Recent Hauls

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:32 am

Smooth motion features are very random with how they affect what you are watching. I personally can't stand the look of the feature and feel it totally kills the original work.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Just bought the Black Lagoon first season Steelbox set for a paltry ten dollars. I :heart: Bestbuy.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:18 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Just bought the Black Lagoon first season Steelbox set for a paltry ten dollars. I :heart: Bestbuy.

Speaking of Best Buy I say this giant box set of Gantz there for like $30...but didn't pick it up.

Instead I got:
Gunslinger Girl
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Donnie Darko
(all on Blu-Ray)

and more importantly - a kinda new car! :D

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Last week I ordered the Lost Universe and Sorcerer Hunter thinpack sets for under $20 each off Amazon, and both of 'em just came in today. I have no idea what to expect, but considering their prices and my general interest in 90's anime, I figured I couldn't go TOO wrong. I'll start on 'em after I finish Arjuna and some OVAs first, though.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm

I got Pokemon Soul Silver today, and I can't wait to play it soon.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:08 am

I just ordered the 3-disc Criterion release of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and James Udden's epic book on Hou Hsiao-hsien from Amazon. The price of the order was 75 euros / 100 dollars altogether.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 am

From roaming around borders yesterday, I picked up:

Battle Royale Novel (16.00)
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. Season 1 Case 2 (3.00)

Not bad for $20, I suppose.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:24 pm

I just came into possesion of a very beautiful calligraphy set. The brushes are fine and even the ink stick is a work of art. It all comes in a silk covered box. Its very nice, but I doubt im going to get the time or motivation to use it very soon. Depression always kills my work. Still, ill have it there when im feeling better.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I got Air for $12.00. After having seen it, I am no longer in awe of the price.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm

View Original PostBattleMonkey wrote:Smooth motion features are very random with how they affect what you are watching. I personally can't stand the look of the feature and feel it totally kills the original work.
Well, I was noticing earlier that for some reason the feature does seem to add an extreme amount of pixelation to some films. On others it looks quite stunning though. What do you mean it "kills the original work"? It's been a while since I've been to an actual theater but motion does seem a lot more smooth when projected at 24fps than what you get on DVD.

View Original PostOz wrote:I just ordered the 3-disc Criterion release of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and James Udden's epic book on Hou Hsiao-hsien from Amazon. The price of the order was 75 euros / 100 dollars altogether.
I generally try to avoid investing in Criterion since I can rent them. There are some exceptions though and geez I'd love to have so many of those Kurosawa's, Ozu, and a ton of others I could list. Though now I'm waiting until a blu-ray release of TSS to even consider getting it.

As for Udden's book, it's extremely informative but really dry until you get to the part where he's analyzing the actual films. But it really helps to fill you in on the essential historical context and the complex notion of Hou being a very "Asian" or "Taiwanese" director.

Also; I hope you still have enough for the Grand Illusion and The Hole DVD I bought. I should find time to pack them up soon but things have been REALLY hectic lately.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I generally try to avoid investing in Criterion since I can rent them. There are some exceptions though and geez I'd love to have so many of those Kurosawa's, Ozu, and a ton of others I could list.

I've had problems with payment because Amazon doesn't seem to like the credit card I'm using. So I'm not sure if I even end up getting what I ordered because the system is being a bitch right now. The Criterion release of Seven Samurai is probably as good as a DVD release will ever get. I'm trying to create a nice Kurosawa collection and I desparately need a better release of Seven Samurai to replace the crappy Finnish DVD release of it (which I only keep for the Finnish subtitles).

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Also; I hope you still have enough for the Grand Illusion and The Hole DVD I bought.

I've had the money waiting for you the whole time.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Picked up The Thing at the Doorstep, Crime and Punishment, and Good Omens from the bookstore today. Should occupy my time for awhile.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, I received my amazon.com orders today, a lot sooner than expected.
Naturally, I was happy to see that my packages came(inb4obviouspenisjoke). So I open the SW Clone Wars Volume 1 case to see that the volume 2 disc is inside.

I had a blank look on my face.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:The Criterion release of Seven Samurai is probably as good as a DVD release will ever get.
Blu-Ray maaaaaaaan!
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 am

Pre-owned red NDS lite with Pokemon SoulSilver. I was playing it all evening yesterday and will probably be doing the same for the next few weeks. If anyone has any GBadvance or NDS game recommendations I'd love to know!

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:32 pm

I got a laptop that can play BF2 and COD4 on high settings for 650$ I'm very happy.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Combs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:58 am

just got a blood+ dvd box set. My parents must've seen it on conan and assumed I liked it, so theyve mailed to me (though a while after the actuall episode) :|
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:55 pm

When you get a book sale and a gem and mineral show in the same weekend, I'm bound to spend upwards of $50-$60.

What I got:

A piece of the Sikhote Alin meteorite, about the size of the bone at the end of the finger.

A polished thin-slice of a rock containing fossil nautiloids.

Various agate samples from around the world.

Handbook of Illinois Stratigraphy, another book on the structure features in geology in Illinois, and two large foldout maps (these were definitely the most expensive items I got this weekend, $7.50 each)

~15 books from the library sale, the most notable of which was a book written and autographed by Norman Mailer, which I bought for the grand sum of 50 cents.

Looking at my bookshelves, as much as it pains me to say this, but I'm going to start having to get rid of some books :/
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 am

I got so many books this week, and none of them are Ayn Rand either. First, I got my 50th anniversary copy of Naked Lunch, and its more beautiful than I could ever imagine. The green slipcase looks okay, but the book itself is embossed with the calligraphy scribbles from the Olympia edition and all the sides of the pages are inked in black. It smells like it came right off the press. If I had to have sex with just one book, it would be this one.

I also got the three paperback boxed edition of 2666 by Roberto Bolano, which I've been interested in for awhile. And then I got this London Folio Society slip-cased copy of Les Enfants Terribles by Jean Cocteau and a little hardcover copy of Valerie Solanas's SCUM Manifesto.

But it's not enough, I need more. Much, much more.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”