Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:03 pm

We are getting a 2nd Black Panther comic, 1st is really great so I hope this one will be on par with it.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... of-wakanda

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:50 am

View Original PostRay wrote:This isn't a commercial. . . this actually happened in an actual comic book storyline.

Holy shit, don't know how I missed this the first time around; trying to fob off an ad as some kind of canonical story? It's in every DC rag at the moment.

10/10 shitposting, Ray.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Holy shit, don't know how I missed this the first time around; trying to fob off an ad as some kind of canonical story? It's in every DC rag at the moment.

10/10 shitposting, Ray.

I don't think he was shitposting.
The ad confused several people when it was placed in the middle of Action comics were a Doomsday battle was/is actually happening in the current arc.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Business as usual at marvel.
Inhumans vs X-Men announced, I thought this would have been covered by The Death of X.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsr ... -6a415.jpg

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:40 pm

"Fuck the X-men"
Marvel in a Nutshell

Also that's JUST the civil war cover, are you fucking kidding me.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:21 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Inhumans vs X-Men announced...

Called it! Sure, and I'll read it too, because I'm a sucker and obviously a masochist as well.

:um:
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 am

Kenneth Rocafort continues the Lord's work in the vein of Kirby and Lee...

Ultimates #9  SPOILER: Show

Gorgeous stuff. It really is a shame he's going to be leaving the title in the near future. Bugger.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 pm

Francis Manapul posted a bunch of gorgeous teasers for Trinity.
SPOILER: Show

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:53 am

I've been enjoying Jason Aaron's Thor post-God of Thunder way more than I thought I would, and Russel Dauterman's art is freaking stunning...

"Calm thyself down."  SPOILER: Show

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Francis Manapul posted a bunch of gorgeous teasers for Trinity.

Great stuff, although I wish they had a bona fide writer on the title. Personally I'll be hinging on reviews on whether to pick it up or not. Doesn't help that I'm reading a metric shit ton of DC at the moment.

What else have you been digging out of the Rebirth stuff, MA? I'm smitten with Superman, Flash, Green Arrow, Batman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman and Titans. I've been enjoying Aquaman as well but I wish Brad Walker was the consistent interior artist; dude knocked it out of the park in #1. He was also a big reason why I liked the recent Sinestro book so much as well.

vs Manta - Aquaman #1  SPOILER: Show

Have you been reading Ultimates? Travel Foreman released some teaser concepts for Ultimates². I hate that the book is going through a pointless retooling/renumbering but Travel has been a favourite of mine since his run on Animal Man in the New 52 with Jeff Lemire. The more awesomely drawn T'Challa I can get, the better.

Ultimates² Concept Art  SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Oh joy ultimatum didn't kill ultimates, I'm sooooooo happy/s
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:40 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Oh joy ultimatum didn't kill ultimates, I'm sooooooo happy/s

The current Ultimates series has nothing to do with the Ultimate Universe.
Its a cosmic defense team with this line up.

Only thing they have in common with the Ultimate Universe is the team name and they operate out of a Triskelion base.
Really good Sci-fi heavy book.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:1.) I've been enjoying Jason Aaron's Thor post-God of Thunder way more than I thought I would
2.) What else have you been digging out of the Rebirth stuff, MA?
3.) Have you been reading Ultimates? Travel Foreman released some teaser concepts for Ultimates². I hate that the book is going through a pointless retooling/renumbering but Travel has been a favourite of mine since his run on Animal Man in the New 52 with Jeff Lemire. The more awesomely drawn T'Challa I can get, the better.

1.) Glad to hear it.
2.) I was most hyped for Wonder Woman and despite the amazing art its not wowing me like I hoped, its good no question, but I expected too much I guess, I do like what they are doing with Cheetah a lot.
Superman is probably the book I am enjoying the most, loving the family dynamic which is surprising really as I never liked the idea of Clark having a kid until the Lois & Clark mini. But overall I am enjoying all the Dc books I am reading currently.
3.) Few issues behind on it.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:44 pm

I'm stoked that Superman has been awesome so far. #4 was trippy and weird as hell, and I liked that Eradicator as vessel for Kryptonian Instrumentality beat. Also, with rotating artists between Patrick Gleason, Dough Mahnke and Jorge Jimenez; hands down best art in the entirety of Rebirth. It's only right that Superman deserves high quality comics as much as Batman and the other Four Pillars of DC.

FREEDOM IS ONLY WITHIN.  SPOILER: Show

SON OF SUPERMAN.  SPOILER: Show

Over at Marvel, Kingpin seems to be one of the very few books thriving in the Civil War II paradigm. Two issues in and I'm surprised how much the messy, quirky art has hooked me. It does help though that it's nicely written and executed (this is the first time I've read anything from Mr Matthew Rosenberg but I am impressed). It's like reading a hard-boiled crime comic from Brubaker or Azzarello, which is great. I'm getting the feeling the next six to twelve months are going to be huge for the street level as well; between Daredevil, Punisher and Kingpin and their respective titles.

"Trust cannot be bought cheaply."  SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Manifest Destiny Recently took a VERY dark turn.

They aren't shying away from the darker side of American Expansionism. But somehow when they do it with monsters and demons it becomes even more shocking than it otherwise should.

I don't want to spoil the twist, but . . .
Imagine if After they beat the empire at the end of Return of the Jedi, the Rebels shot and murdered all of the Ewoks.

In the most recent Story arc they stumble upon the ruins of a failed Spanish expedition, where they see evidence of Cannibalism. But in reality it's actually something far more sinister, and it goes into the psychology of a very troubled man who's very faith and belief in inherent meaning is challenged when he sees evidence that
An Ape may actually have sentience.

It's like Heart Of Darkness, only with supernatural creatures, and American Colonialism.

The Madness  SPOILER: Show

Mark Millar Also Returned with Jupiter's Legacy 2. While it is quite lighthearted for a series where the Son and brother Of the Superman-Expy murder him and take over the world, also has a bit of Millar's Shock Humor.

There's this scene where a Baptist Minister tries to kill Supervillain Walter Sampson by blowing himself up, with an atom bomb, at point blank range. I don't know why, I should find the scene horrifying, but the way Millar sets it up and executes it, makes it unexpectedly Hilarious.

"Congratulations! Now burn in the name of the Lord Jesus!"

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:33 pm

First bit of interior art for Unworthy Thor plus interview.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ighty-thor

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:10 am

Recently finished reading Preacher so the show doesn't ruin it for me. Been meaning to for a long time but it was worth the wait.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 am

Some lovely preview art of Valiant's Savage; basically their Turok analogue as they no longer have the rights to the character. Pencils by Lewis LaRosa who's doing the interiors and covers, so yes, that's what the art will actually look like in the book. Absolutely gorgeous stuff. Almost a crime to mar it with inks and colours.

Savage.  SPOILER: Show

View Original PostRay wrote:Jupiter's Legacy 2

I think this series is the best Frank Quitely's art has ever been; the first volume is what turned me into a fan in fact, and I never cared for his stuff much beforehand. I loved the battle scene with Raikou as well, although Brandon losing his shit at the suicide dirty bomb takes the cake for this issue for sure.

vs Raikou - Jupiter's Legacy 2  SPOILER: Show

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Recently finished reading Preacher so the show doesn't ruin it for me. Been meaning to for a long time but it was worth the wait.

So, what's up next?

^_^
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Robert Kirkman has announced he's finally concluding his Superhero yarn Invincible.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... invincible
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:52 am

Just finished The Black Monday Murders #1. Fucking hell, I think I have a new favourite. I just hope it doesn't disappear after two or three issues like Hickman's other equally impressive and promising series, The Dying & The Dead, which also had an oversized first issue. Recommended for fans of From Hell, the occult, economics, alternate history, conspiracy theories, serial murder yarns and good comics.
Warren Peace, #643919

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:22 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:So, what's up next?

Well, I recently picked up the hardcover of Fight Club 2 and the first volume of Monstress. Been kinda busy, but that's on deck.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:49 am

Wednesday I read 15 issues, so I got myself caught up on several books.
Black Panther is probably the best book from the big 2
coming out right now.
Ultimates is very good. Glad we are getting Miss America rebelling against the team out of the way during Civil War.

Squadron Supreme has been decent. But the last 2 issues have been solidly good.
Apprecaite the team (minus Nighthawk) sitting down & having a honest calm discussion about what they are doing, why they do it, should they do it & should they be blindly following Nighthawk. With many team books they fail to hash things out or voice concerns until it's way too late.
I think I would have preferred Sinister Zarda being put through a forced redemption like a Thunderbolts member rather then them giving us classic good Zarda depowered & being all Black Widow-lite
I hope instead of cancelation they relaunch Squadron soon (with a better artist at the least) and really try to keep it going.

Still behind on Action Comics but Superman continues to be really fun while having some hard hitting emotional punches.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”