[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 pm

I've been listening to Syd Barrett's solo material today. It's funny that in general this is vastly better than post-Piper, pre-Meddle Floyd (if we excluve Live Floyd as PF was mainly live band in those days anyway)

Some tracks I dig:

Octopus
Terrapin
Long Gone
Baby Lemonade
Gigolo Aunt
Effervescing Elephant
Dark Globe

Golden Hair is probably my favourite. Joyce-through-Syd is just...haunting and harrowing

verdict: immense talent. wasted. ;_______;

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:41 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I've been listening to Syd Barrett's solo material today.

You're a man's man. :thumbsup:

Went on a NIN rampage over the past few days. The Downward Spiral still manages to surprise me from time to time, despite its angsty-ness. Eraser is hands down the best track on the album, but that might just be me loving that freaky ass guitar in the buildup at the beginning.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:20 am

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Eraser is hands down the best track on the album, but that might just be me loving that freaky ass guitar in the buildup at the beginning.

It's been a couple of years since I gave the album a listen through but I agree with you, Eraser is, for me, the most memorable track on the album.
Voluntary Illusion.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 am

The most memorable song from TDS for me is Piggy. That drum solo sounds like someone pushed it down a staircase. Fits wonderfully with the album's theme.

But what I wanted to really say is Captain Beefheart's first album is fucking awesome. It's so different when compared to his other stuff.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:21 am

I've been listening to the Mongoose Box that contains all classical pieces from Nodame Cantabile (as performed by the "Nodame Orchestra" that was responsible for all the music in the show). Marvellous.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 am

Been listening to Salvatore Sciarrino lately. Lohengrin is a demented, marvelous, and beautifully sinister piece.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Recently I've been listening to U2's War and The Beatles's Revolver. Both albums are good, but I'm really into the tunes on War at the moment.
Voluntary Illusion.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:50 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Recently I've been listening to U2's War and The Beatles's Revolver. Both albums are good, but I'm really into the tunes on War at the moment.

War is an awesome album, classic U2.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:29 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:It's not that good, honestly.

I can definitely tell when something is brickwalled and something is not

the Pretty Hate Machine remaster is not as brickwalled as say...Death Magnetic and especially the Malleus Maleficarum remaster (which is a chore to sit through)
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I've been going through a lot of the grunge stuff on my computer recently (yes, I went through a phase when I was about 14). Based on re-listening I have come to the following conclusions.

Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Stone Temple Pilots > Pearl Jam
Last edited by Trajan on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote: (yes, I went through a phase when I was about 14).

Everyone did. :D

Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Stone Temple Pilots > Pearl Jam

Really? Interesting...most people love Pearl Jam (I know I dig that Who cover).

Mine grunge list would be more like Melvins > Soundgarden > Alice in Chains > Nirvana > Pearl Jam. Never did get into STP that much.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm

I actually find them really bland now, can't see what I saw in them back then. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden still pass the quality test however.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm

I only listen to Nine Inch Nails when I want to feel like I'm thirteen again. I get in those moods sometimes. ^^; My favourite tracks are probably "The Ruiner" and "Closer" (yes, it's a cliche) and "March of the Pigs". I was a young bright-eyed thing back then, fresh-faced and ready to face the world. With angst.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:U2's War

If you like their more "raw" stuff you might also appreciate some tracks from October (1981) like "With A Shout". But if you're a big fan of War you really need to dig into their live album from that era, Under A Blood Red Sky (and not just because the name is super over the top). The following tracks are from this record.

- "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" (Originally a single from before their debut album.)

- "Gloria" (Originally from "October".)

My favourite U2 disc has got to be Achtung Baby (1991). Everyone knows "Mysterious Ways" and "One", but I really love the aching sounds of "Acrobat", which is an underrated song that nobody's ever heard of. Oh, and I think the title track from "The Unforgettable Fire" (1984) is probably one of the most beautiful things ever. ^^; Fuck, this makes me swoon so hard. I have to touch myself now and sigh about lost love. And, like, linger by the window and blow mist on it and trace hearts and... and...
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been listening to a lot of angsty chic-rock lately for some reason, all up and down the soft-hard spectrum. No idea why. Mostly stuff by:

Birthday Massacre
Garbage
Eurythmics
Evanescence
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Poe
Radio Iodine
Sarah McLachlan

Before that I was on a motown/soul kick.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:56 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:If you like their more "raw" stuff you might also appreciate some tracks from October

I've heard that there are some nice ballads on this one; I'll check this one out eventually as long as it can hold up to Boy.

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:My favourite U2 disc has got to be Achtung Baby (1991). Everyone knows "Mysterious Ways" and "One", but I really love the aching sounds of "Acrobat", which is an underrated song that nobody's ever heard of.

Achtung Baby was the second U2 album I invested in after The Joshua Tree. I'm not fond of "Mysterious Ways", however "One" and "Acrobat" are two of my favourites from the band. "Until the End of the World", "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" and "Love is Blindness" are also good songs.

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Oh, and I think the title track from "The Unforgettable Fire" (1984) is probably one of the most beautiful things ever.

It's the next U2 album I'm likely to get, probably in September.
Voluntary Illusion.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:I only listen to Nine Inch Nails when I want to feel like I'm thirteen again. I get in those moods sometimes. ^^; My favourite tracks are probably "The Ruiner" and "Closer" (yes, it's a cliche) and "March of the Pigs". I was a young bright-eyed thing back then, fresh-faced and ready to face the world. With angst.

:lol: I tried listening to TDS at work (I do various tasks at Panera) and all I managed to get was some of the weirdest looks in the world from some of the high school girls (mainly from songs like Closer, Heresy and I Do No Want This). It was a blast. :D

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 am

^ Sounds a bit like my own high-school days.

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Stone Temple Pilots > Pearl Jam

Sounds about right, although AiC and Soundgarden run neck-and-neck for me (although Mudhoney should be somewhere in there, if only for Superfuzz Bigmuff).

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Really? Interesting...most people love Pearl Jam (I know I dig that Who cover).

You mean "Love Reign O'er Me"? Yeah, that's a damned good cover.

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:My favourite U2 disc has got to be Achtung Baby (1991). Everyone knows "Mysterious Ways" and "One", but I really love the aching sounds of "Acrobat", which is an underrated song that nobody's ever heard of.

Agreed. Not to mention "Love is Blindness", such a beautiful and disquieting song.

Oh, and I think the title track from "The Unforgettable Fire" (1984) is probably one of the most beautiful things ever.

Yeah, especially love that one.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I'm not fond of "Mysterious Ways"

Aww... regardless, I'm posting the video from their 1993 Sydney concert (Zoo TV, also out on DVD) which I think is the best version ever. The lyrics could be about a sexy lady, or about God, or about God as a sexy lady. It almost makes me into a believer again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQy4AHstPKE

It gets me all hot and bothered just thinking about it. Bono's vocals are fucking incredible in this. It is also worth noting that the Edge married the belly dancer. :3 Cute!

IF YOU LOVE U2 AND YOU DON'T HAVE "ZOO TV" DVD GAAAAAA GET IT GET IT !!!nnkgsjsklgsdg

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Love is Blindness
View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Not to mention "Love is Blindness", such a beautiful and disquieting song.

A rather emotive version from the same concert (where the band was thinking of breaking up, therefore everyone was kind of sad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJcQ48xLIw
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:09 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Stone Temple Pilots > Pearl Jam
I'm with the first two: AIC > Soundgarden > PJ > STP > Nirvana

Dirt got me through a lot of dark times...

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Evanescence
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Sarah McLachlan
I thought I'd love Lacuna Coil but they're basically Korn with an untalented female singer. Evanescence I like better. Amy Lee has an angelic, haunting voice, but her backing band is so bland. I really love their live album and most of The Open Door though. Nightwish are pretty cool, but I find they get repetitive. Sarah McLachlan has a voice to die for and she is utterly bewitching to listen to on my audio system. In a similar vein, I'd recommend Jane Monheit. She's more jazzy to McLachlan's pop, but an even better voice, methinks. Check out her Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most or Some Other Time.

Also, check out The Gathering. Anneke van Giersbergen blows away Evanescence and Lacuna Coil by herself, but the band is also infinitely better, more unique, and more creative. if_then_else is in my top 10 albums and How to Measure a Planet? is in my top 20.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:27 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Also, check out The Gathering. Anneke van Giersbergen blows away Evanescence and Lacuna Coil by herself, but the band is also infinitely better, more unique, and more creative.

This. I would also recommend Devin Townsend's Addicted!, on which Anneke does a lot of vocal work - a good introduction to Townsend too, probably his most accessible album.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”