Celebrity RIP Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Apparently, Robin Williams had the early stages of Parkinson's Disease according to his current wife. It's really a shame. If he had made it public, him and Michael J. Fox could've teamed up and lit the world on fire for Parkinson's research.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:31 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Apparently, Robin Williams had the early stages of Parkinson's Disease according to his current wife. It's really a shame. If he had made it public, him and Michael J. Fox could've teamed up and lit the world on fire for Parkinson's research.

Sadly, not everyone has the will to confront a potentially fatal disease and try to accept its existence.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:48 pm

I doubt this was about Parkinson's. That would have been the trigger, but not the cause. I know there are poster's here who are much more qualified to talk about depression than me (I'm only an observer: I don't suffer from it, but I have loved ones who do), but the thing about depression (especially as severe as it was in Robin William's case), is that it takes a very little thing to suddenly spin out of control and create a hopeless, insurmountable issue in the eyes of the sufferer.

He was probably struggling with it, and then it became an issue of him looking down the line at being completely wracked with Parkinson's, and being a burden on his family, and no longer being who he was, and how awful that would be, and how they would no longer look at him the way they used to, and it was better to end it now and save them the trouble. It's amazing how quickly that line of thought can escalate from 'This is tough,' to 'I need to check out and save my family/stop the pain/I don't want to play anymore.' It can be scary, too: for all we know, he could have been going about that day great. At the top of his form, with his family, and then one thing, just one thing...maybe a sudden tic, or a reminder, anything, would have set him on that path. It could have been something that he had been fighting for months, and it could have been a momentary blow that just...spiralled.

It sucks how it happened. He deserved better in life, and his family deserved to have him there with him. It can be a lesson to us, however, to keep a better eye on those in our loves who grapple with these issues, to learn how to help them through them, to take the time and effort to be patient and be there for them. Dealing with depression (for a sufferer) is not weakness, but they do need a support network to be there for them.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 am

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

I heard. RIP :(

Regarding Robin Williams: Looks like the rumors of him having money problems were squashed (he supposedly had trouble selling a house even when he lowered the price). https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/robin-williams-did-not-have-money-problems-says-rep-94711626496.html

But people who saw him a while before the suicide commented he didn't seem his usual self. It's just heartbreaking he didn't get help or nobody stepped in when people noticed he seemed different or Depressed. I know it's not easy; I've been there at times with Depression/Anxiety, but still.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Don Pardo was announcing SNL until age 96? That's amazing!
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Let's not obsess over his death, let's celebrate his life.

To lighten the mood here is Robin Williams Singing a Classic Beatles Song.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7xoC6k7PA

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Related to what I wrote before about sad clowns: Cracked does what they do once in a blue moon aka write something actually good. It's about the subject.

Sooo should we be keeping an eye on Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Oh God, then I'd really be depressed if they were gone.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 pm

It's pretty much upsetting if we in this generation are to perform deathwatches of just about anyone.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Richard Attenborough, British actor and director; five days before his 91st birthday.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:45 pm

I Just heard on the BBC. I'm rather fond of Brighton Rock. I couldn't find anything that has stated the cause of his death but I believe he has been ill for some time, hasn't he?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:49 pm

And so much else - Gandhi; Cry Freedom; The Great Escape; Shadowlands - the list goes on...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Richard Attenborough, British actor and director; five days before his 91st birthday.

Well it was expected sometime soon, still a shock though...

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm embarassed to say this, but I don't know him apart from his role as Hammond in the first two Jurassic Park movies.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:37 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Richard Attenborough, British actor and director; five days before his 91st birthday.

I had issues with some of his works, but the extent to which he popularized nature cannot be underestimated. Truly a great loss.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:the extent to which he popularized nature cannot be underestimated.

Er, that's his brother, David Attenborough.

Richard was the actor and director - the film that he was persuaded into directing to make, Gandhi (though he directed some others first, because it took him 20 years to raise the money), won eight Oscars, two for him.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Er, that's his brother, David Attenborough.

Richard was the actor and director - the film that he was persuaded into directing to make, Gandhi (though he directed some others first, because it took him 20 years to raise the money), won eight Oscars, two for him.

Yeah, I'm an idiot, pay me no mind . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:36 pm

RIP Santa

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Nooooooo Jurassic Park man ;____;
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”