Synchronized watchings/viewings.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FLCL2
Embryo

Synchronized watchings/viewings.

Postby FLCL2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:39 am

This idea has been floating around in my head for quite some time now, and I thought I would post it here and see what everybody thought.

This came from an an event that me, Logan and several other people did. We pulled up a movie, and then we all played it at the same time and commented on it while we watched. Hence the title, "Synchronized Viewings."

Now, what I was thinking was, if people want to do this, we could meet once a week on IRC and do synchronized viewings of movies and TV shows that people suggest.

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:22 am

You would have to pick some pretty common movies that a lot of people have (like The Matrix, Fight Club, Dark Knight), or give people plenty of time to get a hold of it.

FLCL2
Embryo

Postby FLCL2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:39 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:You would have to pick some pretty common movies that a lot of people have (like The Matrix, Fight Club, Dark Knight), or give people plenty of time to get a hold of it.

That's why I suggested once a week, it would give people plenty of time to buy them, rent them thorough whatever service they use, or to download them off of p2p networks. I personally don't condone the use of p2p networks unless you delete the movie/show after viewing it and buying it if you liked it.

I don't think I stated this in the topic post, but the main reason I want to do this is so we can shows and movies that we like, while at the same time commentating on them as we watch them.

Edit: I forgot this option, RTSP streaming with VLC.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:07 pm

FLCL2 wrote:Edit: I forgot this option, RTSP streaming with VLC.

That's what Radiohead did like a year ago for their last concert of a tour. Sadly, I missed it. :(

But anyways I'd be game.

Well for what to watch each week I'd suggest setting up like a schedule type thing first then just winging it for what to watch the next week.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:48 am

Don't know how many people would buy them, and it never is a good idea to encourage piracy. If you have to do something, stay within the law. Better make a list of what movies everyone has in common and decide on them.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FLCL2
Embryo

Postby FLCL2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:53 am

UrsusArctos wrote:never is a good idea to encourage piracy.

That's why I suggested RTSP streaming with VLC, you know, kind of like what Mogulus/Livestream does. Nobody would be pirating anything, and you still get a chance to check out the movie.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:19 pm

FLCL2 wrote:
UrsusArctos wrote:never is a good idea to encourage piracy.

That's why I suggested RTSP streaming with VLC, you know, kind of like what Mogulus/Livestream does. Nobody would be pirating anything, and you still get a chance to check out the movie.

So basically one person would be streaming the movie out to everyone else?

If that's the case, this discussion is over.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 pm

We should do The Room next. Horrible independent film that comes off as a comedy.

FLCL2
Embryo

Postby FLCL2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:05 pm

I take it you enjoyed the 1.11 screening from last night? Anyways, yeah I can (legitimately) get a temporary copy of The Room, if anybody wants to participate.

Edit: I was also thinking we could do some of the Genius Party shorts.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:19 pm

It should be noted that anyone connected to the stream can just save a copy of it themselves. The person providing the stream would be giving out copies of copyrighted material which they don't own and don't have permission from the copyright holder to distribute. So if you are streaming movies to people, don't involve this forum.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah, besides some of the problems, it was enjoyable.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:27 pm

^agreed.

:nyao:

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Logan Payne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:31 pm

What Ornette said because copyright holders are serious business.

FLCL2
Embryo

Postby FLCL2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 pm

It seems there's a legal way I have to go about doing this. First I have to get into contact with the copyright owners of the media, and then we work out how much I have to pay in royalties before I can legally stream the media. Which means I'll only be able to do this either monthly or bi-monthly, and it also means that sometimes we won't be able to stream certain movies or shows f th copyright owners object to it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 pm

FLCL2 wrote:It seems there's a legal way I have to go about doing this. First I have to get into contact with the copyright owners of the media, and then we work out how much I have to pay in royalties before I can legally stream the media.

I'm not sure if this statement is brimming with naivete, or sarcasm. Either way, I don't approve.

Bad end.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”