What's so great about nostalgia?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:40 am

It sells well in troubled times.

Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:07 am

CorporalChaos wrote:Because in the end, no matter how terrible our childhood might have been, we tend to remember the good things, the things that we enjoyed, and since our life is always the drudgery it has been and will be, it's nice to go back and live in a time that your memories tell you was a golden time. Or something like that.

I get what you’re saying, it’s just that I’ve never felt that way myself so it’s kind of hard for me to relate to that sort of idea.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:39 am

Nostalghia is pretty cool dude awwright

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Xard wrote:Nostalghia is pretty cool dude awwright

Ah, indeed! Good call, Xard.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Because new things are horrible (video games and anime).

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

toe mash wrote:No pokemon season is good for adults. Seriously. None of them.

First season. Srsly. Oh, and the first movie. Like seriously, my friends and I watched the first move last semester... It brought tears to my eyes (this time around)
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 pm

I have certain lingering problems with adultescence, but they aren't because I sit around all day watching Thundercats and Duck Tales. Maybe once, or less often twice, a year, I get the urge to marathon kiddy stuff. Every few years I might pull out my collection of My Little Ponies. Sometimes it's nice to touch base with the things that pulled me through those horrible childhood years.

While there are many things about being a child that we should be glad to leave behind, others, IMO, we should try to never forget. I'm not quite sure how to describe them without sounding like I'm romanticizing, though...

Allemann wrote:Because new things are horrible (video games and anime).

You've just forgotten about the 90% of video games and anime from Way Back When that were utter crap, amirite?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Didn't Toffler predict something like this? Perhaps the need for nostalgia in the young is the tipping point of accelerated change.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Reichu wrote:You've just forgotten about the 90% of video games and anime from Way Back When that were utter crap, amirite?

More like 95%, and this rule applies to all things at all times. (not that people agree what 5% doesn't, however...)

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”