and third terraces, with the fourth terrace only visible as a small rise at the back of the third. The second terrace is almost completely eroded away, although there's been some restoration effort being put forth into it.

First picture here is taken from the side. The first terrace is at left, which rises into the third terrace in the center. If you notice, it kicks upward just a bit towards the right. That's the fourth terrace.

I took some panoramic shots from the top, too. You'll have to forgive the PERSPECTIVE.

This one was taken from the top of the stairs heading up to the first terrace. If you look closely at the next terrace, you can see the left side's a little less steep than the right. That's what's left of the second terrace.

This one was taken from the stairs leading up from the third terrace, looking south towards four or five other mounds in the complex. There's also a slight rise in the first terrace, on the right. This was the location of the temple in the original complex. It burned down several times, and the debris built it up into a little mound in itself. Incidentally, this is where the French decided to located their chapel as well.

The last view is off to the west, towards St. Louis. If you squint, you might be able to just make it out on the horizon near the center of the pan. The perspective is pretty bad on this one. The unmowed area in the middle is part of the second terrace, most of it slumped off in a small landslide.

In all honesty, there wasn't a lot to do at Cahokia, though. There's a small museum in the interpretive center, although even giving all the exhibits justice, it's about a 20 minute walk through.

However, it is a fascinating experience to go there and wonder how impressive it must have looked in its heyday, when it was surrounded by prairie land instead of patchy forest and city; when it was still intact with a city of 20,000 living on and around them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:33 am

Those are some very nice pics you took, CorpralChaos.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:19 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Call it irreverent or gross, but it's just how I roll.

Do you want to be friends?

And apparently it's pretty easy to die from bleeding. Watching too much anime has convinced me that I could still run a mile or two after having my stomach cut open.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 am

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Do you want to be friends?

:nyao:

Watching too much anime has convinced me that I could still run a mile or two after having my stomach cut open.

:lol:

I'm wondering if internal trauma may have played some role in the doe's death as well. When we found the doe, she was literally hanging upside down against the metal gate (the one splattered with blood in the photos), with her left foot gruesomely held in place by a very tight loop of wire. It would have taken a failed attempt to leap over the gate to get her into the predicament, so that basically entails a rather unpleasant fall. Hit her head too hard, maybe? And she looked pregnant, too...

Alas... A mystery it must be.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:28 pm

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:Cahokia mounds

Ahh... my 8th grade field trip. It's improved significantly since I first went, as the grounds are actually maintained regularly and not just a bunch of unmowed grass fields and mud pits. The visitor's center is a HUGE upgrade from the former version, a moldy log cabin near monk's mound that was more roadside gift shop than information repository. The main mound itself didn't have stairs then either.

There's a lot more to the site than it appears, as the mounds extend for dozens of miles in all directions and also include a fairly nifty Stonehenge-like wooden sundial. Most of the mounds were not used for burial and thus were not realized to be of archaeological significance until much later, after many of them had been leveled or built on.

It's also worth noting that at the height of the mound builder's culture Cahokia was both larger and more densely populated than contemporary London or Paris.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nightquest
Embryo

Postby Nightquest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Hope you guys like cats. Click for full-size.

They're all Nikon D90, Aperture priority, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 for those that like to know that stuff.

Heeeey, my little cat is almost like yours :D

But she's fatter than yours xD

"And extinguishing will now be the only way to diminish your sins,
This vortex can't be filled up again, a hole in space and time..."

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

LinkIsMyHero
Embryo

Postby LinkIsMyHero » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 am

4 AM is too late (early?) to be mixing. I don't know how club DJs do it. :<
http://www.bemanistyle.com

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:43 pm

I was bored and made a small edit to one of my old pictures.

...some people might find it a tad offensive.
SPOILER: Show
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:50 pm

I guess I'm quite desensitized because I found that funny. Too much 4chan.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:02 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:I was bored and made a small edit to one of my old pictures.

Well, yeah... your nose, your lips, the way you shave your head...

People will definitely find that offensive.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:I was bored and made a small edit to one of my old pictures. (...) some people might find it a tad offensive.

You remind me of this musical artist, Pizza-kun. This song is called "Histoires de luv". This is the best day ever.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:42 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:I was bored and made a small edit to one of my old pictures.

I can see why some people would find this offensive, but I don’t happen to one of them. If anything I find the picture slightly confusing. Is the picture trying to imply that you had something to do with the explosion? Is your expression meant to convey how little you care about the events taking place right before your eyes? Are you some kind of giant monster attacking the city? Honestly the picture just conjures up so many different questions in my mind that I feel like I’m walking down a hall of mirrors, and thus have no time to be offended.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 pm

that's more surreal than anything honestly

you have a rather meh look on your face, you could either be looking indifferent or sad as to what's happening behind you

these, for compartive example, both seem worse:
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/thecoup.asp
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Dtlsfny.jpg
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:the picture just conjures up so many different questions in my mind that I feel like I’m walking down a hall of mirrors, and thus have no time to be offended.

I'm going to play the "it's open up to different interpretations" card. I think that's one of Anno's cards as well.
View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:You remind me of this musical artist, Pizza-kun.

I think I see why you say that...
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:33 am

View Original PostOtakon 08 Ikari wrote:http://i47.tinypic.com/wbxlhf.jpg

Ha nice hookah action bra.

My gf and I in front of Chan's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood

A lil party throw cuz one of my friends was joining the army. [girl]
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Camera's a bit f**ked up tight now, so you'll have to settle for something older. Just add two years to this.

Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:19 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Camera's a bit f**ked up tight now, so you'll have to settle for something older. Just add two years to this.

Add two years of what? Beard? Semi-angry face? Brown shirt? What?!!!!!!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Old Stickies”