Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:41 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I remember prophet when it was a mostly forgettable Image rag. What changed?

Someone highjacked the character and used him as an excuse for high concept SF. It's not bad, but it takes some getting used to.

Saga just didn't grab me. Not bad, and I kinda liked the crazy spider chick, but otherwise it was just sorta there.

I'm completely the opposite (though I also liked the spider chick). This is a well-crafted relationship, and Staples's art is fantastic. The way she does expressions is incredibly evocative. Also, how can you not like Lying Cat? Lying Cat is made of awesome.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:20 am

Not a cat person. That goes about quintuple for giant hairless jerkwad cats that constantly call you on your bullshit in public.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:26 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Not a cat person. That goes about quintuple for giant hairless jerkwad cats that constantly call you on your bullshit in public.

. . . but that's the only cat that's worth a damn. The garden variety are just assholes.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:26 pm

I like cat people.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:54 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I like cat people.

Cat people are pretty cool, but cats are still assholes. They're kinda like Asuka: you don't like 'em 'cause they're nice, you like 'em 'cause they're awesome. Ever hear of magnificent bastards? Cats were doing it before it was trendy.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:03 am

Cats are the master race. Also, glad to see you're liking Saga, Bags. It's a series that also manages to get EVEN BETTER as it goes on, based on characterisation and character interaction alone, although it helps that there are some fucking awesome page-turners in the mix as well. Brian K Vaughan is a great writer and Fiona Staples' art is irrefutably gorgeous.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:58 am

Yes, but:

SPOILER: Show
It's a crime that The Stalk didn't make it past issue five, though. What a waste.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:58 pm

All of a sudden that "Cap is Hydra!" reveal makes sense:

Kind of obvious in retrospect. :toothy:

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:53 am

Picked up volume 2 of Southern Bastards "Gridiron". I was surprised how it acutally made me sympathize with Coach Boss, despite him being the biggest Bastard in volume one. I'm excited to see where this series goes.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 am

Green Arrow Rebirth

The Batman and Superman Rebirth one-shots were kind of cool (albeit non-events serving little other than as expository set-up for the coming #1s), but Green Arrow Rebirth is a fucking awesome little comic book in my opinion. It's self-righteous and self-deprecating at the same time, using a little humour and satire to explore the dichotomy of a character like Green Arrow; a man who claims to be for the people but is a person of immense wealth and privilege.

It helps that it doesn't take it self too seriously, although content-wise things seem to be pretty dark, with an almost supernatural twist like early Vertigo titles. There are minor flourishes of blood and violence even, which might not seem that big a deal - and hey, I have shit like Gantz and Crossed on my shelf - but it instantly sets it apart in tone from the rest of the main DC imprint (this is a great sign for the new Hellblazer book; we can have our cake and eat it too it seems). I did a double-take; GA was actually puttin' red holes through crooks... what is this, Mike Grell's Green Arrow? Oh, and the art!

Green Arrow.  SPOILER: Show

"How can you fight the man if you are the man?"  SPOILER: Show

The underground.  SPOILER: Show

This isn't ya' Uncle Bobo's fuckin' CW programme.  SPOILER: Show

Sure, peoples' mileage is going to vary, but this is a comic just looking to have a good time at the end of the day; a far remove from the trite, try-hard topical nonsense we're seeing in other titles elsewhere at the moment. In fact, I would say it takes the piss out of those kinds of comic books.

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:

This just makes me want to read Scalped even more, because once that's out of the way, then I can start Southern Bastards.

^_^
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Detective Comics #934 (Detective & Action are resuming their original numbering for rebirth)
Really Strong start, very very happy Kate Kane is a primary character here and a equal on the team to Bruce.
Don't care for Tim being on the team but the rest (Bruce, Kane, Spoiler, Cain, Clayface) is awesome.
Barrows art is fantastic.
Cassandra Cain is going by the title Orphan.
Batman hypes the shit out of her.

Action Comics #957
Zircher's art is... good enough. (Sooooo pumped for Gleason on the Superman title)
Doomsday!

Again? Really?

Wonder Woman - Rebirth #1
Good.
Expectedly Rucka is setting up to
probably throw out the daughter of Zeus origin with Diana in turmoil as in her words... "the story keeps changing".

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:03 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Cassandra Cain is going by the title Orphan.
Batman hypes the shit out of her.

That costume is terrible, also orphan is a very generic superhero name.
Yes I will continue bitching about stuff like this and never be happy but both the black bat and batgirl costumes were great, just use the black bat one if you dont want to use batgirl.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:45 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:That costume is terrible, also orphan is a very generic superhero name.
Yes I will continue bitching about stuff like this and never be happy but both the black bat and batgirl costumes were great, just use the black bat one if you dont want to use batgirl.

The outfit is kinda generic Ninja I will concede.
However I am content now that I see that Cain's trademark stitching across the mask is back.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:56 pm

CIVIL WAR 2 #0-2
- Bendis speak is present in #1 but absent in #2 thankfully.
- Bendis contradicted himself hard. Tony faces Karnak and states that he built his armor while thinking of Karnak's ability to pinpoint any weakness and Tony claims his armor has none and beats Karnak... this coming only like 4 pages after Medusa's hair completely breaches the armor with ease.
- Holy crap I know people talk about the first Civil War being unbalanced in who is presented as the good guy or bad guy but this blows that out of the water.
Tony is loosing his fucking shit while Carol is being obscenely peaceful, fair and happy to negotiate. Before Tony even looses Jim he is just being irrational as fuck about the visionary kid. No one is forcing anyone's hand like Maria Hill did to Steve in the first war. This is ALL Tony 100%. After the shit he pulls in issue 2 I can't imagine how anyone is going to side with him in this war.
- Whats most puzzling about this is Tony is Bendis's pet character now, he is writing this and both of Tony's ongoing series. I can't imagine he thinks Tony is in the right.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:49 am

Flash Rebirth

Basically DC Universe Rebirth #2 and one hell of a primer. Really enjoyed it, being my very first actual Flash comic and all (although I've already begun preparations to dig into Mark Waid, Mark Millar and Grant Morrison's respective runs from the 90s on the title), I feel like Joshua Williamson is going to bring his all; his love of the character and the universe is palpable. I'm also really looking forward to his upcoming story that's been solicited in advance. Godspeed is going to be fucking sick. What an unbelievably awesome and so-obvious-can't-believe-they-haven't-used-it-before name for a villain.

The art is great too. Carmine Di Giandomenico drew that X-Factor series that I was always raving about a couple years ago now and is crazy underrated. Dude has serious style. Him and Kris Anka both could draw superhero comics for European fashion magazines and no one would bat an eye. Carmine also manages to give that scene from DC Universe Rebirth so much more oomph and finesse. This version is superior with little to no doubt.

Reunited.  SPOILER: Show

I like how he renders Capullo's new Batman design with what little he shows, and something about the composition in the following pages gets me going as well.

"There is no laughing in the Batcave."  SPOILER: Show

Up next in Rebirth for me: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Action Comics and Detective Comics
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:18 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Detective Comics #934

Read this today. I don't want to say it, but I have the feeling this comic could potentially blow Tom King's main title out of the water. It most likely won't - going by Tynion's writers status of more of a journeyman than a great, and King is really rather exceptional - but MAYBE; it sure as hell has all the ingredients to work. I mean, come on, a team book made up of the Batfamily? The art from Eddy Barrows is also marginally better than what Janin or Finch can offer. Barrows' Batwoman is frigging gorgeous:

I like what they're doing with Spoiler and Orphan, and I for one like their designs and how they're being handled so far. Cass Cain especially is completely badarse. My only complaint is the terribly generic design of the "Batmen" on the last page, and the fact that the Detective title almost seems too low key and unsuited for the premise and concept. It really should've been given a new name of its own, or they could have revived the Gotham Knights moniker. I won't whinge too much though, as they're bringing back the gorgeous 1930s art deco inspired title logo as of #935.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Wonder Woman - Rebirth #1

I loved that page where she crushes Ares' helmet as if it were nothing, followed by the scene where all the mirror shards reflect different continuities/perspectives. I also really liked how it changes to Liam Sharpe's art once Diana dons the new outfit.
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:58 am

Superman #1

"The colours will fly."  SPOILER: Show

:peace:
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:21 pm

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Yassssssssssssssssssss
Aaron & Copiel are launching The Unworthy Thor!!!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ron-copiel
I'm slightly wary dew to Aaron's social Justice Streak on FemThor such as the Titana Scene & how he is treating Odin, and having Asgard revolt against Odin's rule... for no apparent reason beyond him being male along with some other writing issues regarding Jane's cancer situation.
However I do like the fem Thor book more then most people, Aaron is not even a 3rd as bad as Spencer is sjw-wise. And Aaron did write God Butcher/God Bomb which remains among my top favorite comics ever.
I was hoping for Marco Checchetto to be on art when this was inevitably announced but Coiepl is a joyfully fantastic choice also.
So I am very down for this.

Some thoughts on other comics I am reading...
Batman #1-2
Meh.
Don't like Bruce saying he doesn't even trust Alfred over a birthday present, even as a joke.
The very flat coloring is growing on me.

Superman #1-2
Strongly loving it! Gleason's art is perfect for the title.
Good number of heartwarming moments while still keeping things serious

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”