[Sports] Who's your team?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Well the dust has settled. Most of my picks survived surprisingly.

So Seahawks, Packers for the NFC title match up. Going to go with my Seahawks here. We already beat Green Bay this year, but anything is possible. Still, going with Seattle.

And Patriots, Colts for the AFC match up. I was quite surprised to see the Broncos fall. While I'd like to see Indianapolis take New England down, I have to pick the Patriots here.

So my picks for the Super Bowl match up are Seattle and New England.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: [Sports] Who's your team?

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Bump... ^Heh, you predicted the Super Bowl.

As I said last year, there aren't many things in sports I enjoy more than divisional weekend. I'm not too interested in the AFC side of things, though I may tune into the pregame show for the Steelers-Broncos just to see highlights of Pittsburgh getting Tebowed back in 2012 :lol:
I've really looking forward to both NFC games though, and would LOVE for the Panthers and Cardinals to both advance to the conference finals. Cam Newton is such a fun player to watch and the Cardinals used to play their home games in my neighborhood decades ago. Also, I hate the Packers with a passion, and am sick of the seeing the Seahawks advance far in the playoffs(the Seahawks beat the Bears back in 2012 in this game that I'm still not over yet). Anyway, here's hoping to no blowouts, cheapshots, or bad referee calls that will cause the "twitterverse" to go up in arms.
My picks(from the heart, not the brain) : Chiefs, Broncos, Cards, Panthers
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Vikings! ... :sniffle:

I want to pull for the Steelers but if Big Ben is hurt there's little chance of that. I guess I'll end up hoping the Packers take it so I can say my team beat the superbown champs in the divison. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:18 am

Yup, its that time of the year again.

Seeing as Seattle is my home team (Grew up and live in Washington and been a Seahawks fan since my middle school years) I'd like to pick them over Carolina, but seeing as they beat us already this year and by all rights we should have lost against Minnesota, I am leaning toward Carolina winning that match up. Despite the fact we did well in the latter portion of the season, Carolina outmatches us this year. I see Arizona taking Green bay out, leaving Carolina and Arizona for the conference championship game.

On the AFC side, going with Kansas City over New England and Denver over Pittsburgh so KC and Denver for the AFC title match. KC is pretty hot right now so I can see them taking NE out. I pick Denver due to Big Ben being injured. It's going to be one heck of an uphill battle for them to bring Denver down I think.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Out of the teams left, I'd like to see Peyton Manning and the Broncos win it all. But going against the Steelers this weekend even without their top reciever and running backs won't be easy. I say Broncos win but it'll be closer than expected.

Chiefs vs Patriots seems like the most interesting game this weekend. Defending champs vs the Chiefs who have won 11 straight. I still have to give the edge to the Patriots. Can't count out Tom Brady, but wouldn't mind KC winning.

On the NFC side of things I'll be going for Arizona and Carolina but I think Green Bay and Seattle will end up winning and meeting in the NFC championship.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Man, I don't know what I was thinking, shoulda picked the Patriots, and I wasn't able to watch a second of the Packers/Cards game which'll probably go down as the game of the year. It was really nice to see Palmer and Fitzgerald get the win though, and their game with the Panthers seems like it'll be a pretty good match up. It's also nice to see that the team representing the NFC will have a chance to win their first SB title.

And the billionth AFC title game match-up between Brady and Manning should be very interesting to watch as well. The Patriots have a lot to prove, what with all that deflated football crap the world had to go through back in 2015, and the Broncos are gonna want to win it for Manning, though I personally don't think this is actually his last season. I imagine the Broncos defense is going to play pretty tough as always, but I think the Patriots will pull through.

SB prediction: Pats v. Panthers in a SB 38 rematch, though I'm pretty much fine with any of the four teams making it and winning it all. I used to strongly dislike Manning, but he's a good player and seems like a good dude so I wouldn't mind seeing him go out on top. Wouldn't mind seeing Brady and Belichick win title number five either, essentially making them the GOATs.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 pm

Congratulations Denver Broncos!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:21 am

Yeah, anybody who can knock the damn patriots out of the running is okay in my book. I was rooting for Peyton to hit 200 and call it a day.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:29 am

Glad to see Denver win and Peyton to go out with a bang. (No doubts he's going to retire)

Tough loss for Carolina, but so glad to see them put Newton in his place. From all those tantrums he pulled tonight along with him blowing off the press like he did, he's got a lot to learn. Don't get me wrong, he's a great QB and does some great charity work, he just seriously needs to lose the cocky attitude.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:18 pm

I think a lot of the way Newton acted was influenced by that wonderful Denver defense. Carolina's offense was clicking so well all year(they embarrassed the Cardinals, and they were no chumps at all) and then he absolutely could not get anything going. It's like when you play a first person shooter and you start out 0-10. Von Miller was just straight up awesome in this game and against the Pats and has earned my life long respect.

I actually really wanted to see the Panthers win, but alas. Life goes on.

Now, bring on the MLB season!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Was also probably influenced by Chris Harris' interview just on the other side of that black curtain and he was yelling or taunting or something about how Cam Newton couldn't throw the ball. Even his mic picked it up.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 am

I just read about that. In all honesty, I think most people would be mad to hear someone trash talking like that just a room away while having to face the media themselves. Bad decision on the NFL's part to have the post-game interview rooms that close to each other.

I think that yeah, it can be safely said that that did not help things.

I had a discussion with my boss at work about the game and and have better revised my thoughts on the matter. We agreed that no doubt there was a lot of frustration and anger, not only due to him and the offense not being able to really do much the entire game due to Denver's defense, but also for the loss as a whole. I mean, he's only human, emotions do get the best of us at times. I'd rather still though have seen him take it with much more grace than he did. I have the same sort of thinking for players across various teams that have picked fights after a tough loss. Sure, it'll make one feel better, but getting into a confrontation like that is quickly going to turn the public, and fellow players against them. (I'm a fan of Russell Wilson, and despite however the game went, win or lose, its always with grace and never have seen him bad mouth any other player or team. I wish more would go by his example.)

Newton and the Panthers will have their day I'm sure. He's a phenomenal QB with a fantastic team. Denver just had his and their number that entire game. No doubt it will be a learning experience and they'll all come back stronger and more refined.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am

Joy Evangelion wrote:As the NFL playoffs are one of my favorite sport events of the year, I'm very glad to see them underway. Since the Chicago Bears embarrassed me, my family, and my city I hope some other Evageeks are fans of teams that are still alive.

Joy Evangelion wrote:As I said last year, there aren't many things in sports I enjoy more than divisional weekend.

Bump....Sports! Some things never change, as I'm still all about the NFL Divisional Playoffs. It's cool this year in that we've got some different teams playing as opposed to the same old same old(Ravens, Packers, Giants, Seahawks). I wouldn't have minded seeing the Rams make it to at least this weekend, but I've got a lot of respect for Matt Ryan so I can't hate. I would like to see Foles pull it through for the Eagles though, or at least an entertaining game. My other picks;

Pats over the Titans- I don't mind the Titans, but I think this one will be a beat down. TB12 well snap off I think.

Jags over the Steelers- Bortles will have the game of his life, then lose next week and fall off in 2018.

Vikings over Saints- Vikings defense steps up and gets a pick six or two.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm

How weird is it to say saints will upset the vikings?
well thats my pick anyway

Eagles find a way to win, even though id rather the Falcons get a super bowl well mainly Matt Ryan.

And man oh man would i love a Jaguars vs Titans afc matchup.. Not a fan of either team but really, patriots? steelers ? :sleep:

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 am

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:How weird is it to say saints will upset the vikings?
well thats my pick anyway

It's like January 2010 all over again. I'd really love to see the Vikings win though, after rooting hard against them back in 2010(they had Favre then, and Bears fans could never really stand him). It'd be cool to see a team play the Super Bowl in their home stadium, ya know? But I also kinda feel like they'll choke, as that's kind of their M O.

It would kind of be funny though to see Jags v Titans for the conference since it would make the NFL all salty. The game would probably end with a score of 3 - 2 ;)

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:12 pm

I'd be ok with that if it means having new teams reach the Super Bowl :tongue: .though you can never count out Brady and Belichick.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Currently on the ground in Philly, prepared to document to collapse of modern society from a sports bar a pal owns down here. If there's going to be anything close to The Purge style anarchy, It'll go down here in about 5 hours. It will be magnificent. Fly Eagles Fly
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:19 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Currently on the ground in Philly, prepared to document to collapse of modern society from a sports bar a pal owns down here. If there's going to be anything close to The Purge style anarchy, It'll go down here in about 5 hours. It will be magnificent. Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah, that's the reaction if they win.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:30 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Yeah, that's the reaction if they win.

I'm expecting total chaos in either result. Philly's a city looking for any excuse to boil over into complete disarray.

EDIT, 24 HRS LATER: DAMN.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 pm

^ Thankfully, they at least coated the lamp posts with hydraulic fluid this time around. Still didn't stop them from setting shit on fire though......
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”