FML general thread [8]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: FML general thread [8]

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Pretty much everyone done with their teens is a twenty-something mind in a whatever age body. The only difference is the number of responsibilities you have, how your current social circle pressures you to behave, and how much you have to lose if you rebel against either of those. Nobody ever really 'grows up' past this point, they just convince themselves and/or others that they do. At no point will a council of respectable elders grant you official access to the secret lore of adulthood. Everyone is just faking it as best they can.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Adulthood  SPOILER: Show
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Had a bit of an overeating binge of French fries which gave me a tummy ache and also got me thinking I need to seriously alter my diet or I could seriously die in just a few years.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Pretty much everyone done with their teens is a twenty-something mind in a whatever age body. The only difference is the number of responsibilities you have, how your current social circle pressures you to behave, and how much you have to lose if you rebel against either of those. Nobody ever really 'grows up' past this point, they just convince themselves and/or others that they do. At no point will a council of respectable elders grant you official access to the secret lore of adulthood. Everyone is just faking it as best they can.

True enough, it's just that some people claim to be so "adult" and yet they're hiding their immaturity. At times I told myself it's pretty much pointless to argue with my sister who thinks she's right all the time, and indeed she may never understand how much I'm going through.

Oh, well, I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be walking out of this stupid trap on my own feet instead of on a stretcher.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 am

There was an altercation across the complex from my work last night which resulted in a guy shooting at a group of people. Nobody was hurt thankfully and the guy was arrested a couple of blocks away.

Local news media is reporting that it happened on our property and in our parking lot which is a outright falsehood. So I expect things to be rough business wise for awhile since people will view us as "Unsafe" even though it happened well away from our building. All thanks to bad reporting.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 pm

While reading a daily comic on Danbooru I noticed the "amputee" tag (and its multi-thousands occurrence). I guess I should've known better than clicking on that tag on a site that also hosts rather risque (and more) drawings... :facepalm:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:While reading a daily comic on Danbooru I noticed the "amputee" tag (and its multi-thousands occurrence). I guess I should've known better than clicking on that tag on a site that also hosts rather risque (and more) drawings... :facepalm:

Gorn is pretty horrifying. Even knowing it exists and people like it is horrifying.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Gorn is pretty horrifying. Even knowing it exists and people like it is horrifying.

Oh no, gorn was not the problem - most of it is so crazily over the top that I involuntarily crack up any time I see any of it anyway (a bit like some overly bloody horror movies where the bright red blood pisses all over the place in quantities a blood bank would be proud of). The problem was the number of images featuring quadruple amputee (we're talking short stumps tied off like one would tie off a sausage here) but otherwise unscathed and very big breasted (a very realistic combination...) ladies being 'loved' (yeah right) for their handicap only...

...the other category of "disturbing" images that I rather loathe involves strong females and artists who hate them for not being completely subservient. Let's not talk about the kind of images that one results in... :cringe:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Taking the bus sucks. But man its never a dull moment. The people you see on the bus will stick with you long after they're gone.

I was late for something important today, but not because I overslept. Because someone on the bus had to be a prick. An old lady, a miserable old hag. She had a plastic bag with her, and what was in that bag . . .smelled like something dead. Whether it was a rat or a cat or a severed head, I dont know. But the smell stunk up the whole bus. I contemplated getting off halfway because the smell was that bad.

After about 5 stops the bus driver had enough he stopped the bus and politely asked her to get off. And she and him proceeded to get into a heated argument. Eventually, he won out, but by the time he did I was already late for class. And the rotting corpse smell from that bag she held stuck with us until I did make it to my stop.

Now my throats sore from breathing in Corpse Ladys ssmell. I've got something more important to do tomorrow, and If I get sick I won't be able to make it.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 am

Shitty day today. Literally. Cool story my ass. :facepalm:

* Without warning the dog came up the dinner table and ate the lunch leftovers, just as I was busy washing the dishes. Fuck this, I thought the dog was supposed to be in the bedroom.
* Friend called, said he was going to buy a laptop that was labelled a Sony Vaio, supposedly with an i7 processor, 8gb of memory and a 500gb hard drive. Asked if it was for real, but I told him to send pictures immediately so that I could verify it, check its appearance. Dunno why he didn't, but two hours later, I arrived, saw it was a fucking fake, a recycled Fujitsu laptop but with fake Intel and Sony Vaio stickers. He just lost the equivalent of US$160 to a sweet-talking swindler. For God's sake, I told him, you should've sent me pictures first and I would've saved you from this fucking swindle.
* Came home to arrive that my room was spattered with dogshit. Had to mop the floor with bleach.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 am

Got to school a little early today, so of course morning class is cancelled. Hanging around with nothing to do for the next several hours... Wheeee.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Got a new phone case today, and in the process of swapping it out I accidentally dropped my Pixel while it was 'naked' and cracked the back glass. And of course one of the little spiderweb cracks just has to go over the camera. :facepalm:

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 am

I'm not feeling particularly good these last couple of days, mainly because I can't stop thinking about the nonsense that's been going on lately in America and Britain (which, speaking as a 20-something in Ireland, are things I know that I can't do anything about).

I've learned to ignore social media and have made steps to carry on with my life as best I can, but with the Senate voting to tear down internet privacy rules in the last few hours and today being the day Britain hands the Article 50 letter to the EU, it's really hard for me to stop thinking about it.

I wouldn't consider myself depressive; more just prone to anxiety from overthinking everything if I feel I have reason to. And yet, even during days where I feel particularly awful, I could at least believe that it was just me with the problem for that day - that everyone else is fine, and the world at large would be alright.

Lately, however, that doesn't seem to be the case. The (western) world seems to be going off its rocker, supporting dumb ideas and the dumb people who mindlessly spout them, and I don't know how to deal with that. Again, tried to ignore things that I can't control and get on with my personal affairs, but I can't stop thinking about it. I wish I knew what to do to stop myself from thinking about terrible things I can do nothing about.

I've considered maybe getting hypno-therapy once or twice to subconsciously help me out, but I'm too terrified of the existential nightmare that is deliberately being made unaware about aspects of yourself or the world, realizing that's happened and then doubting how much of yourself is real.

It could just be the mood I'm in this week; I usually manage to get by despite the general malaise; but I'd like some advice on what to do. If anyone can give me a good idea, I'd really appreciate that. Thank you.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 am

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:I'm not feeling particularly good these last couple of days, mainly because I can't stop thinking about the nonsense that's been going on lately
Let#s try and put a little bit of perspective on this. When I was about your age, the "nonsense going on lately" was the sabre-rattling of the Cold War. Now, a generation on from the end of that, it's just things getting back to politics as normal after it's become clear that, whatever the sentiment was at the time, history didn't end when the Berlin Wall came down.

What to do? Focus on things that you can do something practical about in your own life and community. Take advantage of the time of year and get out into the fresh air and such sunshine as reaches the Emerald Isle. Do something physically strenuous.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Despite a very good and much needed vacation last weekend, it seems it really did not do much to help my current state of worsening depression. (Though distant worlds was fantastic, not knocking that at all.)

The only time I really feel happy anymore is when I'm working. Granted, right now I am working 13 hour days to get all of the preparations in order for our playpass go live date of May 2nd which is kind of a double edged sword as it is helping and fueling the problem all at the same time. All of the overtime is helping me to save for a vacation to Europe next year which is great, but at the same time it's doing little to remedy the problem that throwing myself at work is covering up.

I feel as if my relationships with friends are falling apart. Either I'm just outright ignored or conflicting schedules cause me not to really be able to be as sociable with them as I probably should be. Bring in the fact some have gotten into relationships and are spending a lot of their time with their other half is not helping either. I constantly feel as if I'm ignored or an after thought. Pile on the fact that my love life is an absolute joke and one can see how my personal life at least in those aspects is a mess.

I constantly feel like I'm on a never ending treadmill of expectations that I cannot hope to meet. I'm 28 and still I live at home despite a very stable job that I love due to the fact I cannot afford to move out because rent in my area for a decent apartment is over double my parents mortgage payment while I look at others my age that seem to have everything going right for them.

I know not what to do anymore. Throwing myself at work like I have been is only going to lead me to burning out yet if I currently don't I just dwell on all the above and feel horrible. Perhaps I need to just disconnect for awhile and find other ways to be happy, but even that thought worries me that I may not have much to come back to if I do. It's already bad enough as it is.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:57 pm

I worked 29 hours in two days as an assistant/lighting technician at a party for the high society (the major of Rome was there and people with bank accounts with more money that I could imagine) and I've been paid like a normal 4 hour part timer. I needed money as any other studend need in this world but I felt like a slave when I've got my money, it was one of the worse feelings ever, so frustrating: they are not even poor for f**** sake.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:17 pm

So I have a new upstairs neighbour on the floor above my apartment (who has a dog, but this isn't about the dog, which is pretty quiet in general). We have a collective heating system, with the tubing running from the basement up through all the apartments. Since my new neighbour has been living in her newapartment she has had the heating in her hallway turned up really high. It's about 15 degrees Celsius outside, the temperature inside my apartment is 21 degrees with my heating switched off (thanks to the tubes being really hot) - quite warm for the night. Now she has turned up the one in her living room really high too (is she naked in there or what? Or is she growing weed?), so it will only get hotter and I hate warm nights. Some people.

Well, at least the positive bit is that my heating bill will go down...hers, on the other hand... :devil:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Crap. I really wanted to go this year.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 pm

The pressure to clean out my old room has reached its highest point. I was supposed to go home and work on it earlier this week, but I incurred some sort of injury to my upper back during an attempt to reset my sleep schedule (= I slept on something funny) and I've been in too much pain to do much of anything other than cry and bemoan how worthless I am. On top of that, I'm terrified of going back to my parent's house, because ever since my sister's family moved in (2014, I think), it's felt like only bad things happen there. When I tried going back about a month ago, all pumped up to take care of my room, what ended up happening instead was probably the worst autistic meltdown I suffered as an adult. These sorts of things do little but encourage aversion and increasing distrust of Self.

But my social worker boyfriend doesn't think I'll get over my fears by cowering here at the apartment, so he's offered to come down to the house with me and stick around long enough to make sure everything goes okay. I'm tired of being scared and anxious all the time, too, so I think I'll take him up on it today. Not looking forward to this.

P.S. All of this stress seems to have had the effect of making me put on 5 lbs. in a matter of days. It took me over half a month to get rid of that shit. Fuck it all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 am

One of these days I may have to unfollow some people off from my Facebook page, specifically people who are too successful or have much what I really seek for (honestly I really LOVE to have a NORMAL LIFE -- a relationship, a job, a family, a home of my own -- just like anyone else at the age of 40) but out of fucking reach, that they make me feel more inferior -- no thanks to a helicopter sister still trying to dictate everything -- instead of being encouraged to improve myself.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”