[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 am

uhh, does anyone know what the hell happened to Jimbo?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Pig farming accident...it was pretty brutal.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:21 am

ZapalacX wrote:Pig farming accident...it was pretty brutal.

I was being serious

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:51 am

I dunno if I've mentioned the band H.P Lovecraft here, its a fairly solid band from the late 60s. They play a mix of electronic, folk, and psychedelia. Unfortunately, they only released two albums before breaking up, and even now, I hear that they're fairly hard records to come across. (I got their second album at a flea market for a buck, go figure)

A few of the songs I like from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKc8Do0MEB4 -High Flying Bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHxuWBzBbpw -At The Mountains of Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJJ5ZuhCeo -Mobius Trip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH0a-EW6DcQ -Blue Jack of Diamonds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WrA0iGsYqk -The White Ship
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:05 am

I just got David Bowie's legendary Low

I totally dig it. Check it out guys, awesome avant-rock

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 pm

i've been listening to The Acacia Strain's albums lately. if anybody heres into hardcore punk or metalcore, i suggest checkin them out if you haven't already.

most notably the tracks "Whoa Shut it Down!" on The Dead Walk and "3750" and "Smoke Ya Later" on 3750.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Maverick
Lilith

Postby Maverick » Thu May 07, 2009 8:18 pm

Talking about music... is anyone here into lastfm?

I joined it last month, and its amazing how easy it is to find music that suits your tastes =)

ops wrong edit!
Boo!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 10, 2009 12:45 am

Froggy Went A Courtin' - Jimmie Rodgers

EDIT: "Froggy Went A Courtin'" is an English folk song whose history goes back several hundred years, first printed in England as "A Most Strange Weddinge Of The Froge And The Mouse" in 1611, though it is unknown who wrote it. At some point in the 1620-30's it hopped aboard with the Pilgrims and the Puritans and came to America. Later on in American history and along with other immigrated songs like "The Old Shoes & Leggins" and "The Butcher’s Boy" ("Railroad Boy"), it went on to become considered "traditional American Folk music", and earned a place in the Great American Songbook that began to take shape in the early 20th century.

The contents tells of a frog that "goes a courting", or searching for one to marry (hence why some versions have it as "A Frog, He Would A-wooing Go") comes across a mouse, asks her to marry him, then going to ask permission from her uncle, then detailing the actions of the guests whom show to their wedding (there's a repetitive nature to it, not unlike "Old McDonald Had a Farm" or "She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain"), the folk process meanwhile adding several words and comical twists to it, like a nonsensical chorus that changes, depending on the traditions.

The performer is Jimmie Rodgers, a singer from the turn of the 20th century, and is many times hailed as “The father” of country music. I like his version due to his distinctive “yodeling”, and the lumbering pace used in this incarnation that was typical of gospel and blues songs of the period. I also like how the bass can be easily picked out, and was given quite a bit amplitude in it’s own right, while the entire tempo of song is still slow, and laid back, unlike the Tex Ritter version which has several other instruments jumping in and out and playing rifs of their own, the Elvis Presley version which is quick and minimal (particularly in regards to how Mr. Presley himself was singing), or the Bob Dylan version which, well, is just his guitar, no bass at all (and his voice being something I only appreciate in certain moods).
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sun May 10, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sun May 10, 2009 1:26 am

Alaska Slim wrote:Froggy Went A Courtin' - Jimmie Rodgers

I'm leaving this post as a reminder of what not to do. Any more shit like this will be summarily deleted.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

iamsynch
Embryo

Postby iamsynch » Sun May 10, 2009 4:12 am

Expansion of Blockade triggered my interest in classical music approximately 2 years ago. 20 months and 200 gbs later, here's what I will recommend. I'm not going to list anything too famous (Mozart, Beethoven, etc) or a famous piece like the Ninth. I assume everyone's already heard those.

Shostakovich's Jazz Suite (album) is great. The melancholy and cynicism found in that album, I could find no where else. It made me realize how horribly shallow modern punk and "emo" rock was. The only other piece matched this album's poignancy in tragedy would be The Passage of Emptiness.

I also recommend Sissel's Where the Lost Ones Go. I realized how incredible she was a singer after listening to a live recording of this. She was rarely if ever off key.. I downloaded some Katy Perry live performances after rumors of autotune.. it was a massacre... she got less than 25% of the notes right...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun May 10, 2009 10:54 am

I've been listening to a lot of techno/electronic music lately. I'm particularly fond of Daft Punk, Justice, and The Crystal Method. Saw Ladytron in concert recently as well, but they were sort of underwhelming. I would definitely like some more suggestions of who to listen to if you guys have any suggestions.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I'm particularly fond of Daft Punk
as am I

not to be totally old school her, but I recommend most anything from the late '70's through the 1980's, like Kraftwerk, Human League, Yazoo, Depeche Mode, A Flock of Seagulls, etc.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sun May 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Brik, have you seen Interstella 5555? It's an anime opera kind of thing set to Discovery. Not a bad watch.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 pm

^
I've seen that. It's pretty good and daft punk is awesome.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sun May 10, 2009 9:42 pm

ZapalacX wrote:of what not to do.

How so?
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sun May 10, 2009 9:54 pm

The post was originally just a song title and artist.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 pm

ZapalacX wrote:The post was originally just a song title and artist.

Ah, I see. Alrighty then.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun May 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Am I the only one that's a NIN fan here and going to one of the shows of this years tour?

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm

backseatjesus wrote:Am I the only one that's a NIN fan here and going to one of the shows of this years tour?

I seen NIN twice :nyao: Lollapalooza '08 and Moline, Iowa '06. I think I'm set on my NIN concerts...besides Radiohead at Lollapalooza was sooooo much better than NIN. ^_^

I just picked up the new Isis and Mono cds. Anyone else fantabously in love them? I <3 ISIS!!!!!!!

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu May 14, 2009 12:09 am

You should really try and see NIN again this year since Trent's going all out.

I like ISIS, but I haven't really gotten fully into them. I don't usually like Growling, but Oceanic is a powerful album.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”