Celebrity RIP Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:28 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Vulcans do not LACK emotion; they simply train themselves to suppress emotion. Spock is not a full-blooded Vulcan, either, and his life constituted an ongoing struggle to find an identity for himself between seemingly polar extremes (humans embrace emotion, Vulcans do not). He's a rightfully beloved character. Check out some of Nimoy's work if you have the time.

Sad to see Nimoy go, but I can't say TOS cast deaths are altogether unexpected at this point. I guess statistically, Nichols is likely to be the last one standing.

I will bawl like a baby when Takei goes. I hope that doesn't happen for awhile.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Farewell Spock

\V/

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Farewell Spock

\V/

Shouldn't that be:

\\V//
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:14 am

RIP Leonard Nimoy. :(
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:53 am

Goodbye, Leonard Nimoy. You will be missed.

SPOILER: Show
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:16 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Shouldn't that be:

\\V//

That depends on whether you count the slashes as fingers or as the gaps between them, so both \V/ and \\V// are accurate. There's also \V/_ for the thumb.

And another variant of my creation -

\\V//
|= |//

It's more than a touch disturbing to give the classic Vulcan salute when its creator is dead. The greeting accompanying it was "Live long and prosper", after all.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:59 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
It's more than a touch disturbing to give the classic Vulcan salute when its creator is dead. The greeting accompanying it was "Live long and prosper", after all.

But he did both of those.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:14 am

oh Ursus :coffee:

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:It's more than a touch disturbing to give the classic Vulcan salute when its creator is dead. The greeting accompanying it was "Live long and prosper", after all.

It's based on an established Jewish blessing, so . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:But he did both of those.

Absolutely, yes, and logically one would assume that the Vulcan salute continue to be given to honor the soundness of its creator's philosophy. Emotionally, it hurts to think he is no longer alive.

Fireball wrote:oh Ursus :coffee:

...what?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 am

I don't even know what to say. Here is Monk who is going fussy over ascii and then you finding it disturbing that people pay their respect through the sign said person made popular in the first place. Not to mention when Spock died he did the same. I'm sure Nimoy wouldn't mind at all.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:24 am

He wouldn't mind - I was just thinking about it personally. Nimoy's very last tweet included "LLAP" after all.

_\\//

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:09 pm

All his tweets included LLAP.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:59 pm

It really is sad news. Both my father and uncle are huge trekkies, so they're probably both feeling really depressed right now.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:38 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Vulcans do not LACK emotion; they simply train themselves to suppress emotion. Spock is not a full-blooded Vulcan, either, and his life constituted an ongoing struggle to find an identity for himself between seemingly polar extremes (humans embrace emotion, Vulcans do not). He's a rightfully beloved character. Check out some of Nimoy's work if you have the time.

Sad to see Nimoy go, but I can't say TOS cast deaths are altogether unexpected at this point. I guess statistically, Nichols is likely to be the last one standing.

This is why i love Reichu. :asuka_thumbsup:
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:19 am

And what could be a greater tribute to Nimoy than this?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU[/url]
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

Terry Pratchett - defying dementia for so long; but no longer.

[url]http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/12/8199805/terry-pratchett-is-dead-at-66[/url]

His death was not an assisted suicide, although he campaigned for the acceptance of that route.
Last edited by pwhodges on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:44 am

Heard about it on the radio just now actually. A real shame- the Discworld series are some of my favourite books of all time.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 am

Fuck.

Excuse me, but I'll really need a stiff one.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/24/terry-pratchett-angry-not-jolly-neil-gaiman

BTW, he, of all things, helped created the popular Skyrim mod Vilja by scripting some parts of it personally.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:37 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”