[Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I haven't read these since middle school.

You knock the three books out during a slow work week in first grade and then write some single spaced fifty page book reports on them or something?

View Original PostTankred wrote:Norwegian Wood.

Haha, the first Murakami novel I read after Hard Boiled Wonderland was Norwegian Wood as well, and ditto to what dog said about it(though I'm sure he's read more of his work than ignorant me). It definitely has it's moments though and belongs to my favorite genre of literature, which is the Angry/Crazy Young Man Ficition(Catcher in the Rye, Rabbit, Run, Goodbye, Columbus, Infinite Jest, The Beautiful and Damned)
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Guy Nacks, I look at your avatar and I see David Cronenberg trying to sell me Kraft Singles.

Why is David Cronenberg selling me Kraft Singles, Guy Nacks

Also you're welcome

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:29 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Why is David Cronenberg selling me Kraft Singles, Guy Nacks

Because Walter White wants you to spread Preparation H on your butthole. Your best course would be to spread lightly.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:11 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:You knock the three books out during a slow work week in first grade and then write some single spaced fifty page book reports on them or something?
nahhh that was the first and only time I read them, didn't mean to be misleading :wink:

Anyway, I finally finished the Faerie Queene. This shit was LONG at 1050 pages, and Spenser planned for 6 more books based on 6 more virtues (though he based them on Aristotle's and I don't think there were 12...). Sheer quantity of content prevents me from going into too much detail, but each book was filled with chivalric episodes packed to the brim with references to greek and roman antiquity, each allegorical to part of Elizabeth I's reign (thank you footnotes). I'm into that stuff but even if you aren't Spenserian stanzas are really fun to read, and once you read a few they get you into a rhthym from which it is hard to extricate yourself. The thing ends with two sectiosn called the Mutabilitie Cantos; whether they were intended as an ending or not I don't know but the content is more philosophical than any of the preceding books and so is lofty enough to serve as a decent conclusion. They're also capped of by two really evocative stanzas:

When I bethinke me on that speech whyleare,
Of Mutability, and well it way:
Me seemes, that though she all vnworthy were
Of the Heav'ns Rule ; yet very sooth to say,
In all things else she beares the greatest sway.
Which makes me loath this state of life so tickle,
And loue of things so vaine to cast away;
Whose flowring pride, so fading and so fickle,
Short Time shall soon cut down with his consuming sickle.

Then gin I thinke on that which Nature sayd,
Of that same time when no more Change shall be,
But stedfast rest of all things firmely stayd
Vpon the pillours of Eternity,
That is contrayr to Mutabilitie:
For, all that moueth, doth in Change delight:
But thence-forth all shall rest eternally
With Him that is the God of Sabbaoth hight:
O thou great Sabbaoth God, graunt me that Sabaoths sight.

Currently reading Acts of Worship (some really good short stories by Mishima in here covering a wide range of topics, would strongly recommend at least reading Sword and Cigarette) and a collection of Melville's shorter fiction that I got about 1/3 of the way through a few months back and never completed. I'm in the middle of The Encantadas and there's some really wonderful imagery even by Melville's standards.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 am

Finished up The Fellowship of the Ring. Nothing much to report, other than that being so familiar with the Peter Jackson films I was thrown of by there being no battle at Amon Hen towards the end - I'm guessing that happens instead at the start of The Two Towers. Now deliberating on whether to jump right in to the next book or to take a brief detour with some Murakami (After Dark) or possibly even The Silence of the Lambs, which has been sitting on my shelf for ages.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:28 am

I think you should try and make them last by punctuating the end of each with something else. After Dark is short and sweet so that sounds good.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:42 am

Got back into reading A Song of Ice and Fire again. Most people only know the TV series for the sex to the point that it's easy to forget that ASOIAF is an epic fantasy world and GRRM is a pretty awesome writer who's created a fairly impressive mythos without the aid of any supplemental or expanded universe material by other authors. Currently I've managed to finish Book 2 of A Storm of Swords; now I'm wondering if I should keep plowing forward into the end of A Dance with Dragons or try to find a copy of The World of Ice and Fire or read some Tolkien, which has been on my mind now ever since I heard about the new collector's edition reprint.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:16 pm

ASOIAF is brilliant. I got into the series about a year before the GOT show started. I was kind of on a fantasy trip at the time, having just come of the back of reading of The Wheel of Time series (of which the two last books hadn't come out yet, IIRC). You're correct in all your praise of GRRM, Shino - dude's built this absolutely incredible setting, and I love how he manages to establish so much backstory and flavour via mere suggestion or allusion, as opposed to resorting to history/info dumps and the like. The books really break away from the genre and stride more into the realm of literature, and I personally can't wait for The Winds of Winter.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I think you should try and make them last by punctuating the end of each with something else. After Dark is short and sweet so that sounds good.

Good idea. I've also got the first three Dark Tower books on the shelf as well - another series I've been meaning to read for years. A good chance to get started between the last two LOTR books perhaps.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:41 pm

so yeah seeing as how i have been going back to obsessing over twelve kingdoms recently i finally read Demonic child by Fuyumi Ono, this actually started as a standalone horror novel that was eventually moved into the Twelve Kingdoms universe and is set shortly before the events of The Shore at Twilight, The Sky at Daybreak, since it was meant to be standalone when it was written the Taiho of Tai, Taiki is not the main character.

Instead it's his teacher who keeps noticing strange things happening around the boy, and tbh the tone of this book does not match the rest of the universe at all, not that twelve kingdoms couldn't get dark its just that the way that those scenes worked and the way these ones work really show this was shoehorned into the universe.

Also the ending is just depressing as fuck
SPOILER: Show
turns out his family was accidently poisoning Taiki by feeding him meat all this time, being a kirin meat is a big no. to add to that because he was getting weaker constantly his shirei slowly become more corrupted and violent, attacking anyone near him and then eventually the go wild and slaughter his entire family, eventually Taiki remembers everything and returns to Mount Hou (if i remember this was added later, cant remember how the original version ended) and is recognized as a full grown kirin, arrangements are made to clean Taiki of impurity and return his shirei to their senses though Taiki has lost his powers as a result of losing his horn.
he takes a brief stop in kei before setting off for tai to find his king, who he believes is still alive though you never hear from him again........and this is supposed to be the happy ending

Overall the fact that it was shoehorned in kinda ruins the story, it would have been a great standalone horror and just staying that way.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:57 am

After Dark is a quaint little book. Murakami doing his thing where the edges of normalcy and the mundane tap into the roots of either unsettling myth or the supernatural. Just halfway in one sitting and had to force myself to stop. I'll read the rest tomorrow night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, finished. Reading the book late at night the parts with the Man with No Face actually made me a little uneasy, even though nothing malevolent is ever actually suggested about his presence. I really like how the messages from the mobile phone in the 7-11 stick with you well after the the end too, tying directly into the ever pervasive sprawling city-tentacled creature analogy used throughout the book (Takahashi's anecdote about his studying law another part of this also).
    "You can't get away. You can run, but you'll never be able to get away."
:bigeyes:

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:29 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, finished. Reading the book late at night the parts with the Man with No Face actually made me a little uneasy, even though nothing malevolent is ever actually suggested about his presence. I really like how the messages from the mobile phone in the 7-11 stick with you well after the the end too, tying directly into the ever pervasive sprawling city-tentacled creature analogy used throughout the book (Takahashi's anecdote about his studying law another part of this also).
    "You can't get away. You can run, but you'll never be able to get away."
:bigeyes:
It's pretty spooky.

I'm done with that collection of Herman Melville's short fiction, and while there's a ton to comment on I just read a very short story called John Marr that was really striking. It's about a man who is a sailor all his life until sometime past middle age he settles down in a frontier town in the midwest and gets married. His wife and kid die soon afterwards, the entire story is about his life among hardworking, quiet, upright people whom he has nothing in common with. John reminisces often about his friends from his sailing days and it really drives home the idea that, in an alien setting, people you once knew (who could and probably are still alive) are nothing more than phantoms. The language is very affective, makes the emotional content even stronger. Here, have the ending poem:

SPOILER: Show
Since as in night's deck-watch ye show,
Why, lads, so silent here to me,
Your watchmate of times long ago?
Once, for all the darkling sea,
You your voices raised how clearly,
Striking in when tempest sung;
Hoisting up the storm-sail cheerly,
_Life is storm--let storm!_ you rung.
Taking things as fated merely,
Childlike though the world ye spanned;
Nor holding unto life too dearly,
Ye who held your lives in hand--
Skimmers, who on oceans four
Petrels were, and larks ashore.

O, not from memory lightly flung,
Forgot, like strains no more availing,
The heart to music haughtier strung;
Nay, frequent near me, never staleing,
Whose good feeling kept ye young.
Like tides that enter creek or stream,
Ye come, ye visit me, or seem
Swimming out from seas of faces,
Alien myriads memory traces,
To enfold me in a dream!

I yearn as ye. But rafts that strain,
Parted, shall they lock again?
Twined we were, entwined, then riven,
Ever to new embracements driven,
Shifting gulf-weed of the main!
And how if one here shift no more,
Lodged by the flinging surge ashore?
Nor less, as now, in eve's decline,
Your shadowy fellowship is mine.
Ye float around me, form and feature:--
Tattooings, ear-rings, love-locks curled;
Barbarians of man's simpler nature,
Unworldly servers of the world.
Yea, present all, and dear to me,
Though shades, or scouring China's sea.

Whither, whither, merchant-sailors,
Whitherward now in roaring gales?
Competing still, ye huntsman-whalers,
In leviathan's wake what boat prevails?
And man-of-war's men, whereaway?
If now no dinned drum beat to quarters
On the wilds of midnight waters--
Foemen looming through the spray;
Do yet your gangway lanterns, streaming,
Vainly strive to pierce below,
When, tilted from the slant plank gleaming,
A brother you see to darkness go?

But, gunmates lashed in shotted canvas,
If where long watch-below ye keep,
Never the shrill _"All hands up hammocks!"_
Breaks the spell that charms your sleep,
And summoning trumps might vainly call,
And booming guns implore--
A beat, a heart-beat musters all,
One heart-beat at heart-core.
It musters. But to clasp, retain;
To see you at the halyards main--
To hear your chorus once again!

John Updike wrote an introduction to this collection I read, and while the stories are incredibly variegated in content the introducer aptly points out that they all aspire to some grand scale or cosmic concern. They have this and their robust prose in common with Moby-Dick. I'm unlikely to forget the vivid imagery and philosophical ruminations of the descriptions of the barren islands in The Encantadas or the rigorous character work in Billy Budd for a long time, to name but two standouts. Though not all of the uncollected sketches were up to par (The Piazza Tales were all more or less excellent) Melville has proven to me that he's just as capable an author of short stories as he is of novels.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:35 am

My favourite reading has always been fantasy and science fiction. I learnt about fantasy from Tolkein, and Anne McCaffrey, and Ursula Le Guin, among others, and about science fiction from such luminaries as Clarke, Aldiss, Asimov, Ballard, and the like.

What I liked about fantasy was that it enabled me to study personal relationships without the distraction of the real world, and science fiction did the same, but with the addition of mind-broadening ideas in the form of half-serious predictions.

Most of the fantasy and science fiction I still enjoy I found in my student years in the 1960s, or in the continuing bibliographies of those same authors I had discovered then. But one book that came along later had a big influence on my thinking about society and the things that are wrong with how it has developed over the past century: The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner.

But it is not my purpose to talk here about this book, or any other, just to record that I have now read another book which has a considerable amount in common with The Shockwave Rider, in the way that children are mined and developed for the excellence of their minds, and what this tells about society, and that is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. This was recommended to me a few weeks ago by a member of this forum, and I am very grateful; I think it will join my very short list of books that I return to read regularly, and that is as much recommendation as I think it needs from me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, PW-- it is unquestionably one of my favorite books, if not my favorite outright.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:30 am

The Two Towers. My god this initial section with the Ents goes on for-fucking-ever.

:lol:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 am

Perhaps you are being rather ... hasty.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:15 am

Heh - touché, Tines.
Touché

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Speed Limits by Mark C. Taylor is pretty good so far. I think the book could use a few extra pages, seeing as Taylor develops some points better than others, especially when he argues that technological paradigms affect perception - not in the sense of changing what we perceive, but how we perceive it.

Also I'm finally going to fucking finish Neuromancer for real this time.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:15 am

Ant Colony by Michael DeForge was somewhat shit hipster drug music comic book filled to brim with nicely garish color palate, amusingly homosexual ant protagonists, the surrealistic comforts of the absurd, and a vaguely disreputable end note that was not only lacking but seemed to reach for the ambiguously postmodern disheveled attempt at making some point. I didn't agree with the point it made and it didn't do a great job making the point in the first place, if it was even trying to do so at all, but the colors were nice and it felt nightmarishly amusing enough, so it was enjoyable. I probably won't read it again.

Blobby Boys by Alex Schubert is stale, unfunny, colorful trash. I think that's the point. If that isn't the point, then I'm wondering why it was written at all, because it's pretty awful.

Aias by Sophocles is, as per usual, fantastic and worthy of both praise and study. START WITH THE GREEKS. AJAX LIVES ON IN OUR HEARTS. GO READ IT AND LAMENT STATE OF THE WORLD

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Finished Exile and the Kingdom on the way back from my grandparent's yesterday, the last of Camus' fiction I had left to read. His short stories are not as good as his novels, but they're good primers for themes he handles in greater detail in his longer works. Loneliness is a problem in some form or another in all of these, but if you're looking for outliers I'd say The Artist at Work and The Renegade are most worthy of attention. Both feature atypical protagonists, the former afflicted with a cheerful single-mindedness that causes others to misinterpret his actions or inaction, the latter perverted into worshipping violence and hatred after being taken captive on his way to proselytize, and a frantic, fevered, disorderly narration that forces you to understand some passages retroactively. Both endings are the crux of their respective stories: The Renegade's is brutally conclusive, The Artist's happily (???) ambiguous. The Artist is longer, subtler, more domestic. There are none of the brutal extremes to be found here as in The Renegade. Much of it is heartwarming, actually, though it becomes progressively more distressing until the very end.

I recommend all of them, but if you are looking for stories representative of the widest range of narrative techniques Camus has to offer, those two are your best bet.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:55 am

Finished up The Two Towers. It's funny, as I was dreading the parts with Frodo and Sam because they're my least favourite in the film adaptation. Typically you'd think the battles, all the Helm's Deep stuff, would be more interesting. Instead I enjoyed their portion the most, especially all the Ithilien and Henneth Annûn stuff. Tolkein's writing is all about the beautifully descriptive journeys and setting. Everything else, the best example of which being the action, is handled quite matter-of-factly. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but makes sense coming from someone who has an absolute boner for The Silmarillion, I guess.

In the meantime I've moved on to a reread of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (my third time IIRC) before finishing up my Lord of the Rings read-through with The Return of the King.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”